Sorry BBJ (and league)

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Hellisan, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

As I was getting blown out in the 3Q of a game against BBJ I had to quit out just a moment ago. I told him why on Xbox Live but I feel I should mention it to the league as well.

BBJ was playing a great game on defense and I simply had nothing going for me today. I was definitely losing, all due to his superior play etc.

My newborn started doing her inconsolable crying routine and my wife was flipping out asking me to repeatedly get or do stuff and I just felt it wasn't fair to keep pausing the game as it was going to be a long wait for BBJ.

Therefore I messaged him that he outplayed me, great game, and I had to quit and did so. I apologize if this offends anybody at all. I might not be a good fit for the league anymore for awhile. Let me know your feelings on it.

2. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

lol, Blaza waited for me to pick up my kids at halftime one game... you'll be fine, just be more deliberate about when you play your games. With a little planning you can still get your shit done.

I would say that being in MULTIPLE leagues makes things REAL hard. The wife might be more understanding if you cut down the gaming hours.

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Best I can do is tell her I'm playing etc. Jeff. At this point she doesn't necessarily give a shit that I'm doing this anymore, and probably for good reason. She'd have to be considered the sane one.

Anyway I was gonna continue until it just became clear that it was Stanford's game and that was when I threw a bad interception with my wife yelling BRYAN BRYAN BRYAN because apparently she had been calling me for awhile.

First offensive play of my game wife comes into my field of view and starts grabbing for a pen just below the TV resulting in me getting a safety while trying to throw the ball away. I dunno. But I feel it's important to re-iterate that BBJ just played a great game, hell that pick just before I quit was amazing, he was really on point today with the D.

And I will take the two leagues thing into consideration. There's always the possibility of concentrating on the uprising ;)

4. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

I really wasn't trying to be condescending, just trying to give some examples of things that worked and didn't work too well for me. There are a ton of dad's on the site and I think we can all empathize with your situation. Being a dad and a gamer presents some challenges, but like a said.. a little planning and compromise on your end can go a long way towards creating a harmonious balance for you .

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I know man, and some of you have multiple children too. I knew you weren't and wasn't offended by what you said at all.

6. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Not a big deal if the game was over and you had to scoot, I think its fine to quit out and let BBJ know GG and finalize against the CPU. I have no problem with it.

7. MRamirez

MRamirez Go Devils!

Helli,

Don't sweat this at all........

I've had my wife crawling up my ass many times.

Here are some of her best quotes......

"Grow up! You are not a kid anymore!"

"You have a league game tonight? WTF!"

"You care more about those games than your own family?"

"I wish you cared that much about me!"

"I hope you lose!"

Drama!

When motherfucken "Jersey Shore", "Housewives of Beverly Hills", or "Teen Mom" is on and I do the same shit to her. They don't understand the life of a gamer!

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

LOL suffice to say I feel the same way. My wife likes the same types of shows.

The Biggest loser. Big Brother. The novelas might be the worst of all. :D

Eyes glued to the most overindulgent, unintelligent programming in television history for several hours a day = responsible adult.

League games a couple times a week = loser

9. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

I had no problem with it...

10. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I feel your pain Helli.

I have 3 step kids (8, 13, 14) and a 2 year old with my wife. My wife is typically frazzled because she never felt the need to teach her kids to do ANYTHING for themselves before I came along. Overcompensation for a bad divorce from her first husband I guess. Anyway, because I usually have a pretty good routine for getting things done, I am usually done with the stuff I am responsible for in our division of duties and she is left running around with like a chicken with her head cut off.

As a result, she ends up running by me while I am playing Xbox with laundry, or some other stuff she procrastinated or planned poorly on. Typically my daughter is perched on my lap while I am playing (I try to avoid this for user games, but sometimes it happens). I lost in The Deuce last night because my daughter woke up and wanted me to hold her while playing.:)

Here is my advice:
    1. Cut down leagues to only the ones important to you.
    2. Communicate ahead of time what your plans are. Typically my wife gets bent if something unexpected happens.
    3. Let the people you are playing know the situation so they are on time. Nothing like kicking everyone off the TV for a user game at 9PM then
    your opponent not showing up until 9:45 PM.
    4. Despite you hating her time wasting activity (that's what all this really is), DO NOT try to take the moral OR LOGICAL high ground. It will just end badly for you. You can't argue logic with a woman, it doesn't work. That sounds sexist and perhaps is, but in my wide experience it is true.

Most importantly, talk to your wife when she ISN'T upset and communicate that this is your hobby of choice, no different than hobbies other healthy people have. If you make an effort to consider what really is reasonable (my commitment to this website and leagues is not always reasonable and I deserve some shit for it at times) you wife SHOULD understand that you do care about your responsibilities in life and this is a healthy outlet from the stress you experience.

Now that my daughter is not an infant, I have done a couple things to make it easier for me:
    1. Get her involved. Watch football with her, encourage a favorite team. Point out the fun things, like the band and mascots. I've taken this a little extreme, my daughter usually goes with me to the sporting events I go to (including freezing cold football games, dress her warm) even if my wife doesn't go. My brother loves having her along when we do things together and it gives my wife a nice break. Amelia will actually ask me to "play football" so she can watch.

2. Set up a little play area near where you play. Amelia has a little kitchen she plays at while I am playing.

3. Get your kids on a schedule as soon as you can. Eating, pooping, sleeping. Having some control over this gives some of your free time back.

11. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

I saw this earlier, and I thought I would throw my two cents in because I have been in this situation before, especially with my 6 month old child crying, and my wife asking me to take care of it. If this you were simply playing against the CPU everything would have been fine, it may take a couple of hours to play the game because of the constant pausing so you can address your child's needs. It may screw up your rythum, but your wife will not want to kill you.

In user games it is a lot tougher to pause the game to deal with your child who is in need of constant attention. My advice, is figure out when your child is going to be sleeping or when someone else can deal with your child's needs if he or she starts crying. I think this is the only way I can play another user without my wife killing me.

12. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

dude that's crazy, that is exactly how it goes in my house.

13. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

BBJ, way to represent The Deuce.