Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by hunter07, Jan 15, 2010.

1. hunter07

hunter07 Guest

im sorry i didnt tell anyone about me leaving. i had to go to st.louis for my military physical and i was told on short notice and i didnt have the time to get on and tell anyone. im sorry
  2. Jvigorous1

Jvigorous1 Hokie

Nov 2, 2009
    It's understandable man, don't sweat it. Why did you have to go out of state for a physical?
  3. benbuckeye

benbuckeye Walk On

Nov 14, 2009
    most likely because the military makes you do supid shit all the most often the stuff you have to do makes no common sense.. last year when i deployed. when we were at the mob site. they sent us home on leave the week after thanksgiving...mean while i celebrated turkey day by hanging out at walmart or going to the movies.
  4. smace767

smace767 Walk On

Jun 23, 2009
    Not really my business but i have to interject.

Most states only have one or two places you can take a DOD physical at whats called a MEPS station. Eureka is only 2 1/2 to 3 hours away from St Louis. Most likely the closest one.

Worked at a MOB site and i can tell you in all cases the schedule is determined by money. In some cases the state decides, in in others its Dept of Defense(DOD). Once you get there the clock starts and a lot of people, civilians and militarily who will support the MOB, arrive with you and are getting paid. On top of that, there are laws and regs that say you most do so many days of training before you deploy. Im willing to bet there was something that had to be done the days before or the days right after Thanksgiving that could not get done any other time..

Sorry you had to miss holidays with your family, decisions always seem simple from the bottom. Trust me nobody sat there, when they could have gone on leave too and thought, we will make them go to Walmart for Thanksgiving.

Again not my business but when i see misconceptions about the military i responded. If you ask anybody who has done 5 years in the military and 5 years in a regular civilian job. About 80% will tell you in the long run the Military was the easiest job they ever had. Easy meaning the most pay for the least amount of actual physical work. There are many more jobs then just trigger pullers. Nurses, network admin, legal aids, mechanics, finance, cooks they all have bosses.

Bad bosses exist in every job in the world and some things that are associated with military work life, actually exist in every real / professional job in the world. The difference is in the military you dont get fired for small things or even missing a whole day at work, and your boss cant fire you even if he doesn't like you as a person and there are no such thing as layoffs. The cost for that job security is things have to be done right and no risk can be taken in regard to spending money and the big picture plan. This lack of being able to risk things, makes things seem like Its the hard way or the least common sense way most of the time.

Im getting out my self but for all the things that didn't go my way and i thought was dumb from my level-

-I got paid over 70,000 dollars last year(about 42 dollars an hour for a 40 hour work week). (if i had been deployed it wold have been over 80,000).

work 6 to 7 hours a day and can go to any appointments or pay bills during the day with out penalty to pay.

hour and a half lunch.

over 36 work holidays a year(atleast 3 week days off a month) and 30 leave days a year.( most civilian jobs its 8 holidays a year and 14 days leave).

over 23,000 dollars of college credits(115) at no charge to me but maybe 1000 dollars in books.

For the third time, not my business but to imply the Military does things largely different then any other job without thought process or common sense is not true.
    im willing to bet if they said you can go for thanksgiving week but you will not get paid and you must pay the extra cost for the mob, most of your unit would have stayed and went to Walmart willingly.
  5. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Oct 26, 2009
    Dude you sound like my recruiter, lol. And like my recruiter you mention all the good but forget the one crazy aspect of Army life. Missing an important part where your deployed every other year. Deployed from October 2007-Jan 2009 and guess what? I'm due to leave this year.

So basically every other year I have to look my wife and twin daughters in the eyes possibly for the last time for these benefits.

It's a good step in the right direction for anyone but let's not sugarcoat it. And I would tell you why I stay in but don't want anyone to change their decision on joining up.