****South Carolina Pre-season Outlook****

Discussion in 'Overdrive' started by CharlestonUSC, May 20, 2011.

1. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Quarterbacks= South Carolina returns one of the nations best passers in senior Desi Woods who finished the season national ranked 10th in passing yards. Woods is the traditional drop back passer that, if given time in the pocket, will carve a defensive secondary to pieces. Just ask a few teams from last year's schedule that thought South Carolina was a sure fire win. He has all the intangibles a coach wants and is extremely accurate when making passes in a crowded backfield. Woods is backed up by junior quarterback Jake Samuel who is a reliable second option.​
    OVERALL GRADE= A​

[​IMG]Running backs= The Gamecocks return an experienced stable of old and young faces in the backfield. Led by senior Aaron Baker, 5'11 174 lbs, the Garnet and Black will have a scat back running back leading the way this year. Baker has the speed and explosiveness to make plays when he is in space. Baker will be helped out on third downs by junior back Erik Little. Little, 6'1 223 lbs, is a bruising back that put on 25 lbs in the off season workout programs. Strength and Conditioning coach Craig Fitzpatrick said Little was voted most dedicated by his teammates during off season workouts.​
    OVERALL GRADE= B​

[​IMG]Wide receiver= The Gamecocks won't be lining up any Heisman candidates this year on the hashes. They will have an experienced and reliable group of possession receivers that at times last year couldn't break away from coverages. Of all the skill positions this group is the weak link. They had a poor showing in the annual Garnet and Black spring game and have shown little improvement during summer workouts. Expect South Carolina to go after a game changing wide receiver this year in recruiting.​
    OVERALL GRADE= D​

[​IMG]Tight end= If you're a South Carolina fan be surprised if your team lines up in any two TE formations. The Gamecocks simply do not have the experience or talent at the position to expect much output from it. Sophmore Joel Davis, 6'2 244 lbs, is the heir apparent to the starting role but that isn't saying much. With the backups being oft injured Bryan Dodds and true freshmen Elton May you can't expect any fireworks from this group this season. Elton May was sought after coming out of high school so don't be surprised if he is thrown into the fire quickly if Joel Davis can't perform.​
    OVERALL GRADE= F​

[​IMG]Offensive Line= South Carolina's offensive line will be filled with young fresh faces on the field this year. Two positions will be filled by two true freshmen, one sophmore and two seniors on the right side of the line. Offensive line prospects have not been evaluated well and it is finally catching up to the Gamecocks. Expect the Garnet and Black to load up on recruits this year.​
    OVERALL GRADE= F (only because I couldn't go any lower)​

[​IMG]Defensive Line= The fight in the trenches this year should be a respectable one from South Carolina's vantage point. Although no big names stand out like in previous years, this team has solid fundamental players that will get to the ball carrier and wrap up. Junior Rory Penn, 6'3 265 lbs, will anchor the line and clog as many holes as possible to keep offensive lineman off their linebackers, which was a problem for Carolina last season.​
    OVERALL GRADE= C​

[​IMG]Linebackers= The Gamecocks will be solid in the corps this year as senior middle linebacker Danny Capps, 5'11 250 lbs, will be directing traffic. Capps was named captain last season and that is a moniker he kept during the off season leading workouts and putting on an impressive 15 additional lbs. He has the speed and acceleration to rush the middle and also play the deep zone of the field. Expect Capps to be a finalist for national awards and recognition at the end of the season.​
    OVERALL GRADE= B​

[​IMG]Secondary= Carolina fans can breath a sigh of relief this year as last year's secondary coach, Nick Frazier, has been replaced after a humiliating loss to Clemson in the annual Palmetto Bowl. The Gamecocks have brought in a familiar face in former player Eric Hindes who plans to resurrect a sore spot on the team. With solid players on the corners and head hunters in deep halves expect this group to improve on last season's horrible performances.​
    OVERALL GRADE= C​

[​IMG]Kicker/Punter= Gamecock special teams coahces will rely on a freshmen face this year with place kicking duties in Otis Porter. Porter was not heavily recruited out of high school for lack of leg power. Porter did set state records for FG percentage though and that is what Carolina's coaches will look for. Sophmore punter Darrell Mckenzie returns this year with respectable power but really needed to work on his accuracy and ability to pin the offense in the redzone this season.​

For all inside information be sure to log on to Garnet&BlackInsider.com and don't miss our weekly radio show every Thursday at 6pm on 1400am The Fan!!!!​

• Like Like x 1
  2. BigKing

BigKing Enforcer of Freedom

Nice content Charleston, makes me wish I could get to the dynasty site at work.

3. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

@BigKing
    Don't get me started about the dynasty website man. Hopefully it gets an overhaul for 12 b/c it is too glitchy right now. My last dynasty would always have problems b/c the online recruiting feature was complete garbage. It would always time out and i'd lose my hours and then it would list players committed to me that weren't really there. Oh and luckily I took a day of leave today so all day ncaa for this guy!

4. jtthirtyfour

jtthirtyfour Walk On

good writeup. you can borrow my WRs and TEs if I can borrow your QB for a couple games. my skill players are useless if i cant get the ball to them.

I love it when the names that the game comes up with are ironic

5. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

Good writeup...hopefully I can take advantage of your weak O-Line when we play. I'm gonna be running alot b/c my QB situation is horrible. I havn't had a "good" QB since Tahj left. Gotta work on that.

6. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

[​IMG][​IMG]

South Carolina's Savior!!!??? (Just wait till next year)

7. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

He's a Coors man, you can't fault him for that!

8. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

Gamecock Fans Tailgaing​

[​IMG]

USC jr All-Time Great QB​

[​IMG]

LOL​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clemson vs South Carolina All-time Record

65 - 39 - 4

Winning!!

9. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

I don't know about the Coor's but he has one hell of a rack!!!

10. BigKing

BigKing Enforcer of Freedom

Man Boobs

11. CharlestonUSC

CharlestonUSC Walk On

Touche Sir!