Southern Exposure 11: Rule Revisions

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jayrah, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

LoC Rule Revision

After consulting with Recchem via PM, I have been ok'd to ask you guys what you would like to see for our Southern Exposure league in 2011, based on announced features and improvements coming to the game.

For the sake of argument, we need to assume that all new features and improved features will work properly. If we discover features down the line that are not ok, we can address those as we move through the discussion/dynasty.

Keep in mind that we are joining 2 leagues as well (Rivalry, SE), so we all may want to take a look at the other leagues rules and decide if there are any of these: (y) or any of these:(n) among the differences.

Just for clarification. This is discussion only. Recchem has all final decision authority from my understanding. But it will be really nice for him to get an idea of how we would like our league to run this season. Not to mention with some really good enhancements to the game, we are in for some great discussion here. Let's have at it fellas!

***Personally I think it will be easier to break the discussion off into sections. That way we can have a clear focus of the rule set that we are discussing. So I am going to manage this discussion in a 3-4 day time block. That way everyone will have a chance to weigh in on the subject at hand. I will update the (topic) in the thread title when we move to a new discussion point, to make it easier to follow.***

2. Jayrah

SE AND THE RIVALRY 10 - LEAGUE RULE SIMILARITIES/DIFFERENCES

Let's start by figuring out what we like and dislike about any rule differences between the joining leagues, The Rivalry, and SE. Just simply go into the rules for each and pick out anything that you particularly appreciated for the 10 OD, or didn't, and then if you see something that you would particularly like or not in the joining, weigh in on it for 11.

**Please Note: It's good to get some back and forth going in defending your case for these, but we are joining now people, so let's avoid getting personal.**

On Friday or Saturday we will start moving into specific rule sets.

3. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

I also highly disagree with this rule:

O.11.0 - Spreading the Ball Around: WR's should be the main target for passing plays. HB's should be checkdown receivers and not primary targets. HB receptions should not get out of hand or be a primary aspect of an offensive gameplan. Your 3rd, 4th, and 5th WR should not be a primary target. Majority of passes should be thrown to your two outside WRs with few exceptions.

Because it doesn't include TEs at all. TEs can be the main target just as effectively as one of the outside WRs.

And this one:

D.4.0 - Defensive Subs: OLB are not suppose to play DE, Safeties are not suppose to play LB, etc in any package or formation, even if it's a game based package. It is just too much of an AI headache. Keep players in their original positions at all times.

I don't think this rule needs to exist anymore at all (not sure what type of AI headache it caused to begin with). Those substitutions are SUPPOSED to cause issues with the offense. It's putting OLBs at DE spots to get more speed rushing on the field. They still get pushed around just like any other weak player.

4. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I think the idea behind this one was to try and stop guys from always hitting the slot receiver, who is usually running across the middle. The TE can be a main target and I dont see a problem with the TE being up there on the stat charts with receptions. The basic theory is to spread the ball around and pick different plays. If your offense is basically hitting the TE on a slant or post all game, than thats not sim. Same goes for hitting the HB constantly on routes. Mix it up and everyone should be fine.

The speed is the issue here. Its tempting to just throw your fastest 11 guys out there and all fly to the ball. The problem is the AI blocking. If you have a OLB lined up at DE, we can just fly by the tackle at will, especially if the user is controlling him. In theory, if you lined up and ran a dive against a team with the safety lined up at MLB, then your OL should blow him out of the play. Unfortunately, this doenst happen.

Once we get the game and see if anything has improved we can really get into what rules need to say and which can go.

5. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

I may be biased but I think the rules in place in the SE are more than fair. Rules from Rivalry I didn't like:

1. Aggressive gameplan is allowed, I think all gameplans should be set on default.
    2. Chew clock should be banned except for the last 2minutes of each half, not 4 minutes.
    3. QB sneak banned??

But I don't think we can make definate decisions on specifics until the game is out and we actually play it.

6. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

1. it is banned now - it used to not be but we voted on it and it's banned now
    2. I actually like the last 4 minutes. How is it any different than real life? If I have the ball, need a score to win, and I have the ability to get the first downs to run the clock out, then I would say that I deserve to do so and deserve the win. Yes we're all here to play and be fair about it, but it makes damn good football sense to run the clock out as much as possible when you are tied and going for the lead. Hell, I just lost a game not an hour ago in Climb The Ladder because I couldn't run the clock out as much as I would have liked to because of the rule. Instead of having 4 1/2 minutes left, for him to have a chance to win it, he probably would have had 3 1/2 or less, which would have resulted in him losing the game.

I'm certainly not saying that being able to using chew clock all game should be allowed or anything, but in a tightly contested game, chewing the clock in the final quarter should be good to go. It's up to the defense to stop you. If they can't stop you, then it's on them.

3. QB Sneak is the biggest bunch of bullshit ever. It's up there with the goalline formation FB dive bullshit and it's going to be even HARDER to stop now with proper blocking assignments.

7. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Hey guys, just wanted to shed some light on this subject.

The rules posted in the SE forum are copy and pasted from the general TF rules posted in the new members forum. There's been some things that we've changed and agreed upon for the `10 season that isn't specifically posted in the rules thread. There are some stickies that mention a few things though. As for everything else, like you guys already know, you'll have to wait until `11 drops to actually find out what's good and no good.

I personally am thinking that a lot of stuff is going to be subject to change this year with the new locomotion system.

8. Jayrah

Finally have some time to review some myself.

Don't like:

Going on 4th down(TF rule)
    - Probably most, if not all, agree with the league rule. However personally, I don't understand the 1 yard bumper limit. I think a 3 yard limit is quite acceptable. However I would also move it to inside the 40 yard line. Especially in CFB, more and more coaches are going for it in the short yard situations. Maybe it's been too easy to pick it up in the past, but if the defense has held to 4th down, then they can hold again. I understand the straight play rule though, so I would limit going for it to twice a game unless a team is down in the final 2 minutes of the 3rd qtr and on (or if down 14+ then rule is off).

Hurry up offense (both) - Obviously this rule is up in the air completely.

Play Action on 3rd down (both) - In the past probably very few went run with their 3rd down play call, making play action an AI problem. However, now that draws are capable, I don't like the rule as is. Mostly because I like to run on 3rd and long if I don't feel like turning the ball over, which would make a play action pass legit. But I guess if the AI still has an issue there, it's not feasible to change it.

2 qb offense, wilcat, defensive personnel groupings (all SE rules) I hate, hate, hate the idea of limitations here. Especially with formation subs (and I think you may be able to see personnel adjustments by # this season in the play screen, but can't remember for sure) now in the game. I'm all for mixing it up. It's a football advantage to move multiple players into specialized positions for certain groupings. Going crazy and using a cb for qb because of speed? NO. But smart, realistic adjustments is key to football. Example, OLB to DE. Speed anchor, many teams use hybrids for those 2 positions throughout a game. S up in the box to solidify the LB position? You betcha, especially for multiple wr sets (of which it seems there will be more this year). Anyway, my 2 cents: do away with this one.

Question: With an accelerated clock, what are we going to look at for qtr length? Still 7:00?

9. Jayrah

However I love, love, love recruiting limitations. With the slider and advanced cpu ai, it's gonna be impossible to tell what needs to be done in this area for a while though.

I still don't understand though, when it says you are allowed to recruit X amount of 5* recruits, does that mean actively recruit period (you pick your X# guys at beginning of season and that's who you live and die with, even if you never get to offer to them)? Or does it mean you can actively recruit more, but can only offer scholarships to X amount? Just confused there. Same for all levels of recruits I guess.

10. Jayrah

Sorry for the triple post here, but as I look into these suggestions, there's not going to be too much to go through from a multiple set base. Basically there are 2 thought processes to attack: Rules already in place and Rule suggestions. I thought it might be a bit more melodramatic I guess. Let's free it up for open, easy discussion with this in mind. Thanks guys. And a few really good points so far