Southern Miss Recruiting & Game Summaries 2009

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by JHeb, Jul 21, 2009.

1. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Southern Miss Recruiting & Game Summaries 2009

Southern Miss Recruiting Big Board 2009:
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7
    Stars Position(Type) Name State Height Weight Status
    :4stars: Cornerback (Balanced) Jeff Seward Mississippi 5'9" 160 Committed
    :3stars: Guard (Balanced) Walter Fraser Missouri 6'2" 317 Committed
    :3stars: Tight End (Balanced) Landon Smith Mississippi 6'7" 257 Committed
    :2stars: Wide Receiver (Balanced) Justin Washington Florida 6'3" 172 Committed
    :2stars: Tackle (Pass Block) Kenton Roberts Nebraska 6'6" 310 Committed
    :2stars: Tackle (Pass Block) Justin Mitchell California 6'8" 270 Committed
    :2stars: Free Safety (Hard Hitting) Anthony Moore Tennessee 6'2" 189 Committed
    :2stars: FB (Blocking) Mark Harris Alabama 6'1" 216 Committed
    :2stars: HB (Power) Nick Thomas Arkansas 6'1" 204 Committed
    :2stars: CB (Balanced) Greg Alexander Ohio 6'2" 187 Committed
    :2stars: CB (Hard Hitter) Phillip Fontenot Ohio 5'9" 180 Committed
    :2stars: G (Run Block) David Jenkins Florida 6'5" 297 Committed
    :2stars: G (Run Block) Dan Lawrence Alabama 6'2" 286 Committed
    :2stars: CB (Balanced) Alex Hill Florida 6'1" 187 Committed
    :2stars: HB (Balanced) Joe Ruffin Illinois 6'1" 194 Committed
    :1stars: MLB (Balanced) Nick Brock Alabama 5'11" 237 Committed
    :1stars: Tackle (Pass Block) John Butler Alabama 6'5" 271 Committed

Southern Miss had a maximum of 19 scholarships to give this season. They filled 17 slots. USM accepted one transfer this offseason (WR-UNC) and had one player transfer away from USM.

CONFERENCE USA ALL-CONFERENCE PLAYERS (Pre-Season) 2009:

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
    POSITION NAME CLASS TEAM
    RB Damion Fletcher SR 1st
    WR DeAndre Brown SO 1st
    DT Anthony Gray JR 1st
    LOLB Brandon Davis SR 1st
    SS Justin Wilson JR 2nd
    K Justin Estes JR 2nd

2. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

**I played my game. The info. on it is below. In the time it took me to record all of my stats and enter them on the site my account was not allowed to get back on the servers or something like that and none of my game was officially recorded for the dynasty even though it told me all of my info. was sent to the servers successfully. I'm not sure what else to do about this situation other than to sim my game, take what they give me (assuming a loss) and go from there. I just wanted to explain what had happened.
    UPDATE: I simmed the game and lost 24-31. This now leaves me with DeAndre Brown NOT out for the year. I assume I need to bury him on the depth chart since I can't give him a Medical Redshirt.**

2009: Game 1

#18 Georgia Tech (0-0) v. USM (0-0)

Georgia Tech: Bad to the Bone!
    .....Yellowjackets prove #18 ranking is not a fluke in their stinging attack on the Golden Eagles.

Hattiesburg, MS--In what will surely be the bigger story for the remainder of the Golden Eagles season, star wide receiver DeAndre Brown has been put on the sidelines for the rest of the 2009 season. Brown broke his collar bone in the second quarter after landing on his shoulder after a jump ball attempt with a Yellow Jacket defender near the endzone. The injury to Brown was the icing on the cake today as the Yellow Jackets had their way with the USM offense and defense, thoroughly defeating Southern Miss by a score of 48-17.

Nothing went right for Southern Miss. Sophmore quarterback Austin Davis was rushed all day and never got into a rythm. He had defenders breathing down his neck from the first snap to the last and ended up completing 11 passes on 27 attempts for 196 yards, 1 touchdown and 3 interceptions. Star running back Damion Fletcher couldn't get going for most of the game but did finally put together some nice runs in the 4th quarter, ending up with 120 yards on 21 carries. He punched in a 10 yard touchdown as well.

For those who have Georgia Tech on their schedule this season, be ready for the Flex Bone and all aspects of it. The run game could not be stopped. They blended the pass in well with the run. This game was over in the 1st quarter.

Wow!!

[​IMG]
    Above: This is the only catch you'll see DeAndre Brown make this season. He's out for the season with a broken collar bone, suffered in Game1 v. Georgia Tech...

[​IMG]
    Above: Austin Davis getting sacked. He saw lots of action in this game, most of it from the Yellow Jackets. Sack!

Below: First run of the game for Tech...Gonna be a long day!
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rx6zRs4cDSs&rel=0&color1=0Xbox Oneb1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_profilepage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rx6zRs4cDSs&rel=0&color1=0Xbox Oneb1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_profilepage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Below: Tipped INT turned into a TD for Tech...Oh Brother, here comes the blow out!
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/65Qe5ZUneDM&rel=0&color1=0Xbox Oneb1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_profilepage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/65Qe5ZUneDM&rel=0&color1=0Xbox Oneb1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_profilepage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Below: Long TD run by Dwyer...Unstoppable.
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oNEoV4Wli8Q&rel=0&color1=0Xbox Oneb1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_profilepage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oNEoV4Wli8Q&rel=0&color1=0Xbox Oneb1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_profilepage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Next Game: Southern Miss (0-1) looks to rebound next week against Central Florida in Hattiesburg.

Box Score

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6
    School
    1st​
    2nd​
    3rd​
    4th​
    FINAL​
    Georgia Tech
    21​
    17​
    7​
    3​
    Southern Miss
    0​
    0​
    10​
    7​

GAME STATISTICS

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    Georgia Tech
    Southern Miss​
    Score
    48​
    17​
    First Downs
    18​
    12​
    Total Offense
    403​
    321​
    Rushes-Yards-TD
    45-281-4​
    33-125-1​
    Comp-Att-TD
    6-12-1​
    11-27-1​
    Passing Yards
    122​
    196​
    Sacked
    1​
    3​
    3rd Down Conv
    3-8​
    3-10​
    4th Down Conv
    0-0​
    0-1​
    2-Pt Conv
    0-0​
    0-0​
    Redzone-TD-FG
    3-3-0​
    3-1-1​
    Turnovers
    1​
    4​
    Fumbles Lost
    1​
    1​
    Interceptions
    0​
    3​
    PR Yards
    12​
    15​
    KR Yards
    129​
    196​
    Total Yards
    544​
    532​
    Punts-Average
    3-42.3​
    6-41.5​
    Penalties-Yards
    1-5​
    8-95​
    T.O.P.
    14:33​
    13:48​

Southern Miss Player Statistics

PASSING
    COMP​
    ATT​
    YDS​
    TD​
    INT​
    Davis, Austin
    11​
    27​
    196​
    1​
    3​

RUSHING
    ATT​
    YDS​
    TD​
    LONG​
    FUM​
    Fletcher, Damion
    21​
    120​
    1​
    15​
    0​

RECEIVING
    REC​
    YDS​
    TD​
    LONG​
    DROPS​
    Fletcher, Damion
    3​
    39​
    0​
    29​
    0​
    Morris, Johdrick
    3​
    48​
    0​
    18​
    0​
    Brown, DeAndre
    2​
    65​
    0​
    52​
    1​
    Parham, Freddie
    1​
    36​
    1​
    36​
    0​

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7 Column 8
    DEFENSIVE
    TACKLES​
    TFL​
    SACKS​
    INT​
    DEFL​
    FF​
    FR​
    Williams, Korey
    9​
    2​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    Wilson, Justin
    7​
    1​
    0​
    0​
    1​
    0​
    0​
    Presley, Kendrick
    7​
    1​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    Thorton, Ronnie
    6​
    1​
    0​
    0​
    1​
    0​
    0​
    McGee, Michael
    5​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    Jones, Deddrick
    5​
    2​
    1​
    0​
    0​
    1​
    0​
    Gray, Anthony
    4​
    3​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    Davis, Brandon
    4​
    2​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    Robinson, Marcal
    3​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    2​
    0​
    0​
    Wright, Mike
    4​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    1​
    0​
    0​

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
    KICKING
    FG's (Made/Att.)​
    lLONG​
    XP (Made/Att.)​
    Estes, Justin
    1/1​
    36​
    2/2​

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7
    PUNTING
    PUNTS​
    YDS​
    LONG​
    NET YDS​
    TB​
    INSIDE 20​
    Estes, Justin
    6​
    249​
    54​
    237​
    0​
    1​

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5
    KICK RETURNS
    RETURNS​
    YDS​
    LONG​
    TD​
    Jordan, Justin
    5​
    109​
    26​
    0​
    Fletcher, Damion
    4​
    87​
    25​
    0​

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5
    PUNT RETURNS
    RETURNS​
    YDS​
    LONG​
    TD​
    Jordan, Justin
    2​
    15​
    8​
    0​

Georgia Tech Player Stats

PASSING
    COMP​
    ATT​
    YDS​
    TD​
    INT​
    Nesbitt, Josh
    6​
    12​
    122​
    1​
    0​

RUSHING
    ATT​
    YDS​
    TD​
    LONG​
    FUM​
    Dwyer, Jonathan
    5​
    118​
    1​
    63​
    0​
    Nesbitt, Josh
    23​
    81​
    1​
    24​
    1​
    Jones, Roddy
    10​
    54​
    1​
    18​
    0​
    Cox, Lucas
    6​
    25​
    1​
    10​
    0​

RECEIVING
    REC​
    YDS​
    TD​
    LONG​
    DROPS​
    Cone, Kevin
    1​
    46​
    1​
    46​
    0​
    Melton, Tyler
    1​
    39​
    0​
    39​
    1​
    Jones, Roddy
    2​
    27​
    0​
    18​
    0​

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7 Column 8
    DEFENSIVE
    TACKLES​
    TFL​
    SACKS​
    INT​
    DEFL​
    FF​
    FR​
    Burnett, Morgan
    10​
    0​
    0​
    1​
    2​
    0​
    0​
    Taylor, Cooper
    9​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    1​
    0​
    0​
    Jackson, Kyle
    9​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    1​
    Jefferson, Brad
    5​
    1​
    1​
    1​
    0​
    0​
    0​
    Barnes, TJ
    4​
    4​
    1​
    0​
    0​
    1​
    0​

PLAYER OF THE GAME:

Josh Nesbitt, QB, Georgia Tech: 122 Passing Yards w/ 1 TD, 81 Rushing Yards w/ 1 TD.

3. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Got my tail kicked "bump"...:(

4. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Ouch! Talk about a beating! That offense you faced is what my opponents will be facing all year, but only to a lesser extent as I don't have nearly the thoroughbreds that GT has.

Question:
    How did you get your table headings to look like they do (how they back ground is hilighted)? My columns look like your "Game Statistics" section's column header, but I'd like them to look like the rest of yours.

5. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

You need to ask Shane that, I just went into "edit" his post, copied his whole post then edited it to put my info. in. I assume he got it like that from Avid Manager since that's where he referred me too...I can copy the code and email it to you or whatever if you want...LMK.

6. The Brunsons

The Brunsons Guest

Sorry you lost Brown, it's never fun to lose a player for the season in the first game.

7. The Brunsons

The Brunsons Guest

Sorry you lost Brown, it's never fun to lose a player for the season in your first outing.

8. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Yeah, it totally sucks...I'm worried about all of our guys. In Jello's game v. Colorado, he knocked Cody Hawkins (CU starting QB) out for the season. Not that Hawkins is a super stud like Brown, but still...I'm worried.

9. shane79013

shane79013 Walk On

yeah that sucks losing Brown for the season that dude is a beast in this game. playing GT isn't fun at all either even if you know what play is coming out of the flex its still almost impossible to stop thier godly running backs. hopefully you have better luck against UCF.

as for the code i used its from www.avidmanager.com. you can create a dynasty there. keeps track of almost everything involved in dyansties on the site. its very useful it, makes game summaries take like 5 minutes. just input your info and then it gives you the code to copy.

10. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Okay, that's good to know...I was wondering if you spent all that time putting that code together...Holy cow!

11. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

If anyone can teach me a better way to insert video, I'd appreciate it...

Thanks...

JHeb

**EDIT**

I figured it out with help from Razcalking...Here it is in a nutshell:

1) Upload to easportsworld in your "My Videos" section of the Multimedia area
    2) Find your video as I said above, click on the "download video" icon at the bottom of the screen and save it to your desktop...
    3) Rename the video something you'll remember it as...Example: JonesTDRunMiamiWk2 or whatever.
    4) Open a YouTube account
    5) Hit the "Upload Video" button and find it on your computer. Upload it...
    6) Once it's all downloaded and in your YouTube account, click on the video and copy the part that says "copy embed html"
    7) Come here, go into post mode, hit the YouTube icon at the top, insert your code inbetween them and you should be good to go...

12. prinny297

prinny297 Walk On

Got it uploaded, thanks man :)

13. Jackwacker

Jackwacker Noob

If you have already exited the game but created highlights, can you still upload them to easportsworld at a later date?

I think when i originally did it, it must have saved it to another location that I cant find. I did what you said jheb, but still cant find where I saved them.

14. jello1717

I'm not 100% percent sure I understand the question, but this is how you get them to EAsportsworld:

1. In game go to the highlights section where you can view every play.
    2. Select the play and a camera angle and watch it.
    3. If you like it with that angle, click "a" (I think) to save it to your highlights area. (they are not uploaded to easportsworld yet)
    4. Do the same for all vids you want.
    5. When you're done with everything else (including getting pictures) exit the game.
    6. From the main menu, go to (I'm at work so I may have some names wrong) my ncaa -> easports highlights -> <type of game it came from (IE: online dynasty)> -> whichever game you want to upload highlights from . After you click on the game, all pictures and vids you took are here.
    7. Click "a" on the ones you want to upload.

15. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Season: 2009
    Game #2: UCF

CONFERENCE CONFIDENCE
    USM rolls past conference rival Central Florida 34-10

[​IMG]

Hattiesburg, MS--Coming off an embarrassing loss last week at the hands of Georgia Tech, Southern Miss knew it was vital to the 2009 conference season to start off with a win. If USM had started off 0-2 overall and 0-1 in the Conference USA East standings, things would not be looking so great for the Golden Eagles.

Quarterback Austin Davis (above) was named the Southern Miss Player of the Game after his 10-15 passing for 193 yards (1 TD, 1 INT). He also carried the ball 14 times for 91 yards (1 TD). Running back Damion Fletcher was his usual stellar self today rushing for 80 yards on 21 carries with 1 touchdown. Also seeing action was highly touted freshman running back Kendrick Hardy. Hardy (below) got in on the scoring action late in the game with a 6 yard touchdown run, the first of his young career.

[​IMG]

The Southern Miss defense decided to protect their endzone today only allowing the Knights of UCF one touchdown. UCF quarterback Rob Calabrese had an off day, going 18 of 33 through the air for 195 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions, both going to USM sophmore free safety Kendrick Presley (below).

[​IMG]

Stats of Note:

PASSING:
    USM Austin Davis: 10/15 193 1/1
    UCF Rob Calabrese: 18/33 195 1/2

RUSHING:
    USM Damion Fletcher: 21-80-1 (3.8)
    USM Austin Davis: 14-91-1 (6.5)
    USM Kendrick Hardy: 4-25-1 (6.2)
    UCF B. Harvey: 22-70-0 (3.1)

RECEIVING:
    USM G. Baptiste: 2-47-0
    USM J. Jordan: 1-44-0
    UCF K. Aiken: 6-58-1
    UCF R. Ross: 5-49-0

DEFENSIVE:

USM Kendrick Presley: 2 INT's
    USM A. Gray (DT): 8 TKL 2TFL
    USM W. Packer: 7TKL 3TFL
    UCF R. Weams: 14TKL 2TFL (UCF Player of the Game)
    UCF L. Young: 11TKL 1TFL​

Scoring Summary:
    UCF: 0-3-7-0=10
    USM: 7-7-10-10=34

16. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Game 3: USM 23 @ Ole Miss 31

REBELS YELL
    In-state showdown goes to the home team

Southern Miss entered today's game against in-state rival Ole Miss (#25) thinking a win today would be the first giant step in dominating the recruitment of Mississippi football talent. Southern Miss is looking to emerge from the shadow of the state's two primary BCS conference schools, University of Mississippi and Mississippi State University, to become a more prominent school in the race for football wins, recruits and ultimately, fans.

That first giant step was not to be. Ole Miss handed the Golden Eagles their second loss of the season in a close game, 23-31. USM had their chances. The inability of the defenders to catch errant Jevan Snead passes and the injured throwing elbow of quarterback Austin Davis is what doomed the Eagles.
    [​IMG]
    Austin Davis gets sacked (2 total)

The lone highlight of the night for USM was this 72 yard TD run
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Og848izcAzM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Og848izcAzM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

STATS OF NOTE:

PASSING:
    USM Davis 15/24 148 1/1
    USM Young 2/13 21 0/0
    MISS Snead 14/20 162 3/0

RUSHING:
    USM Harrison 2-82-1TD (41.0)
    USM Parham (WR) 2-41-0 (20.5)
    MISS Bolden 22-96-0 (4.3)

RECEIVING:
    USM Parham 7/71/0
    USM Banks (TE) 4/47/1
    MISS Bolden 3/42/0
    MISS Breaux 2/22/1
    MISS Hodge 1/48/0

DEFENSE:
    MISS Lewis 13 TKL 2 TFL
    MISS Hardy 5 TKL 3 TFL 2 SK

PLAYERS OF THE GAME:

USM: K J. Estes 3/3 FG (Long of 54), 2/2 XP's
    MISS: QB J. Snead 14/20 162 Yards, 3 TD Passes

[​IMG]
    Ole Miss Player of the Game, Jevan Snead, takes a knee to end the game​

17. jello1717

Holy Crap! You've better hope Davis doesn't get hurt again!

18. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

This is true...But to Young's credit, he came in and had to try and pass to catch up. He wasn't just throwing dinks and dunks. He came in cold, left the same way.

19. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Nebraska 23 - Southern Miss 20

Season 1, Game 4

"CORNHUSKED"
    Nebraska rolls into Hattiesburg, husks the Golden Eagles then roll back to Lincoln...

[​IMG]
    QB Austin Davis getting sacked by the Huskers D​

Hattiesburg, MS--In what has become a somewhat expected outcome, the Golden Eagles of Southern Miss once again lose to a superior non-conference team. This week, it was the Nebraska Cornhuskers who came into the game limping due to their 1-2 record (Florida Atlantic-Loss, Arkansas State-Won, Virginia Tech, Loss). Both teams were looking to get back to a .500 winning percentage and to "right the ship" before the conference seasons really get rolling.

A pre-game speech by injured star receiver DeAndre Brown wasn't enough to get the Golden Eagles past Nebraska. The game was a close one giving the fans their money's worth, but in the end the 'Huskers pulled it out with a late field goal.

NU started off quick when they scored on a 29 yard TD pass from Zach Lee to C. Gilleylen. USM responded with a nice drive, ending with an Estes field goal. NU fired right back with an impressive drive but could only manage a FG. The second quarter saw USM bring the game within a FG after QB Austin Davis ran in a score from 13 yards out to tie the game. NU was able to put together another scoring drive and hit another FG with 57 seconds left in the half. Halftime 13-10, Nebraska.

[​IMG]
    USM did get some pressure on the Huskers offense​

The second half saw more of the same. Each team nailed a FG and each team scored a TD. 23-20. It was the final FG that put NU over the top. NU's A. Henery nailed a 36 yarder with 1:07 left in the game in what would become the game winner. USM had it's chances to score, getting the ball with just over one minute left but another Austin Davis interception sealed the loss for the Golden Eagles.

USM next travels to UAB on September 26th for a 12pm kickoff.

USM's Biggest Play v. NEB
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0hxcDobi1j0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0hxcDobi1j0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

SCORING:
    NEB--10-3-0-10 = 23
    USM--3-7-3-7 = 20​

STATISTICS:
    PASSING
    USM DAVIS 5-14-123-1-2
    USM YOUNG 2-3-26-0-0
    NEB LEE 17-27-283-1-0

RUSHING
    USM DAVIS 15-32-2.1-1-LONG 18
    USM FLETCHER 9-57-6.3-0-LONG 30
    USM FLOYD 8-33-4.1-0-LONG 16
    USM HARDY 5-4-0.8-0-LONG 5
    USM YOUNG 3-17-5.6-0-LONG 14
    NEB HELU 21-91-4.3-1-LONG 19

RECEIVING
    USM HARDY 2-24-12.0-0
    USM ALL OTHERS HAD 1 CATCH (J.MORRIS, TD)
    NEB PAUL 4-99-24.7-0
    NEB GILLEYLEN 4-90-22.5-1

DEFENSIVE
    USM ROBINSON 9TKL, 1TFL
    NEB THENARSE 9TKL, 2DEFL

KICKING
    USM ESTES 2/2 FG, LONG 39--2/2 XP
    NEB HENERY 3/5 FG, LONG 56--2/2 XP

PLAYERS OF THE GAME:
    USM D. JONES 3TKL, 2TFL, 1 SACK
    NEB Z. LEE 17-27-283-1-0​

*Note to self--Take more pics of things other than sacks!! Ha...

20. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

USM 41-UAB 14

BLAZE UNDER CONTROL​
    Golden Eagles control the Blazers in CUSA battle

[​IMG]

Birmingham, AL--If only the Golden Eagles of Southern Miss could play all games in their conference. So far, USM has easily won their CUSA conference games (2-0) but lost all of the non-conference games (0-3). They know the schedule will get tougher down the line but they're happy with the 2-0 start. Coach JHeb said "Yeah, you know when you play in a smaller conference you're going to have to play some of the big guys from the bigger conferences. It helps teams like us prepare for conference play and it helps the pocket book too. Our goal is to win 'em all, but a secondary goal is to win all of our conference games and do well in the CUSA."

Southern Miss never had much to worry about in this game with UAB. They jumped out to a 21-0 lead after two Austin Davis (see below, getting crushed after he pitched to Fletcher on an option) touchdown runs and one more from senior running back Damion Fletcher (see above) early in the second quarter. From there USM turned up the heat, scoring 13 in the 3rd and 14 in the 4th while UAB could only muster 14 total, all in the second half.

[​IMG]

USM dominated on the ground, running the ball 59 times while only passing it 5 times. They racked up 425 yards on the ground and only 41 through the air. Neither team coughed up the ball but USM dominated the time of possession by 6 minutes and 30 seconds. UAB running back J. Brooks ran 27 times for 196 yards and was by far their best player. At one point he carried a few USM defenders 10 yards to score a touchdown (57 yards).

[​IMG]

USM had three players hit the 100 yard rusing mark. Fletcher carried 32 times for 154, QB Davis carried 19 for 109 and running back Hardy carried 8 times for an even 100.

Fletcher was the Player of the Game for USM while RB Brooks received the honor for UAB.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C2HKDHIh0Nc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C2HKDHIh0Nc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
    Fletcher scores on a nice TD run...

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P5LH8C6FTaA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P5LH8C6FTaA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
    Brooks' monster TD, watch as my guys ride him from the 10 yard into the endzone...Beastly!!​

Southern Miss next travels to in-state foe Mississippi State while UAB has a bye week before going to Ole Miss on 10/17/09.

21. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

What a run after the catch by Brooks. That looks like one of those plays that the CPU decides it is going to score no matter what!

22. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Yeah, not only did he carry one guy 10 yards on his back, he dragged the other one about 5 and before he did that he totally blasted the first defender about 30 yards back. It was the best play of the game, by far. I was like "Holy crap!!" when it happened.

23. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Wk 6: USM 44-MSU 41 (3 OT)

USM 44--MSU 41 (3 OT)

MISSISSIPPI STATE UPSET
    Unranked Golden Eages upset #24 Bulldogs in 3 Overtimes

[​IMG]

Starkville, MS--Coming into Saturday afternoon's game against in-state "little brother" Southern Mississippi, many of the MSU Bulldog players felt it could be a good game but felt more confident they'd win and they'd win without much struggle. Who could blame them? They had already won games v. Georgia Tech (they slaughtered USM) and Auburn (tough SEC foe). Heck, the game started off with a 14-0 lead early in the second quarter for the Bulldogs. Confidence was high. Then it started...

[​IMG]
    Austin Davis options to Damion Fletcher for a nice gain​

What happened was the USM ground game. USM realized the MSU pass defense was going to be stout today. USM realized MSU felt they could easily stop the USM option/pass offense so they pulled back to protect against the pass rather than the run. Funny thing is, they never really adjusted.

[​IMG]
    Damion Fletcher ran the ball a few times v. Mississippi State...

[​IMG]
    ...then he ran it some more.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TQabTJdBHY0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TQabTJdBHY0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
    ...then Austin Davis ran it some too...This time for a short TD.​

When it was all said and done, the fans were the real winners. They saw a game with 85 points. They saw three overtimes. They saw USM run the ball 70 times for 291 yards and six touchdowns. It was a long game but a game the fans of USM and MSU will remember for a long time.

[​IMG]
    The obligatory picture of something good MSU did in this game...

STATS OF NOTE:

PASSING:
    USM Davis 9-14-121-0-0
    MSU Lee 19-36-279-1-0

RUSHING:
    USM Davis (QB) 26-49-1.8-2TD
    USM Floyd (RB) 16-82-5.1-2
    USM Fletcher (RB) 12-72-6.0-1
    USM Hardy (RB) 12-75-6.2-1
    MSU Dixon (RB) 10-26-2.6-0
    MSU Lee (QB) 8-10-1.2-2

RECEIVING:
    USM--Nothing to Note
    MSU Robinson 6-131-21.8-0
    MSU Bumpus 5-85-17.0-1

DEFENSE:
    USM--Nothing to Note
    MSU Chaney 14 TKL
    MSU Johnson 11 TKL, 2 TFL, 2 Sacks
    MSU Wright 10 TKL, 3 TFL, 1 Sack
    MSU Cooper 10 TKL, 3 TFL, 2 Sacks

TEAM STATS:
    Category--USM--MSU
    1st Downs--24--13
    Total Offense--412--328
    Rushes, Yards, TD--70,291,6--20,49,2
    Comp, Att, TD--9,14,0--19,36,1
    Passing Yds--121--279
    3rd Down Conv--10,17--4,12
    RedZone, TD, FG--6,6,0--6,3,2
    TO--2 (fumbles)--0
    TOP--18.55--9.08

PLAYERS OF THE GAME:
    USM: V. Floyd (RB) 18 rushes, 82 yards, 2 TD's
    MSU: T. Lee (QB) 19-36 Passing, 279 Yards, 8 rushes, 10 yards, 2 TD's​

24. Jackwacker

Jackwacker Noob

Great game! Glad one of us could win a tripple OT contest!

25. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Week 7: Memphis 28-Southern Miss 32

BLACK & BLUE CHAMPIONS
    Late USM TD Run Seals Victory for Golden Eagles

[​IMG]
    USM quarterback Austin Davis keeps the ball on this speed option for the game winning score w/ 7 seconds left on the clock​

Hattiesburg, MS--Memphis is one of the noted rivalries for Southern Miss. Their annual match-up is called the Black and Blue Bowl, named after the team's primary colors and the intense competitive nature of the contest. This series started back on October 26th, 1935 and has been played every season since. Coming into tonight's game, USM led the series 37-21-1.

Make that 38-21-1 now.

In what seems to be USM's pattern, Memphis jumped out to a 7-0 lead only to see USM take the lead back as time expired at the end of the second half on a 5 yard TD pass from Austin Davis to Justin Jordan (see below). Halftime score showed USM leading, 10-7.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zoVOuNS4RyU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zoVOuNS4RyU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

The third quarter saw Memphis grasp the lead one again on a 1 yard TD dive that was set up by some nice passing by Memphis' A. Hall. Memphis leads 14-10.

[​IMG]

...And then the FIREWORKS began.​

The fourth quarter. Crunch time. This 4th quarter will go down in Black & Blue history as one of the more exciting. It was started off with a 23 yard TD pass from Hall to Calhoun. 21-10 Memphis.

USM answers with a 52 yard TD run by Damion Fletcher (Sr.) to make it 21-17 in favor of the Tigers.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vbSwgpu74wo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vbSwgpu74wo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

Memphis fires right back with a 40 yard TD pass from Hall to Calhoun to make it 28-17 for the Tigers.

USM again climbs back into the game with a nice drive capped off by a 2 yard TD run by Fletcher...USM followed it up with a converted 2 point conversion. 28-25 in favor of Memphis.

Time for the USM defense to hold...

They do! USM ball with about one minute or so to go. Davis takes over the game and runs his team down the field, all the while watching the clock. He knows a field goal will tie the game so he has to be careful not to turn the ball over. It's getting late in the game. The clock breaks the 20 second mark.

Tick...

Tick...

Tick...

He makes the play call. Speed Option Pass, to the left side.

He takes the ball from center, sprints hard to his left while watching the DE and LOLB. It's open. He's got room to run.

Fletcher trails, waiting for a pitch at any moment...

Davis keeps it, knowing he'll have to pile over the Memphis defender to get the touchdown.

He covers the ball in preperation for the big hit...

One more step to impact...

The defender misses! He missed Davis! Davis scores the game winning touchdown without being touched!

USM wins!!

[​IMG]

STATS OF NOTE:

PASSING:
    USM Davis 16-23-172-1-1-69%
    MEM Hall 18-32-204-3-2-56%

RUSHING:
    USM Davis 19-113-5.9-1
    USM Fletcher 13-67-5.1-2
    MEM Johnson 24-114-4.7-1

RECEIVING:
    USM Jordan 4-68-16.5-1