Speed Rule - Any interest?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Okay, this was a rule I put in the WFL to balance out the "speed users". The rule is very simple and I put it into the cap book for tracking.

Basically, any player over 90 speed would count, at a minimum, of 1 "point" towards a capped limit of points for "speed players". Players over 94 speed counted as 2 "points", while players at 94-91 speed counted as 1 "point". The initial cap was 10 points total on a team, and we allowed a year to get under that (it was implemented midway year 1, and a few teams were over, with the Raiders being WAY over at 21 points).

Personally speaking, I think it really helped the league from a strategy standpoint as far as figuring out where you wanted your top speedster guys. It also made it a bit more realistic in that teams couldn't stack their WR corps with 99 speed guys that had 60 catch and just outrun defenders.

I plan on putting it in place in the WFL, barring any board member objections (there were none when we voted it in). I was wondering if the OMFL would be interested in such a rule.

Keep in mind, this would ONLY affect players over 90 speed. Any player at 90 speed or less would be unhindered by this rule.

The chart was:

91-94 speed: 1 point
    95-99 speed: 2 points

Everyone this year was under the speed rule of 10 points, and while the Raiders did have to make some cuts and trades to get under, the Raiders this year are back in the playoffs and fighting in the AFC Championship, so it did not kill their team at all to cut some speedsters.

Also, like the cap, this number could grow in subsequent seasons depending on draft classes and how they are generated. I was willing to do that in WFL and would be willing to do the same should we want to give this a try in OMFL.

I think this allows for a lot more strategy, not to mention clever substitutions (legal ones, obviously) to put that speedster in when you know you have a mismatch on a crucial play. If everyone is limited the same, it's fair and balanced and forces guys to use slower players all around (but not completely cripple guys who use the 85 speed linebackers).

2. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

I liked it in wfl and I personally wouldn't mind it here, only because it does even things out and it makes it a nice way to police one of the biggest problems we have in madden: speed/legal cheese

3. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

It wont work here as well without a bitch fest and if the zone is fixed for 12 like rumored it wont be needed.

4. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Let's evaluate madden 12 first, then we can revisit this if needed.