Spread offense playbook

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by dso122783, Oct 4, 2013.

1. dso122783

dso122783 Walk On

Jun 21, 2013
    Does anyone else use the new spread option playbook? I am an oc in my dynasty at old dominion and started using it. In a game with my 8 minute quarters I get 70-75 plays in, and my offense at one point was the top on the county as far as yards goes, but has since dropped. Anyone else using this playbook? Thoughts? By the way, I've always been a pro or multiple playbook person until I tried this l.
  2. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

Oct 21, 2009

I've been using it in one of my OD's for a few seasons now. There are a few things I don't like. It's missing some of my favorite pass plays. I've always been a guy who likes to run the ball far more than I want to pass so it's not a huge deal, but if I get behind I like to run some of the bread and butter plays where I know the exact reads for whatever coverage the defense is in.

Last NCAA I went to a spread option attack and have kept at it this season. I still run it a ton, usually end up with 20 to 25 pass attempts and 40-50 run attempts. The problem with the PB is staying diverse, there's different ways to run the read option, but its still a read option. The Outside Veer (for me at least) is broken. If the read is to the HB going outside and the DE crashes he still recovers in enough time to tackle the HB, if the read is for the QB to keep I either get tackled behind the LOS or break it for 20 yards. I love that there are so many ways to run the TO; Pistol, 2 RB Shotgun or Pistol, 1 RB 1 WR. The shovel option has taken tons of practice, but I'm starting to get the hang of it, and I've even been able to throw in a little speed option this season.

It can be explosive, but there are enough straight runs to melt the clock as well. If you have a true scrambling QB it can be almost impossible to stop. I've got an OD with Louisiana-Lafayette and I'm leading the country in rushing yards, I'm #118 in passing, but I'm scoring at will so far this season. ULaLa has a power back and a speed back with no speed, and It's still working pretty well. I do hate that most of my drives last 12-16 plays so my OL is dead by the time the TD happens.