Archived Spring Training Report

Discussion in 'The Sandlot - The Show '15 OL' started by _MG_, Mar 13, 2012.

1. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    SPRING TRAINING REPORT
    [​IMG]
    1. How do you feel about your teams progress through the first half of spring training?​
    2. Which players have impressed you the most?​
    3. Which players have disappointed you the most?​
    4. Which position battle is most intriguing for your team thus far?​
    5. What was your goal coming into spring training (pitching, seeing young players, small ball, winning, etc.)?​

• Like Like x 2
  2. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:

• Like Like x 1
  3. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

Dodgers Spring Training 2012
    [​IMG]
    1. How do you feel about your teams progress through the first half of spring training?
    I am feeling pretty good about the team so far into Spring Training. There were some bumps early on, and there are still adjustments being made this early naturally, however I feel this team will be firing on all cylinders by the time April rolls around.​
    2. Which players have impressed you the most?
    The Ellis boys AJ and Mark. Both have been batting well and Mark has seem to have a firm grasp on the #2 spot in the lineup. Andre Ethier has been on a tear and hasn't been slowing down.​
    3. Which players have disappointed you the most?
    Dee Gordon. He just can't seem to get hits right now. He's making good contact however the hits aren't dropping thus far. I believe he'll be ready to go when we play for real.​
    4. Which position battle is most intriguing for your team thus far?
    The left field battle between Juan Rivera and Jerry Sands. Sands is the youngster with some great upside and Rivera is the cagey vet. Both are playing well. Edge to Sands as of right now but it is really close.​
    5. What was your goal coming into spring training (pitching, seeing young players, small ball, winning, etc.)?
    My goal was to figure out the rotation. I wanted to see how the new starters Harang and Capuano looked. I also wanted to see how the bullpen would fare since the starters weren't going to pitch for more than three innings at a time. So far I have been really impressed with the pitching staff.​

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  4. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

BLUE JAYS SPRING TRAINING 2012
    [​IMG]
    1. How do you feel about your teams progress through the first half of spring training?
    The team has made great strides over the first few weeks. I like how the batters are taking their approach at the plate. The pitching is also getting fine tuned as is the defense. I like where we stand thus far though. Good progress has been made.
    Jose Bautista has started where he left off last year. He has shown great power and will probably drive in a lot of runs for us this summer. On the other end of the spectrum, Casey Janssen has done a great job out of the pen. So has the new guy Francisco Cordero. I like our back end of the bull pen this year. If we have a lead late, I like our chances.
    I think Yunel Escobar is a little down on himself to begin the year. He has been making great contact but not much is finding a hole for him. He will continue to own that leadoff spot though. I think he still has a lot to offer this team and has just been snake bitten by a streak of bad luck.
    The 2B spot and the C spot. At 2B, Omar Vizquel has come in and given us a great veteran presence on the field. He has flashed the glove quite a few times already. Kelly Johnson will probably get starts against lefties, but Omar has put himself in a position to start against the righties we face. At catcher, JP Arencibia has had a productive spring thus far. There was talk that the young kid d'Arnaud would come in and take his spot, but for right now, JP is our starting catcher.​
    5. What was your goal coming into spring training (pitching, seeing young players, small ball, winning, etc.)?
    Just to practice the fundamentals of baseball. To fine tune what we already know how to do and to adjust our vision on the mound and at the plate. We are not trying to reinvent the wheel here. We are just trying to sharpen up what we already know how to do and knock all the kinks out. I am pleased with what we have been able to do thus far.​

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  5. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    Cardinals Spring Training 2012
    [​IMG]
    It's been great. Pitchers are usually ahead of the hitters through the first half of spring training and that's definitely been the case for the Cards. The entire pitching staff has been great which has been nice. The hitters though, while they struggled through the first 5 games or so, have really started to pick it up. And it's not just one player. Numerous players are making nice contact.
    The bullpen. The Cards bullpen proved to be a strength in the playoffs last year, but before August, it was probably one of the biggest weaknesses for the ball club. From my POV, that should be attributed to the Colby Rasmus trade which brought back some nice pitching pieces. The only one of which that stuck around for 2012 though is lefty Marc Rzepczynski. So the bullpen was definitely a concern coming into Spring Training but they've actually been lights out for the most part.​
    David Freese. He's had a couple nice hits but he has struggled offensively. And on top of that, he's exactly known as a defensive third baseman. His spot in the lineup is secured but hopefully he can turn it around in the 2nd half of spring training.
    Well, there's only one real position battle going on and that's for second base. Daniel Descalso, Skip Schumaker, Tyler Greene, and Alex Cora have been battling it out so far. Greene and Cora are lacking the offense that we're looking for at the position which makes Descalso and Schumaker the front runners. Descalso had a costly fielding error at 2nd in his last game though.​
    I wanted to get used to online games and be comfortable with them heading into the regular season. For my team, I felt like my starters were locked in at most positions before Spring Training started so I was hoping to determine what role players I wanted to make the roster. Unfortunately, that's hard to determine when having to use the default roster and 25 man roster. No Allen Craig, Adron Chambers, Pete Kozma, Zack Cox, Shane Robinson, or Bryan Anderson on the roster makes it hard to evaluate them. So now I'm just focused on improving my capabilities and getting comfortable with the players I do have available.​

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  6. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    20 owners, 3 responses. sad.

• Like Like x 1
  7. County5

County5 Practice? I mean c'mon..

Rockies Spring Training
    1. How do you feel about your teams progress through the first half of spring training?​
    I'm pretty dissapointed in myself for having such a bad +/- runs scored. This is a great hitting team and but I am a work in progress.​
    2. Which players have impressed you the most? ​
    Jeremy Guthrie, Todd Helton​
    Tulowitzki​
    I have a couple of good CF's and two young Catchers​
    5. What was your goal coming into spring training (pitching, seeing young players, small ball, winning, etc.)?​
    Get acquainted with the game a little bit.​

• Like Like x 1
  8. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

SPRING TRAINING REPORT
    [​IMG]
    How do you feel about your teams progress through the first half of spring training?
    I feel great about the teams progress, I really like our pitching staff! Cueto, Latos are going to be a nice one, two punch. Leake really surprised me and would bump him up to the top but those two stand in his way. Hitting has lacked with the lineup I have, struggling with Phillips (pop out to catcher mutliple times), spotty with Votto and Bruce.
    Which players have impressed you the most?
    Leake
    Chapman, guy is absouletly dynamic
    Which players have disappointed you the most?
    Cozart and Stubbs
    Which position battle is most intriguing for your team thus far?
    Left Field
    Chris Heisey or Ryan Ludwick
    What was your goal coming into spring training (pitching, seeing young players, small ball, winning, etc.)?
    Hitting Timing down-- borderline fail...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

SPRING TRAINING REPORT
    [​IMG]
    1. How do you feel about your teams progress through the first half of spring training? I feel like we are working through the kinks. Angel Pagan and Melky Cabrera should set us up for some runs this year at the top of the order with an in shape Pablo Sandoval and a healthy Buster Posey hitting right behind them. Our Bullpen has been great and gotten a lot of work this Spring. Our starters need to start being a little more dominant in their outings if we are gonna follow or code for winning.
    2. Which players have impressed you the most? Melky Cabrera, Brandon Belt, Matt Cain, Javier Lopez, Sergio Romo
    3. Which players have disappointed you the most? Our SS we have three in a battle and none of them have stepped up and taken the job.
    4. Which position battle is most intriguing for your team thus far? SS, Mike Fontenot, Ryan Theriot and a young gun Crawford are vying for the Position. Will someone step up please.
    5. What was your goal coming into spring training (pitching, seeing young players, small ball, winning, etc.)? Seeing our new guys in camp, and learning the dynamics of the new pitching style. The hits will come more concerned with pitching and defense.

• Like Like x 2
  10. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

SPRING TRAINING REPORT
    MINNESOTA TWINS
    [​IMG]
    1. How do you feel about your teams progress through the first half of spring training? I am confident with how my team has improved since we first entered spring training. Especially, the way we have committed to giving it our all whether it be at the plate or on the mound. The guys have really battled back after starting off with a horrible show of early games. The pitching has tightened up and the hitting has been wonderful. You really get to see how good this roster is. Many said it would be a rebuilding year for us, the way we have played, I don't think so.
    2. Which players have impressed you the most? Denard Span would be one. At the leadoff position, you need him to get on and he has been on fire as of late. Against TB, he hit a 3 run triple to put us ahead which was HUGE for him to do. I also like how Alexi Casilla has been playing in the field and hitting. He blasted a HR a few games back that shocked a lot of people. At SS, the play of Tsuyoshi Nishioka and Jamey Carroll has also been pretty impressive. You need good consistent play out of the SS and they have provided that so far. Ryan Doumit and Josh Willingham have also been guys that have came in and handled business.
    3. Which players have disappointed you the most? At first Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau were consistently hitting well, as of late they have slumped and slacked a little. I don't think I am disappointed in anyone at this moment but if it had to be someone, it would have to be Joe. Although he has had some great games, he needs to be good everyday.
    4. Which position battle is most intriguing for your team thus far? SS, Nishioka and Carroll are battling. I think bringing in Carroll has pushed Nishioka to play well as many thought he didn't do last year. It will be interesting to see how it ends up. They could split time, who knows.
    5. What was your goal coming into spring training (pitching, seeing young players, small ball, winning, etc.)? My goal was to see how the whole team could perform? Would we be a rebuilding team? Could this roster get the job done? I wanted to see if the hitting could keep in us games because our bullpen is pretty weak. The bullpen has played decent though, I will give them that.

• Like Like x 4
  11. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:

• Like Like x 1
  12. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Ludwick has separated himself a little bit from Heisey​

13. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

DETROIT TIGERS SPRING TRAINING REPORT
    [​IMG]

I'm still a bit worried with our ability to get the wood on the ball but to put it where the defense isn't... Too many times have we roped some balls right at the opposing defense.​
    Austin Jackson really looks like he has turned the corner and can be a formidable lead off hitter for us. Delmon Young has been on quite a roll too. ​
    Alex Avila hasn't shown anything compared to his All-Star stint from last season. Hitting for contact even has been a struggle for him. ​
    2B - Raburn has the leg up right now, but Santiago's versatility and Inge's defense are making it tight. ​
    LF will be a platoon more than likely between Delmon, Raburn, and Don Kelly. ​
    Coming into spring training, we wanted to get our timing down at the plate, and we've shown some real inconsistencies there. Some of the young guys have really impressed though too, as Jacob Turner has all but locked up the #5 spot in the rotation.

• Like Like x 1
  14. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Not home will post mine later

15. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

SPRING TRAINING REPORT
    1. How do you feel about your teams progress through the first half of spring training? Still trying to learn how to hit. Pitching has gone well though and very excited about the young pitchers we have in the organization. Teheran is going to be on the opening day roster and penciled in as a #4 or #5 starter. The Braves organization would first like to thank Chipper Jones for giving us one last year of service. He has been nothing but a class act and will truly be missed. We hope he can go out with a ring and help develop and mentor our future 3rd baseman.
    2. Which players have impressed you the most? Teheran, Bourne, and Pastornicky. Pastornicky is a young and upcoming superstar at SS. He has really played well and has very good defensive skills. Has some speed and can be a big time thief on the bases. Bourne is speedy and can create a lot of problems for defense and pitchers in the MLB. He could lead the league in steals if he gets on base. Teheran has done nothing but pitched strong for the Braves. His pitching is what has the Braves looking to possibly move a starter to get him in the rotation.
    3. Which players have disappointed you the most? Heyward has been a disappointment and it has been public. We have went rounds over his defense and other than a couple games his hitting hasnt been around. We are going to stick with him and hope he comes around.
    4. Which position battle is most intriguing for your team thus far? None really
    5. What was your goal coming into spring training (pitching, seeing young players, small ball, winning, etc.)? playing young guys and small ball with Bourne and Pastornicky

• Like Like x 1
  16. Blackattack87

Blackattack87 First In Last Out

[​IMG]
    I feel great about the team's progress, after starting off 1-7 my club's record currrently sits at 15-12. Six of my twelve losses came to the Red Sox, Yanks and Phillies. I feel my club is well balanced pitching and hitting. My pitching staff could be nasty to deal with, and I really enjoy the pulse pitching and picked it up nicely. My team hits pretty well too with a pretty decent lineup top to bottom.
    I have been impressed with Carlos Pena. His dismal .225 batting avg and 161 K's from a year ago had me worried yet he seems to come up with the big hit a lot. I also am impressed with my bullpen. Peralta has a nasty splitter and my two setup men Howell my lefty and Rodney my righty complement each other nicely
    Kyle Farnsworth worries me, he can be dominant with his power pitching but he is very shaky at times RARELY having a clean 9th inning in a save situation. I feel way more comfortable with a two run lead going into the 9th instead of one.
    My positions are pretty set. There isnt really any competition except maybe for a platooning at my SS position.
    Seeing how well I would fare head to head online against real guys. Ive always been decent in my offline stuff so wanted to gauge my ability against real guys. I also wanted to make sure I could use the new pulse pitching and I really like it. Just excited for the regular season to begin.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  17. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

[​IMG]
    Its been a rough transition between the team we have had the last several seasons to this season. We have started playing better as of late but when you lose guys like a Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran, and K-Rod you are going to take a big step back where all we added were developemntal type players.
    [​IMG]
    Lucas Duda and Ike Davis have been red hot this spring as both have combined for 12 HR's to spark an anemic Mets offense that has had trouble scoring runs this season. If the Mets are to compete they will need big seasons from these 2.
    [​IMG]
    By far it has to be Reuben Tejada. Tejada has some big shoes to fill taking over for last years NL batting champ Jose Reyes. He has been hitting in the 8 spot and so far this spring has just 1 RBI. He has struggled on the field committing 6+ errors as well as at the plate. The Mets however are being patient with the young SS and are just trying to get him to play within himself and nott ry and be something he is not.
    Its been the SS battle between Cedeno and Tejada but neither have really done anything to separate themselves from the Pack.
    We basically have a completely new team since last season so our goals were to see what we have as a whole and go from there. So far Pitching seems to be our bright spot as we just havent produced many runs this spring. Its a work in progress and we can only get better

18. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

2012 Miami Marlins
    [​IMG]
    Hiring coach Guillen was the best move we have made in a while. He has this team with a swagger and focus. The team is responsive to his personality and the players have a lot of respect for him as a baseball guy. Progress is far and about the 72-90 team from a year ago.
    [​IMG]
    Without question it has been Zambrano. He has been lights out in his starts and has a stick to boot. Ozzie was a great remedy for this guy. His passion and intensity has boiled over in past years. Ozzie has him calm and focused and is relating well with the Venezuelan. Carlos has been working hard and could very well find himself higher then the 5 spot in the Marlin rotation come 2012.
    [​IMG]
    It has been a great spring and not one guy has disappointed. All players go in spurts and this spring every single guy and even some minor league prospects have contributed in key spots. You can feel the clubhouse growing and seeing it play out on the field is a great feeling.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Lefties Randy Choate and Mike Dunn​
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Right handers Edward Mujica and Juan Oviedo​
    These 4 are in a knock down drag our WAR. These guys are such gamers and are all fighting for that illustrious set up role for Heath Bell. Never had competition like this ever as a GM and it is a nice position to be in with all 4 being very effective.
    RELENTLESS PRESSURE

19. CeeGee

CeeGee Block-O-Nation

Los Angeles Angels Spring Training Report

[​IMG]

- I feel pretty good about my team although I would like to have a better record... Right now I'm 7-8, but I think my struggles are mainly my fault, as I'm still getting used to "how" this game works...
    - I think once I get better at the game, I'll be able to perform more consistently and win more than i lose :D
    - Obviously, I've been very impressed with ALbert Pujols... This guy hits everything very hard. My only problem will be patience when he is at the plate, as I tend to get a little antsy trying to hit everything 500ft with him haha.
    - Another player that I've been very happy with is Mark Trumbo. He's been ripping the cover off the ball for me, and I'm thinking of ways to get him into my everyday lineup... He might see time at 3B / 1B and DH this year...
    - As of now, I have not been very impressed with outfielder Mike Trout... Judging by his performance so far I think he might be 1 year away from making the Big League Club... We'll see how he performs through the 2nd half of Spring training, but, right now its not looking good for Mr Trout...
    - The Left Filed spot has been an intriguing one so far. Peter Bourjos is really pushing Vernon Wells, who, despite his large salary is not guaranteed a starting spot once the season starts... If wells doesn't win the left field job, he could play DH or RF, however but his at bats will be limited for sure...
    - Seeing what the young guys like Mark Trumbo, Peter Bourjors and Mike Trout can do.