Stanford gets the last laugh vs Penn State in Rose Bowl

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by HotRod, Dec 1, 2011.

1. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    It was gut check time after Stanford lost in embarrassing fashion vs Penn State. They had to bounce back and play the annual conference championship game against hated Utah in which they overcame a slow start to win the Pac 12 title. Their reward? A rematch vs Penn State. Stanford was seemingly in their backyard at the Rose Bowl and was looking to prove a point vs the Nittany Lions.

The Cardinal came out looking to establish the run as John Darby and the O line was beat up by the Penn State front line in the previous match up. They did this with great success as they ran their way down the field on the first drive keyed by a 45 yard run from FB "White" Tyrone Culver. Darby capped off the drive with a QB sneak for a TD. Penn State's first drive started ok but Ryan Stark threw a pick to FS Eddie Craft to end the drive. On the first play of the next Stanford drive Hb Remound Wright ran up the gut and broke free for a 62 yd TD run. The XP got blocked so the score stood at 13-0. Penn State answered back with a strong drive to cut the score to 13-7. The Nittany Lion D stopped Stanford on the subsequent drive. Penn State would take the lead as Stark found Brian Williams for a 56 yard TD pass. After a Stanford interception, Penn State would add a FG to make it 17-13. Stanford would regain the lead at the end of the half with a nice pass and catch by John Darby to Brian McCoy in the corner of the end zone and the score at the half was 20-17 Stanford.

Penn State would regain the lead on their first drive as Stark found Sam Wallace for a 31 yard TD connection. However that would be the last time Penn State led as Stanford would answer back with a long drive ending with a TD run by Remound Wright. A forced fumble by SS Wayne Lyons as he popped the Penn State HB (can't remember if it was Clay or Adams) would get Stanford the ball back. Joey Robison, who came in as Darby was out having an injury tended to, found Jonathan Cox in between two defenders for a 47 yard TD and the Cardinal was now up 34-24. Penn State would get into FG range but missed the FG. Stanford would then leave the door open with an interception after which Penn State was able to score a touchdown to close the gap to 3 points. That would be the last time the offense would see the field as Stanford was able to run off the last 3:57 thanks to strong running and a key 3rd down pass to Brian McCoy.

Stanford gets their second straight Rose Bowl win and sweet revenge for their loss to Penn State a couple weeks ago to end the season on a high note. They lose some talent on defense particularly at defensive tackle losing 4 seniors as well as AA LB Gavin Wade and SS Wayne Lyons. On offense they lose Remound Wright who was the key player the last two games vs Utah and Penn State. The other key loss will be Jonathan Cox who also had an AA season.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Good competitive game HotRod. Funny thing as I wanted you to have to pass as my secondary is deadly vs the pass this season, but you ran well and that was the difference maker for the most part. You passed when you needed too and even though you made some BAD passes that my defensive players dropped you made some solid passes on 3rd downs. Every time you pulled away I reeled you back in but being able to run that clock out at the end and convert on that 3rd and 3 won you that game.

Honestly never thought I would win all these user games when I lost to UNC thats why i wasn't that upset. I am glad the guantlet is over though. In the the last 5 weeks I played both Mogriffjr and HotRod twice going 3-1 and that to me is a victory within itself.

Penn State will be back in full force next year as we don't have many seniors leaving.....and lets hope most of the stars that want to leave come back to get a title.

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

A good job by Stanford at the end of the year to put the frustration behind them and pick up two huge wins that cement them as a real contender for next season.

Another good showing by Penn State as I actually thought you kinda out played him (at least when I was watching which wasn't the whole thing).

4. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    I had my moments, a lot of my success came via big plays. Penn State is tough because it's hard to sit and the pocket to throw when you have 2 seconds to throw every play. I knew the run was the only way I had a true shot.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    PSU having ND syndrome. "hey at least we went 5-1 in user games" and lost in the rose bowl!"

PSU should be dominant but lost to UNC and in the end couldn't pull out a win over Stanford, but at least you got a Big 10 title!

:-D :-D

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Penn State on paper is dominant but you have to remember the baffoon behind the controller!

Trust me I am not happy to have lost the game but when I look back on the season I am proud!(y)

7. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Round Mound of Remound

8. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

[​IMG]

9. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm