Stanford overcomes 5 picks, 21-0 deficit to beat Nebraska

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by HotRod, Jan 9, 2012.

1. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Seems like yesterday when the Stanford Cardinal beat Nebraska to win the National Championship. Well actually it was about a week but that's beside the point. The two would lock up again for a big early season matchup with the Huskers looking to get a measure of revenge and in the beginning it looked like they might run away with the game.

Nebraska would kick off to start the game and get an early interception on the second play of the game. They would score off this turnover and quickly it was 7-0. On Stanford's next drive, they would be stopped on a 3rd and 2 at midfield and were forced to punt. On the Huskers' first play of the drive, Maurice Bryant would take a toss 82 yards in a fashion reminiscent of last week vs Ole Miss.

Just like that Stanford found themselves down 14-0. It would only get worse 2 plays later when Nebraska CB Kyle Dean would jump and out route for a pick 6, and now it was 21-0 with over 3 minutes left in the quarter.

Stanford would settle down and score on their next drive to make it 21-7. This was the end of the scoring in the first half as the Stanford defense began to take control of the game. Unfortunately the Stanford offense would shot itself in the foot with interceptions killing some promising drives. The 3rd quarter saw the Stanford D stay in control not giving up much to Nebraska. Finally the offense would get going, first knocking in a field goal after being stopped at the goaline by a tough Nebraska defense. Then finally getting into the endzone following a big pass play where WR Brian People would haul in a deep PA pass from Joey Robison.​
    With Nebraska will struggling on offense they needed a spark. They got it in the form of a 5th interception by Joey Robison, once again giving the Huskers the short field. They would pound the ball and cap off the drive with a 3 yd TD run by Maurice Bryant and it was 28-17 Nebraska with 4:27 left in the game. Stanford wasn't ready to give up. Robison would lead the Cardinal down the field quickly for a touchdown and the score was now 28-24 with 3:21 left on the clock. Nebraska would get a first down then look to close the game out. However after their 1st down play was stuffed they looked to pass. The second down pass would be incomplete stopping the clock. On third down, Stanford would dial up a corner blitz and sack Brandon Workman to halt the drive and give themselves a final chance. This would lead to some late magic by Joey Robison when it counted the most.​
    After hitting TE Andrew Phillips and HB Adam Cooper for a couple big plays, Robison had his team in scoring position. A second down sack would leave Stanford with a 3rd and 13 at the 24 yd line. Robison would complete a pass but for only 8 yds leaving a 4th and 5 with the game on the line. Robison would thread the needle completing a pass to Keith Whitaker putting them at the 6 yd line with 8 seconds left, enough time for maybe 2 plays. Nebraska would call the timeout trying to regroup. On the next play Robison would make an audible at the line, recognizing the zone defense and sending Charles Richardson on a slant to the corner of the endzone. This route combined with Keith Whitaker crossing to the middle of the field caused the safety to get confused as to who to cover leaving Richardson open. Robison would find his man who barely got his feet in for the game winning TD with 3 seconds left on the clock.​
    Stanford would squib the ball and the clock ran out on Nebraska. This was a big win for Stanford who overcame some adversity to come out on top. Joey Robison was told to keep throwing even though he threw a career high 5 interceptions and in the end he led two scoring drivings in the final 4 minutes of the game to lead the comeback. Props goes to HB Adam Cooper who had some key blocks giving Robison time to make some big throws. The Stanford defense gets the game ball as for exception of the 82 yd TD run by Bryant, they held Nebraska to 106 yds. Nebraska's QB Brandon Workman completed only 4 of 13 passes for 28 yds, while his backup Lee Perkins had the other 11.​
    GG Mogriffjr

• Like Like x 2
  2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Stanford overcomes 5 picks, 21-0 deficit to beat Nebraska

[​IMG]

3. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

4. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

MoMo gotta be mad

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Ask me how we lost this game I say I don't know!

Workman couldn't do a thing out there. The difficulty in changing offenses is I haven't fully grasped the quick passes in this offense yet. It's more run oriented but passing wise we couldn't get it to our playmakers in Herron and Morris. We will figure this out. Bryant was great and our defense did work. They just seemed tired at the end of the game.

6. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

Im glad I watched the second half of this game. It was really a good game..I got see a little of Mo for the first time

7. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I changed playbooks too... same philosphy just a different book. I don't think I liked the outcome lmao

8. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

I gotta get that twitch thingy. Is it easy to do

9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

You need a PVR... There are threads posted in one of the main sections about what you need... JMS posted it. Twitch is just sort of a tool to get that stuff to the masses. It's free, the equipment aint'.

10. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

Ah.. OK.... I will check it out

11. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

I have seen way too much of mo! !

12. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

On the pick six HR you got a "please reconnect the controller" is that because you gunned it off the nearest wall?

13. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    I didn't gun it, just dropped it in the ground. I only have one controller so couldn't afford to destroy it, LOL.

• Like Like x 1