Start Over Or Play On?

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by JerzeyReign, Jun 16, 2010.

1. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Start Over Or Play On?

Scenario:

Their is 1:47 left in the first half. One school is having their way at the moment, 17-3. The trailing team moves the ball down to their one yard line. They break the huddle.... bam game freezes.

Background:

These two users have never had any connectivity issues in the past even though one user is in another country. Both users screen say "Please Wait" while the game is frozen. User ahead game is unfrozen after losing user leaves the game thinking its going to restart. The trailing user has won every game against the user currently in the lead.

Now here where the problem lays:

The trailing user is asking for a restart. The user ahead won't grant that unless he's up by 7 with 1:47 to go in the second quarter. The trailing user doesn't think a 7 point lead is really that much that early and still petitions for a restart. The user ahead still refuses. The trailing user now clearly frustrated just tells him to finish the game if he's so hellbent on winning.

If you were in this situation what would you do? And I really need some help whether I'm right or wrong. If the community votes heavily in favor of one I'm probably retiring from this league because I'm tired of constant "debates". Which in the end make me look like the "bad guy".

Please Help

Ray

2. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Spot the 7-point lead to the guy and play on in another game. Simple enough. Use some chew clock to eat up a little time to get the gametime somewhat close.

Easy.

3. MSU124

MSU124 Walk On

I think you play on.

4. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

why not just restart the game? ???

5. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

In the past, I have always replayed games to simulate the score and possession and just restart the game from that point.

So if its 17-3 with the ball on the 1 on 3rd and 1 with 1:47 to play then, with the cooperation of the opponent, we manually simulate the game (avoiding injuries etc) back to that point.

Its the only fair solution in my mind.

6. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Restart from scratch. Over half the game is left.

It was out of the control of both of you, no harm, no foul.

7. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

From reading this the guy in the lead does not want to restart as he will lose his advantage. Also the guy in the lead has consistently lose to user who is trailing, so he probably feels the current game they had going was the best chance for him to win....

First if this is a league, you should all ready have rules in place for disconnects. I'm sure it's not the first time it happened in your league. If there are not any hard rules set in place, then I agree with G-Unit. You all readhy played a half, the guy wants to keep his lead, so let him. Whats the problem? Let him score a TD.... Chew the clock until you get back to the point in the game you were..... Have the losing guy punt to the leading guy with 1 minute left in the half and play on..... I think that's a fine compromise that could satisfy both parties.

8. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

I agree with this. If that's how it was when it disconnected, both users should try to get as close to this when they re-play the rest of the game.

If it's not that much, then why bicker about it? They were losing when it disco'd, so they should still be down by 7 (at least) when you restart.

9. Iron Mickey

Couldnt agree more. The guy earned his lead, it's only fair "if he wants it" to give it back to him. That's what I have done in the past and I have been on both sides of the story.

Now if it was a 3-point lead in the 1st....then I would say screw it and completely re-do from scratch.

10. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Here's the rule:

22.0 - Game disconnects against another user happen from time to time. As long as the two user's can come to an agreement, their game should either be replayed or simmed. If the two cannot reach an agreement, it is the responsibility of the commish to make the decision.

I've been on both sides. As long as the pop up screen didn't state the user disconnected I would give them the benefit of the doubt and restart no matter what. I don't care if I was up by forty, mainly because its not about winning or losing and I would of restarted. I obviously think different than others.

I've actually had this situation in the OMFL (scenario that made me leave) where I punched the user in the mouth on the first drive and stalled his first drive. I had a garbage team and was proud of that. He sends a message that he picked the wrong playbook (after I basically showed my well thought out first drive) so I restart. Well magically the next game he's doing all the opposite of what he was just doing and my game froze/lost connection with him in the lead. I figure no problem, we can restart since I just restarted for him. Did it happen? No, that user refused. I was new to TF so they pretty much sided with him. So this is not my first time on TF playing against a user that is hell bent on winning. I envisioned TF as a place where we play for fun and not Ws & Ls. I guess it was just a vision. I guess I was wrong for wanting a restart from scratch and I'll apologize to that person. I just wanted to play a game with no interruptions. Thanks for all you guys' comments.

RaY

11. Iron Mickey

Just by reading this....

I think your taking things a little harsh bro.

12. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Restart from scratch.

13. uncleho

uncleho Walk On

Restart from scratch is the easiest solution, there is over half the game left and only a 1 possession difference.

14. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

No I'm not takin' it harsh nor am I mad. But I can understand if he was up by 21 (because where I'm from that's ball game) but it was 7. My thinkin' would be, ehh its only seven I can get that back. I'm not playing to win or lose. Quite frankly, I could care less if I win or lose. I'll look back on it and say "damn I should of did this, ok I'll do that next time" but I don't get mad at the user or anything. I play this game because I like being around guys who just "play for fun" and never realized guys are really trying to whoop my ass I guess. Just never thought 7 points would be a refusal to play again that's all. Not trying to make the other user look bad (nor you guys' opinions, because nothing stated/or the other user's action was terrible) I just stated what I felt. I just typed what I would say if we were face to face, obviously it sounds emotional on a forum.

15. Iron Mickey

I see your point. I guess it just depends on the user really. I can see both sides of the spectrum.

16. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

I've always been of the rule that you restart from scratch, no matter what the lead is.

I've had games where I was up by 14 or 21 and get disconnected and have to start over. We started over from scratch and I'd either end up losing the game or winning the game.

Shit happens. It's a VIDEO GAME.

17. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

Like G said.... I understand both sides....

My only thing is why are you so against spotting him the 7? I don't think it's all about winning and winning only, but everyone wants to win. We just want to win in a sim environment with good sportsmanship, with a great community to share our stories and games with. Seeing as how the half was almost over, and you have routinely won against this user, I don't understand why you can't work out a compromise spotting him the 7?

If it's about principle for you, then I guess I understand. I just think you can make this a non-issue by working with the other user. I don't believe it's necessary to take a stand. This is just my .02 cents.... I'm not saying either of you are wrong, just how I see the situation.

18. benbuckeye

benbuckeye Walk On

I kinda see both sides jerzey...me personaly I would probably just restart the game, and bitch land cry like Rasheed Wallace does when hes called for a foul, if i lost lol. I see the othr guys point though with it being a big game or what not

19. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

I think that's fine when it's a agreed upon rule within the league, or between users.... but per the rule he listed it's up to the users to come up with an agreement between the two. In that situation they both have different point of views... Therefore neither are wrong with how they want to proceed, as both are valid arguments.

20. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Yeah, I know this. As the co-commish I decided to stop debating the topic and let him finish with the computer even with a NC spot on the line because like I said I'm not about winning or losing. I just like when I do get the win in a big spot I get a lil' trophy so it doesn't look like I get my ass whooped all the time(y)

21. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

you spot the guy a TD at the start of the 'restart' and problem solved... move along.

22. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

If they both agree to a restart. restart.

If not, do what ryno said.

23. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

I guess.... I really don't understand this at all, but it's not my league so what does it matter. If it was a league I was in I would be very disappointed you would rather the game be played against the computer instead of just spotting the man 7??? It's like your not getting your way with a complete restart so you'll rather go pout in the corner (Not play). Just how it comes off in my opinion...... I'm only posting because you asked what we think.

24. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    ...until the commish comes in and rules. That is why we have commissioners. They are essentially baby-sitters for situations in which grown people can't come to a mutual resolution.

I don't get it. The trailing user either wants a restart or to not play at all (and all but certainly be guaranteed a loss)? Not sure I follow the logic. It's just a touchdown and you still have an entire half to play. It's not like it's a 28-0 drubbing.

25. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Pout in the corner? Really? Nevermind I won't even start...

All I asked was "What would you do" not what I did. I think he'd rather finish that game with the CPU anyway because he didn't object to it. I asked for an opinion on the situation, not on that game personally. I only elaborated because GUnit was responding. I think I've got enough opinions tho