Start

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Shaun Mason, Aug 23, 2013.

?

Which do you prefer?

Poll closed Aug 25, 2013.
  1. Start A$AP

46.7%
  2. Wait for 53 man rosters

53.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    TMFL25

2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

When are the 53 roster projected to be set?

3. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

I think cut down is sept 1, so hopefully sometime that week a roster update would be out.

4. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

When does the game come out?

5. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Noon (EDT)

6. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    The physical copy comes out Tuesday.

7. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    It took until Sept 9th last year.

8. OMlawdog

Have we thought about a cap on extensions? Last year some owners started signing guys to 7 year deals when they knew we may only have 4-5 seasons left.

Same with bonus/salary. It was one area that I thought was abused by some unsim owners and wanted to see if there was some discussion about this. Im sorry if this should be somewhere else.

9. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

no on that one.

Sometime before Labor Day.

10. antcap24

antcap24 Walk On

I like things to be as close to NFL like as possible. Every year there are some nice rookies that will be left out of the mix if we start ASAP.

If we wait, we will be able to simulate a season with all users and check for any salary cap glitches, hot dog price glitches, and anything else that can pop up.

I hate restarts, so if there are things we can test as a whole unit before diving into the real franchise, I think we would be better for it.

If we set up a TEST TMFL league in which we sim through a few years and have people give their feedback of any bizarre findings they have from year to year offseason, we may be able to help get any glitches taken care of prior to our real start.

I am as geared up as the rest of you to get started on some TMFL, but I think we can easily find enough willing people to do exhibition games at night to allow us to find a playbook that works for us and get used to our teams and the game while we wait.

• Like Like x 7
  11. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    I'd rather just start with the Training Camp roster(so the default roster) and then make the cuts I want for my team. Those final few roster spots being 100% accurate won't likely make a difference and you would have the players you wanted in their spot anyway.

I'm fine with whatever though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

I voted to wait, but either way is fine with me.

13. dakota7

I agree with this. I think some leagues had a 25% total value of the contract had to be signing bonus rule. I can support something similar.

14. RRAHx2

RRAHx2 Cleared for Takeoff

I know people are thinking the updates "should" be out shortly after release, but going off of last year, I am not wanting to wait over a month just to start the league.

• Like Like x 1
  15. RRAHx2

I used this rule plus some more restrictions.. a 3 year contract limit. To keep the FA pool healthy and also to keep guys from signing 7 year contracts when we won't even play that many to begin with. Sorry to get off topic! Back to start date discussions!

16. HAL9100

Featured Threads:
    Don't the players essentially control that? If a player wants a 7 year extension and you offer 4, he won't extend. So you lose a player to FA and he probably wouldn't sign in the offseason either since he still wants 7 years and then would end up as a waiver claim at the start of the next season.

17. RRAHx2

I know in M13 this was not the case. As long as you gave him the amount he wanted annually, he would still re-sign.

18. dakota7

Yeah I wouldn't support contract length restrictions either. But I think we should control how they are structured.

19. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

All of this. If we start as soon as the game drops, I'm great with that too. But, gun to my head, I go with this.

20. OMlawdog

My problem is when people sign guys to 7 year extensions and they know there are only 4-5 seasons left. They get a cap friendly contract with no worries about them ever getting bit by it.

At some point we have to limit the years on the contract.

21. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Are contracts still ridiculously back heavy in M25?

22. RRAHx2

Agreed. It would be different if contracts were paid evenly throughout the years, but when a contract is backloaded, it makes it more advantageous to offer the longest contract possible.

23. HAL9100

Featured Threads:
    Unless the players getting 7 year contracts aren't quality players that should be getting contracts that long, then there's no issue with that. A player that deserves a 7 year contract getting a 7 year contract isn't a problem even if you're not going another 7 years, imo.

24. pittrocks43

pittrocks43 TMFL Steelers

This all comes down to if you want to be a real GM or not. We start early your basically creating your 53. We wait for the update, 53 is all set for you. Either way I'm good.

• Like Like x 1
  25. OMlawdog

Here is the example:

Player A is a cap hit of 8 million in the final year of a deal. The team only has 6 million in cap room. He wants a 4 year deal that will be about 11 million a year and be a cap hit of over 9 million first year and jump to 11 million the 2nd year. The Team may not be able to sign him. But hey, there is only 4 years left in the league. So you sign him to a 7 year 80 million dollar deal with only a 7 million dollar signing bonus, and his cap hit is only 6 million in the first year. So now you have saved 2 million in cap room because 45 million dollars of the deal are backloaded to years you know you are never going to have to play. So you get to keep an elite player at discount prices because you know it won't bite you in the ass in years 5-7 of the deal.

That is not sim. That is gaming the system.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.