Started From the Bottom: A Nonplayoff Team Season Wrap-up

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Big Suge Knight, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    As the 2013 season winds down let's take a look how non-playoff teams are preparing to wrap up the season and gear up for what they hope to be a successful Offseason.

[​IMG]
    What is your biggest disappointment from this season as your team heads into the offseason without a playoff bid?
    MB: Mike Glennon played most of the season without our number one receiver Vincent Jackson.
    What is your biggest surprise from this season as your team heads into the offseason without a playoff bid?
    The play of rookie CB Jonathan Banks, who currently is 4th on the team in tackles (56) and third in interceptions (6). We look forward to him continuing his improvement as the corner opposite Darrelle.
    Is there conversation within your organization about shaking up the staff?
    At the end of every season we evaluate all positions in the organization starting from the top all the way down play number 53.
    What are the two biggest area of need for your team heading into the offseason?
    1. Adding a solid MLB to play between Lavonte David and Dekoda Watson.
    2. Look for more solid play at the center position
    What player(s) would like to get a better look at the last couple games of the season?
    Determine if Mason Foster can be the answer at MLB and see if we have a trustworthy HB on the roster.

[​IMG]
    What is your biggest disappointment from this season as your team heads into the offseason without a playoff bid?
    My offensive line and Jay Cutler. The line gives me no time, but Cutler cannot hit a deep pass to save his life.
    What is your biggest surprise from this season as your team heads into the offseason without a playoff bid?
    That I actually almost won a game.
    The only thing about the staff that needs changing is the guy who has no stick skills.
    Offensive line. They're horrible. Safety. Zero depth at all.
    What player(s) would like to get a better look at the last couple games of the season?
    I'm not sure yet. Probably going to give some of the younger defensive ends and safeties a bit more playing time, along with the younger corners.

[​IMG]
    Has to be the play of our defense, especially the secondary. An injury to starting MLB Henderson didn't help things but our secondary, especially our safeties, were abused repeatedly. Our LBs may be the worst in the NFL and our DL rarely got any pressure. Things are so bad the Vikings will likely look to transition to a 3-4 zone blitz defensive scheme.
    Our ability to run the ball with any success after trading Adrian Peterson. The truth is that our running back by committee in AP's absence, while not having the game breaking speed as he did, still managed to wrack up yards. While AP still had a ton of success in Atlanta, this just reinforces the team's decision to get maximum value for the running back.
    There is no conversation: the team has already announced its intentions to move on from Leslie Frazier. Frazier, a noted Dungy and 4-3 disciple is incompatible with what the Vikings want to do moving forward.
    Easy: Quarterback and Outside Linebacker.

While both Christian Ponder and Josh Freeman had flashes of brilliance this season, the team feels they are not the long-term answer for the franchise.

The OLB spot will become much more important as the team transitions to a 3-4. While the safety play of the Vikings was atrocious, the OLB spot is still the most important for the scheme the Vikings have in mind going forward.

Really, all of them should want to use these last two opportunities to impress the management because God knows they have yet to do so thus far this season. Literally no one's job is safe.

Thanks to Roggie and Baron for the quick responses
    More interviews to come

• Like Like x 5
  2. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Mine is coming tomorrow. Sorry I didn't respond to the PM Suge, I saw it did something and forgot to respond

• Like Like x 1
  3. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

[​IMG]
    The disappointment has come with the coaching staff as a whole. Being gone for a good portion to start the season really put a damper on the season. Then add to that the need to get accustomed to the pieces who were with us was really upsetting. But the biggest disappointment was with the injuries to our team. We started the season with Andy Dalton and Gio Bernard injured as well as Takeo Spikes on defense hurt. That single handedly crippled our entire season. Thankfully we have showed flashes of improvement and hopefully that'll mean we can improve with a decently high draft pick coming our way.

What is your biggest surprise from this season as your team heads into the offseason without a playoff bid?The biggest surprise for the season has been our defenses tenacity for getting turnovers. In the two games before the nine point loss to Minnesota, we had a few defensive touchdowns including a pick six for Adam "Pac-Man" Jones against the Colts (may not be there since the game was "excessively grieved"). I love our pieces but at the same time, they're old in the secondary but it's good to see they still have life in em.

As of now, we are content with Marvin Lewis. But he will finish out his contract along with Andy Dalton finishing his. We will reevaluate next season what to do with both but our main goals are keeping things the same so that we can evaluate things fairly with both.

Right now, we need to get younger in the secondary, especially at corner. We love both Leon Hall and T-New (Terrance Newman) but Adam "Pac-Man" Jones is in need of a reboot. We will look to draft Corner with our first round pick. From there, we hope to limit things to Best Available since we still have so many pieces. We like what we have with our two Tight Ends and our Receiving Corp but we need to figure out if Andy Dalton is the guy to take us to the promise land. Because of that, we'll probably look to draft a QB in the 4-5 round range to be safe as Josh Johnson has shown he isn't a serviceable back-up for us.

As stated before, we will evaluate further Andy's future here. Other guys getting their auditions will be the entire O-Line. In the Minnesota game, Kevin Zeitler was called for 3 holding calls in the 4th quarter and he has lost his starting spot for the remainder of the season. He may be trade bait now. If not, he'll be given another chance to play and we can decipher how we move forward with him.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]
    Well when I took the Titans job, the team was 1-9 so I knew the season was over. Just trying to keep all the pieces of the puzzle healthy and hope to add some beasts in the draft and free agency. The defense is pretty solid in my opinion, just need more weapons on offense.
    The biggest surprise is the terrible QB play. It's not even user errors, simple throws in the flat or 5-7 yards down field going directly to defenders no where near the receiver.
    We're going to give this staff a chance, they are doing the best they can with the talent they have on the roster. If we start feeling the team has the talent and we still aren't winning, that's when we need to start looking at the higher up's.
    We're going to look at all options but if I had to take a few guesses, a linebacker and a QB would be my first few guesses
    Justin Hunter & Kendall Wright, they've shown some signs of progression but getting them to show up every week has been tough.

[​IMG]

Defense, creating turnovers, and throwing INTs.

There were some teams we just couldn't stop. Maybe forced them to punt 1 or maybe 2 times a game. This can't be. We need some more playmakers on defense and need to start catching some INTs. Plenty of passes hit us in the hands but we didn't convert. Big Ben made a ton of silly throws this year that almost always resulted in picks. Some were due to being down early, and having to throw a lot. We will look next season to keep a healthy offense and defense, and limit the turnovers on the offensive side of the ball.
    Big Ben throwing more INTs than TDs. Really going to focus on that next season and I think if we get that ratio reversed, we will be fighting for a playoff spot.
    Not just yet. We will see how next season goes. I'm confident if we make a few changes on each side of the ball and do well in the draft, we will compete for the AFC North crown next year.
    Safety/DB help. A lot of old starters in the secondary. We hope to draft a few guys to help rebuild this once strong group.
    Going to force feed La'veon Bell these last few games. Get him used to carrying the load 20+ times a game. Troy is out for the season so Thomas will step in the starting role and we will see how he does. WR Sanders continues to get better in Antonio Brown's absence, so I feel confident in our WR core and offense as a whole next year.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

6. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Sure I can send it out for the playoff teams.

• Like Like x 2