Starting?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by MorsDraconis, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Starting?

When are we planning on starting fellas? I'm anxious to get going!

2. cfoley33102

cfoley33102 Walk On

I was thinking the same thing lol.

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Me too. :)

Actually, we're having the discussion right now. We're looking to go soon, but we are trying to hammer out as many details on sliders and gameplay issues and that kind of thing as we can.

We'll go soon. I just don't know exactly when yet. When the entire commish staff has said what they want to say about it, we'll pick a date and time. I can say it will be soon, but I can't commit just yet.

AG

4. cfoley33102

cfoley33102 Walk On

Cool Thanks Archie

5. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Heya folks - have you guys launched yet?

6. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Yeah, but it's going pretty slow. Only about half the people have finished their first game and there's been pretty much zero traffic on the forum for this dynasty...

7. Razcalking1978

Yeah, that's why I asked - no game summaries yet?

Folks, I'm not the Commish, but let me say this - there's still a lot of new applicants out there, and it's smarter to replace inactive people at the beginning of a dynasty.

Everyone should at LEAST be putting up game summaries for their first week's games.

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Listening to Raz is always a good policy. If you're playing in a bunch of dynasties, I suggest you quit this one. You're not going to keep up, and we'll eventually boot you. This is not the place for the "show up and play" crowd. We do it differently. If you don't, then save us the trouble and wish us well as you go.

AG

9. Thrilledge

Thrilledge Guest

Hopefully we start moving faster than this. jeesh

10. Razcalking1978

This dynasty runs at regular OFFL pace - two advances a week, the next one being tomorrow.

The entire point of a community like this is not to go as fast as you can. It's to create a community with game summaries, previews, discussion, etc.

If you're looking for a show-up-and-play-but-never-post league, that's not what OFFL is supposed to be.

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Look at the dynasty before you sign up. Advance times are no secret.

Got a feeling you won't be around long.

AG

12. Thrilledge

Thrilledge Guest

Huh? Where does that comment come from??

13. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Yes, the activity here is pretty much non-existent but that also seems to go for the Commish as well.

How can you expect for anything great to happen with a dynasty when the Commish isn't even posting updates and such?

As for my activity, well, it's kinda hard to get up for something and take time out of my BUSY schedule to do stuff for this dynasty (beyond playing and recruiting).

I've got stuff to put up, but I've been crazy busy trying to find a new job.

14. What do you mean by being active. To me, that's always meant keep up with recruiting and play your games on time. You can't force people to talk to each other, if they don't want to they just don't. I don't think threatening people is a good way to run a league, especially with this economy and the fact that it's summer.

I'm sure people will come around once summers over, but no reason to hold your finger over the red button after week 1.

15. Razcalking1978

No, that's not being active on the forums. There are a thousand fly-by-night dynasties out there on Operation Sports that just want you to show up and play. They last about a month on average.

We, on the other hand, maintain a full website with game summaries - http://www.traditionfootball.com/offl. If you don't want to "talk to each other" or about your team, then then this is not the place for you.

16. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

It's not a threat at all. All of this is laid out for everyone who decides to join, not just here in the OFFL, but in the Tradition Football community. This thing exists because of a certain kind of philosophy. Site-wide, all members are asked to be involved in the leagues they play in. Ask anyone who's been around. The OFFL was approached by TF because we do the things we do. The dynasties that live three months and then die on the OS forums do so because they don't get involved.

I'm not making threats. Well, I don't mean to at least. What I am saying is that this is a community of and for a certain kind of gamer. If you're not that, then this might not be the place for you.

When the big expansion happened, the site and league management guys discussed how our way of doing things could get diluted if we simply take whoever shows up. We tried to combat this by laying out everything a new guy would need to know about us before he ever joins. We tried to explain what kind of place this is before allowing new guys to join, and everyone is asked to answer a few questions about who they are and how they play as well. Everyone likes what they see here, but fewer guys understand just how much of a part of it they are.

I understand that I appear gruff at times, but it isn't because I'm some kind of dictator. The guys who put all this together do it for free, at tremendous cost to their time and their wallets. They gave us this place to play, and I want to respect that gift by being true to what got us here in the first place. People throw around the word "sim" all the time, but I'm not sure we know what we're talking about most of the time.

I put in tremendous amounts of time to maintain a league that everyone likes, but some don't really take part in. I would like that to change. A paragraph about your game, a current and running list of recruits, and interaction with the other guys - if that's a lot to ask, then this is not a good place for any of you. You'll hear the same, or something very similar, from the Tradition guys. Just ask them.

It's a community. That's what I'm trying to get across here. If you don't want to talk to each other, play offline. There's no difference between that and what many of you are doing here. Let's just get something clear - I'm not going to budge on this. You can differ with me if you like (guys often do) but if you think you're going to remake us, you're not. Our methods work, and they create something a lot of guys enjoy quite a bit.

We have guys lining up to play here. I get messages every day. Go read the site intro stuff over again, and see if there is something there you might have missed last time.

I'm not speaking to any one person here. I'm talking to everybody.

AG

17. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

It's funny that we continue to have this conversation and you guys (Archie and Raz) continue to talk about wanting guys that post, keep things going, and all that, yet, where's the Commish of the league?

How can you expect people to be excited about posting if the Commish is doing what you guys are saying shouldn't be done?

18. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Mors,

You're a good dude, so I'm going to give you a pass on this one, but don't call out the commish in public. PM him or me anything you like, but this kind of stuff is not going to go over well. And your commish is in touch with me all the time. He participates in our discussions about rosters, sliders, start times etc. There's a lot that goes on around here that you don't see, and apparently don't appreciate. Most of the setup in these forums was done by him, and has not been used at all by any of you. Whatever he has done, it is more than any of the other members, by far. I'd try to know a little more before going after a guy, especially when you're as new as you are.

AG

19. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

It means this is the kind of thing you tend to hear from guys who quit early.

20. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

Well put AG. Seriously, you knew what this league was about when you signed up.This is nothing they just sprung on you. If you knew you just wanted to recruit & just play your games, why sign up???? There are plenty of leagues on OS that just play their games & keep it moving.

Also about "the commish not posting", you still post regardless of what some1 else is doing. Just cause some1 not doing something, you are not going to do it either?

Forum activity goes for every1 in the league. New members & veterans. No1 gets special treatment. If you are not doing what you are suppose to do when you signed up, you will be booted regardless of who you are.

21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I figured this thread would get the attention of some of the guys outside the OFFL. The vets see everything.

Feel free to ask around, guys. You'll find most of the folks who have been around agree with me.

22. CaddilacRockBox

CaddilacRockBox 3 Star Recruit

I've been reading this conversation the whole time it's been going on. I had no need to comment on it because AG and Raz pretty much made my point for me. I haven't made a summary of my first week game because the sliders that we all used in Week 1 were clearly broken. That has changed for Week 2. Like Archie said, if you need to talk to me about something, PM me. That's why it's there.

23. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Keepin' it 1hunnah.

Featured Threads:
    I for one do.

I am a pretty internet savy guy, I have been around. The community is what makes a site, a league, or any kind of internet collective. Without that sense of community there is really nothing. Anyone can round up 12 strangers and play for a few weeks. Most of us have been around for at long time, not just in this league.

There is much time and effort involved in keeping this site running smoothly. If Archie seems jaded, there is a reason. We have seen many people come and go. The expectation here is laid out in the open, up front. If you can't rise to the challenge, find somewhere more suited to your tastes.

If anyone thinks being a commish or any other kind of admin is fun, come try it. If you think you can do better than one of the leaders, come on and do it. All we are asking for is get to know each other, get excited about the league and hit things on time. You should WANT to do that...if it is a chore, there are other places to play.

:)

24. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

I would just expect a little bit more activity from a commish is all.

Maybe I'm spoiled by the amount of time and effort Murk puts into TFIV and I'm completely missing what you do behind the scenes, but it seems like the lack of interest is being allowed to fester instead of busting peoples asses and getting on their cases about not getting shit done.

I mean, here we are, more than a week into the first week of the dynasty and 5 people still haven't even played their first game. Now, I know there's an issue with The Knee and his internet (which, BTW, what is up with his stuff? Anyone heard from him about what's going on?). MG24000 was kicked from TFIV for being inactive and that seems to have carried over to this dynasty as well. Not sure what is up with the other three guys.

But, basically, why hasn't anything been done about this yet? If we're going to be serious about activity and such, why are we even wasting time with guys that haven't logged into the dynasty in 6 days, much less done what they need to do?

I mean, hell, I'm EXCITED to play Navy. I mean, I was on a high beating Ohio State like I did. It was great how I just imposed my will upon them. But, then to see all this inactivity, it's depressing. I've went to post most stuff about Navy three times now in the past three days and then I just say fuck it.

25. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

Guys, if you have issues with anything related to the dynasty, it's best you contact your commish via PM and not throw him under the bus on the forums.

The OFFL clearly, probably more than any other dynasty's on the site, state their model for their leagues... advance pace, posting requirements etc. If you can't/don't plan on meeting those standards, drop now before you have this thing up your ass called an "Archie Griffin" that won't feel too good.... trust me, i've seen him in action the last 4 months.

As far as Fast_'s comment.... seriously, this place is about community first, not games or leagues.. if you want to be standoffish and "not like people" go a head and head for the door in a "fast" and "furious" way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.