Stat Balance

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Just checking in -

To me, it looks like, aside from a few small things, we seem to be getting good stats all around. OM seems to be our best passer, and can get stats no matter what, and Easy could probably run the ball if you gave the other team 13 players, but I don't consider this any kind of issue. Some guys are just really good at what they do. It doesn't unbalance anything.

How do you guys feel about the gameplay? You getting what you want from the CPU? Getting a good challenge? If we were to make an adjustment, what would you suggest? (FYI - nothing that makes it easier, unless you plan to balance it with something else, like a bit tougher passing game balanced with a slightly easier running game - that kind of thing.)

Just looking for thoughts. I think we may have the best on field setup on this site, but I'm always looking to improve. New guys - feel free to weigh in. The rest of us have been at it a while, and may notice different things than someone with fresh eyes.

2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I would like easier passing with a touch harder rushing...but thats from a guy with a mobile qb.

3. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

I would like the opposite. Harder passing and a touch easier rushing.

4. ChildPlease9

ChildPlease9 @HKSeahawks

I've only played one game, but I would agree with Osiris (if anything were to be changed). I was pretty satisfied with how it played.

5. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

By harder passing I'd like to say that I don't think a drop in QB Accuracy is the answer but an increase in CPU Pass Defense. Accuracy seems about right, the CPU just blows a lot of pass coverages. Then again I might just be better then average at passing. I don't think we should knee jerk reaction and nerf passing because I can pass, just like we shouldn't knee jerk reaction and nerf rushing because Easy can run.

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I kind of consider you guys to be the ends of the spectrum. If I'm getting balance in the middle, and good averages, then I'm pretty happy. We're not going to be perfect, but I think this setup is the closest I've seen. We may get a small uptick in CPU coverage at some point. Nothing soon. Nothing big. Just looking to touch base and see what you guys think. After playing with these for a while, we might have figured everything out, if you know what I mean.

7. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Oddly enough, Arch', the running game seems easier to me this season. I wasn't sure if you tweaked the sliders or not. I pulled my top back after 15 carries in reasonable scoring game because the holes up the middle were ridiculous. This could just be about my competition ... or perhaps this is simply the best RB I've ever rostered, but I'll keep my eye on it. I'm going to further limit my powers/counters for the time being.

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I had a tough time running in my last game, and that was against a C- defense. Maybe it's a week-to-week thing.

9. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

EA keeps handing me cupcake efforts so that I go into the 'Dame game undefeated. ; )

10. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

I happen to like these sliders and settings(threshold and game speed) a lot. It's funny because at times, the CPU is on point and it makes the games so much fun. In other dynasties, you sleep walk through games. Yet I have blown out some teams with the major one being at South Carolina(undefeated at the time) and shutting them out. That Texas game though, at Texas was a straight bitch. I had to work for everything.

For the people who say the passing game is really easy, I'd like to know what kind of routes do you run? Do you mainly run a certain type of route, say a cross or drag? Or do you pick plays that have all sorts of routes and go to those. I like to spread it out, I don't like to do mainly crosses, drags and posts. We all know the AI is always going to give those types of plays up. I like to mix in outs, deep outs, curls, corners... etc By no means am I trying to be a dick or call you out, I am just curious. You might just be that good.

The running, again has been off and on but I have went over 100 each game I think.

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think he's that good. He's some kind of zen master, I think. I once saw him catch a fly with a pair of chopsticks. :D

Seriously, though, OM described his practice regimen once. He logs the time. Better mix up the coverages when you play him.

12. TD351

TD351 Walk On

I had a great/challenging game vs UNC, but then shut down VT. So for me: 2 weeks ago felt great and last week felt easy with the same sliders- obviously we don't want every game to unfold the same way so I think the sliders are good/close for now.

13. bdub

bdub Walk On

I think the sliders are perfect right now.

14. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

I agree, I think they're great

15. TD351

TD351 Walk On

I bet Archie is gonna want to see some losses to the CPU again this year (which I don't think has happened yet)...so somebody needs to man up and take one!

16. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

lol...Pitt tried to get me...I got them thanks to my defense being able to continue to score points.

17. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I do - but I don't want to manufacture them. I'd really like to see a user-user championship game, since we've gone two seasons vs. the CPU. What I'm really thinking of doing is remaking a set of bowl sliders that we put in place after the regular season, so bowl games become tougher than regular season games again. That might be step one.

18. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

If you play a straight game that CPU is going to get you. It happened to me in a rivalry game a couple of seasons ago. It can happen.

19. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Pitt got me last year on a last second iced kick. Fun game, but it sucked losing it. I scored to go ahead late, but I left them too much time. Pitt's not on my schedule this year, but I left'em on Easy's :thumbsup:

20. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I took care of them for ya...I want them on there every year...It hasn't been an easy game yet and it is a good recruiting tool.

21. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

You know what? I actually like that I have had these losses and some scares. It makes you bring your a-game or else you will lose. I don't want to sleep through my games. I want to have to coach them. Right now I have to do that.

22. TD351

TD351 Walk On

With 8 of the top 9 ranked teams being user controlled right now I think we have a good chance for that this year....but it is early!

23. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

We will likely see some form of the "ACC" syndrome take place, meaning there will be so much parity that we might all end up with 1 loss.

24. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

We'll end up putting losses on each other before it's over, but we started the year ranked higher, so we'll rebound from losses much better this season. I think a one loss team is going to be in the big dance. Just a guess, but I could really see it happening.

25. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

I've pretty much been a pass oriented player my entire NCAA/Madden life. I've never been that great in the run game.

I don't run any single route combination during a game. I try to mix it up to keep the defense guessing. I come to the LOS with a plan to attack zone, plan to attack man, and plan to run the ball. Then I make pre-snap reads and decide which play will get me the best results. I do a fair bit of hot routing at the LOS to adjust the play based on what the defense shows me. An example, if I see that the defense is showing heavy blitz with one high and I have my weak outside WR on a post I'll hot route him to a streak hoping to shoot past whatever defender is suppose to defend that deep zone. In my game against Miss State I got two long TDs to Boone that way.

Another thing I always have is a hot read for the blitz. Pressure with these sliders gets there so fast that you don't have time to decide which reciever you are going to throw to post snap. You have to know who is going to be open and be ready to make the pass. Often you will get a split second to throw the ball before taking a sack.

That said I do have route combinations I like more then others (as I'm sure everyone does.) Against man defense I like the mesh plays, Y corner, bench switch, anything that sends a HB on a wheel route, and anything that has a TE doing a double move. Against zone I like smash, bench, deep post, drives, shallow cross, corners, and spot routes to name a few. Running I do a mix of inside / outside zone, counters, power o, and off tackle. The only thing I really don't run is play action. The animations take so long and the defense is in the backfield so fast it is hard to be effective.

One thing I never do is call a play I haven't tried out on the practice field first. I don't want to be learning how a play unfolds in a game situation. That is a recipe for disaster.

While my QB this year, Bailey Barrett, is only like a 78 OVR he has good THP of 88 and decent THA of 86. His passing skills are higher then his OVR would suggest and are the highest on my team. I have also been playing a more conservative passing attack this year then I did last year. Last year I felt comfortable passing into tight windows with Jarrett Lee. This year I try to hit only open recievers, electing to throw the ball away or take a sack rather then press my luck tossing the ball up into tight coverage or throwing to a reciever where I don't have position to make the catch.