Stat Issues

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

(NOTE: I am speaking of several issues in this post. There is no single target, so to speak. Nor are there many. We have a few isolated issues that we need to start policing. Some of us are playing as if no one is watching. I am watching.)

C'mon guys,

Let's get things in line here.

I'm not interested in any kind of "is he talking about me?" stuff. Let's not get into it. Safe to say that if you're asking the question, you're probably also engaging in the kind of stuff I'm talking about, so just go ahead and assume that I am talking about you.

I can't address problems some guys are having when others are dipping into a giant sack of cheese to pull off wins and stats they probably shouldn't.

Issues I'm seeing:

1. Huge yardage, especially from key players. We're using our money plays to run up the numbers, and we're not posting the vids because we know what's up. This is relatively minor. We all want our guys to be up for awards, and we always run it up a little, even when we don't really want to. I just don't want to start a cheese war out there as guys start to out Slot-Post each other.
    2. (This will get you kicked) - Some of us are getting quite a few more snaps off than others. It's more than a little hurry up. DO NOT SIM THE GAME TO GET MORE POSSESSIONS. Get stops on your own, or take the loss. Getting an extra quarter's worth of offensive snaps in a game is going to invalidate every award we have.
    Stop the go-to stuff. If you want to win all your games, get stops. And post vids.

This is pretty much a yearly ritual. We start, we get competitive, and then we start upping the stats to outdo each other. Let's pay some attention to this now, rather than calling each other out later when the award candidates are announced, or when we win another game with a late comeback after turning the ball over a half dozen times.

This keeps up, and results are going to be thrown out. Fair warning.

AG

2. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Arch', thanks for posting this. We've talked about a few games that have stood out thus far this season, so I'd like to see it nipped in the bud, as well. Please remember that we're called "Sim-Nation" for a reason - no other style of play is acceptable. If you have to throw to your #1 receiver in the slot 10X per game or super-sim your D' to win, why bother playing at all?

I'd like to bring up the subject or board participation as well. Most of us pop on every day (or at least every other) to engage each other, but we've had a few who have been distant and silent. C'mon, fellas, we need you here! It only takes a couple of minutes to pop on and post a few words. This league's only as fun as the members here make it. Don't be strangers.

3. bdub

bdub Walk On

Arch', I am glad you brought this up as this is the kind of stuff that can destroy the league. Guys lets have an open forum if something looks crazy then call them out and we can discuss it. If you didn't do anything wrong than you shouldn't be offended if you have to defend yourself. I hope that if anybody ever questions my games I hope someone will bring it up to me so that I have a chance to clear my name and I imagine I'm not the only one.

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

We've tried this kind of thing in the past, and it led to a lot of public bitchiness, enough to be counter-productive, since we all ended up not liking each other to some degree. Let's bring issues to me, and I will address what I feel needs to be addressed, and I will do so mostly in private. This way, we're not taking shots at each other, and/or feeling the need to defend ourselves. Consider this message the warning shot, so to speak. There are leagues that don't mind this stuff. This just isn't one of them. Now that's it's been said, no one can cry foul when the hammer follows.

5. bdub

bdub Walk On

Sounds fair to me

6. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Stats I posted through week 3 didn't look that off to me. In most cases the CPU was the leader in all areas except rushing I think (and we have some users that throw like Navy throws). As far as plays run, I know I dominated West Virginia in plays but that was mostly due to me needing 10 plays to score and West Virginia scoring in 1 or 2 plays. If I could replace those West Virginia scores with them running more plays I would. I don't much like it when I give up big plays :)

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

#2 is not talking about having more plays than the other guy. It's talking about games in which there are too many plays overall. If we average, say, 95 plays a game as a group, and one guy is getting 135, that's more than an entire quarter and a half of extra time a guy can use to pump stats. Small gaps are the product of accidents. Large gaps are manufactured by simming snaps. The CPU sims based on 5 minute quarters, so plays don't take much time off the clock at all. If you're down, you can use this to keep time on the clock, get more possessions, come back, and win, especially since the CPU is typically forgiving when we're down, so we get a lot of 3 and outs by simming when we're down a couple scores. Next thing we know, there's a comeback late, often with two scores in the final couple minutes, and then we end up with a giant stat mess, and a win that should have been a loss. It ain't that hard to figure out what happened, especially if I track it over time, which I do.

That's one of the reasons for the warning shot. Frankly, I'm not real happy about the need for it. Nor will I be happy about the claims of ignorance that are sure to follow. There's no need for everyone to stop by and say how guiltless they are. I just thought it was time to let everyone know that not much gets by me. Feel free to ask around about that.

8. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

I would hope that if you saw a game that you thought suspect you would message that person privately and talk to them about it rather then let is boil up to the point of exploding. Best to nip things in the butt immediately then let it brew.

About number of plays, I thought 120 plays was the baseline number 8 min quarters tried to reach.