Stat Questions

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Couple things I'm seeing that I have questions about:
    1. We seem to have gone run heavy all over, and we now have the top four rushers in the game as user players. I spread my carries out, or I bet I might be in that group as well. Do we do this because running is just that much easier than passing? I'm just looking for a way to make the risk/reward match the real game just a bit more than it does right now. Any suggestions?
    2. Those of you recording big sack numbers - Are you controlling the player making the sack, or is it a play call thing? Again, I'm not terribly concerned, but double digit sacks this early is a tad more than usual, and again, it's all user players at the top of the list.
    Last year, it was the passing game that was overpowered. This year, I think we might have shifted things towards the run. Anyone not running a spread throw for big numbers ... ever?
    Anyway, since this has been the case for a season and a half now, it might be time to talk adjustment. I want to hear what you guys think.

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

And just to be completely clear - I have no gameplay concerns here. I don't think anyone's out of line. I just think that maybe the stats are telling us something about how the game plays, and maybe we could help guys have more fun with it.

3. Big D

Big D Walk On

I think when you have the top 4 rushers in the nation as users something is definitely out of whack right?

4. bdub

bdub Walk On

I think running is way easier than passing and the risk reward for passing is just not worth it. When 75% of bad throws you make result in an interception, you just learn to not throw the ball very much if you want to win.

5. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Some of our top rushing teams also seem to be struggling mightily with the pass. Why risk the pick when running the ball is the safer bet? It's a lot harder to pass the ball in this year's version, so people have adjusted. We also have some teams with absolute beasts at half back, which has just made the decision to run that much easier.

Like you, Arch', I also like to spread the ball around, but it's a bit easier for me to do that, because I have to. I don't really have an elite offensive player, so I opt to go with my 80 OVR bruiser on run formations and my speedy 76 OVR HB on 3WR sets/passing downs.

Thus far this season:

Nwoko: 100 attempts/649 yards
    Carey: 60 attempts/305 yards

There's also been a couple of games where I could have guaranteed myself a win (the Oregon game included) if I had run the ball exclusively, but I was intent on running my offense, which involves me passing the ball at about a 45-50% clip.

Thus far this season:

186 pass attempts for 1435 yards
    214 rushing attempts for 1040 yards

If there's going to be a change, I think we could simply make it harder to run the ball.

Michigan, Ohio State, Florida, and particularly Washington ( 1110 pass yards, 940 rush yards) has been pretty balanced.

MSU (10 interceptions) and WSU (17 interceptions) have thrown the ball relatively well.

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Just a thought from what I see so far - what if we made running a bit tougher and made passing more forgiving (maybe by dropping INTs and CPU Pass Rush, but leaving coverage alone) to see if that gives us a bit more incentive to let it go a bit?

Still want to see what the rest of the guys think, but I really don't want the difficulty to change much - only the run/pass balance.

7. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Honestly, I absolutely love the current settings. Passing is difficult and for the most part I think running is realistic. Blocks are made and blown up. Passes are overthrown more but require a lot more touch on your buttons and leading and what not.

I personally don't want to see much changing from the current settings... But then again, without looking at my stats and just going with ego's statement, I believe I'm pretty balanced. I'll keep with my QB if it's there, but I'm pretty much a 1 RB offense with Smith.

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I kinda feel the same way - I just don't want to limit the guys to a particular play style. As long as we're using multiple systems, I can see leaving it alone. Just seeing a hint of repetition out there in the stats, so I thought I'd say something.

9. DC

DC Shake n Bake

I just love to run the ball. Follow my blockers and get big gains

10. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

I, too, love the settings. Thanks for spending the time in the lab to get them this way. I'm using them in my other OLD as well.

I think that running the ball is a lot safer than throwing it. You can change your gameplan settings and practically ensure that your HB will never fumble. They changed the running mechanics and the blocking mechanics such that running the ball (particularly inside) is a lot more dependable.

I've been trying to throw the ball more to get closer to 40% passing so that I have some balance while maintaining my identity as a running team.

As for sacks, my DT had a monster year last season. I think he had 18 sacks. It was all CPU as I never control the DTs. I also have noticed that the CPU seems to throw a lot of balls away without getting flagged for grounding. Anyone else get that?

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I like to run as well, preferably behind a FB. I've been trying to throw safe routes, and my completion percentage is high - I just think that the "go downfield at will" thing from last year is over. There are zero routes that are open every time, and if you bomb away, you'll get picked a lot. Still, I think the CPU jumps too many smart throws for my liking, but I'm willing to live with that for the difficulty.

12. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Let me weigh in as a guy who is putting up huge rushing numbers and huge sack numbers.

• The rushing numbers for me are there because of the system I run, which is a run first system out of 10-15 formations. I come to the line with a rush audible set for each and every formation. I look for certain keys and if I get them I check off into the run. I could balance things a bit more but again, Lattimore is a 95 and in his last year. I know he is leaving so I am going to feed the beast. He averages about 30 carries in a tough game (georgia, LSU, Alabama) which is on par with his carries his freshman year. When you are getting that many carries there will be elevated numbers.
    • I have gotten away from the pass game this year because my guys can NEVER get open in the amount of time I have to set my feet and throw. Most of my favorite routes are digs, outs and scat routes but I am simply not open. My WR corp isn't that good. My fast guys are tiny with no hands and drop the ball the minute they get it thrown to them, and my guys with size are slow and rarely hang on to any tough catches. Because of this I am finding large chunks of my playbook is useless. I have made adjustments but to echo some of the other statements on here the risk reward is just not there.
    • I also would like to point out that my game play is easy to defeat (see MSU game in the Kick-Off classic, see Georgia week 2). Even though I have numbers going for me I am beatable, and have taken losses to both users and the cpu. So while the rushing numbers are high, the wins aren't. I think my record is consistent with a team that runs the ball well, but is also 1 dimensional.
    • The high number of sacks are a result of user control when I am playing spread teams. I think my number one guy had 5 last game against LSU because they were passing so much and he would get a bull rush or good swim here or there. I am playing base d's and not running many blitzes. I am just trying to control the DTs and make good moves.
    I think the current settings are fine. I doubt I will be posting such high numbers once Lattimore moves on at the end of the season. I think my number one guy will be 1200 yards or so on average. The difference is that right now Lattimore can hit a homerun on a dive with a badly called blitz. Most RBs I have found just cannot do this consistantly.