State of HAW Poll

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by hskr8128, Nov 26, 2015.

?

How does HAW move forward?

Poll closed Nov 28, 2015.
  1. Continue to sim every other season

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. Finish this sim season and then play all remaining seasons

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. Scrap the sim-Let's start playing games TODAY

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. hskr8128

hskr8128 Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Fellas,

We are up against a rock and a hard place. Every time we turn around, it seems like Madden is throwing us another curveball regarding our sim seasons. I know that simming every other season is in the DNA of Hard at Work. I love the concept and it was a big factor in me joining the league 14 months ago. However, we have to face the reality that Madden has made our concept very difficult to execute this cycle. This is what we are dealing with;

• Scouting--IMO, this is far and above the biggest issue. Everyone has complained about the timeframe of the sim season but the truth is we had to find a way to allow time for scouting. If we don't pause to scout (In the current schedule we are taking 72 hours off for scouting-quite a delay) each team will have roughly 300-400 scouting points at the end of the season. With the points we will get throughout the offseason, each team will be lucky to be able to scout 15-20 players. We have discussed possible workarounds to the scouting situation like scaring scouting amongst us but it just doesn't seem viable to get all 32 members to participate in that. We welcome any ideas you may have.
    • OT Regression-RyanRain39 outlined this in detail although I can't find the thread now. I believe it was concluded that 2-3 T's would face regression but that it wasn't a crippling issue. Still, something to consider when casting your vote.
    • Timeframe-The original point of sim seasons was to get deeper into the file so we could further test our GM skills. However, how much time are we really gaining if it is taking 3 weeks to get a sim season done? That is 7 weeks worth of advances.
    • Owner Mode-Relocation is the big thing to consider here (although lets hope those are all out of the way now) but funds can be effected also. Some guys like to continually changes prices based on team performance or other factors. This isn't something I'd consider an "issue" but still worth thinking about.
    We realize that kicking off after simming 5 weeks would be disadvantageous to some people (Due to injuries or poor record, etc) but it would allow us the ability to get back to what we all want to do-play madden.

Consider this over the Thanksgiving holiday. We are scheduled to advance on Friday so get your votes/opinions/suggestions in quickly

Freakskull
    akutozo
    jay2149
    kjm007

Hordan54
    Gravity
    RFF
    Wyrmreaver

Keller
    McStrauss
    Cole Copeland
    arlennnn

Automatik
    XWarriorMonk
    ZCar352
    Craig

hskr8128
    BigK44
    GDip
    Playa2138

seanisgreat87
    greatnessdc
    Coachmedicis
    Axel Foley

RaiderRed90
    iBO
    Masterfocker
    GMONEY 15

RyanRain39
    SwagKingCole23
    Jeremy Rasmussen
    xSavedByGracex

2. RaiderRed90

RaiderRed90 Rage Fiend

I will not be able to make the draft of we cannot speed up this sim. So I am in favor of scrapping the idea and playing my games.

3. Coachmedicis

Coachmedicis Walk On

I would like to continue to sim every other season but speed up the offseason process. I honestly think we could draft one saturday or sunday and then do the next year's draft the next weekend. I agree with the people that say sim to super bowl or sim who season. Lets reward some of the people in this league who are good gm's and can step away from the game and their team still does well.

A schedule could look like this

Draft - Sunday night.

Monday - 1 time waiver period due at Noon EST.

Monday - Rosters must be set by 9pm EST

Monday - Sim entire regular season & playoffs at 9pm EST ( anyone relocating needs to be online at that time or will wait until next user season)

Monday - Resign Players - Begins around 10pm after all the sims have been completed

Tuesday - Free Agent period #1 - 9pm EST

Wednesday - Free Agent period #2 - 9pm EST

Thursday - Free Agent Period #3 - 9pm

Friday - Scouting 9pm

Sat or Sunday - Draft

If we were to play out the Super Bowl :

A schedule could look like this

Draft - Sunday night.

Monday - 1 time waiver period due at Noon EST.

Monday - Rosters must be set by 9pm EST

Monday - Sim entire regular season & playoffs up until the Super Bowl at 9pm EST ( anyone relocating needs to be online at that time or will wait until next user season)

Monday - Super Bowl

Tuesday - Super Bowl

Wednesday - Super Bowl

Directly after super bowl - Resign Players period

Thursday - Free Agent period #1 - 9pm EST

Friday - Free Agent Period #2 - 9pm

Saturday - Free Agent Period #3 - NOON

Saturday - Scouting 6pm

Sat night or Sunday - Draft

That gives 3 nights if we were to play the super bowl and still draft by saturday night or sunday.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Business as usual. If scouting bothers people then let's all band together, pool our scouting resources and make a master scouting sheet that everyone has access to.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  5. akutozo

akutozo Baby, I'm a Brown.

Completely agreed.

6. akutozo

akutozo Baby, I'm a Brown.

Hey guys... I'm gonna add my own 2 cents here and you can take it for what you will. I realize at times Freakskull, hskr8128 and RaiderRed90 are going to be bombarded by people who have differing opinions, complaints, ideas and so on. Keller dealt with this all the time and we all saw it. Sometimes the negativity can feel insurmountable when it's being thrown in your face all the time. I get that, but don't let the negativity stop you from seeing alternative solutions. SIMing seasons is in the blood of HaW. We do not need to make it more than a week to SIM.

Scouting - Get a few people together (doesn't matter, commish team, whoever) and start a Scouting thread. Keller already created a decent Google Doc for scouting. We can use it compile information and share scouting info. 10 people scouting 10 people is 100 people scouted. If you're really concerned, as we advance each week we could make a quick note of storyline players (positive or negative) and the advancing commish could blitz through their scouting points real quick from top down. You could easily scout out the entire first round or more by yourself. If you don't, no biggy. The community working together solves this problem.

OT Regression - Unfortunately, all players regress. Mettenberger lost AWR and dropped from 81 OVR to 80. Guys like Tramon Williams, Brent Grimes lost some speed. Matt Ryan dropped 20 awareness. This was in a non SIM season. Regression will happen whether we play or not. I realize this was a focus because before EA patch it, OT regression was REALLY bad, but their regression is no different than the regression risks of any other position.

Timeframe - A SIM season exists to counterbalance the 72 hour advances we have that other leagues do not. In this sped up time frame, we should not be making extra allowances for anyone. We can mash this into a week, whatever the schedule is or needs to be. Frankly, I don't think we need multiple rounds of waivers now that Hordan's list can include up to 20 guys.

Owner Mode - If an owner is relocating, under no circumstances wait for them. If they can't make the time, 31 other people don't need to wait for them. They can get their pretty new stadium next season. As far as funds go, if a team does poorly the commish team can already dole out money (as they did for poor teams with bad profits and new owners who couldn't resign players).

Bottom line... if we drown out the negativity and work together more as a community we can alleviate all of these issues.

7. RyanRain39

RyanRain39 Walk On

Here is the way I see it... The lack of scouting, is a plus. Even grounds for everyone pretty much, and forces us to put what points we do have in the positions we find valuable. From there, it is open game, All of the top talents won't be gone 1st and 2nd round. There will still possibly be sleepers in the draft.

As for the tackle regression, it was made clear that it wasn't a big enough deal to worry over.

Relocating during the sim season just shows impatience.

I do believe that staff management should be taken care of, however, I don't feel it should have added an extra 3 days to the schedule. Maybe 24 hour advances here are not the way to go, considering some of us are only in HaW and haven't played since week 17.
    Last cycle, we went to Week 1 I believe, resigned, went to playoffs, and then to the Super Bowl in one night, which was a fine format.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ZCar352

ZCar352 Keep Pounding...Go Panthers!!!

[​IMG]

Happy Thanksgiving HaW

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Awesome Content Awesome Content x 1
  9. hskr8128

hskr8128 Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Thank you coach! This is the kind of insight we need and value. This looks a lot like the original schedule that Freakskull drew up but these are the issues we ran into

• No Position change period. If we need to start waivers by noon day after draft that doesn't give people a lot of time to change position (What if someone was unavailable and missed the draft. Do they have to miss position changes also?
    • No staff firing or hiring period-If we did this schedule everyone would be at the will of CPU when it comes to staff
    • No scouting breaks--Obviously you know this one and are counting on the "community scouting" We kicked this idea around last season and decided it would be to cumbersome. What changed this year? We all know that asking for 100% participation (or even 75%) is pretty unrealistic. Coach had to ask for days for people to in his relocation poll and we STILL have members who never voted on it.
    We have run through multiple schedules and ideas. Obviously, scrapping sim seasons is not a popular idea but it is something we are considering for the good of the league as a whole. The bottom line is we are either going to have to skip things (Scouting, relocation, staff signing) or we will be facing 2-3 week sim seasons every single time.

How do we make scouting fair for everyone? What if you are online during the sim but I am not? I understand you are willing to share your scouting but lets be realistic, we would be LUCKY to get 15 people to participate in this. What if none of those 15 scouted QB's and that is what I need? There are so many variable to this thing. This has always been my preferred method but I think everyone is viewing it as a walk in the park when it will be far from it.

People wouldn't be on even ground. There will always be someone (or lots) online during the sim who is able to use up their scouting points. If we could make sure NO ONE could scout it may be an option. Also, say I get a top 5 pick in the sim season, is this not a disadvantage compared to picking top 5 in a year when I have full scouting? Or people who have multiple picks during a sim season etc.

Look, I really hope we can find a way to continue doing sim seasons, I just really want everyone to know the challenges this Madden presents for this

10. Coachmedicis

Coachmedicis Walk On

Can't you change positions all preseason long? I don't think it's worth it to worry about coaches. What value do they bring?

If we are doing community scouting...do we really need scouting breaks? If we sim straight through...only stopping if someone is relocating which shouldnt take more than a min....then everyone is in same position as far as scouting goes. So we either make due with the low points or do community scouting. I think that sounds fun....I almost felt like I was too prepared for the last draft....scouted almost the whole draft.

• Like Like x 1
  11. hskr8128

hskr8128 Walk On

Featured Threads:
    No in preseason its limited to directional changes I do believe (lolb to rolb etc)

Coaches do bring value to the table. They effect scoutinf points and position discounts, how many GP points you get and other stuff.

I completely agree on the scouting tho. I believe there was only about 20 people I didnt fully scout during user season. However, my concern is people could hoard draft picks for user seasons since it will be easier

12. HoundsOfHowl

HoundsOfHowl Feed Me More....Football

Lets just burn TSO to the ground [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

This is annoying, it's been like a month since I played a HaW game. A sim season can and should take less than a week. We already give way too much time for offseason and we are doubling it. Did were ally need 24 hours to get waivers submitted, 24 more to claim them and then 24 more to cut to 53. It's ridiculous that it takes us so long when we aren't even playing games.

I like the idea of simming seasons, but at this point it is so convoluted and poorly executed and the schedule has changed so many times I say fuck it, let's play our games. I can deal with being winless through 4 weeks and having my starting QB out for a few weeks, let's get back to playing madden please

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. HoundsOfHowl

HoundsOfHowl Feed Me More....Football

I agree 100%. I love the idea of sim seasons, but we've got to fix the downtime for non-playoff teams. Because you're talking 4-6 weeks between playoffs and sim season steps before we get to week 1 of next season. Really takes a toll on "playing time"

Wyrmreaver thought I had hit reply, guess it didn't do it

15. hskr8128

hskr8128 Walk On

Featured Threads:
    All you have to is look at the results of the poll thus far to see why we have such a fun time making decisions in HAW :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. arlennnn

arlennnn Walk On

The length of sim seasons and downtime ine general has been a problem since the league started. I don't want to change the GM aspect of this league but am all for changing things up so that we have as many people playing games as is possible. Whether that means going with 1 week sim seasons, drafting tommorow, or whatever I am for it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

It shouldn't be democracy. And it really isn't, but all the discussion makes it feel like it kind of is which actually makes it more frustrating in the end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

The sim season has always taken awhile - especially the 2nd season which in all my years of playing is always complicated due to the holidays being right smack dab in the middle of season 2 in some shape or form. Keep that in mind when you're criticizing management for things dragging on an on.

That said, the people that want to move things along faster can go kick rocks. You are in other leagues, you can play other games. I'm aware that the down time is awhile, it is for a reason or many reasons really. So just sit down, stfu, and enjoy the ride - and that is aimed at no one in particular.

You cannot condense things down to just a couple days. There are important events along the way that need adequate pause to make sure they are addressed by all 32 owners. "Well just do it all in one day." Yeah, then someone will miss ALL the offseason tasks instead of just missing a day of FA or the draft or coaching changes or position changes or whatever. There is a reason all of this needs to be planned out ahead and why we should try to stick to the schedule.

There is always bitching every single offseason. Whine whine whine whine whine. The world doesn't operate on your specific schedule. Coordinating 32 people to do ANYTHING is pretty much impossible - leadership is doing the best they can.

Let the issue rest people.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. SwagKingCole23

SwagKingCole23 Walk On

I don't get what the problem is if we simmed this season and played the rest. The only thing I see benefiting a sim season is I get to offseason faster and upgrade my players quicker. I would much rather just play a season every single time then sim every other.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Hordan54

Hordan54 Walk On

You can change positions any time in the offseason

21. SwagKingCole23

SwagKingCole23 Walk On

But why SIM? We can do that if we played every season

22. Hordan54

Hordan54 Walk On

I think we should do a straight sim from from preseason to the Superbowl.

We could shorten the season to 1 week running something along the lines of coach's second proposed schedule. Maybe go from FA #1 straight to FA #3 to save a day.

I also like that it will avoid the problem with injured players not getting put back in as starters.

There is still the availability to resign players after the Superbowl (signing them week 6 is no better than in the off season).

Regarding scouting, we can live with only having maybe a thousand points compared to the usual 4k or so, or we get 8-10 guys to fill out a Google doc and post it for the league.

I know 24hr advances area tough sell, but it is offseason tasks that can usually be taken care of in 20-30min.

**Disclaimer: I do not know about the coach firing/hiring issues in the playoffs. I would think that would be in the offseason.

23. Freakskull

Freakskull Lobsters are mermaids to scorpions.

I appreciate everyone who put their thoughts in type. I finally accept this is a "unwinnable" challenge. I really thought I could find a way that made sense from every point of view. It is a true Kobayashi Maru. The only thing I have left is "keep it fair, keep it fun."

We cannot get all 32 owners on the box all at the same time. If we could, we could perform multiple advances in a short window. Since we can not, that means a minimum 24 hour advance, otherwise its not fair. The way Madden is managed, there are too many times we have to stop for team management. Every stop on the calendar was a necessary one. Ergo, a loooong pause between having fun. Choose - unfair or un-fun?

The course of action we will take is this: Start playing the games as of now. No more sim this year. That is the only way to keep it fair, and gets everyone back to playing (which is fun, I hope.) H@W was created with the sim season as a positive trait. When the Madden cycle allows us to run a fun, fair and concise sim season, I expect to return to it. Best of luck for this season, check the calendar for the new schedule.

v/r,

8E

• Like Like x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. SwagKingCole23

SwagKingCole23 Walk On

Love the choice!

• Like Like x 1
  25. arlennnn

arlennnn Walk On

So just to be clear within 3 hours one of the backbone aspects of the league was ditched based on a vote than only 22 users partook in? Kinda incredible really

• Agree Agree x 6