State of the Conference Address

Discussion in 'The Dirty Dozen' started by JQwon13, Feb 9, 2011.

1. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Well, due to my boredom at work and the lack of posting we've had the last couple days, I figured I'd get a new discussion started. Your opinions are all welcome as well, but my opinions are the only ones that are correct. Here is my take on the conference as a whole as well as each individual team. In order to keep my journalistic integrity, I had Nik write the summary for my team.

[​IMG]

H4Y: By far the best dynasty on TF. It's interesting collection and combination of characters leads to an always entertaining message board and user games. The amount of active players and the fact that the entire dynasty is in one conference makes each season that much more entertaining. It moves at a very quick pace despite all the user games, but for the most part is accomodating to people's schedules. One of the few knocks on the dynasty has to be the dominance of certain players that as the years wear on may kill the competitiveness of the dynasty.

Now for a look at each individual team. We will go by division and of course start with the far superior division.

East:

[​IMG]Mid Tenn St.- The revolving door at MTSU has been an eye sore on the conference as a whole and really needs a user to fully devote himself to the program. MTSU is well below average in terms of talent and is not a program that can be fixed in just a couple of seasons. However, CoachRedd has come in and already picked up a big win over UL Lafayette, who is no joke of a program. If Redd can build off that and bring in some strong juco players to help get over the hump, MTSU may become a formidable team in 3 years.

[​IMG]Eastern Michigan- Well what can you say about the cellar dwellars? They've been on the rise since the beginning of the dynasty, but that rise has been a very slow one. This team began those first two seasons as an embarrassment but has worked its way up and has won a few conference games in the past two seasons. This season the Eagles look to be the toughest they've been. Crumb's main weakness has been his non-conf play. If he can pick up those wins vs the cpu, he has the skills to knock off a couple of users and earn that bowl game. The grit and determination he has showed to stay dedicated to this program is already very impressive.

[​IMG]Army- What the hell happened here? I still feel like Hammerhead is having someone else play his games. Or maybe Barry Brunetti just inspired him to unspeakable levels. For the first few years, I yawned at the thought of playing Army. They had little talent and sub-par coaching. Then in just one season, they did a complete 180. They took down not only a conference championship, but also a national championship! Now the Black Knights are a contender each and every season and seem to perpetually dishearten The Qwon with a late field goal.

[​IMG]Western Kentucky- Another great turnaround program. When DirtyCash started with this team, they were further in the toilet than even all the other crappy teams in this dynasty. His early teams were so susceptible to the run, that he had no chance of winning many games. Now the Hilltoppers are strong every season, but just can't get over the hump. They have failed to be competitive against Western Michigan and continually battle with Army and Kent State for 2nd in the division. This is one of the most disciplined teams in the conference. DCD does one of the best jobs of ball control as you rarely see the Hilltoppers turn it over.

[​IMG]Western Michigan- What do you say about the Goliath of the conference? The Broncos have dominated almost every year. Their offense has turned opposing defesnes into Swiss cheese. They have lost only 3 games within the division. They lost the first year to the very strong MTSU coach that would later resign. Then their only other two losses came in the same season to an Army squad that would win the national championship and to a very strong Kent State squad, which they lost by two scores ;). But outside of that, WMU has been an unstoppable juggernaut.They've taken down conference title after conference title and are really starting to distance themselves in terms of recruiting as they must be paying their recruits some serious Cheddar. Even playing them closely should be considered a badge of honor at this point. They continue to melt away the rest of the conference like Velveeta...

[​IMG]Kent St- The Kent State program is basically a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; the only key is to stop making costly mistakes. They find ways to consistently loose close games and finish in the middle of the pack when a mere 10-20 points separates them from an undefeated season and a conference championship. The question will always be if Coach Qwon can lead them over the hump and limit his mistakes and find ways to win the close ones or if he will continue his string at mediocrity. He was on the right track this season after narrowly escaping with a win against Utah State but turned the ball over 4 times and lost by only 10 points. As long as Coach Qwon can continually avoid probation with his embroiled program Kent State will always have next year.

West:

[​IMG]UAB- Right now, the Blazers are just sitting with a pool of talent ready to strike. UAB has consistently had one of the most talented teams in the conference but poor coaching has led to limited success. Now with a new coach, JKyle, behind the wheel, maybe the Blazers will find their stride. Thus far they have remained a lower tier team in the West, but could be poised to break out. Recchem instilled character in his players as he taught them to never run up the score, especially to 70. But sometimes, you just have to let the animal out of its' cage and let the players play.

[​IMG]Arkansas State- Most likely Arkansas State is the program on the biggest decline. They started off strong in the first couple of seasons pounding the rock and forcing teams to step up and stop the run. But after a 10-win season and early success, the Indians have gone downhill. Teams around the league have improved defensively and his running attack has gone stale. His abilities of in-game coaching have also been seriously hampered by his ability to recruit. The level of talent on his team has not seen near the rise that the rest of the conference has. If they can start getting better talent, the Indians could return to what they were. Otherwise they will continue to fall.

[​IMG]UL Lafayette- There has been no more up and down player in the dynasty than Snoopy. One year, he's on top of his game winning 10 or 11 games and making a run at the conference title. The next, he's finishing with a losing record and getting hammered by teams around the conference. Perhaps it's due to his team being full of transfers. Perhaps they are lacking that team unity and chemistry that teams develop after years of playing together. They are a team of mercenaries with no real loyalty. However, they now have such a load of talent that they will be tough to ignore. The Ragin Cajuns are absolutely stacked on offense and could make this season one to further build upon.

[​IMG]UL Monroe- The Warhawks have been a very consistent team throughout the life of this conference. They have done so by concentrating on a running game and attempting to actually play defense. The Warhawks have been consistently a 6-6 or 7-5 type of squad. THeyare going to beat the lower tier teams in the conference, but aren't the type to pull an upset over a top squad. The Warhawks are a model of consistency, but need to get more aggressive in the big games and look for that upset.

[​IMG]Utah State- Since the dynasty began, the Aggies have been a contender in the West every year. Defenses have struggled to stop Steamer's passing attack as he loves to stretch the field. He has done a nice job of molding his offense to his players as he will run the ball when he has a running back that he feels can get the job done. Not exactly a rookie to this league, Steamer has deeper insight into some of the teams as he has old rivalries with some of the users. After back-to-back thrilling finishes against Kent State, an old rivalry against The Qwon may be reborn. However, his main rivalry has been with Idaho as that has been his main competition each season for taking home the West crown. The last couple of season, the Aggies have been vandalized, but this season may be the year for Utah State.

[​IMG]Idaho- If Western Michigan is the pride of the East, then Idaho has become the pride of the West. The Vandals through way of accomplishing their team goals has pushed their prestige up and in the process really benefited in recruiting. Their offense is no secret as it's clear that the air raid is coming, the question is can your defense stop it. And in the last couple seasons, if your team isn't WMU, then the answer is no. Idaho has become a perennial power in the conference as the East is literally a 3 team race each year with Idaho and Utah State battling it out and ULaLa hoping for a shot. The team also delivers with an exciting blood feud in The Battle for the Golden Potato. The Ohidaho feud has become a nasty rivalry that provides entertainment for the whole conference.

• Like Like x 5
  2. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Good ish Qwon.

3. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Thanks. Hope yall enjoy the logo...It really helped express how much I love H4Y.

4. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

FAIL

5. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

The only fail here, is the horrid job you've done with Ark. St

6. Bl0ndeRedHead

7. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Oh, that's a bummer. It was a really funny photo. It shows up on mine, i don't know why its not showing up for you.

8. TheCrumbIsHere

TheCrumbIsHere Walk On

Very nice writeup. I am actually cautiously optimistic that my team might be ready next year for a minor breakout.

9. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

Best post ever.

10. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

it showed up on mine

11. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

12. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

I think Redd actually means that in a good way too...

13. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

shit... forgot the true meaning of that... take that as a good thumbs up...not a go fuck yourself thumbs up. I'll try to remember this in the future. Good shit Qwon

14. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Haha that logo is really getting me now. In all seriousness though this league has been the shit and taught me a lot about NCAA. When I came in my biggest struggle was the user games. I considered myself a decent player offline but could tell I wasn't up to par in user games and that showed in my first 2 seasons (4-8 and 1-11). After those seasons I stepped back and spent the time finding a playbook I really liked that fit well with my team. I made a commitment to running the ball also instead of airing it out from the get go and I've become a much better player for it. This has been a super fun league and I want to thank all you douche bags for making it that way.

15. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

Haha...rookie (FNG) mistake. This was merely the result of horrible weather today in Dallas so our clients didn't make it to the office, but i was in...

16. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

Yea it's a pretty big adjustment going from strictly having played the CPU to playing users who react in a completely different manner than the CPU.

17. Bl0ndeRedHead

Oh and btw, compared your Story Time threads, this gets a:

[​IMG]

stick to stuff we care about, like our teams, not your miserably douchey life stories

18. JQwon13

JQwon13 Walk On

No wonder Katy Perry wouldn't sleep with you... :thumbsup: