State of the League Address

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by MartyWebb, Aug 11, 2012.

1. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

PLEASE READ, and at least respond to acknowledge you've read this.

wahoogamer
    CTgotDaGameLokD
    Jolts57 - Yes
    MS8403 - Yes
    Fmode11
    TheGreatCV - Yes
    asurob - Yes
    GDip - Yes

Hey fellas, your commissioner, MartyWebb here. So here is our situation. We are currently, with myself added, at 9 Coaches in the league. The good news? That it's 9 of the original members.

That being said, I know a few of you(hopefully all) are in this for the long haul, or for most of the cycle for this video game at least. The trending reason for people leaving, thus far, has been time restraints(due to the amount of user games) and lack of interest in their team(the build 'em up style.) Is this something that can be addressed?

While it would likely be frowned upon by Tradition Sports Online, I don't want you guys' experience here, especially it being a first one, be poor. The old hum-drum Against the Grain, that I never really got into, thus, never grew to love TSO(as I do now.) I've been in a league like that, it was two years ago for NCAA 12, and I couldn't have liked it any less, despite having a good season with my team. What I suggest, if everyone is on board, is a reset, or a restart. The slider set is non-negotiable, as it increases the chance that we won't easily breeze through the season undefeated. As for conferences, or teams, I'm leaning towards the option to either go with THREE Conferences, and/or any team you'd like to choose from. Those three conferences being any that we select. Could be Big XII/B1G/ACC or CUSA/PAC12/SEC. Doesn't matter, but before we tease that route, I need compliance from you guys.

Would you like a restart, to choose a team you support, like or would just like to run with in an online dynasty? Please respond with a yes, or no, and anything else you'd like to add.

I'd also recommend, it being our first season if we restart, the content to pickup. CPU game reports, User game(winner posting it) recaps, and recruiting spreadsheet updates. That's a simple request, and as you can see from browsing through the Game Summaries forum, it can be done quickly. Team Previews(I know they're kind of a beating) would also be required, and the obvious playbook declarations.

Thank you for your time thus far,
    Marty Webb

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  2. GDip

GDip Walk On

I'd vote yes. First, so that we could re-align the teams to have a good balance of user teams and cpu teams in whatever conference we select. It would suck to be the only user in a division, so obviously, I'd like to avoid that.

My vote would be to stick with 2 conferences. Don't really care which ones, but I've been doing these "build 'em up" style dynasty's and might like an opportunity to play with some of the bigger teams, but really can go any way. And if everyone wants to do 3 conferences, I won't argue.

Last thing, I would like to try and finish out this season we've already started, just so i don't feel like this was wasted time. Maybe we can implement a faster advance rate for the rest of this season, such as 36 or 48 hours.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

I like two conferences better than three personally, but I really don't care too much either way. If people want to restart I'm alright with that. While I do enjoy build-em-up style dynasties, I prefer doing that offline since you can do it much faster. Is this really just Marty realizing he made a mistake picking a D- team and trying to let us choose for him to back out of it? jkjk

4. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Haha I knew someone would say it :p That isn't the case at all, next season I know I'd have a much better one, but I think across the board, people without those connections to their school(even just a little bit) don't take too much interest in them.

5. MS8403

MS8403 Walk On

I'm all for the change if people would be more interested. I feel like like I've put a lot of effort into this ECU team so far though, especially on the recruiting side. I'm starting to get the feel of my team and was beginning to excited where things were headed. But, it would be more disappointing to keep playing while people continued to drop off.

If we restart, I would prefer if everyone could choose their favorite team (to keep the interest for the long haul), but I'm not sure how plausible that is because everyone would likely be spread across multiple conferences.

6. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

I tend to get too serious when using my team so I don't like taking them in OD. Gimme a recruiting powerhouse :)

7. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

For the sake of it, I'm putting MS and Jolts down for yes.

8. GDip

GDip Walk On

another idea... we could do our restart and still finish the dynasty at the same time, we don't have to wait for one to stop for the next to start

9. MS8403

MS8403 Walk On

If we restart, I think we should do it immediately. I don't see any reason to finish the season out as my interest won't be fully there knowing I'll be with a different team.

10. TheGreatCV

TheGreatCV Walk On

FYI this is my first go at it with the OD with NCAA. I like this build it up style. I've got a local dynasty going on right now with my roommate and we picked two power house teams, and I am honestly bored when i have to recruit. With this leage, I actually get excited when I get a commitment from someone who is higher than a 65 lol.

As for a restart. I guess I'm cool with that, and I agree with MS8403, if we restart lets do it immediately. I hate to waste my 7-0 season with FIU, but if its going to help this league stay alive, than lets do it. I think we should also keep it at two conferences so that we can get more user v user games.

11. GDip

GDip Walk On

well, sounds like we should start talking about conferences, lol and I'm definitely down for a build up dynasty.

12. MS8403

MS8403 Walk On

Well, we definitely can't scrap a rebuild dynasty for another, lol.

13. asurob

asurob Walk On

hmmm... dissappointing I was enjoying nevada. Here is a dumb rob question. If we restart can it be a coach's mode only dynasty? That is ....we call the plays and the game plays it out. While I have played decently in this league...I really dont enjoy controlling the players that much and far and away prefer coaches only mode. Besides...I cant think of a single other league that is coaches mode only so perhaps you can attract some other players like me....who prefer to concentrate on recruiting and out thinking my opponents as opposed to be forced to out do them mashing buttons.

14. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

No thanksssss lol

I was thinkin about the conference thing and I guess if we're going to have 4+ user games regardless might as well go 3 conferences so there's more variety for team choice.

15. GDip

GDip Walk On

as long as the user games don't get comprimised, you're right, 3 would be better

16. asurob

asurob Walk On

Why would 3 be better? I guess I dont get that. I thought the point was playing against other players. If that is the point...then frankly, one conference would be better...user games every week (except OOC).

Just sayin.

17. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

It's going to be 4ish user games regardless of how many conferences we do.

18. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Whether it's 2, or 3 conferences, there will still be a good amount of user games, I can assure you. I'm going to go with three conferences here, as I think, besides the more choices of teams, it will keep us all focused on the national landscape.

Still need to hear from wahoogamer CTgotDaGameLokD and Fmode11

19. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Also, remember, if we do a style similar to what we have now, with three conferences, these are our choices :

Personally, if we were to go with bigger conferences, I think everyone could get a team they liked. IE: GreatCV with UCF in the Big East. If we stick to the smaller schools, which I'd be absolutely okay with, then I'd probably suggest the setup we have now, + the MAC despite it not receiving any votes when we did this the first time. There are a lot of fun schools in that conference.

20. TheGreatCV

TheGreatCV Walk On

If we are going to go with a similar set up, as far as conferences with CUSA, MW, and just add a MAC we should just finish out this season and allow those who want to switch teams to switch and also recruit other users to fill in the holes (MAC) at the end of year one. It would seem like those of us who stayed would have wasted time of we re start with the same set up.

How about picking stronger conferences but not picking the traditional powerhouses. Example, ACC u can't pick FSU,VT, or Miami. (or let jolts take the canes lol). U could chose to control UNC, Duke, BC etc. If its the SEC u can't pick bama, LSU, or UF but u could select Vandy, UK, of Mizzou. Idk just throwing it out there. And yeah I would love to be UCF so let's have big east teams lol.

21. MS8403

MS8403 Walk On

Honestly, I see no reason in restarting if we are going to stick with smaller schools. I actually like my ECU team and wouldn't want to restart with another smaller school. I'd be fine with opening up the MAC and letting people pick another school if they wanted. Also, I thought people were losing interest because they didn't like the idea of building up a school?

In my opinion, we should either stick with the dynasty we have going now, but allow people to transfer to different schools if they like or we all go BCS Powerhouse schools and go to battle in recruiting and on the field.

22. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

no, i put in time and effort in recruiting, would like to see my picks on the field next year. We all knew what teams were getting and the caliber. Truthfully, I pretty much suck, so undefeated even with USC would never happen especially playing on Heismnan and the CPU Beastmode's.

With that said, that would be my preference, and I'm just throwing my 2 cents in. Worse case, I could save the dynasty offline and just run another season on my own. I'm cool with a restart/re-pick if that's what ATG goes with, which it looks like mostly everyone wants. I will still stay in the league regardless.

23. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

I like the idea of opening up another conference, and continuing on for those who want to see this dynasty through with their respective teams. Is the MAC the right choice here? My thoughts were more teams, more choices, but a lot of us voted for the Sun Belt before making our decisions. If we open the Sun Belt, then we only have one conference(CUSA) that has a conference championship game. I'd likely make the jump to the Sun Belt, and CUSA/MWC would be full, allowing all new members to take the Sun Belt teams. That'll put us at 4 each conference.

CT, you said no, then you said you're cool with a restart. I have the feeling you'd rather see LaTech through, with the people you'll add next season. So I'm going to take your vote as a no, and if that's okay, then we won't do a restart because I would want everyone to really be behind this thing. I think MS and you are in the same boat as well.

24. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

CT votes no, but will go with the group if change is the majority rule

25. GDip

GDip Walk On

one of the most important things to me is that there's the same number of users in each conference and division. With CT being all by himself in his division, I would like to see us add more users there, but looking at those teams, they aren't very attractive and I don't see anyone grabbing those teams when we're already 1 season into it. jmo

I also like the idea of taking smaller schools in the biggest conferences. makes for good CPU and user games