State of the League

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

State of the League

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd drop a quick message to see how things are going. The new release is a short time away, yet we still seem to be keeping things going pretty well.

As for my schedule, things are pretty busy, as you can probably tell by the lack of weekly articles and such. I'm going to try to start doing a once-every-Sunday recap thing, so we have stuff to read at advance time. I think I can keep up with this.

We're kind of in the home stretch here, so I thought I'd see if anyone had anything they'd like to suggest about game play, league setup, sliders, rules, etc. We all seem to be keeping up with things pretty nicely, so I thought I'd see if I could get a discussion going so we could start the tweaking process for next year.

Any thoughts?

AG

2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

For '10, I think that the speed gap will be closed, so we can probably get those rules outta here. I like our recruiting breakdown, but with the competitive recruiting we should maybe start with more base 5* guys. Aside from that, it seems that EA took care of our biggest concerns. Time will tell, but they seem actually interested in this kind of community for the first time -- ever.

3. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

I think all is pretty good. I do hope the speed thing works itself out so all the different restrictions in recruiting and KR/PR are not necessary. I also would urge everyone to look at how you play vs. the CPU when it is just you and the TV in the room and ask yourself if that is sim. I feel bad for some of you guys sometimes because I hear complaining about the sliders, etc., and you not being able to have competitive games vs. the CPU, when that is all that I seem to be able to have and I love every stressed out minute of it. I have never had this much fun playing vs. the CPU in my life and I think it is because the Heisman level and these sliders finally match up with the conservative approach I have always taken. I think if you play somewhat conservatively, running the ball up the middle quite a bit, using the FB occasionally, using some of the play clock and attempting to put 10 - 15 play drives together, you can't help but have a little lower scoring offense and more competitive games. I don't expect anyone to want to take chances of losing to the CPU but maybe doing what Basis suggested of self imposed restrictions on certain plays may help make things more realistic and CPU games more fun.

4. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

One more thought. Since they fixed the ability to talk players into staying, I think we should maybe put a rule in place that you can't talk anyone over 90-overall into staying, with the exception being SO(RS) guys, who I think should always be allowed to be talked into staying. Only reason I am saying this is because when you have a 92 overall junior safety that has 95 tackles, 8 picks, 2 TDs, etc etc., there is no chance he is staying usually. The game doesn't always make them wanna go pro, so if they want to, I think they should.

5. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Well, after all the discussion that's gone on about rules and whatnot, I would actually be in favour of dropping the speed restrictions on recruits.

I love the star restrictions, but in the name of simplification I think the speed limits over-complicate things.

I can't believe I just wrote that.

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I have a 3 star kid from Ohio with A+ speed & A+ acceleration waiting for an offer. Go ahead, loosen the restrictions. :D

7. Razcalking1978

Hey, you're the big cheese - you say so, and it's gone. I'll back ya.

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Nah. I like the restrictions, but they do limit things. I told myself I wouldn't take any juco guys, and so many of the HB's interested in me are juco guys. That and the speed thing makes it tough. Not a very good HB class this year.

9. Razcalking1978

Heh, fair enough. But like I said, I'd be in favor of dropping them - I think our star restrictions are enough. Especially since they're reducing the speed difference in 2010.

10. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Drop the speed restrictions in 2010. Keep them going in 09. Too many people bitch when someone lands a top speed guy that it just isn't worth it, since there are always questions about how they play the game.

11. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

If you are going to change it, we obviously need to wait until next season. Also maybe just loosen it up: 5 stars can be A+, after that it doesn't matter what speed. This will actually negatively affect me since I am low on speed and talent.

12. Juggernautblitz

In case people aren't reading the other thread, I will repeat myself about users taking teams or wanting to take teams in both leagues. Wasn't one of the big points of this whole change to have 1 user - 1 team so there was more on the line and everyone would put more into their 1 team? I think we should keep it that way as much as possible.

13. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I posted over in the other thread too but I gave up West Virginia to take UCLA. I discussed it with Archie and Raz and they did not have an issue with me switching. I dont have 2 teams, just UCLA now. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

14. Juggernautblitz

There seems to be a 2 thread, us posting at the same time confusion situation. Got it now.

15. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Yeah I noticed that too.

16. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

once thing for 2010 is i will be much more excited so i will defintly put much more effort into writeups and what not, 09 is windin down and i cant wait for 10. All these updates sounds like its gunna be great

17. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think it's pretty likely we'll loosen some of the speed restrictions, since EA seems to be trying to solve that one for us. We'll want to be careful with recruiting though, I think, as EA is always weak in that area in all it's college games. Hoops is the worst, but I think 2010 football will still allow bloated recruiting classes and such, and if we're not right on top of it right away, we could dilute things again. I'm seeing more freedom at the beginning, but a real effort towards balance much earlier than what we had before. I think year one will be a pretty fluid season, with changes being discussed almost weekly, and changes being implemented as we go.

I think the learning curve for the new game will help keep things sim at the start, but as we get better, we'll adjust, just like we have all along.

Also, if anyone is considering a team change (and I know some are) get your thoughts out there now. We have an opening in the Big East, and if guys want to trade leagues or whatever, now is the time to talk it over.

AG

18. Razcalking1978

That's all well and good, but we're still a good two months away. I'm starting to think that a fair amount of inactive people in the East will be gone before then.

19. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm kinda with Raz on this one. Tread water if you want, but we'll replace you as we see fit, or give your spots away and demote you to the Mid-Major league when the next game drops. Active guys in the East are complaining, and I don't blame them. The active guys are my people, and they're going to get what they want.

Not dropping names at this point, but the discussion about who we can do without is going on in the commish circles. I'm getting pretty tired of people not meeting such minimal standards. I think I'm going to do some recruiting.

AG

20. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I'm not a big fan of the pac 10. I'm not volunteering to move to the big east but if other positions open I would like to be one of the first in line to take over.

21. Razcalking1978

Heh - so anywhere but the Big East? Ouch.

22. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think an opportunity to move out of the Pac Ten might present itself. Another member might want want a Pac Ten team. We haven't discussed it yet, though, so don't count on anything.

As for the Big East, I like a number of their teams. I'd like to see Louisville get back to the offensive juggernaut it once was, and WVU is always good. The 'Cuse would be fun to bring back to greatness. The recent Rutgers teams have been fun to watch also. There are a lot of good challenges in the Big East.

I'm sure someone will want in.

23. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I wouldn't mind West Virginia but I think it will be better to just hold out now for something more intriguing.

24. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    You'd give up Jhavad Best?

25. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Id be willing to move to the pac 10 cole. I am currently north carolina, id be willing to take cal or any other pac-10 team. Nothing wrong with north carolina i just like playing out west for some reason, ive started alot of offliners with west coast teams, its fun to compete. But either way is good, just throwin it out thier if you or anyone else is interested