State of the Mid-Majors (All Read)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by JHeb, Nov 14, 2009.

1. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

State of the Mid-Majors (All Read)

All,

Since most of the current members of the OFFL Mid-Majors are fairly new to the dynasty, I'll be the one to tell you that this dynasty has gone from a pretty good, active league to one that is on it's last legs. The core of the dynasty that was doing well, doing summaries, playing games, getting things done, etc. is now gone for one reason or another.

At this point I'm all but sure this dynasty is finishing it's last season as we speak. To be quite honest, I've pretty much decided to move on from this dynasty.

We have two options from what I can tell...They are:

A) Retire the dynasty and the OFFL Mid Majors will no longer exist.

B) Someone else takes over as Commish of the dynasty so the OFFL Mid Majors can continue on.

I guess what I'm looking for here is this: If you'd like to take over this dynasty as the Commish, post here and we can arrange it. If you vote to retire the dynasty, also post that here.

If anyone has any other thoughts, please post them...

Thanks...

JHeb

2. MaxAttack360

MaxAttack360 Walk On

I know I've said it before and I'm not really trying to make an excuse, but I've just been busy late Oct thru early Nov with stuff that I couldn't keep up with my summaries, but I didn't want to skip any either. I'm sure most other people who weren't updating regularly were busy as well, and didn't simply not want to do them. I was actually about to update mine... but I guess I should wait.

I vote to keep the dynasty going. I don't really want to lose my team, which I really like, because they're just starting to get good from recruiting. Also, there were a lot of people leaving and joining this season, so hopefully we'll be stable from now on. I think it could become more active too. At the end of last season we weren't too active, then the offseason came and there were more posts then ever. However, I'm not so sure I'd like to take over as commissioner, mainly because I have never been a commish before, but I'd do it if nobody else wanted to.

3. Masler

Masler Moderator

I enjoy being in this dynasty even thought I have a horrible team. It challenges me. I feel I'm on the brink of making UTEP a great team. But if we don't have enough interest to keep this thing going, then so be it. Unfortunately as I am commissioner of another dynasty I cannot take up the mantle. So if we can't keep this going, I just want to say thanks to JHeb. He got my foot in the door here at TF, this was the first dynasty I joined. So thanks man for the good times. Hate to see this one end.

4. Dj391

Dj391 Walk On

I for one would not want to see this dynasty go as i have a pretty good team and ive enjoyed this dynasty up to this point, the problem for me is posting summeries on cpu games idk its just redundant to post i beat the cpu cause i can do that any day, i think more user games would help get this dynasty kicking again because the conferences are so devided, i would say if no one else objects as no one did in the offseason to playing anybody that we make all out of conference games user to make it both more interesting and fun and hey who knows may build a few more rivalrys i know i could use some excitement after playing 1 user game and going damn near undefeated playing mostly cpu, this change could give this dynasty the type of excitement it really needs instead of seeing boise in the national championship every year lol LETS KEEP THIS GOING

5. MaxAttack360

MaxAttack360 Walk On

I might as well post this here...

I'm gonna be gone until Monday night or Tuesday, so hopefully the Mid-Majors is still here when I get back! Pretty sure we're done with recruiting for now so it shouldn't be too much of a problem for me.

6. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

To be honest, I'm at the point with NCAA 10 that I only want to do good summaries for my E League team (Oklahoma) which is the team I'm fanatical about in real life...I've got an awesome blog for them (link in my sig) but doing much of anything for USM doesn't excite me anymore.

On that same topic, seeing other guys do summaries is cool and was really cool to start, esp. the guys that used Avid to keep stats, etc. but now I really could care less (not to be offensive to anyone). It really wouldn't bother me if we didn't do summaries since I assume most of us use this as a secondary dynasty to play in when we're done with our "main" dynasty, kind of like I'm doing.

Here's my next concern. As is the norm for me, I'll be getting Madden 10 in the coming week or two and will most likely want to join a Madden league. If I do that, and I likely will, that will most likely put the Mid Majors as my 3rd option.

I've also considered a change of teams...I originally thought I'd really like to use USM but I kind of don't. I don't really have a team in mind but it's a thought. If that was done then others in the dynasty would be allowed to move if they'd like.

In the end, I'm probably willing to keep this thing alive but it probably needs to be shaken up...I'm open to ideas.

Do you have thoughts on what might work?

--More user games as DJ said?
    --Open it up to ALL non-BCS conferences? (MWC, WAC, CUSA, MAC, Sunbelt, Independents minus Notre Dame)
    --Open up "bottom dwellar" BCS schools? (Duke, Vandy, Wake, Baylor, Syracuse, Temple, Indiana, Northwestern, Iowa St., etc.)

I kind of like the idea of moving some users to the bottom teams of the BCS schools...Maybe that makes them have a harder schedule overall, maybe more losses, etc.

Thoughts?

7. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

JHEB,

Let me ask you this. As a fellow "E" league rep and OFFL West,I have a suggestion I have seen work in the past. Several league's that struggled went to a Solid Confrence structure. Meaning, we maybe think about selecting one confrence to play out of so we have more user games? I have a feeling that more useer games could also hurt. How many user games did you sim this year because someone missed the boat or was to busy? Im seeing 3-4 games in other leagues.

Its the Holidays and people will be in and out of town the next few weeks which could pose a problem. I for one would like the Mid-Majors to carry on but with new idea's like a soild confrence or even 2 only. Maybe start out as a building Coach where everyone selects * or ** star schools and does actual three years with there school before being able to leave for bigger schools? Just an idea.

KEEP THE LEAGUE AROUND THOUGH

8. MaxAttack360

MaxAttack360 Walk On

I don't really want to do anything that requires me to switch teams. I think if all non-conference games were user-user (if that's even possible) then it would cover the lack of user games. I'm for opening it up to other conferences as long as it doesn't make us even more spread out.

9. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I don't think I'd REQUIRE anyone to change teams, it's just an idea...If you really like Fresno St. that's great, that just means you're more likely to stick around (not that I'm worried about that since you've been "with" me since before we came to TF).

I'm not opposed to JMillhimes ideas...I think if we did the "progression" thing we might need to allow guys to move sooner b/c the chances of us getting in three or more seasons is kind of small. Ya know?

I like the fact that several of us have chimed in and all are basically opposed to the dynasty being stopped. I'm encouraged by that.

At this point, I'll keep the dynasty going...One change we'll make is MORE user games. This past season I tried my best to make it as even as possible and by that I mean I tried to make everyone equal when it came to home/away games, strength of schedule, # of user games, # of games vs. top ranked teams, etc. This year I'll do my best to schedule as many user games as we can. As JMill mentioned, more user games may mean it takes longer to advance but since most of use are in other OD's, I'm sure that won't be too major of an issue. Maybe a slower pace will allow some of us, hopefully ALL of us, to put in more effort on the forums, etc. Our team pages as well.

If we'll ALL try and be creative by posting new threads about games, questions, comments, etc. it'd really help. We need more participation overall on the forums...We lost Dru50 (Houston) b/c of the lack of activity and the perceived lack of team interest we have or show.

Okay, I'm feeling better about this...Let's keep the ideas coming and let's voice what we'd like to see happen then once we get to a good point in the offseason we can implement any changes we see fit.

What is YOUR opinion?

10. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I don't think I'd REQUIRE anyone to change teams, it's just an idea...If you really like Fresno St. that's great, that just means you're more likely to stick around (not that I'm worried about that since you've been "with" me since before we came to TF).

I'm not opposed to JMillhimes ideas...I think if we did the "progression" thing we might need to allow guys to move sooner b/c the chances of us getting in three or more seasons is kind of small. Ya know?

I like the fact that several of us have chimed in and all are basically opposed to the dynasty being stopped. I'm encouraged by that.

At this point, I'll keep the dynasty going...One change we'll make is MORE user games. This past season I tried my best to make it as even as possible and by that I mean I tried to make everyone equal when it came to home/away games, strength of schedule, # of user games, # of games vs. top ranked teams, etc. This year I'll do my best to schedule as many user games as we can. As JMill mentioned, more user games may mean it takes longer to advance but since most of use are in other OD's, I'm sure that won't be too major of an issue. Maybe a slower pace will allow some of us, hopefully ALL of us, to put in more effort on the forums, etc. Our team pages as well.

If we'll ALL try and be creative by posting new threads about games, questions, comments, etc. it'd really help. We need more participation overall on the forums...We lost Dru50 (Houston) b/c of the lack of activity and the perceived lack of team interest we have or show.

Okay, I'm feeling better about this...Let's keep the ideas coming and let's voice what we'd like to see happen then once we get to a good point in the offseason we can implement any changes we see fit.

What is YOUR opinion?

11. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Since there are alot of new users in the league...Open it up to see who would be willing to change schools. I would and I think you would to JHEB. Hawaii is fun to play with but very one dimentional. Im thinking maybe the MAC, WAC, or Sunbelt. maybe pick 1 or 2 and stay with them only. I know MAX likes Fresno State but if everyone found a MAC team to play with, it would be real fun.

We have a number of openings and I think there are alot of people out there who could fill them. With who we have left, we need to narrow down our confrence selections to maybe 2

12. Masler

Masler Moderator

All of these are good ideas. Def keep MM around.

13. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I don't really want to force anyone out of their current conference but the only way to get more user games and keep all of us "closer" would be to have us all in 1 or 2 conferences.

Being in 1 or 2 conferences would seem to have us battling more for recruits as well as the games we'd play...Our current set up is this:

Southern Miss--Conference USA (East)--JHeb
    UTEP--Conference USA (West)--MaslerBoros
    Marshall--Conference USA (East)--Centurum Dave
    Boise St.--WAC--HovatheGodMC
    Fresno St.--WAC--MaxAttack
    Hawaii--WAC--JMillhimes
    New Mexico--MWC--NatiSaint
    TCU--MWC--DJ391
    BYU--MWC--KnightnBattle

It figures, but we're as balanced as we can be so either way it'd be hard to drop one conference...

The easiest to drop would be Conference USA since I'm willing/wanting to move, C.Dave is brand new and hasn't really taken over his team yet due to being out of town...Not sure how strongly Masler feels about UTEP, but I don't want him to give his team up if he doesn't want to.

However, I do think if we dropped one it'd need to be the CUSA...It's a very spread out conference, with teams from the East Coast all the way to middle of Texas...That's half the country. If we kept the WAC and Mountain West, we'd all be on the West side of the country and I think we'd be fighting over the same recruits more often.

That's something else we need. We need smack being talked on the boards about recruits and we need to build up our knowledge on each other's teams. Unfortunately, Boise St., above all will be really hard to work against and teams like Utah, TCU & BYU will always do better in recruiting than the rest of the teams b/c they have some history of being pretty good teams.

14. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

I will be stepping down from Boise St after this year, i will finish out this season, i havent been putting the time in for summaries as i should be, It will also even things out since boise is clearly a better team than any in this dynasty. It was a fun 2 years

15. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Noted...Dang, that'll put us down to 8. Not sure what Nati's status is. He is without the game now and I'm not sure he's getting it or what...If he's gone then we're down to 7!

16. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

I think it would make sense to close out the WAC if any. Boise St is leaving and I want out of Hawaii. I may be open to another team in the WAC but no Hawaii.

As for team selections. No TCU, No Houston, No Boise St. Even if we lose someone from there team, we cant compete with a team like Idaho vs Houston.

I think we all pick teams in 2 confrences that are 1 or 2 * teams. Im like you JHEB, Im not happy with my team and also feel the league would be more competitive if we windle it to 2 confrences. I vote the MAC and Sunbelt due to the ratings of the teams. MAC is huge with alot more to choose from.

Thats just my opinion but we need everyone who is still on board to chime in on this so we can move quick and keep it rolling before others lose interest.

17. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Its whatever for me... Ill go with the flow

1 or 2 star teams sounds interesting, if we decide to switch over to the mac or sun belt will we start from scratch i.e. year 1?

18. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Nah, if we move over we'd move over in this same dynasty...I see no need to start fresh from the 2009 season. If I'm missing something, please let me know your reasoning.

I def. don't want to have the most powerful teams in but it's not fair to those who have a team like that now. Well, really we'd only have one left and that'd be TCU but he likes his team...Tough call.

I'll have to create a poll I guess to see what the "masses" think...

19. MaxAttack360

MaxAttack360 Walk On

I'd like to keep my team, but I'm fine if we decide to move to the MAC. Thinking of Ohio or Miami...

20. CaddilacRockBox

CaddilacRockBox 3 Star Recruit

It's been a while guys. Haha. I'm looking to get back into the OFFL. I've been talking with JHeb. I know from experience that moving to the MAC or SunBelt isn't going to increase any interest, IMO. Unless you are local to them, most people don't know anything about them. Maybe shorten it to just two conferences, like the WAC and MWC or the MWC and C-USA. I also like the idea of the cellar dwelling BCS conference teams. I'd love to use Duke, Kentucky, Syracuse, etc.

21. NatiSaint

NatiSaint Walk On

Ok First and Foremost - NatiSaint is back baby!!!! (Got the BanHammer but I retaliate with a vengeance!!!)

Second of all - I will gladly take over the commish of this league if you would like me to. This isn't my main dynasty but I would love to take it over.

Third of All - I think it would be good to mix it up a little bit... Add in a few other conference bottom dwellers.... let people mix and match conferences.

Fourth of all - I'll be mad if I went out and bought NCAA just to have my dynasties fizzle out....

22. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Im always one to build up a small confrence team like an Arkansas St or North Texas team.

However, it is not fair for everyone to pick bottom dwellers as Nati mentioned and someone else run with Houston or TCU. I think TCU is a power house and it would make things alittle unfair unless you give them some serious CPU competition with non-confrence games like throwing in a USC or Ohio St.

I do think a poll would be best. Why not poll everyone here and lets see who there favorite small school or bottom dwellers would be. Im one for picking a team like UL Monroe going 4-7 the first season and knowing Im building something. But, thats just me.

23. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Nati's back! Hey, if you want to Commish, that's fine by me...I think it'd probably be best.

24. Masler

Masler Moderator

I like UTEP but let's face facts, they suck major ass lol. I can't get any recruits because ALL pitches are C or below..so yea I say take out the CUSA..I'm willing to switch my team

Really liking to idea of bottom dweller teams tho, I used Syracuse on NCAA 09 and made it to the National Championship with them, in online dyasty too. And they were some of the toughest sliders I've played on. So anything is possible. So I vote for bottom dwellers. Maybe make a list of who we could use?

25. NatiSaint

NatiSaint Walk On

Yea - I will take over... I'd hate to say it but I think if we change the set up we should just restart with our new teams. Frankly, It's just my opinion.

I am going to suggest that we move to ACC/SEC (Cant think of any other championship bcs conferences).
    -That being said... we should only use bottom dwellers and even if we spread it over 3 conferences... I would still figure out a way to keep a solid amount of user games..

What do you guys think?