State of the Nippon League

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, Aug 8, 2013.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

I thought I would take a moment to explain the current situation with the Nippon League Draft as well as other issues that have arisen. I want to assure all of you who are in the NBL that you are not second class citizens. In fact, every member in the NBL if they stick with it long enough and contribute to the league in terms of discussions, team news or even league wide content, you will be recognized and promoted at the next available opportunity.

This is the largest league on the site, and due to the technology of an all sim PC league, the time restraints required are very high. That is why we have such a large leadership team. To assist with all duties which not only include sims themselves, but back end issues, filling vacancies, updating of reports, etc. I want you to know that your feedback is always welcome and we want to make sure that everyone is happy and satisfied and the league continues to grow.

With that said, the first issue I would like to address is the removal of your League Commissioner. There was a difference of opinion with Roggie and the rest of the leadership team. Unfortunately due to the draft issue, we could not see eye to eye and have decided to part ways. In the interim, either myself, Timpegoose, Bigsmooth33 or Ty5oke can be your contact moving forward. If you are interested in assisting with the NBL in a commissioner's role, please let me know and I will happy to promote the right person. This does not mean you will lose your responsibilities once promoted to "The Show." But with a league this large, someone needs to be able to be the ear of the 16 members in the NBL and follow the league more closely than others.

As for the draft issue itself. It was unfortunate that a few teams were unable to sign any or only some of their draft picks. First... a little background on the expansion of The Dugout. This was a major undertaking to expand and add a second league. This is the largest OOTP league in the entire OOTP community as far as I know. I personally tested expansion several times and simmed multiple seasons prior to going live with the league. I had a few issues with schedules (which is why you play 162 games), and some other things. The issue with the draft did not appear in testing as far as I saw.

At this time, the issue is potentially related to a change in the draft date from the 2021 to the 2022 season. It was quite confusing to conduct a draft while the MLB playoffs were going on which is what happened in 2021. The schedule was a bit of a mess, and to make things easier for the leadership team, as close of a mirrored schedule as possible was required. The draft unfortunately, had to be scheduled at a different time so as to not confuse statslab. Essentially two drafts occurred within one calendar year, which affects team with little or no projected budget room. This has not been 100% confirmed, but it seems to be the hypothesis.

Regardless... the only alternative to fix this was to manually edit budgets of the teams involved so they could sign these picks. This was something I refused to allow to happen. We rarely, if ever, edit anything within the engine itself to make things work. Especially when we have not 100% confirmed the problem. This has the potential to screw up future seasons or even the current one. Editing of anything in the game is a last resort. The last major edit to any settings (outside of conversion from '13 to '14) was changing our development and aging modifiers back in 2015 or something as we noticed players were losing their ratings much too quickly once they hit 34 or 35.

Unfortunately, for those teams involved, you will lose those picks this year. Thankfully, you will receive them for the 2022 year so you will essentially have two picks in each of those rounds to work with.

I apologize for this. Those of you affected have to understand, that we will be playing this game for years, and years to come. And this was just a small blip in the road. I am thankful that it was a minor issue such as this, and not a rollback for an entire calendar year. That was my biggest fear when year 1 was complete. As scheduling of playoffs was not occuring in the test file until I got the settings correct. I honestly thought we could possibly have to replay the 2021 season.

So I thank you for your understanding and I truly apologize for the issue. With a PC game, nothing is bound to work perfectly. Especially such a major change as adding a second complete league in our universe (with 2 additional teams!). I would say things could have been much worse.

• Like Like x 13
  2. | DedStaar |

| DedStaar | Walk On

Thanks for this post. Easier to see the big picture now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Well written Jesse. To piggyback off of that a bit, if you guys have ANY concerns please PM one of us. For the most part we're a pretty helpful group of people. We do want you Nippers to enjoy the game, but fully expect us to give you some shit too :)

• Like Like x 3
  4. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    I'd like to say here that I apologize, mainly to @PAgamer07, as things got quite heated between us in private and got personal a couple of times, for the way I've been acting the past few days. I've said some things out of emotion that shouldn't have been said and regret saying them.

I have come to agree with the decision of the removal of myself as commissioner. While I still feel that I am able to perform those duties, I understand that there is a very high chance that a rift would have developed between myself and Jesse when it came to decision making, which would have been a detriment to the league. The last thing needed for a league of this size is for members of the management team to have issues working together, and it's become quite clear that Jesse and myself have too similar of personalities, and clashing between us would happen often and become heated upon any disagreement.

For those in Nippon: If you have any questions about things in game, feel free to continue to ask me as before, but do not feel obligated to if you feel more comfortable with members of the commissioner team. If you have any issues with the league or the way something is going, either contact me to see if it's game related or league related, and if it's league related, I will direct you to the management team, or go straight to them.

• Like Like x 4
  5. PAgamer07

Thanks Roggie. Certainly hope there are no hard feelings. I totally understand your argument, and hope you understand my reasoning for not wanting to edit things to make them work. Let's just hope the issue is fixed for 2023!

• Like Like x 4
  6. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Agreed. It's in the past. No hard feelings from me, and I understand your reasoning for not wanting to edit things. Not enough testing on that to see how it would affect future seasons.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

This feels like an 80s sitcom ending. Much more entertaining when you hate each other...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  8. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Also, @PAgamer07, is there any way you can update the thread to show the current owners of teams? With all the Nippon turnover it's starting to get pretty far off.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Is this a good time to ask about expanding the NBL playoffs to 4 teams? Pretty please!

10. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    It can't be done until next offseason. But yes, we had talked about it some. Now seems like a decent time to start the discussion for it, if you ask me.

11. PAgamer07

Kinda embarassed to say this.. but what needs changed. Ive been a bit out of the loop lately.

12. PAgamer07

This was already approved and will happen in the offseason.

13. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Peench needs to be moved up, obviously. Bondzai took over Tohoku, HarkTheSound took over Seibu, | DedStaar | took over Yamato, and Wick36 took over Fukuoka, I think.

And I couldn't remember if changing the playoff system was official yet or not. Thanks for the confirmation.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Now that I'm moving up with George and Louise, I want you all to know you're definitely second class citizens to me.

On a serious note, glad to see this post. Nippon has a ton of potential to be a really fun league, but bridging that disconnect between Nippon and the rest of The Dugout is a necessity.

• Like Like x 4
  15. PAgamer07

Updated