Stats/Sacks Questions

Discussion in '4th Horseman' started by Abominatrix, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

Just so everyone knows where I'm coming from - I genuinely enjoy seeing players (on the field, not users) put up stats relative to their attribute levels. I love seeing highly rated WRs with the most catches, the most athletic players with most of the return TDs, and elite pass rushers (by attribute) with the most sacks. I've noticed that we have a few user-team players with a boatload of sacks - and pretty terrible pass rushing attributes (Power Moves, Finesse Moves). My first question to Wyrmreaver is this: Does the below rule apply only to D-linemen, or to any pass rusher?

Defensive Line PlayCoaches controlling defensive lineman must first engage an offensive lineman on any pass rush or running play. Use of the 'loop' technique is not permitted in any TF leagues (for those who are unaware, the 'Loop' refers to user controlling the DL or LB and attempting to run yards around the OL to get at the QB). In general, when controlling a defensive lineman, you should always engage an opposing lineman and use rush moves to get clear.

Obviously, I haven't seen the games where the sacks are gained, but just looking at a player's pass rushing skillset against their production makes me a little concerned. Talent level caveats apply, but the players in question all had a decent schedule. Now, I don't rush the passer on defense, so I'm not too sure how much more effective usering a pass rusher is. However, average players (on the field, not talking about the guys on the sticks) throwing up 15+ sacks a season seems a bit off to me. So, my questions to all of you:

1) Do you see the attribute/production parity as a problem? I'm not calling anyone out (because I haven't seen you play), and honestly, I'm giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, so I'll assume each sack was generated legitimately. I just personally think that only players with 90+ in at least one of power or finesse moves should even be sniffing 15+ sacks, let alone have 20+ sacks. Jarvis Jones led the nation last year with 14.5 in 14 games.

The flipside of the coin is that the user'd player will always play above their attributes (due to the user controlling them) - I could have a 70 OVR running back run for 1500 yards and 15 TDs if I wanted to.

2) If so, how do you think we can alleviate it? My first inclination is sliders, but that would all but eliminate sack production from the not-so-elite pass rushing teams (Cal included). My leading sacker is a DT at 4.5 through 13 games...and I spent about 80% of my time on defense defending passing plays (NOTE: My front is built to stop the run, so we do legitimately suck at pass rushing). Adjusting it to make it harder for user teams would probably push my own sack production to paltry levels, along with some others.

Again, this is a discussion, not an accusation.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

This is the first season I have had any sacks from my D-line really, I usually get most of my sacks from the linebackers because I blitz a lot. This season after the first couple games I realized I was getting a ton of pressure with my trio of freshman up front and blitzed less as a result. My sacking linebacker is the one I user most often and I can tell you that more than half of his sacks are on plays where the CPU QB scrambles and I come up and hit him for a 1 yard loss. The thing with my new DE is that I learned in my premier league that finnesse moves for DEs are the most critical stat, so I have recruited accordingly, the guy with 20 on my team has like 88 finesse moves as a frosh. I user him occasionally on obvious passing situations, but I typically use a LB or the FS, at least 2/3 of his sacks are by the CPU. One game he had like 4 or 5 and I never touched him plus I play the second team starting sometime in the 3rd quarter against the CPU.

far as engaging the line. That rule is meant for d-lineman. If you are running blitzes or overloading the weakside you might cone through untouched which is fine as long as you aren't looping.

I agree they are a bit inflated, so I'll bump CPU pass blocking and reduce user pass rush a bit for next year. If I could reduce QB accuracy for just Cal I would since he completes like 80%. :)

I am going to try and ramp up the CPU quite a bit overall this year since mostly we are crushing them

3. Abominatrix

Abominatrix Walk On

I recently started usering my LBs more and starting noticing that same issue - when the QB tucks and takes off, he will NEVER pull up and try to complete a pass, so there's 0 reason not to just crash the line. Unfortunately, that's an EA problem (one of many), so there's nothing to do about those sacks. I know that I'll always take them when they show up and I'm close enough.

That freshman is an example of something I'm fine with - the kid is legitimately good at rushing the passer, and the CPU typically engages the O-line first. Even if it doesn't, there's no blame to be placed on the user. My biggest issue is with the amounts. Elite pass rushers (or elite matchups AKA above average DE vs. terrible freshman T) usually average a bit more than 1 sack a game. I support making the CPU blocking/User rushing more in favor of the CPU, but I guess there's nothing we can do regarding the QB scramble-sacks that LBs pick up by the handful. Don't think there are any sliders to affect a QB's performance that wouldn't make other stuff unbearable.

I'd be fine with lowering User QB accuracy, too, for the record :p. I can't remember the last time any of my QBs have just flat-out missed a throw. Then again, my QBs have been pretty highly rated over the years - a blessing not shared by all of us. We'll see what happens when I finally put one of my recruits under center >_>

4. Wyrmreaver

I was planning on reducing QB accuracy before this season, but when I looked at the stats, outside of Army and Cal most teams are right around 60%. I think I'll do it anyways this year. I'd like to make the CPU at least occasionally competetive. The other users can throw more short, high % passes if they need to.

5. GMONEY 15

GMONEY 15 2015 BCS Champs

Nice posts here fellas,

I am the opposite. I blitz but not often as I rely on my D LINE to get pressure. Sometimes they get pressure and if I see that I will try to highlight them to make the play. However it seems like lately when I play the CPU, their QB has happy feet and he wants to take off and run right away. That result is that you get a sack for a 2 or 3 yard lost and by the end of the game your team has 9 or 10 sacks instead of 5 or 6.

As far as QB rating is concerned it really doesn't matter to me if you reduce the ACC or not as I will always try to thread the needle to test my QB in the CPU games just to see what passes he can put on a dime and his touch as well to prepare myself for the USER games as you guys seem to pass for 10000 yards a season. It just sucked that I threw 5 picks against LSU in our game but that's life as I will always try and mix up my passing plays and patterns ...NO MATTER WHAT:D

FYI...For scheduling next season, can we try and have a game or 2 against the CPU before we have back to back USER games. By the way LSU should be trip to VA next season. Always a great battle and smash mouth SIM football when we play and win or lose you have to be happy about that. ;)

6. Wyrmreaver

I'll try, but the conference schedules usually put the hurt on me and I have to front load user games

7. Jamie

Jamie Walk On

My top guy has 6.5 sacks I think. But like Abom, my front is built to stop the run. Most of my sacks are coverage sacks save the occasional blitz.

I'm not as concerned with the sack totals IF guys are playing the right way against the cpu. No way of knowing for sure. But increasing the pass blocking and lowering the effectiveness of certain moves should help some. Interesting about finess moves for pass rushers. I would have thought block shedding would be more important. But, now that I think about it, I guess BS would be more for run stoppers.

Hopefully my new team will have an accurate QB. I am for this as well. My current QB has a below 80 ACC and one game I completed over 80% of my throws.