Staying Big?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I've been giving this some thought. Everyone is going to start small and work up due to the new system and all, but I've been asking myself what setup is better. Is it more fun to work up from job to job, or is it more fun to have seven or eight seasons worth of recruiting and rivalries?

I really like the idea of working up from the bottom, but I also really enjoy recruiting over a half dozen seasons, working guys through their entire careers, and having full ownership of a team, so to speak. We can still do this, of course, but with most of us not getting our favorite gigs for a few seasons, it may take six or seven years to have a team that is completely ours.

And with most of us playing in multiple leagues, we're all going to get a taste of the small school start. I wonder if we're better off in the long run if we start where we really want to be.

Just thought i'd throw that out there.

2. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

Agreed here.........Everyone is doing the builder style that i m in so i vote to just start at your school of choice from day 1...If this is the case Florida is my choice

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I just want to open up the discussion because I don't want to get caught up in the latest fad or anything. I know the coaching carousel is a lot of fun, but in a 12 man league where competition is key, it might serve us better to align by league right from the start.

I'd have a good time no matter what, and I am definitely going to play a bottom up dynasty, but I think it'll most likely be offline, where I can set things up to get the right kind of challenge. Hard to do that with 12.

If the group wants to start small, I'll go with that, but I think there are some real advantages to starting in our favorite jobs right from the start.

We'll see what the guys have to say.

4. jca312

jca312 Walk On

I'd personally vote for allowing people to start out wherever they want to be. I agree that that allows for more ownership of your team and allows you to develop stronger rivalries.

Not sure how many seasons you guys got through, but I agree with your rationale. We got through 17 seasons in CoC, so I think the pace of that league is perfect to get the most out of the Coaching Carousel. From a very cursory look around, it seems like most leagues end up somewhere around 10 seasons. It would probably take about 5 years to get to your dream job if we start from the bottom and you're trying to get to a major BCS program, so you'd really only graduate 1 or 2 classes of your recruits at your dream school. If we open it up to coaching wherever we want to be, I think everyone can get what they want out of the dynasty. People who want to build can do that, people who want to be at powerhouses can do that. I think we still will get good use out of the Carousel feature because it looks like it's going to be very challenging to remain at a top program if you're not winning every year.

If we are going to build from the ground up, I'd rather not be handcuffed by having to funnel into a certain conference. I would like freedom to choose my course the whole way. If an ACC job is offered, but that's not one of the conferences we end up choosing to funnel to, I wouldn't like not being able to take the job. Again, just my personal preference, hoping this helps promote conversation so we can start to iron out the landscape of our league. I think it will be fun whichever direction we choose and I like Archie's idea of focusing on the career of the coach more than on the school.

Hopefully we can get some more activity going as we are just over 2 weeks away from the release.

5. Goose

Goose Walk On

Start big and allow guys to get fired.

6. soxandgators

Agree with JCA fully we gotta step it up in here...We are premier fellas

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I think guys are taking advantage of the slowness, but everyone knows what's up. We3 have some pretty bus guys, but we'll be as active as last year, I'm sure. We put up some great numbers with this core group; I'm pretty sure we'll do it again.

8. soxandgators

I don't doubt this league a bit. Am glad to be a member of Sim Nation Archie,and appreciate you drafting me as well.....I am only referring to forum activity not game play. Takes 30 seconds to come in daily and check on things.

9. bdub

bdub Walk On

I check on things daily and gave my opinion in the other thread. Starting big or small its going to be a blast.

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I was thinking of starting big, but cleaning house - you know, embracing the whole scandal thing and handicapping myself with scholarship restrictions. It'd be a good story, and a good challenge.

11. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Wasn't trying to knock the league at all Arch, just excited to get the details ironed out so we can pick teams and whatnot. I'm happy to be a part of the league and look forward to meeting new guys I haven't crossed paths with yet.

12. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

No problem at all. Calls for activity and such are a good thing. I've just been taking advantage of the slowness because I know the pace is going to be quick, and it's going to stay that way for quite a while. Still, it's about time to kick it up a few notches. I'm going to spend some time with the demo, and then we'll have some discussions that are a little more final. I imagine guys are going to start picking it up now that the demo's out.

13. jca312

jca312 Walk On

Sounds good

14. bdub

bdub Walk On

Yeah can't wait for the demo tonight. Once I play it a little and get a feel for the game, I can start thinking about what kind of style I want to play with this year.