Stoops

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by DatNDaz, Dec 4, 2009.

1. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Stoops

Despite multiple non-denial denials by Stoops, rumors persist about him and ND getting close on a deal. I'll believe it when I see it because it's been 25 years since ND didn't botch a head coaching hire, but I'm starting to hear the rumors from slightly more credible sources than earlier in the week.

Supposedly DeBartolo is involved, which is part of the reason for the high figures.

-$6mm / year
    -$500k / BCS Appearance
    -$1mm / BCS win
    -$2mm / National Champ

The rumor all week was that there was interest and they were just working out figures and recruiting/disciplinary details, with a Friday afternoon press conference.

Again, I'll believe it when I see Stoops at the podium, but what the hell Basis, let's get a slow clap going anyway....

Stoops....
    Stoops....
    Stoops....

2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

clap

clap

clap

clap

clap
    clap
    CLAP
    CLAP CLAP
    CLAP CLAP CLAP
    CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
    CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP

:D

3. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I would be ecstatic with either Stoops or Kelly.

4. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

HA! This makes me laugh.

5. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

Oklahoma IS A BETTER JOB THAN NOTRE DAME!

6. jfosh

jfosh Super

I disagree. But Stoops cant save that program. They need to keep looking.

7. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

There are many reasons the OU job is much better and the OU football program is much, much better than Notre Dame.

Stoops will be in Norman next year, mark it down.

8. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

The OU program is better than ND right now because of Stoops. Where were they before him?

I still don't think he's coming but it's not shocking to think that a coach would leave a good situation for a shitload of money and the chance to rebuild Notre Dame. Plus he'd have a jump start with a pretty good roster next year (arguably on par with Oklahoma's, although losing Clausen will hurt especially since Crist is rehabbing through spring practice).

9. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Notre Dame people need to realize they can't just go out and get whoever the heck they want...If that was the case Urban Meyer would be the HC right now. Stoops is NOT going to ND this year or anytime soon. Probably never. He was on local sports radio on Tuesday afternoon, calling from San Diego (recruiting trip) to once again for the like the 3rd time this week let everyone know he is not going to Notre Dame nor anywhere but the University of Oklahoma.

You might want to start that slow clap for Brian Kelly. Heck, you'd be lucky to get him. His program at Cincy is better than ND's right now. Even the TCU head coach won't go to ND. He re-signed with TCU yesterday.

Stoops just suffered his worst season at OU and it was basically due to injuries. He's got studs lined up that are coming in for the 2010 season and more are on the way. OU will play for 2 NC's before ND even plays in a BCS bowl game.

10. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Haha you Oklahoma fans kill me. Has it ever happened before that a coach has denied every rumor and then went ahead to the team that he was denying the rumors ABOUT? I guess you never knew the whole Nick Saban to Alabama story?

It is POSSIBLE that Notre Dame COULD land Stoops. It is unlikely.

It is PROBABLE that Notre Dame lands Brian Kelly. What no one takes into account in the college football world is HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE THE DREAM OF PLAYING AT OR COACHING AT NOTRE DAME. That is why we have great (ranked) recruiting classes when the team struggles on the field. That is why we are able to land the coaches we have landed. Have they panned out? No. Does that change the luster of Notre Dame for an older coach, say 35 and older that actually KNOWS Notre Dame history? No.

Just because you are getting tired of hearing Stoops to ND rumors doesn't mean that Notre Dame isn't a huge pull for recruits and coaches. When you think of how many kids from Texas' dream it is to play at either OU or Texas, multiply that by the entire nation and there you have the desire to play at Notre Dame.

11. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

Stoops is all about loyalty. He was given a chance to be a head coach by Oklahoma while he was an assistant. He also has maybe the best University President & Athletic Director combination in the country, which is key. As long as Castiglione & Boren are at OU, Stoops will be at OU in my opinion.

Oh, he also makes $4M plus a year at OU; is building a huge new home; has young kids in a school system; has stated many times how much his family enjoys the area.

12. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

What coaches have you landed since Holtz? I believe Willingham was the only coach with previous head coaching experience. Wasn't Davies an assistant before taking the job? Don't forget about the O'Leary blunder. I think ND has had a hard time landing coaches. I doubt many of these guys were ND's the first choice for the job.

13. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

I'm not sure about this, doesn't ND get an automatic BCS bid if they are bowl eligible?

14. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

I for one think Stoops will be excellent at ND.

15. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

I see both sides of this. Stoops has been under alot of pressure because he has struggled the past few years to beat Texas. he has done a great job up until this year because of injuries.

At the same time, I agree with Wildcatter. I think OU is a better job. Not because this is Big 12 country, but because of what he aand JHEB said. Stoops iss till recruiting for OU and has a nice bench not to mention some great Red Shirt Freshman. He would be walking into a mess he wont be able to clean up over the next few years. Notre Dame is not a complete disaster but I dont think Stoops will be in a hurry to jump ships. Especially when Colt McCoy is leaving UT and a big chance to regain the top spot in the BIG 12 is on the line.

16. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Bob Stoops is no Nick Saban, that's for sure...He'd never pull the crap Saban has. If Stoops takes the ND job you can kick me out of the E. That's how confident I am that he won't leave. Most kids don't have any knowledge of them being any good. I do think Stoops would make them really good and would do it fast but it's not happening.

17. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I think the real problem with ANYONE making Notre Dame good is also the reason Urban Meyer refused the job: admissions requirements.

I have an interesting perspective on this, that makes good sense to me. The teams that have the toughest admissions standards for football players, if they are any good at all, have good offenses. They get smart guys who can play ball and can understand how complex running an offense is. Defense is a much simpler to grasp. Kill the man with the ball. Hit the guy in front of you before he hits you. Over-simplified, but you get the point.

Now, Notre Dame cannot get the same DE into school as Florida can. Then, all of a sudden, the DT that is interested in Alabama and Notre Dame will not be admitted to ND. Now, you're losing the best pure athletes in the most important positions on the field -- in the trenches. If the defense controls the line of scrimmage, they win the game usually.

My point, overall, is this: No matter what coach goes to Notre Dame, they had better be prepared to deal with this, especially as the modern athlete continues to evolve. The Irish will always (or should at least) have a very potent offense. Defense down the road will make or break them.

18. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I think the real problem with ANYONE making Notre Dame good is also the reason Urban Meyer refused the job: admissions requirements.

I have an interesting perspective on this, that makes good sense to me. The teams that have the toughest admissions standards for football players, if they are any good at all, have good offenses. They get smart guys who can play ball and can understand how complex running an offense is. Defense is a much simpler to grasp. Kill the man with the ball. Hit the guy in front of you before he hits you. Over-simplified, but you get the point.

Now, Notre Dame cannot get the same DE into school as Florida can. Then, all of a sudden, the DT that is interested in Alabama and Notre Dame will not be admitted to ND. Now, you're losing the best pure athletes in the most important positions on the field -- in the trenches. If the defense controls the line of scrimmage, they win the game usually.

My point, overall, is this: No matter what coach goes to Notre Dame, they had better be prepared to deal with this, especially as the modern athlete continues to evolve. The Irish will always (or should at least) have a very potent offense. Defense down the road will make or break them.

19. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

I agree with your theory. I believe ND is trying to reduce their SOS which should help balance this out. Now, you just have to stop losing those games to Navy & UConn, especially at home.

ND should be a 9 win team on a yearly basis and that is good enough for a BCS slot in most years.

20. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

A 9-3 regular season with the kind of schedule they have been playing lately is not BCS worthy. I don't care if it is Notre Dame or anyone.

Notre Dame's schedule doesn't get THAT much tougher anytime soon.

HOWEVER

9-1 Navy @Dublin, Ireland
    9-8 Purdue
    9-15 @ Michigan State
    9-22 Michigan
    10-6 vs. Baylor @New Orleans, LA
    10-27 @ Oklahoma
    11-3 Pittsburgh
    11-10 Army
    11-17 Wake Forest
    11-24 @ Southern California

9-7 @ Michigan
    9-14 @ Purdue
    9-21 Michigan State
    9-28 Oklahoma
    10-5 Arizona State @Arlington, TX
    10-19 Southern California
    10-26 @ Connecticut @Foxboro, MA
    11-2 Navy
    11-9 @ Pittsburgh

Those are looking pretty nice! See you in Norman in 2012! I might be at a place in my life where I can go to that game, so if by some crazy chance we still have an OD in NCAA 13 (hahaha) we should have me and Dat take on Wildcatter and JHeb in an old fashioned game I call "Drink the Beer".

21. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Got room for one more?? I may be in Dallas next year with hopefully my new employer

22. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I think it'd be really cool for us to get together if this dynasty is still alive...I love this dynasty and would really like to see if last for a long time.

ND has some HUGE games coming up...Navy in Dubland, Ireland? Wow!!

23. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I don't know that Stoops will end up leaving for ND, but I'm fairly certain he's got an offer in hand and hasn't said "no" yet. Maybe he's just using it to renegotiate his current contract at some point.

This is meaningless speculation on my part, but if I'm ND and I want to get the most bang for my buck with a big announcement, I wait until after the Florida-Alabama game is over and then drop it. Either Saturday evening, or Sunday. If we get to Tuesday and nothing's happened, or if BS makes another public statement at any point from here on, I'll give up all hope on him. But I hear ND is doing everything they can to make it tough for him to say no. I've also heard he's already signed, but I don't buy it because after the last 10 years I'm convinced good things don't happen to ND anymore.

Any of you OU fans know if BS is out recruiting right now? Any confirmed visits this week or next?

24. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Dat, the most disconcerting thing to me about the whole situation is that you have not committed to being on my drinking team in Norman. Come on man! :D

I can hook up all the lodging and festivities for all Notre Dame games at Yankee Stadium or The Meadowlands for years to come by the way.

25. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

And AMP, you better f'n invite me to a game at Doak at some point.