Stopping the Passing Game

Discussion in 'Zeros to Heroes' started by ChildPlease9, Feb 25, 2011.

1. ChildPlease9

ChildPlease9 @HKSeahawks

I have no trouble stopping the run. But it's a whole new battle when it comes to the air. I play a solid FS, especially when there's no lag.

It seems like there's always a let down in coverage, and I can't get pressure on the QB fast enough to make a difference.

What strategies are successful for everyone? Any tips would be appreciated.

2. nrg_qbz-_-

nrg_qbz-_- Walk On

What I normally do is...oh wtf am I saying. Michigan is almost dead-last in passing yards given up

3. Sabo

Sabo Z2H Commish

I struggle vs the pass also. I run alot of zone defense. Seems like the over the middle passes eat me up alot.

4. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

Not sure of how valid it is but have read in several forums that man to man is far more effective than zone, if you have the players to do so...that when you run zone the coverage will have holes that the defense finds....I know in Madden the successful players really focused on player attributes, ratings, haven't seen as much discussion on that on the NCAA side in different leagues, is it not see as being that critical?

5. Fight'n Hokie

Fight'n Hokie Walk On

I run alot of man coverage simply due to running the 353...zone defense is broken on the game but that's not to say I don't run any zone cas I d

6. ChildPlease9

ChildPlease9 @HKSeahawks

PRESSURE IS KEY! At least from my week one experience...

7. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

Some things I do....

When I bring pressure, I bring pressure. None of this safety over the top, dropping linebackers... If
    Im bliziting Im all or nothing

I dont think zone is broken at all. Great QB's will tear zone defenses apart in RL or in the game. Try
    zone blitzing, dropping DLine is super effective. When offenses see blitz, first thought is get it out
    quick, which is usually over the middle,dropping DL will help tremendously.

Use field position to your advantage. If the offense is on either hash, bring pressure from the short
    side of the field. This works with man and zone, Ill send a zone defender (usually a LB that should be
    dropping into a zone) from the short side of the field. No use in having 3 to 4 defenders in zone on
    the short side of the field. Defenders can cover multiple routes when the field is so short (only
    applies when the offense is on either hash, or close to it)

Lastly, play the sticks. If its 3rd and 15 its okay to give up 14 yards. 3rd and long drop your
    coverage back and give them short routes, then rally and tackle.

Im no stud on defense, but those are some things I do. Oh ya.... dont use any of this against me either [​IMG]