STRATEGY DISCUSSION TOPIC #1: How To Stop The Read Option

Discussion in 'Quality Simulation Football' started by CHUNKNESS, Oct 14, 2013.

1. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

With this year's release of Madden NFL 25, obviously the latest and possibly the most popular addition to the offense is the read option. Some say the read option is an overrated fad which will wind up with starting quarterbacks on the IR. Others say the read option is overpowered and takes advantage of the AI giving teams with mobile QB's in particular an unfair advantage. My personal opinion is that the read option is similar to the implementation of the Wildcat on steroids. The read option is new to a good majority of league participants except for those who have experienced it playing NCAA Football. Granted, we are talking two entirely different games. However, the desired result is the same... We want to know how to stop the read option and neutralize our opponent.

THIS THREAD IS INTENDED FOR CONSTRUCTIVE PURPOSES ONLY. Before anyone replies, here are a few things NOT to bring to the discussion...

This thread should NOT be a discussion regarding how often the read option should be used. This thread is NOT a discussion of how overpowered the read option is. This thread is NOT intended to discuss how Peyton Manning should not be running a read option offense. Lastly, this thread is NOT to be used to call anyone out or complain about opponents and what they have done using the read option. If you need to bash the read option or complain about an opponent, then you best take it to a different community forum.

With that said, the purpose of this post is to generate constructive, healthy discussion between everyone in the league so that we ALL may improve our game. Don't be an asshole and keep knowledge to yourself so that only YOU can win. Quality Simulation Football is about camaraderie and competition. Spread the knowledge and empower your league brethren.

EFFECTIVE WAYS TO STOP THE READ OPTION:

In Madden 25, pre-snap on defense, there is an Adjust Defense option available to the defense in the pre-snap controles. When the user enters the menu, this is the flow and behavior (Shopmaster; MyMaddenPad.com):

First, press "L2" to open the Adjust Defense menu.

Next it depends on whether you want to attack the QB or the RB
    :
    • Press "SQUARE" to have the read defender pursue the running back. The read will crash and initiate pursuit of the running back.
    • Press "X" to have the read defender pursuer the quarterback. The read will stay at home and attack the quarterback when he initiates his run.
    Here is a video example of the defensive pre-snap controls (Zfarls; MaddenTips.com):
    Here are formation strategies of how to defend the read option (EASports.com):
    • ENGAGE EIGHT

Engage Eight is an extremely high-risk, high-reward defense. If you are looking to stop your opponent on the ground, then this play will likely do the trick. However, expect to get beaten by the pass if your opponent suspects Engage Eight is coming. This may not be an every-down defense against the option, but use this as a last-ditch effort to provide pressure on the QB.

• USER-DEFEND AND COMMIT

User-defending and committing towards the option means attacking the QB from the play side with a MLB or safety. This can be tricky, because you’ll have to avoid blockers to make a play on the QB. User-control ability is extremely important here, so make sure that you only attempt this if you are confident in your stick skills. If your opponent throws a play action towards your side of the field, be sure to recover as quickly as you can back to your coverage assignment.

• SEND SIX

This can be done from any formation and any play in the game. The only rule is to make sure you send six defenders, excluding your user defender. Sit back and let your opponent decide who to give the ball to and then attack. Don’t commit too early, otherwise you’ll get picked up by blockers and get taken out of the play.

• COMMIT TO HB

If you are facing a QB that isn’t a threat to run, use your pre-snap tools to select “Commit to HB,” which means your defense will attempt to take away the handoff. Decide on your game plan early, and consider mixing it up so that your opponent doesn’t get comfortable with the same read. The indicator for this will be your DE crashing in towards the snap of the ball.

• COMMIT TO QB

A general rule of thumb in Madden NFL 25 is that your opponent will want to run with a mobile QB. Don’t allow it. Using your pre-snap adjustments, select “Commit to QB” to take him out of the equation. Your indicator for this will be your DE standing up at the snap of the ball. If the opposing QB keeps the ball, he will get crushed by the DE. This forces the handoff to the HB, and the defense will have to make a play in the open field. This is, without a doubt, the best way to not only stop the option, but also to frustrate your opponent.
    The video that follows is an explanation of the "scrape exchange" technique that is used in football to stop the read option. For league purposes, we are limited to the Madden linebacker and/or line shifts. Even so, the video displays the idea behind the technique that may be implemented to stop the two headed monster of the read option (4wardProgressMadden):

Those are just a few examples of how to defend against the read option. Feel free to discuss and/or post other insights!

• Like Like x 7
  2. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

I usually user the MLB and set my defense to contain the Qb. However, there are times when i'm caught in doing other presnap adjustments and didn't have time to contain the Qb, and the Qb takes off for a big gain against me like when ThaBayouChef made my defense look silly with his Jake Locker td. All in all i think the read option can be contained as long as you stay disciplined. If you set your defense to contain the Qb, it's best to user a lb and follow the running back. Likewise, if you set your defense to contain the running back, it's best to follow the running back yourself.

• Like Like x 3
  3. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

1) User your safety when you feel the RO is coming.
    2) Adjust your DE or OLB to contain the QB and user the MLB to follow the RB.
    3) Blitz off the edge.

There's really nothing else to it. To whoever is complaining about the RO at the 2 month mark of this game being released, obviously hasn't been practicing enough. The RO is NOT overpowered, nor is it unstoppable. Since I can't run it anymore after this season, I'll gladly play a scrim with anyone who needs the practice in defending it and run the RO 80%-20% until you figure it out.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Josh Barnes

Josh Barnes Walk On

Good stuff Doug, thanks for the info!

If I think my opponent is running the read option I always look for the QB keep. More times than not, when the QB keeps the ball it is deadly and leads to a big play, so he is my main focus. Typically I user a LB or safety to try and contain/tackle the QB. The way I see it, my DL and other LB's should therotically make the play on the running back or at least clog the holes in the middle limiting the big play.

I have tried using Nickle and Nickle CB blitzes from the side the QB would keep the ball to, but haven't experienced much success with it stopping the QB. He usually either crashes down hard to the RB or the pulling G/FB seems to always pick him up. I have also tried the commit HB/commit QB, but just about every time I do that my opponent makes the proper read and it bites me in the butt!

There is no doubt it is tough to stop (some games harder than others), but it can be stopped or at least contained. I only wish the computer would defend it a little better. Any time I run a counter, the DE and/or OLB usually always sets and contains the edge; however, very rarely do they contain the edge on a read option. I know they are two different types of plays, but it certainly would be nice if they did not crash down as much ;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Good Stuff CHUNKNESS

Side note, does anyone else find it annoying when you are controlling a particular player, and once the ball is snapped they automatically move that player you control in the direction of their assignment rather than letting you control them?

As the safety, I always have to reassign my safety to "spy" just so they don't take 3 steps back before I can actually commit to the run.

Is there a feature that I need to turn off, or is this universal for everyone?

6. thafuture3886

Stop derailing the thread :blackeye:

But yes that happens to me with the mlb

• Like Like x 1
  7. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

It depends on how far you have re positioned the defender away from his assignment. If your safety is where he is supposed to be, he will stick with his defensive assignment. So if his assignment is a zone coverage or sometimes even man, he will automatically play the coverage assignment. I do not believe there is a setting to remove that automation. I, too, will typically audible my manually controlled defender to a spy assignment if I intend to use him manually to take away the run or double cover a particular receiver.

• Like Like x 2
  8. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Well in a sense it has a lot to do with stopping the read option, as it throws your off the course to defend it with a user player if the assignment isn't set to "spy."

• Like Like x 1
  9. thafuture3886

Lol just messin with ya :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. ferocious

ferocious Bring it

Well Here goes my top secrets :banghead::banghead::banghead:... LOL that has helped me without much adjustment pre snap. No matter what set you come out of you can do this real quick. If you know the RO is coming.

1: Audible your defensive line to crash out from the set they are in. Do not close them in then crash out. Just crash out.
    2: User a Safety, either one would work.
    3: This can be done with any type of play, I mostly do it out of man coverage but zone works too. It can be done with a blitz in it, or two man under. Just remember to user the safety on a zone coverage not on a man coverage just in case the QB throws it you wont have a blown assignment.
    4: As the ball gets snapped, dont pursue right away, wait for the hand off or run with qb. If he hands it off to HB up the middle, the defensive line wont be in position to stop this but your LB's will and so will you once you rush to the line with your safety. So this will be a 5 yards or less on that run depending on your lb's awareness.
    5: If the QB decides to keep the ball, the line crashing out will make him take a wider approach on that run. Now this is were the user makes a difference, you with the safety will run to the side the QB is running to and take a wide approach, dont crush it in. Take the outside QB run and make him run back in to the inside which by then it will have defensive lineman and LB's there in place for the tackle. Once again 5 yards or less on that run depending on your LB's awareness. But sometimes even a sack right away.

This doesnt work you usering a LB becuz the LB will automatically rush the line on an inside run and get stuck on a block, therefore a long run for the HB. If you pursue the RO on the QB, you will most likely also get blocked and therefore a long run for the QB. If you decide to user the LB and guess what he is doing and rush that part of the play right away, then if your wrong thats a long long run for eith HB or QB.

Hope this helps you, and dont kill the messenger if it doesnt work for you!!!! NO REFUNDS!!!:D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  11. Easy Dez It

Easy Dez It Walk On

I usually use the Method that Doug posted in the video, Its by far the easiest way to contain to were the opp doesnt feel safe enough to use it to get that "Big Play". That being said it doesnt always work, and to me the 5-6 yards up the middle is worse than the QB breaking the big one. I will try some of the mentions method where as I try my best to stop and maybe even pray alittle bit lmao

• Like Like x 2
  12. cry_havoc

cry_havoc Walk On

Like most i usually user the Safety on a RO. Most zone blitzes from the strong side of the option(HB side) work well as the HB will be forced to get the rock. Your DE and user Safety should attack toward the run(other safety if its a safety blitz).

• Like Like x 1
  13. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

Thanks Doug! Great idea and some great strategies!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Phenom

Phenom Walk On

Great info Doug! Many thanks!

• Like Like x 1