Strategy

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by charter04, Aug 13, 2010.

1. charter04

charter04 Walk On

Strategy

I thought we could share some of our recruiting, roster, and in game strategies with each other. I know I could use some pointers on certain things. I know it's hard share things against people you compete with but it is just friendly competition anyway.

When it comes to recruiting all I do is search for players who have me number one first. Pull from that list. Then, I search for those who have be in their top 3. I then narrow my board down to about 25 or so. I offer the ones who have me first right off the bat. Try and get that instant commit. I order my board according to rating. I spend 6 hours with my top two or three, then spend time with the rest.

I don't have a strategy for promises. I'm not real sure when to use them during the season. I invite players for visits to games against rivals as much as I can. That is really the extent of my recruiting strategy.

How about everyone else?

2. hoosierjoe

hoosierjoe Walk On

My recruiting strategy for this season is a bit different. For next season, I only have 2 roster needs -- P and FB. Because these are two positions that I rarely use, and could get by with just 2 star talent, I have spent more time looking for players that I can use to improve weaker points in my roster as well as try to prevent major drop offs in talent after upcoming seasons. It also allows me to take stabs at long-shot blue chippers.

One thing that has been hurting me is that after week one I have not had any home games, and wont until the next week (Week 7). Because of this, many other programs have been getting players in for visits and gaining points that I haven't been able to as of yet. I'm hoping I can gain a lot of ground with 4 straight home games coming up.

3. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    I'm similar to you charter, I really don't target anyone in which i'm not in the top 3 or 4. I also put priority in those who are in my pipeline. I pay attention to the other teams on his list and see if they are in the player's pipeline to see what my chances are. I put time into players that fit my needs first and go for the rest after I use that time.

4. charter04

charter04 Walk On

Yea I forgot about th pipeline factor. I really rely on that a lot. Most of the guys on my board are pipeline players. Really that is what most school do. I know with Arkansas they start with the in state guys and then most work on pipeline states. Only the really big time school can go outside of that. Even teams like Texas and Florida pull heavily from the instate players. That is what I like about being able to make recruiting harder. It seems to make it more realistic.

5. Kingspring

Kingspring Walk On

I recruit speed, and do a lot of converting... In hs a lot of the best athletes play skill positions and then when they come to college they are converted, so I recruit a ton of speed and move them to linebackers depending on weight, this is not the case all the time but I try to do this as much as possible... obv I do not jeopardize the good rating but in some cases I do this, I also do not like recruiting people who are under a B speed at any position that needs to attack the ball. I just love speed lol... but my auburn class is up in the air since I was not the initial recruiter and my board and schollys were pre set.

6. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Speed don't matter if they can't catch or tackle, lol

7. charter04

charter04 Walk On

I seems like they have made it to were speed is not the only thing that matters anymore. I have a guy that has 97 speed but his acc. is low. He is not a good kick returner because it takes him too long to get to top speed. Quickness seems to matter a lot more than it used to, which is like real life.

8. phbaseball1335

phbaseball1335 Walk On

My strategy at this point for both recruiting and game play is just to pray. The injury bug is really starting to hurt me this season. For the next three weeks (at least), I will be without my top two runningbacks and my offensive line plays like they are cardboard cut-outs getting pushed around badly. Thankfully I have a scrambling quarterback who can evade some of the pressure, but with it being almost every play, it is getting tougher to minimize the mistakes. In recruiting, I'm just hoping that none of the big boys come calling the recruits that I am high up on. My biggest areas of need, I am doing okay holding off teams like Navy, but if any of the BCS heavyweights come calling, I may start losing out on some much needed recruits.

9. charter04

charter04 Walk On

What about roster strategy? I like to use formation subs a lot. I couldn't believe it when I made 50 formation moves and couldn't make anymore. Either I went a little crazy or it is stupid that they put a cap on it. Why would it even matter how many you use. Anyway, because I have 4 quality RB's and several good WR's I like to mix all of them in to different packages. This is what the real Hog's do, so it also helps me stay authentic. How about everyone else. What is your roster strategy?

10. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Mainly I do some formation subs on running backs on certain packages. I don't want to tinker with the defensive subs this season, but next year I can hopefully make some adjustments on nickel and dime packages.

11. charter04

charter04 Walk On

Continue with those two subjects, but the last bit of strategy I would like to hear about is the in game strategy. For me, I like to take my teams strengths and make the most of them. Utilize mismatches and always like balance. That is why I am so excited about this years new run blocking. It can be overpowering at times but it adds much needed realism to games. Before this year I couldn't stand playing people online because you just couldn't run the ball. I know in real life the running game is losing importance, but I am still a big believer of balanced off and a good Defense wins championships. You can finally use that in a user verses user games. I tend to be a little to conservative but I have forced myself to put it in the air a little more with Arkansas' great passing attack. If I can have my final stat's with the same number of runs and passes I feel I had a good game.