Strategy

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by lilmaggie, Aug 20, 2009.

1. lilmaggie

lilmaggie Rocky Top Tennessee

Strategy

Wandering what you guys thought of the strategy bumps. You know, where you can set your defense to strip the ball or jump the snap,etc. Do you guys use them or not. I know some leagues have made them illegal. I don't use them but that is just me. Do you guys think they are cheesy, or fair.

2. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

I like them because it's a risk/reward thing. If you abuse them you will get penalties, Turnovers ect....Plus some teams are typically more aggressive or conservative and it shows up in the game.

3. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

i think the aggressive is somewhat cheesy, it always gives a fumble or break tackle

4. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I like the idea of them but I don't think EA executed them very well. If you go aggressively, you're not really punished. For instance if you go for big hits, you don't really miss tackles and have big runs happen against you. It's tough to monitor too.

Does this have anything to do with the run/pass commit feature too?

5. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

I know a lot of people are not allowing them in many dynasties. I don't know a whole lot about it. I only used to use them when down by a lot in the fourth quarter. As for the run commit or focus on the pass, I think those should be banned because you can commit to the run everytime and still be successful at rushig the quarterback. I don't really notice a big advantage to doing focus on pass other than your defenders playing off the receivers pre-play.

6. lilmaggie

Should we have a vote to see if guys want them or not. I agree with gator, I like the idea but some things just seem poorly designed. The run commit is chessy. They are impossible to police though. It would have to be done on the honor system. Which is do-able with you guys I believe.

7. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I agree with the short bus stud! The run/pass commit is cheesy because you can blitz 7 and pass commit to keep from getting beat deep while your rush gets there, or like he said you can run commit middle with a short zone to rush the pass. I think it should be usable in obvious downs (3rd and long,3rd & inches etc.) because that's realistic and if you guess the wrong way on run commit you could get burned. or if you want to focus on shutting down one particular player that should be allowed too. You can monitor if someone's abusing this because if they are successful they'll get strategy points for season showdown.

The aggressive/conservative thing I don't really use because in my experience it does more harm than good. The only time I ever use it is if someone is using ball strip I put big run on conservative, or if someone is using dline aggressive I will too (That should be out and out banned right there!) They never call you offsides and you always jump the snap. There are ways to tell if someone is using this stuff. Maybe not one play, but if they have it set to aggressive for most of these things for a quarter or a half we should be able to tell pretty quick. Just my opinion.

8. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

I would be for using run commit only with inches to go or with 1 yard throughout the field ang inside the ten yard line only. I think using any agressive strategy stuff should be banned. This all has to be set in stone and be rock solid. It has to be clear cut with no gray areas.

9. LB Fitted

LB Fitted Walk On

the run/pass commit is fine to me. you use it wrong and you get burned ie commit middle an they go right it will be a big ass gain.also the run commit middle doesnt give a good rush, it jus stuffs middle. if u pass it they dont get past the line still if u pinch. its all football. if u play a team who runs heavy, u should run commit. pass heavy u should pass commit. if they mixin it up as well as u are it makes for realistic football!now if u jus run commit middle everyplay its stupid but it only hurts you.

10. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

I think somebody should try to play an entire game where they run commit middle. It will not only stop the runner, it will make it so the QB has little time to throw the ball or a lot of times the qb doesn't even have time to hand the ball off. It's not realistic by any means to use it throughout the game except for some very strict situations.

11. GoGators

Yeah, I've even seen cheesy play online where guys go 3-3-5 or 3-2-6 and run commit and they can dominate the run and pass defensively. Also, I've seen guys play run commit one way and use the FS on the other side and take away the ground game. That really makes it unfair because if you bet the farm on one way you should get gouged if your wrong and that's not generally the case because EA hasn't realized that once a guy goes one way he shouldn't be able to run full speed and change directions 180 degrees and catch the HB. Same reason why the QB read play still doesn't work like it should. I think the commit thing is situational at best.

12. killajo90405

killajo90405 Walk On

The game has a ton of flaws. As long as our league plays realistic football, (QBs don't roll to sideline and throw across the field, RBs aren't leading the nation in catches) I am happy. If you want to risk a 15 yrd penalty on third down I don't care because I think it balances out. I don't use run pass commit because I try to rely on my play calling, but I don't really care if someone else uses it.

Gator - The 3-2-6 and 3-3-5, if used against someone who plays straight up then yes they are cheese...but when playing online you know there is likely to be a jackass that wants to run around like a chicken with his QB and those are great ways to outsmart a cheeser....

All in all whatever you guys vote I'm cool with....

13. LB Fitted

LB Fitted Walk On

i think its fine as long as its not used in a cheese way.because if u dont use run commit on a 1 yrd play to 1st or score a fb dive ALWAYS gets it! but run commit middle can shut that down. now at the same time, if u run commit middle and they do an outside handoff, its a score easily or big gain. so it works both ways to me. as long as somebodies not abusing it i say its good to me

14. GoGators

I agree here. I think the stuff is completely situational and not something that should be a part of your actual gameplan. If you have 3rd and really long or if you up a lot use pass commit. If less than a yard for a first down or TD, use run commit. Otherwise, just use your play calling!

15. lilmaggie

I think after the season we will vote on it and not try and change anything right now.