Streaming games

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by BlyGilmore, Jul 30, 2009.

1. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Streaming games

This whole streaming thing is new to me, since we didn't do this stuff when I was last playing online.

Just wondering if you guys have talked about the impact streaming has on the game?

I don't think streaming a low quality web cam would be a huge deal, but i'd have to imagine streaming a high quality, almost HD quality video from your computer while playing has to have a lag impact on the game ...

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

yes you cant play on your pc and stream....there is lag. Especially on justin.tv

You cant stream in HD yet........I am sure someday soon we will.

Impact on the game....not much. Just fun to watch others play instead of reading boring game summaries!

3. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

was your game laggy?

4. Maynard

Maynard Banned

ouch ;)

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    game was fine the few times i appeared thru stream.

6. BlyGilmore

I missed an extra point and had a 15 yard punt because the game lagged and didn't register the top of the kick meter for me.

7. BlyGilmore

do i look retarded? knucklehead.

i didn't say play on my computer. i said stream through it. like your post about trying to stream your HD-PVR on Justin.tv. it goes from your PVR to the computer via a USB, and then travels over the internet to Justin.tv - using bandwidth that could otherwise be used by the game.

as for not much, i'd be with you if it was the picture ryno was broadcasting last week from a web cam or something. just clear enough to see what was going on and make out the game.

but the picture jfosh was broadcasting wasn't some shitty web cam feed. it was a very nice, high-quality picture coming from his PVR. unless he has some industrial strength ISP i'd have to imagine that has more than a minimal impact on lag in game.

8. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

so your thinking that streaming games will cause lag.......no they don't. There are so many HQ streams of COD 4 and HALO on Justin.tv If it caused lag then I dont think people would stream it.

I haven't seen any difference in my game pre stream and post stream

9. BlyGilmore

how was the game streamed? that's the point i'm getting at.

10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    same way yours was (via fosh)...me and fosh's games have been perfect.

maybe it's your connection...

11. BlyGilmore

and where are you?

This was a Boston to (i believe) Arizona game.

12. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Any of the games that I've played that were streamed live had no noticeable lag whatsoever. Not nearly as much as when I play Ramirez, for instance. Played him twice and it was laggy as shit both times.

JMS has broadcasted 3 games vs. me. San Diego - NY

Fosh has broadcasted at least 2, that's SD to AZ

Ryno did one (I think) and that was fine, SD to DFW

13. BlyGilmore

COD4 and Halo are different types of games with a different type of internet code where you contect to a central server and communicate with that. NCAA and Madden (unless they changed this year) have one person hosting and the other connecting to them.

so if you're hurting your connection a bit in COD4 or Halo, it isn't as big of a deal and certainly won't impact others. if you're hosting a game of NCAA and also streaming i'm not sure you have the same kind of wiggle room.

14. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

He streamed it the same way we I did. He used a VH Screen Capture.....to capture the HD PVR screen (Arcsoft TME). Then Flash media Encoder grabs that and uploads it the to justin.tv Server.

on FME you can control how big bit-rates are and the resolution.

I used the sling box to grab the image he used the PVR and Arcsoft Total Media Extreme.....only difference.

ok......can be confusing.

Xbox 360 -> PVR -> Computer (arcsoft TME) -> VH Screen Cap -> FME 3.5 -> Justin.tv

The reason it is so much stuff it is b/c we want to play in HD and broadcast in SD.

15. BlyGilmore

cool you can be our test then. we'll have JMS face ya when he's got his PVR doing the same thing Fosh did. if its fine, then it was just a fluke. if it isn't i think we need to look at this a bit more.

16. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I am going to try and stream it tonite via the HD PVR vs Juggs (Miami).

I havent tried streaming via the PVR.....I am assuming my PC can handle it....if so we will try.

17. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

That's fine

and JMS - what's with you and the constant stupid generalizations you make? I really enjoy "boring game summaries" people write after they play. Goddamn, you're an elitist half the time and a mizer the other half who doesn't wanna pay an extra few bucks to get the game early... wtf.

18. BlyGilmore

cool but i'd like to see a coast to coast. you playing Juggy down the street isn't the same thing. shit i might set mine up to do it and grab somebody out west.

i just know from years of playing online there's a noticable difference playing say Ryno or Kinger in Texas, Juggs or you in the NY area and Helli or somebody much further out west (and don't get me started in Trex).

Add in some extra bandwidth being used for streaming and i'd have to say there's at least a bit of an impact.

I mean let me put it this way. if you were playing somebody on the west coast would you ever use that as an ideal time to be uploading a big file to a web server?

19. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

FYI.......I also pay a few bucks extra for more bandwidth. Upload and Download.

I never had a problem with lag playing Helli or Jfosh.....in general I never really have a problem with lag.

20. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I think the easy answer is, if you don't want the other person to stream your games, say so.

That request should be honored. No matter the reason. I wanted to watch the last Jfosh vs. Financedude last year but Ramirez didn't want the game broadcasted so I couldn't "scout" him. (Like I'd do that, lol...) Fosh didn't broadcast

21. jfosh

jfosh Super

First off I would say if my games lagged I wouldn't play anything online I couldn't stand it or find any enjoyment in the activity.

I would be confident in saying that my connection through cox communications is on the good side. I pay extra for higher Download speed and Upload speed.

I have 2700 k/bs upstream, plenty to do more than just play xbox on. You can set a limit on amount of bandwith justin.tv uses anyway.

That was the 8th game ive broadcasted on Justin.tv and have not encountered lag associated with Justin.tv in any prior games.

2 games with ramirez
    2 games with mogriffjr (east coast)
    1 game with helli
    1 game with jms (east coast)
    1 game with bbj

If anything I kicked just as many xp's, fg's, punts ko's as you including one while iced.

Are you saying the game was laggy the whole time or just on those two instances.

I would think it has more to do with Latency between your location and mine.

22. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i don't think streaming would have an effect if you have good bandwidth.

That being said, if anyone has a problem with streaming the game due to possible lag issues... don't stream it. As a member, they deserve to play their games in the best conditions possible and if they think its a problem then it is.

23. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

helli and ryno are right.........I would take down a video or not stream if any of you guys didn't want it out there.

we are friendly enough to know that.

24. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    btw bly, i'm in PA.

25. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

just to add my two cents. i install and troubleshoot internet all day long for Comcast out here in Cali. the upload and dl speeds that were mentioned above should provide plenty of speed for a stream and a game connection. there should be no speed difference at all. the main killers of speeds anybody would see would be MULTIPLE files being exchanged on a limewire type site. that might mess things up.