Stupid TV question

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by bcduggan, Oct 20, 2009.

1. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Stupid TV question

I was playing NCAA Football 10 on a five year old tv. The game seemed like it was playing slow. Today, I bought a nice 22 inch lcd tv. The game seemed like it played faster. Am I imagining things? Would the newer tv make that much of a difference?

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    You are probably experiencing the visibility difference in the refresh rate of the tv.

Since the crystals in an LCD can "refresh" faster, you are probably detecting a lot of movements that you didn't see previously. Hence the illusion that it is moving faster.

3. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

That actually makes sense. Thanks.

4. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I disagree with Drifter. I did this too. I took my xbox home on vacation to my dad's place and had to play on an old school tube tv that was standard 4:3, not widescreen. The game played incredibly slow, like Madden online franchise slow. It was actually much more enjoyable. I even played online games that way too.

I have no idea what the cause would be.

5. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

The cause for the game to seem slow could be a case of the 'ol Mary Jane?

6. GoGators

Nah, it's a legit issue.

7. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    How do you disagree if you took it to a tube tv and it appeared to move slower, lol? I assume you hooked up the RCA (y-r-w) when you hook up to the tube? What about the HDMI to the LCD? If so, you are going from 480i to 1080i/1080p. In addition to the change in aspect ratio, I'm sure it could look a lot different.

However, suggesting that the game is processed at a different speed would be incorrect. The graphics processors (GPUs) in the 360 process the 1's and 0's all the same. The coding doesn't change, just the output to the screen.

8. GoGators

I understand what your saying. I thought the same thing. However, it is much slower, gameplay and all. Perhaps it's the formatting of the TV, because the field isn't stretched out by the widescreen so guys appear to move much slower.

It was really weird at first, but I actually grew to like it because you had control rather than playing like it's a bunch of flies on the screen darting from place to place.

9. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I was playing on a tube tv, and I swear on the LCD it's at least 5 times faster.

What will, if anything, the hdmi do?

10. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    The HDMI is your only hope of getting 1080p picture and packaged, digital audio.

With HDMI, you have the ability to send higher quality video to your tv set, thus, depending on the capabilities of the tv, you can increase the picture. In the case of video games, you get to see more "in-between" motions (resulting in more fluid, smoother movement) and more vivid colors.

11. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Next question. I am having a problem with the color red on video games. In NCAA football for example when I look at recruiting needs offense and defense, thr red rows come in blurred and I can't read the numbers, I can make educated guesses but can't read them. What settings on tv do I need to fix?

12. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Hard to say, what kind of tv is it?

13. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

aoc 22 inch lcd tv envision series l22w898

Viewable Image Size 21.6"
    Brightness (typical) 300 cd/m2
    Contrast Ratio 5000:1 (DCR)
    Response Time 5ms Gray-Gray
    Resolution (typical) Widescreen (1680Ãâ€â€1050)
    Maximum Resolution 1680Ãâ€â€1050x60Hz
    Colors Supported > 16 Million
    Viewing Angle Horizontal: 170º/Vertical: 170º
    Analog TV Tuning NTSC
    Analog Color System NTSC
    Analog Sound System MTS+SAP
    Closed Caption Yes
    V-Chip Parental Control Yes
    Digital Tuning ATSC w/ Clear-QAM
    Composite Inputs 1
    S-Video Inputs 1
    Component Inputs 1
    HDMI Inputs 1
    Signal Input Analog RGB (Dsub)
    Built-in Speakers Yes / 5W
    Power Consumption 55 Watts (max)
    ENERGY STAR ® Compliant Yes
    Regulation: cULus Yes
    Regulation: FCC Yes

I tried to follow what the game says for color and brightness in the system settings but still a little blurred

14. jfosh

jfosh Super

What connection are you using to the TV? Component or Composite? also make sure your output settings on your XBOX match your connection to the TV and your TV's capabilities.

15. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

It's hooked up to av connections on tv

also I own a PS3 not xbox

16. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

To add to my color red issue post:

The place where I bought my tv a small, mom and pop store next town over lent me a HDMI cable today and the red blurriness is gone and it a much better picture. Even the crowd before in the pregame looks alive.

I have to return the cable tomorrow and by the smaller length I need. (y)

17. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    That would have been my suggestion.

HDMI owns all.

18. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

HDMI is the way to go. You can usually find a cheap cable at anywhere besides best buy. Picked up one from Wal-Mart for $15, and when I got my other PS3, gamestop threw me a used one for $10.

19. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Even spending that much is too much.

2 10' cables for 6.99 with free shipping.
    http://slickdeals.net/?pno=25357&lno=1&afsrc=1

Meritline is also another good website with cheap cables.

... and no, it doesn't matter if you buy Monster cable or not, it's all the same.

20. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

Drifter> the place I bought mine said they are all the same also. The $8 ones work just as well as the $40 ones.

21. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

hdmi cables are all the same. dont fall for the monster brand is better b.s. as far as your main issue goes they pretty much answered correctly. its the output to the tv that causes the "lag or slowing down" the same thing happens if u play on an lcd vs. a plasma. the old madden challenges people would bitch and moan when they had to play deeper round games on a plasma because it affected the kicking game. the timing of the game is the exact same its just is your tv presenting your picture as the same speed as the ps3 along with the high end cables u have. another example is when u play online there is a different timing you learn to play with. this is just the connection speed changing the gameplay even though technically your timing should be the exact same when pushing buttons. hope that helps or at least makes sense.