Subbing questionable/doubtful guys into the game

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by jello1717, Nov 4, 2009.

1. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Subbing questionable/doubtful guys into the game

In case you didn't see this in the Spartan's game summaries, you can sub questionable/doubtful guys into games like this.
    I don't know how many people knew that you could do this (I know that neither Dat nor I knew that you could. I did this last night in my offline dynasty. Here's the situation:

Year, 2011. Forcier has been hurt for the majority of the season (again!), but I'm still 8-2. Big 10 race looks like this:
    Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
    School ovr rec conf rec info
    Penn State 8-2 5-1 Beat Michigan
    Wisconsin 9-1 5-1 Plays Mich next
    Ohio State 8-2 5-1 Plays Mich last
    Michigan 8-2 5-1

So, I need to win out against Sconsin and aOSU and even then I still probably won't win the conference. But still, these next 2 games are huge for us. For the 3rd game in a row, Forcier is Questionable. My #2 guy has been struggling and in my last game I had to yank him and put in my #3 guy to come back to beat Minnesota 32-24. Because of that, I started my #2 guy, but put him on a short leash.

Against Sconsin, on my first drive, #2 guy (oh why oh why did you leave me Denard?!?) throws a pick and gets yanked. #3 guy plays decently, but makes a couple of true FR mistakes (okay so I made bad decisions but I'm going to blame him anyway!) I'm still not able to hold back Sconsin (fucking Zach Brown ran for 198 yards and 4 TDs) and I'm still down in the 4th when my #3 QB throws his 2nd pick.

When I get the ball back, I roll the dice and put in Forcier since I need this win. He promptly leads us on a FG scoring drive to cut into the lead. Zach Brown kills me yet again and they open up a 10 point lead. Forcier does his thing again and ends the next drive with a TD pass to cut their lead to 3 with under 2 minutes to go. I force a 3 and out and get the ball back. On my next drive, I see that Forcier is no longer in the game. I check it out and his questionable stomach injury is now a 2 week shoulder bruise. (n) In the end, the true FR #3 QB couldn't get it done and I lost 37-34.

I thought this was really cool though. I was given the choice to play him and I did and he got the job done (Reward). But he ended up hurting himself even worse so now he won't play against aOSU for the 2nd year in a row (Risk).
    If you're desparate (like I was), then it's probably worth the gamble (especially if it's late in the season). One interesting thing of note is that I was never told of his injury. The only way I noticed was because I didn't see him in the play calling screen. His final play was his TD pass and I never even noticed him getting hurt

2. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Really interesting, thanks for posting.

So you go into the injury report, and when you select the guy it will ask you in you want to force him in?

In my case, it's my #2HB. If I do nothing, my #3 guy will just be the first sub in. If I go into the injury screen and do something, then #2 will be active in that spot? Do I have it right?

3. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Yep. That's how it works. If you look at the injury report, I think it even says at the bottom that "A" will substitute him in the game. He'll then show up in his normal depth chart spot.

4. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Yep I've used this for a while in crucial situations where my backup just wasn't cutting it. I'm pretty sure its been in the game for a while. However, just like you mentioned its a roll of the dice because the risk of further injury is so high. Also, most times the player will lose some of their ability whether it be speed, agility, etc.

5. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Very interesting...I had no idea.

6. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I was wondering about that too. I remember in prior versions of the game you could play a guy who was questionable/probable, but in addition to the risk of further injury his attributes would be lowered. I think they even used to show you what the impact was in their ratings.

7. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Worked just like you guys said it would. Thanks!

Although the guy fumbled his first carry, so he rode the bench the rest of the game. But I think it might come in handy for making sure Golden Tate plays in the bowl game.