Subs

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by natedawg212000, Feb 22, 2010.

1. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

Subs

Ok, do we start a new rule/structure where we don't play CPU games unless just absolutely necessary? It would be more work, but I am willing to try something to make this better.

2. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

This is a tough area.. For example this week I'm playing the Cards. He's not a great player but what if he couldn't make his game or quit the league right before our game. I don't think I should have to play someone else is is good at madden. I feel it's a bit too unfair. If we do subs we should have some players like Winuvas, Weblink, Maybe myself who aren't going 14-2 or 12 -4 in a season. Reguardless of what we decided I will support it.

3. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

No offense to Web or Winuvas.

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

lol....none taken, Claven. I wouldn't mind being an official substitute player, actually. Would give me some experience in madden (plus), a change of scenery for a week (plus), and also would give me a chance to analyze games from a different perspective. I would find it challenging, but very fun.

Although, to follow up Claven's point, it really may not be fair to sub in for a guy like rcf33 (no offense to him but he's not a great Madden player right now) with a guy like myself (who is better than rcf33 but still not quite there yet) or anyone for that matter.

it would just depend on the standards we would set I guess.

5. natedawg212000

ah. i think each owner should be responsible for finding their own sub. that way they can find someone they 'want' to play

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Should we give the person being subbed in for a vote in this? Cause, to be fair, if I can sub in the Cardinals owner for my week's opponent, I would do it in a heartbeat.

7. natedawg212000

imo, its the same as getting a 'sucky' owner to play you every week. i mean if you need a sub then its your right to get whoever you want.

8. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Dang. That is a good comeback. I got nothing. lol

9. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I am in favor of putting a list of 2-3 guys to be our OMFL official subs. It would have to be owners that have been in the league for a while.While I do agree it would not be fair to allow our top players to be in this list, I do not agree we should allow owners to find their own subs. If that would be the case, just play the CPU.

Some might argue that it wouldnt be fair to have to play a sub that is better than their original opponent but I say tough nuggies. This league is not built on free wins.
    This will only make us stronger in the end.

10. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I would agree with that, Jeremy. That sounds like a solid compromise type of situation.

11. Big D

Big D Walk On

You guys are treading down a very slippery slope here. How do we deal with issues like if a sub player just lays down and allows the other guy to win? Let's say I'm gone during my week 16 game against the Titans. Let's say the only sub you can find is OBWhite....now what do you think would happen there?

Just one example of many issues I can come up with. I'd almost say we are better just playing the CPU. Its not going to happen that often in this league anyways.

My other suggestion would be if we do end up going to a sub system, that the team who is absent gets to pick the sub for themselves. So in the example above I could say I want Gaddy or Mustang to fill in for me. The conference prez would need to approve the sub. This way we don't get, say, RCF leaving and subbing in Mustang every time he's gone. Claven could deny that and ask for a more equitable sub.

12. Jeremy

The list would have to be made up of 2-3 trusted and respected owners that would not "Lay down".

Also,if we allow owners to pick their subs, owners WILL NOT choose good or even average players as subs for their games.

Whos to say that a sub and the owner wont have a deal to allow for the win anyways.

IMO, we have two options here. Just stick with playing CPU or we as a board come up with a 3 player sub list.

13. natedawg212000

ive got a TON to say, but i dont have time. i'll post tonight. i've got a ton of experience with this in my madden past year. WE MUST do subs imo. i'll post later

14. Big D

Big D Walk On

I have lots to say, but I won't. This should be a rules committee issue. I don't want to start another board argument. The rules committee should be the ones discussing this mainly. According to the new system you need to unanimously approve any rule change...so a 3-0 vote by Nate, Win, and Jeremy.

I'm sure the rest of us will be happy with the system you design.

15. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

lol...I completely forgot about the rules committee system. How bad is that?

Nate, Jeremy, and I can talk about it once Nate rings in with his suggestions later tonight.

16. weblink21

weblink21 Walk On

No offense taken Claven. I am aware of my skill level at this time. haha

I wouldn't mind the extra practice against sim players to get better. I play online right now for practice, but it is 50/50 getting a game I can actually stomach playing. A game against me is almost like a game against the CPU.

17. natedawg212000

ok, first and foremost there shouldn't be ANY subs or CPU games. Let's knock out the first argument, anyone who takes time out of their life to play as a sub is not just going to NOT play to win. Even if it were the worse player in the league, it would be like playing the CPU. In year 2 of this franchise and all of our skill level, CPU games are free wins. I've done the sub system, where owners who need their own subs find their own subs for the past 10 years - it works! As a owner, there's no WAY I am going to play the best player in the league if i need a sub, and there's no way we should punish owners who need to have a sub by making them play super duper good players. The other team doesn't show up they shouldn't get a free win by having a stud player sub for them, if we start doing that then there will be magically people sick during big games for playoff positions. If a owner wants to take time to play as a sub, set the time up, show up and do all the hard work, then we should allow them to sub. I dont like the 3 player rule where we pick 3 guys, because what if I find out I need a sub 2 days before we advance, and those 3 guys can't play during my time, then I suffer? It should be they can play anyone that doesn't have any benefit from losing and that has their game already done or scheduled. That's my 2 cents. From my past in Madden, that system works. I'd be for just playing the CPU before I start telling guys who the HAVE to play against.

18. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

Makes sense Nate. What if you dont get a sub or your sub doesn't show?

19. natedawg212000

no sub = sim. If your sub doesn't show then you find another or if you just CANT get a sub and no one is free, then we allow CPU games. It doesn't have to be my way, I just wanted to give my 2 cents of what i've seen in the past. You want this to be as least amount of work on everyone as possible, and its stress free if we just let guys pick their own subs with some guidelines from us as to who may and may not sub. I was in a rush last night, so I am sorry if my other post is difficult to read, LOL. One thing we need to keep in mind, this should be very few and far between. We should NOT have many subs or CPU games - period.

20. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

The only question I have about this sub system is who will monitor it? Will the player have to petition for it? It sounds like a lot of work for maybe a handful of games a year. I would rather just have people play the CPU then have to find a sub or else. Know what I mean?

21. natedawg212000

I don't know winuvas. I don't know that it has to be 'monitored'. They simply find a board member online when they find their sub and get permission. No biggie imo. I just know guys are tired and some won't play the CPU. It throws off timing, it throws off your game, it no one came here to play the CPU. Look I am in a tight division and trying to win it to get to the playoffs, I'd take a free CPU win any day, but I feel it would be better to take a little extra time and just find a sub. If I can't find a sub then I play the CPU, no harm no foul.

22. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

That was my biggest question. The way you worded it originally, if a person could not/did not want to find a sub, it would be a straight sim. Would the owner that can play have to at least attempt to find a sub? I like the sub idea, but if it were to become a "rule", I would want to know all the logistics behind it.

Since you and Jeremy both have more experience online I'm willing to listen to what ideas you two have.

23. natedawg212000

if they don't want a sub then its a straight sim. If they can't get a sub then they can play the CPU last min.

24. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. So what's to stop me as an owner from saying, "I tried to find a sub, board. Honest. Can I just play CPU?"

25. Jeremy

Good question Win..

I suspect we will hear this alot. I am still unclear if we will make the act of finding a sub mandatory or just heavily suggested.