SUGGESTIONS THREAD

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by natedawg212000, Oct 16, 2009.

1. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

SUGGESTIONS THREAD

Guys, I see that I've had a few discussions with a few owners about rules, settings and I game play.

I just want to start a thread where your thoughts can be heard. Now if this breaks out into world war 3 then I'll end it, but this really isn't 'my way or the high way'. now there are a few things I just don't feel like I need to budge on unless a good argument is shown my way. Cutting down our work here and what we are currently doing is not a good way to handle this. Giving me instances where my rules are hurting the league more than helping or my setting or whatever, then I'll listen.

So with this thread its open to any suggestions you want the board to discuss about things you feel would help the league.

2. Big D

Big D Walk On

I know we have briefly discussed this on another thread but I'd like to perhaps get into this in more detail.

I'd like to perhaps make a rule regarding off season free agents/resignings. Just like in the real NFL where parity rules. . .it is very hard to 'stockpile' talent. . .atleast for any period of time. That is unless you are a super genious (see Patrios) with the salary cap.

How about something like as follows:
    -Each team is allowed to 'franchise' a certain number of players in each rating 'zone'. . .such as you can franchise (meaning you keep the players automatically) X number of players in certain rating zones.
    -An example would be you can franchise 4 players 90-99, 10 players 80-89, 10 players 70-79, and 15 players under 70. ----these numbers are arbitrary. . .you'd have to do some research to get good numbers
    -Every player who is NOT franchised at the end of the season would go into free agency. This would create the BIG week or so of off season free agency like there is in the real NFL, and I think would make nice touch on our league.

I think the above idea would be fairly simple to impliment. You would have a deadline for people to post their 'franchise list'. AFter that deadline everybody else is released to free agency where the normal bidding begins. (For teams without an owner at this time, you would auto franchise the top players in each bracket and release the rest)

Furthermore, I think this would help keep the pairty in this league. . .and truly make trading/drafting more strategic and important.

Also, there is nothing to say if you have say 10 players who are all above 90 you couldn't keep them. . .you'd just have to be willing to pay good 'money' for them when open free agency starts.

I love this idea, and I'd like thoughts from everybody, epecially the board and commish. Hopefully we can do something like this during our first offseason.

3. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Turn off fight for the fumble please.

4. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I would suggest instead of keeping X number of guys, teams would be forced to release X number of guys.
    Each team would be required to release:
    1-90+
    1-80+
    2-70+

Unless it has changed the game will only let you get down to 50+- players. So if we began releasing players into the FA pool but still having to keep them on roster to meet Madden minimum could get a little messy especially if each team would have to release 15 or so players. I think forcing each team to drop 3-4 players into the pool each year would make it interesting enough and also allow us to keep the nucleus of our team..Thats about 130 new players to bid on..All at least 70 or so plus ovr...Could get interesting:)

5. Big D

Big D Walk On

That's true. But I don't think it would be right (or fair) to make a rebuilding franchise with only 1 or 2 90+ players to drop them back into the pool. (For instance, let's say hypothetically Oakland only had N. Asomugha rated above 90.....well he is a 99....probably not right to 'force' Oakland to drop him).

The numbers I posted were just for reference. Nate or whoever can get deeper into things to make sure we can keep enough players to stay above the Madden minimum.

It seems tho we agree something needs to be done about off-season resignings to make them more 'realistic' in this sim league.

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

The Madden minimum is 45 players. Our roster size minimum is 53. What we could do is at the end of a season make a rule stating that all teams have to be at 45 players after the season is over. This would mean at least 8 cuts for all teams (some up to 10 like myself). This would release at least 256 players into free agency. Now, these numbers don't take into account retirements, so bear with me.

Of those cuts to get down to 45 maximum, you could have a rule stating certain ranges of players have to be cut. Or you could do a very simple points in cap to be cut. For example, could say have to cut 50 points in cap space among the players to be cut. That could mean 8 players at 6 points each (puts a lot of 70-76 players in the pile), a big 90+ guy at 10 plus a couple of scrub 59-69 guys at 4 points each...you get the idea. Every team would have a thread, just like with team front office, of players released in off-season that would need to be checked for numbers by board members as well as viability of cuts (example: cutting just scrub players won't do). Those players would then be able to be bid on the following season just like we did with pre-season here, and all teams can bid (so you could cut a player and then TRY to get him back).

The only thing I could see getting in the way would be free agent signings as our rules state. We might have to look at that rule if we thought about something like this.

Keep in mind that some people don't like super management like what I'm talking about. I do, but I'm a numbers nerd. ;)

7. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

The only problem i see with this is my team for example is very young but talented why they are high 88-93 with 4 years or less and 25 years old..so i have to kill my young team because of these rules?

8. Big D

Big D Walk On

I like it. With the points cap cut idea above, the only issue I would see is players mass signing scrubs towards the end of the season so they could just release them to count towards their "number".

Perhaps a hybrid of the three ideas here would work. I'd like to keep it as simple as possible while still implementing something solid.

Perhaps having an "offseason" salary cap that would be like 250 or so. In other words at the beginning of the offseason you must get your cap down below 250 (or whatever number we decide). You can cut whoever you want to get to this number. This would solve the scrub signing issue I mentioned before, and would still generate some solid talent in free agency. Benefits I see of this system would be:
    1) Allows players the freedom to cut who they see fit without being 'forced' to cut anybody'
    2) Rewards players for being cap efficient during the season and maintaining a low cap number. . .the lower it is during the season the fewer people you'd have to cut.
    3) Would lead to much of the scrub talent likely being dropped. . .but since this is a sim league what scrubs are signed to multiyear deals anyways in reality?
    4) Again would likely lead to a good amount of solid talent, and maybe even an elite player or two. . .but wouldn't 'force' cuts upon anybody.

9. natedawg212000

humm. all good ideas we can talk about. I disagree with destorying teams. I have no problem with putting a limit on how many 90 plus players you have where you have to release some if over that number every offseason, but I donno. Lets keep talking, theres plenty of time to figure this out.

i took dont 'like' the fight for the fumble, but imo it does happen in the real game and if your player jumps on it way ahead of others then its pretty easy to keep it. if two guys jump on it at the same time then its pretty even.

If the league feels its a issue then ill gladly take it off, but if not ill leave it on. either way, i am personally fine about it.

i like the discussion guys, lets just please keep it civial (like it is now).

I don't really like the idea of having a 'offseason' cap but the other ideas or things we can run with. I dont see how ANYONE could sign 'scruffs' because we make you keep your roster at 53 and the madden max is 55 so thats only 2 'scruffs' they could sign.

I want it to be realistic, but its very rare where a player in the 90s doesnt stay on his team (unless he's pissed off or a idiot and the team's tired of him). Teams have to pay dearly to trade for a 90's player or sign a good free agent, I don't want to punish them by making them cut those players.

I do like the idea of figuring out how many and of what level we should make people cut. such as 2 70 plus and 1 80s plus. this gives you 64 70s plus players and 32 80s plus players all in fa's. Which imo is more than the real NFL.

You also gotta remember that as players progress their cap is refigured each year so peoples cap number will go up and some teams will have to shuffle (like me if my cap moves more than 2 pts). I think some of this will happen naturally.

10. Big D

Big D Walk On

I have to disagree that 90+ 'rarely' change teams. Just this past 1.5 seasons you have these 90+ changing hands:

-TJ Housh
    -Albert Hanesworth
    -Richard Seymour
    -Lorenzo Neal
    -Tony Gonzalez
    -Shaun Rogers
    -Kris Jenkins
    -Michael Turner
    -Josh Brown
    -Jason Elam
    -Marcus Stroud
    -Lorenzo Neal
    -Donnie Jones
    -Bart Scott
    -Adalius Thomas
    -Darren Shaper
    -Brian Dawkins

And of course that's not counting all those who filed for free agency but stayed with their orginal teams.

That said I realize this is a game and you are allowed to run it however you'd like. Just thought something like what we were discussing above might add some spice to the league.

11. natedawg212000

sdunlap, I am not saying we WONT. I think its worth discussing. Problem with those players are MOST of those guys are way up in age. I have no problem figuring out something that works and is realistic, but i dont wanna start robbing teams of their young studs that they have worked hard to get. I personally think that we can come up with a good system if we keep plugging away at it and the cap will also help take care of some of this naturally. Lets keep discussing.
    What about an age limit? Lets say if you have more than 2 90+s players of the age of 30 or over, you must release 1.

12. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

The younger close to or above 90 guys rarely change teams unless they get moved / traded.

Its the up in age 90+ guys that you see move on. Haynesworth being the exception and there are others I am aware of that.

For the most part teams hang on to the younger core players be it with tags or large contracts.

Please turn off fight for the fumble. :D

13. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I never like the idea of "forcing" players to be cut. That's not very realistic in my opinion. I think cutting a certain number of your cap in players to get down to 45 would work either way. Think of balance:

Team A has five or six 94+ players at 15 points each. They cut "scrubs": guys in the 69 and below range, to get to 45 players. They still pay for those big players; however, they have NO depth as they have no cap room to sign any quality depth since they are tied up in great players. Sure, they got star power, but what happens when Peyton Manning goes down?

And remember one key thing about the rule of 45 from earlier: whatever cap number to cut is listed, the team would be required to cut a minimum of those amount of points. So if we set the cap cut to 50 points, and a team had to cut 8 players, they could not cut eight 6 point players as that would equal 48 and not meet the minimum. You could EXCEED the minimum, but not come under it.

Regardless, I think everyone's concerns about "superteams" with tons of 90_ players is a bit much. The cap will keep everything in line if the cap is reasonable. Like now. Any superteams out there? Not really.

Maybe I'm off base, but I think the idea has merit.

14. natedawg212000

ok, for the first time i have to admit, I am confused by your idea bobby. the league minimum is 53 players which forces people to use their cap. Why would I change that to 45? I am just lost after that part of the statement.

15. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

i like the idea of the other league i am in...take a look at this

Each season teams will also have to release 1 player to FA who is better than the average of the team's 10 highest rated players.

ex) Bears 95,93,93,91,88,88,87,86,86,86 = 89.3 Avg

The Bears would have to release 1 player with a 90 or above rating

ex) Colts 99,97,96,94,93,93,92,90,89,89 = 93.2 Avg

The Colts would have to release 1 player rated 94 or above

This will guarantee each year that at least 32 highly rated players will be available in FA.

Once all teams have released their 1 mandatory FA they will also release at least 3 players to help fill the FA market. Each team will be required to release:

- 1 player rated 60+

- 1 player rated 70+

- 1 player rated 80+

this will allow lower rated teams to release players that are not 90's...i dont like the average of 10 players...i like 12-13 players...but this will allow our Free agency to consist of more players...and it will be easy to keep up with...and if this enforced i would be willing to do the averages of the players for the league...

this will bring more top free agents to the free agency without complications...

16. natedawg212000

interesting thought.

17. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

Most the top players right now are over 30 so most are going to start declining in a bit...the best idea i have to go along with this is teams get to franchise 4 players on thier team a year...and ones that are not the next 4-5 top players availiable players on your team can be bid on..but they dont have to be released...so lets say the browns bid on Randy Moss because he wasnt franchised and the Patriots counter bid to keep him...his total if he is keep will go up a bit..mabey not the whole point total if it went up to 40 but mabey he is worth 20 points agaist the patriots cap now which means moss just got a bigger contract to stay, makes players have to balance who they want to keep and risk losing to bigger paydays. The players who were franchised cant be bid on for two seasons like a two year contract and also players won...have to figure it out to have it alternating.

18. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

Also to go with my idea...one player over 87+ who is 30+ has to be released into the pool each years...team can try and buy them back but gives other teams chance to get talent also

19. Big D

Big D Walk On

I think we all have come up with pretty good ideas here. . .good discussion.

Perhaps the board members should take our ideas and discuss privately and put to a vote? Im sure we all would be happy as long as something got hammered out.

20. natedawg212000

my problem is that this will happen for a certain player or players year after year after year, and thats just not realistic. Honestly guys in most madden leagues there NEVER was a huge franchise guy available each and every year.

21. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Hey Nate, this is the post I was referring to with the "rule of 45". I think something like this combined with having to cut at least a player of the value of your top 10-13 players in the cut down to 45 would work to make a lively free agent market each year.

Does that clear confusion?

On the plus side I'm very happy with the amount of discussion on this idea that has stayed clean and civil. Good to see a lot of "adult" discussion about a game. (y)

22. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

If you want more pairty in the league then its very very very simple. Lower the cap.
    Id vote with whatever the league majority is for the sole purpose that this is the most active league ive EVER seen in the amount of people on this message boards. Id also agree with whoever said turn off fight for the fumble, just a gimmick EA did for the purpose of freshing it up.

And just my opinion on the saying there is no young resh talent in the free agency pool.
    NFL players arnt just free agents, they are restricted and unrestricted free agents, Anyone can make a bid for you BUT you must give your current team a chance to sign you where if you a good player, teams ussuallly resign the players. If a team doesnt want that player or the player has pissed the team off (owens, moss, etc) they will trade them for a low pick instead of just releasing them. i think. Talent just doesnt just end up in the FA pool, someone trades a 7 rounder for it.

23. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

People have to also remember the bottom teams will improve threw the draft, with potential and rght picks there are stars there

24. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I like cadepettys idea.

25. natedawg212000

bigox thats a good idea. To give each team a number of overall players that they can release. Each team gets a franchise tag, 2 restricted tags, and the rest are free game.
    Such as 2 90s players, 3 80s players, and 4 70s players. They can use those cap figures but if they us the franchise tag they have to sign that player to an average of the top 10 players salary at that position (which will make it high due to some of these crazy amounts that fa's are getting). 2 restricted tags can be used and if anyone puts a bid on them they have to match it or let it go.