Surprises and Disappointments for 2011 season.

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by AndyVanSlyke, Aug 13, 2011.

1. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Which team will surprise people and end up in the BCS talk?
    Bulldog will love me here. But I am gonna say MSU. I really like Dan Mullen.
    I also like Texas to rebound.

Which team will disappoint?
    LSU. Not a believer in Jordan Jefferson. Tough schedule to boot.

Breakout star?
    Chris Relf.

Heisman hopeful that will disappoint?
    Darron Thomas, Oregon.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TJM

TJM Walk On

Hopefully the Longhorn Network is a disruption for Texas. Mack Brown isnt to happy with all the access so far.

I also believe MSU is gonna be on the up the next years.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BulldogBully

BulldogBully Whiskey Slinger

If they're would've been a "love it" button, I would have clicked it!

4. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

Prediction: Dan Mullen brought up on charges of seducing his hairless pre-pubescent nephew and leading to inappropriate touch through massage. You know its coming.

5. BulldogBully

BulldogBully Whiskey Slinger

Dammit Matt Mullen!!!

6. TJM

TJM Walk On

Missouri not interested. FSU and Clemson up next. Both good fits to me.

7. vatechhokie01

this is all so speculative, lmao. havent heard a damn thing about missouri and if ANYONE is listening to gottlieb and ESPN you are clueless. everything i have heard continues to say that there is zero chance in hell SEC wants or will look at fsu and clemson, nor have they offered missouri. hilarious shitshow and no one... absolutely no one has a clue what is going on.

8. vatechhokie01

but be sure, ESPN has about destroyed all credibility for any real form of journalism. they have about a 20% success rate with any story "breaking" and have absolutely become nothing more than a money seeking Enquirer magazine type news site. They are ALL about starting fires to get readers without a damn lick of accurate information. horrid journalism and they are HATED by the journalism community to be sure... but they dont give an F cuz they have so much freaking power.

9. vatechhokie01

but history and precedent shows slive is one hell of a commissioner and he ALWAYS works with unanimous or near-unanimous vote and it is beyond well documented that Fl, Ga, and SC have a sworn pact to never vote in another school from one of their states (i.e. clemson, ga tech, flast). again, this with zero new tv markets means little chance.

im gonna laugh when all of a sudden its like oklahoma and ok st, but am already laughing at the though of Missouri "declining" an offer.. yea right! why the hell would they decline? lmao. no. way. in. hell. they'd kiss some ass to get in!

10. TJM

TJM Walk On

11. TJM

TJM Walk On

That above was to fuel your further hate for ESPN

12. TJM

TJM Walk On

"pacts" this is not your treehouse club, this is millions close to billions of dollars that will be speaking. Pacts will not hold a conference back from larger amounts of revenue. No loyalty in college football, which is a business.

13. TJM

TJM Walk On

but if its a unanimous vote for these schools then your prob. right. If Florida does not gain anything then they will say no. But if in the business of all of this, the SEC determines a larger portion of revenue to each individual SEC school as a result of bringing in FSU, the board of directors for Florida will most likely say yes. Money talks over "pacts." Especially since the landscape of CFB is rapidly changing. If its not gonna happen now, itll prob. happen in the near future.

14. vatechhokie01

first of all, im the first (as most VT fans) to admit we are the biggest underachiever... no news there...

as for the expansion talk, all im gonna say is this:
    -as a diehard VT fan, i have obvoiusly spent more time than is even close to reasonable reading boards, articles, blogs, tweets and information from every team, source, and mediat you think of and if I am sure of anything it is that no one has a clue what is going on, ESPECAILLY not Doug f-ing Gottlieb, lmao

In the last 3 days, I have read absolutely rocksolid official, honest, certain, and way high-up sources confidentally claim the following factual information:
    -SEC will never ask FSU and Clemson
    -SEC will ask FSU and Clemson tomorrow
    -SEC has already asked FSU and Clemson
    -VT has an invite and will decline
    -VT has an invite and will agree to next year
    -VT will never ever get an invite
    -Joe Paterno is gay
    -Bob Stoops likes she-males
    -Doug Gottlieb and ESPN have integrity
    -about a trillion other things that are certain

And again, to be sure, in the world of sources and actually breaking stories, ESPN has about the least credibility or track-record you could possibly imagine. all that said, some things make sense and when money is involved, adding no new tv markets makes little and same-state teams hurts recruiting while opening new markets generates unthinkable revenue and offers a ridiculous opportunity for new teams to thrive in recruiting and building programs

i say they add A&M and thats it this year... thats my new take. but who the hell knows? no one. maybe slive. maybe.

15. TJM

TJM Walk On

lol I am on forums, blogs, and on Hootsuite with multiple streams setup to follow CFB. I frequent other teams boards too quite often. As far as ESPN goes, I usually just go to check the scores. ESPN is only good for high-level info. Blogs, forums, and Hootsuite for the rest.

A&M is a no brainer for the SEC, but supposedly they are really concerned with having 13 schools instead of 14 to continue breaking up the conference and having a championship game.

Back in the day, 50-60s, Florida has been extremely supportive of FSU joining the SEC, when the SEC denied FSUs request. FSU turned down the SEC when Booby came to town and got them on track. Supposedly then SEC was extremely arrogant in his approach and FSU had a grudge for the previous turn-aways. Then ACC commissioner came to FSU and gave a warm welcome.

Adding no new TV markets does not make sense, but I am quite sure we do not know how the whole business of conference expansion really works. So since they add Texas market with A&M, but since they have the market they turn down Texas if that were to happen?

16. TJM

TJM Walk On

If all were talking about is TV markets, so then what southern schools would make sense other than VT? NC school, Oklahoma, Missouri? They are prob. gonna run into double up tv markets if they plan to expand to 16

17. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

what can I say, I am enticing even when I dont mean to be

18. vatechhokie01

i guess we shall see. def think FSU is still a player because of sheer size/eliteness, etc... not as much towards clemson. and if i have a bet, it would be that Missouri is literally way down the pecking order and not much of a shot.

we shall see. but the SEC is def not is some immediate 1-yr rush to add a 14th so they have even confs? they want even to be sure, but i guarantee they will do due diligence and take a yr of 13 to make the right move. this is still my guess. a&m first, others later.

19. vatechhokie01

but yes, i believe tv deals to be god. and any argument from the past has nothing to do with this, cuz conf tv contracts and the mega-millions is a new thing and only growing to be sure. doesnt mean it is the only factor, but it is by far and away the most lucrative and obvoius.

this said, i think we will all be the absolute first to agree that whatever goes down will be whatever brings the most money for the SEC... period. And they know what they are doing.

20. TJM

TJM Walk On

You must be reading Outkick the Coverage

21. TJM

TJM Walk On

Yeah I believe the SEC is fine going 1 year without 14 teams, so I've read from non-ESPN writers, bloggers, and trolls

22. TJM

TJM Walk On

TV deals are huge. Look for more massive schools that can to follow the Longhorn Network, if they are not indepedent and/or their conference allows it. Even though the contracts might not be as lucrative as the ESPN/Longhorn network.

23. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

I am in no way as into this as you guys. Sure I read the main headings but I don't know a bunch beyond that. So here are a few questions...

1. Is this purely football driven?
    If so I don't see chancellors at ACC schools switching conferences over 1 sport. If I am correct, this isn't the Athletic Departments call to make, but the Boards and the Chancellor. Chancellors aren't gonna risk losing their jobs over football and breaking relationships with chancellors among other member schools. In A&M's case and even Mizzou, they need to do something, because it is clear that the Big xii is dying. Them jumping is much less risky.

2. Most ACC members pride themselves on the Academic side as well. Will this factor into FSU and Clemson's decisions if invited to the SEC? The ACC is the top academic BCS conference in the nation. Chancellors at these universities take great pride in these things.

3. If the SEC is adding A&M, which I am guessing is a done deal, wouldn't they prefer to continue expanding west? If they enter Texas, wouldn't it be more prudent to get into Oklahoma and Missouri as opposed to double dipping into South Carolina and Florida.

24. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

I also just don't see the ACC losing schools right now.

When looking at the director's cup standings, the ACC placed 4 schools in the top 9 (duke, carolina, virginia, fsu) in 2010-11

Overall, i believe that the ACC is the strongest all around sports conference in the country. I am not an idiot and realize that football drives departments, but the folks that run the schools take this stuff very seriously.

25. vatechhokie01

personally, , i think academics factors in. but not much!

but yes i think college fball is in fact that much god and no, i dont think other sports factor in one bit. and with a brother as a woman's soccer coach in a perennial top 25 school in his sport, he would be the first to say the same. college bball is clearly 2nd and it is both WAY behind football and WAY ahead of the other sports, and even then, i dont think bball gets one lick of care in these things.

i mean come on... we are in America. money. money. money. sad but true. and there just isnt much of another argument. and even the academics would say they'd love more money cuz money does stuff.

but to go even further, no, i dont think the fsus, vts, clemsons, and missouris of the world, all fine academic institutions but not the elite of the elite... would choose academics over money. but again, one thing that is seldom talked about and no one seems to really know and that raises a good question is...

who even makes the final decisions? if its solely a chancellors call, hell, anything could happen according to one idiot's whims. but if its, and im guessing this is the case, a board of regents (all tied HEAVILY to money), then i imagine it goes the money direction every time.

i literally imagine the boards of schools getting together and saying, welp Plan A increases our revenue this much but we would lose this much potentially by this decision and plan B increases our revenue this much but we would lose this much potentially by this decision. Ok, which number is bigger?

again, in America, not sure it gets much more complicated than that.