Surprises/Disappointments

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by JCspartan2, Apr 1, 2011.

1. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Now that we have played a couple seasons with our own recruited players, have there been any surprises or disappointments among your recruits that have stood out?

I've got a couple that I will post up tonight.

2. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I am surprised at how well Mike Herron has progressed. He was a nice pick up to give me some versatility but he is a try #1 WR now.

3. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Hmm, I haven't been here that long, so I don't really have many. Jeff Bonner really surprised me, as I really didn't think he would be anything special just glancing at his attributes. He contributed a lot to the team's success last year, and is even better this year.

4. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

I guess my biggest surprise was QB David Lucas, who entered as a 4 star 81 overall true freshman. He backed up EJ Manuel his 1st year, but started the next 2. He had huge progression and finished as a 99 overall.

The biggest disappointment has been DE James Jamison. Took a redshirt as a 80, now as a rsSenior is only a 91 despite being a 4 year starter. I think he has 14 sacks for his career, his is pathetic IMO.

5. fuzzyl0gic

Wow that is pretty shitty progression for a guy coming in at 80 OVR. Did he lack speed/block shedding abilities or something?

6. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

His speed is excellent, 91 I think. He was average every where else and never got much better. I was looking last night, he is the highest rated RE in the country right now though.

7. fuzzyl0gic

Jeez that is one fast DE.

8. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

Cause my rsSO, Steve Martinez, is only a 90 overall lol. I recruited that guy out of Indiana as a :4stars: over Michigan and he has progressed nicely. This is his first year starting and so far so good.

One other nice surprise I've had was :4stars: WR Mark Smith. He graduated last year, but had a hell of a progression. He was in the first recruiting class and came in at a 65. He left as our #1 WR and a 93 overall.

One disappointment I've had was :4stars: CB Omar Cole. He was ranked the #9 CB and came in at 73 overall. Now in his senior year he's only 81 and I swear I curse his name at least once a game lol.

9. AJ Hart MN

AJ Hart MN Marseille - TFL Season 1 Champions

Joel Coleman - I don't know what he came in at as he was a RS Freshman when I took over but he wasn't all that great. Now, 3 years later, he's leading the way for the Heisman Trophy. Dude is an absolute beast!! He'll either run over you or around you. I think he's around a 92 or 93 speed but that 99 break tackle is what set's him apart.

QB Andy Wesley - He came in as a 79. Now as a RS Sophomore, he's already a 93! He is deadly accurate and I've been putting up my best QB numbers ever with him. I was complaining last year how I could never get a kid over the 160 QB rating.. Well, this guy is sitting around 210. Those are Gators and Dakota numbers :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Biggest surprise for me has been QB Nick Dickens. When I recruited this kid it was solely for the purpose of giving Richardson a backup and building some depth at the QB position. He came in with high 80's speed and was a very poor passer, low 80's/high 70's. Even when Richardson graduated, I had Pearson coming in as a freshman and I thought for sure Pearson would end up starting over Dickens. Well, the upperclassmen had other plans. Playing in a time share to open their first season together, Dickens quickly proved he was the man for the job. The rest is history.

Dickens went on to win a heisman, experience mvp, a national championship, and he has not lost a game as a starter yet. He's a strong passer and his athleticism has sky rocketed. For coming on campus with high 80s speed, he's now a 93 or 95 speed guy. Maybe the best QB I've ever recruited.

Two other surprises:

FS Chris Britt

I think he was in the 2nd recruiting class. He was a FS with A+ man cover skills. He's probably the #1 reason I won the national championship the last two seasons due to the versatility he gave us on defense.

OLB Sterling Long

Freshman this season from last years class he was an offseason signing that was an afterthought. He came on campus and is starting as a true freshman. He has B range coverage skills and will be a big component of our defense over the remainder of this dynasty.

11. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

My current QB, JT Austin, is quite a surprise for me. He was a 4-star recruit a few seasons back but was really more of a filler guy. I never expected him to star, especially once I signed 5-star Nicolas Brunner a couple seasons ago. Fast forward 3 seasons and JT has progressed at least 5 points overall each season and turned into a 95-overall stud.

My biggest surprise, which I have already posted previously, was WR Marc Williams who was a 2-star CB recruit. At the time of his freshman year I had NO receivers that had good catch ratings. Williams actually had the best hands so I moved him to WR. He started in the slot and led the team in receptions. He went on to be 93 ovr at WR and break the records for career receptions and yards.

My biggest disappointments have been my WR recruits. I've signed a lot of 4-stars but very few of them have developed decent hands and it's difficult to put them in games when they can't catch the ball.