Swami Sez - Coming Down the Stretch...

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Keller, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

[​IMG]

Its time to feed you baby birds again - someone else needs to step up the content though SRSLY! We're seeing some hellacious battles - teams pulling away from the pack and former contenders fall from grace. In this edition we'll again look at each division and talk about some of the teams but I also want to put out some early nomination Polls for the various awards we'll be doing this season. Lets get to it. Make sure you crank up the music to really get the blood flowing.​

[​IMG]

AFC EAST
    Out of the dumpster and into the limelight. Its been an up and down season for the Buffalo Bills but last weeks win over the rival Miami Dolphins has me stirring up old sayings and emotions. NOBODY CIRCLES THE WAGONS LIKE THE BUFFALO BILLS.

This division will still end up being one of the hottest divisions, all the way down to the wire. The Jets, Dolphins and Bills are all deadlocked, trying to pull away. The Jets haven't been the same team with their head coach battling various ailments that have kept him away from the team. The Patriots just aren't quite the powerhouse of yesteryear and the Dolphins have quietly been competing but they cant seem to find their stride. ONWARD!

AFC NORTH
    A division I expected to be hotly contested, this is the Bengals show right now. Baltimore and Tony Romo are nipping at their heels but Pittsburgh and the Browns have largely been out of it. Maybe its a testament to how tough the AFC and this division is but I expected these teams to be closer, more like the AFC East. I still think this division can go to the Ravens, but they've got an uphill battle. Early MVP candidate Dallas Strong has fallen off the radar, he will need to make a strong comeback in order for the Ravens to get back into the picture. Meanwhile LeSean McCoy has emerged and will look to shatter major rushing records for TDs and yardage. Maybe he is the new MVP candidate out of this division.

AFC SOUTH
    Another division I expected big things from, Tennessee has proved they are the team to beat in the South this year. The Jaguars were the early favorite but following an investigation into their illegal defensive practices, they have lost 3 out of their last 4 games. I expect the Jags to still make the wildcard at 8-3 currently, leaving just one more spot open in the AFC outside of the division winners. The other could come from this division as well - the Colts have been playing well as of late and the while the Texans have seemingly been out of it for most of the season, few teams can match their talent on both sides of the ball. I expect the Texans to rebound a bit, but it may be too little too late. A lot will depend on schedules down the stretch too, so it will be interesting to watch.

AFC WEST
    Formerly the most boring division in football, San Diego has emerged as top dog in this division. Kansas City is likely too far back to try and win the division, so they will have to rely on one of the highly contested Wildcard spots in the AFC. They are neck and neck with about 6 other teams so these last few weeks will be mighty interesting for the Chiefs. MVP of this division has to go to Phillip Rivers - who has reemerged as an elite QB in this league; he is the highest rated QB in the league with a rating of 121.8, second in the league in yards compiling over 2900 yards.

[​IMG]
    NFC EAST
    The NFC has largely become a ghost town and the NFC East has caught the worst of it. The Redskins coach has been missing for several weeks and no one else in the division is even competitive. The Giants, Cowboys and Eagles are all haplessly drifting down the river with 3 wins apiece. The Giants are sporting a 2 game win streak however, so there are signs of life but it may be too little too late. Should the Redskins coach return, there may be a contender in this group but without them this division has some rebuilding to do. My pick for next year? Philadelphia.​
    NFC NORTH
    The Calvin Johnson's have done it again. They are cruising right now, riding high after a huge win over the Jacksonville Jaguars. They have a big lead in the division right now so I am officially calling this race at the end of week 12. Detroit is in and Chicago will be fighting for a wildcard. The arrival of QBs Tim Tebow and Peter Tanico can't be a good sign for Jay Cutler though. Minnesota and Green Bay will look to continue rebuilding next season. Calvin Johnson himself is an excellent candidate for MVP as well.​
    NFC SOUTH
    Ah, finally an interesting division in the NFC - the only interesting division in the NFC. The Saints are quietly 10-0 and have an enormous lead on the rest of the division. The reason this division is interesting is because it will have some of the most heated wildcard battles in recent memory. All teams are hovering around 500 with the surprising Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the best position thus far at 6-4. They are 3-1 in the division and meanwhile the Panthers are 0-4 in the division. Cam Newton has emerged this year and is 4th in yardage and top 10 in QB Rating. Can he lead the Panthers to the playoffs? Can the former, perennial Super Bowl contenders get back on track? I think so - and that will make this division all the more interesting as we come down the stretch. If I had to pick one of those 3 teams though, I'd take Tampa. They're in the best position to come away with a wildcard spot.​
    NFC WEST
    Its the 49ers and everyone else. As a matter of fact, they have already claimed the division crown in week 12. Thats gotta be some kind of a record. I expected the 49ers to win the division but I expected a lot more competition out of Arizona, Seattle and maybe even the Rams. The Rams and Seattle are still rebuilding, so I expect them to take a step forward next year but I'm not so sure about Arizona. Someone name Arizona's starting QB without looking.... Its Matt Cassel. I think he can succeed but I think this teams window has largely passed. Larry Fitz will be 31 and may be on his way out in return for picks, Adrian Wilson is set to retire as is Darnell Dockett. The Cardinals have a lot of work ahead of them and meanwhile SF just owns this division. Owns it. Could be the representative out of the NFC for the Superbowl... I'd wager they will make the Championship game at least.​

Nominations for Awards:
    [​IMG]

CotY:
    NO - Capp34 - Currently 10-0 - last year 11-5
    SF - JSimms - Currently 9-1 - last year 14-2
    SD - Natural - Currently 9-2 - last year N/A
    TEN - Azure - Currently 9-2 - last year N/A

MVP:
    Calvin Johnson
    Phillip Rivers
    LeSean McCoy
    Frank Gore

RotY:
    HB Rodman Brooks - IND
    DE Quayshon Merchant - NO
    FS Bryant Skinner - BUF
    LB Markis Savoie - NYJ

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

Lost too many close games. Brooks should be a lock for ORotY though.

3. mmorgan184

mmorgan184 Walk On

Cardinals have gone right down to the wire against some of the best teams in the league. With a rookie starting QB and some defense focused draft picks this off season hopefully we can compete a little more next year.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Keller

I like the optimism.

5. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Well to say the least with a top 5 draft pick the Broncos will get a top talent player or possibly trade it and acquire more picks or for some other players. I hope to get some momentum going at the end of the year and to play well. Expect the Broncos to be competing for the AFC West next season.

• Like Like x 1
  6. capp34

capp34 Say Hello to the Bad Guy!

Its been a good season so far for the Saints, very surprising after we lost our best running back and top receiver to early season injuries. Now with those 2 guys coming back soon we are looking to get into playoff mode and fine tune our offense and defense. As far my rookie end Merchant he has been pouring it on lately after a very slow start, hopefully he doesn't hit the rookie wall and finishes strong.

7. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Ton of injuries little talent isnt a good mix. with 50 mil in cap room 3 real good picks should be able to improve something on this team. Hopefully defense as i have really only 1 cb.

8. GovernedSpy

GovernedSpy Walk On

AFC East best division in the NFL pure and simple the whole NFC>AFC nonsense should be put to bed now lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. capp34

capp34 Say Hello to the Bad Guy!

Its still a toss up between the NFC south and AFC east but I agree as whole AFC>NFC.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Keller

I think the AFC South would potentially be there too if Mustang were getting more of his games in. Thats a good division all the way around, all 4 teams.

11. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Don't sleep on the AFC West with Peench and myself returning to go with Rush and Natural who are both playing well next year will show how good the AFC West can be.

12. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Agreed.

13. Keller

The only reason it isn't great this year is because you guys haven't been around. I hope that changes next season (y)