Swami Sez - Draft Edition

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Keller, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

The NFL Draft is, without a shadow of a doubt, the busiest time in the TMFL and this year absolutely has lived up to the hype - thus far. Commissioner Keller was rumored to spend the entire weekend preparing the league for the draft. Between adding new owners, prepping draft boards, managing checklists, approving trades, ensuring those trades were completed prior to the draft, managing salary caps and restricted free agency for multiple teams - all of the work involved, all of the anticipation and pure joyous celebration reached a fever pitch last night as the Tennessee Titans took center stage with the 1st pick in the 2013 NFL Draft.

#1 BUF - Bryant Skinner FS, 5'11 200lbs
    [​IMG]
    The first pick in the draft is never without intrigue and this was no different. The Buffalo Bills were looking for playmakers and they gave up the 9th overall pick, their 3rd round pick and a 1st round pick next year to move up to this spot and take, who they regard as the best player in the draft. The pick sent ripples through the organization as Jairus Byrd was perceived as an up and coming Free Safety in the NFL. Coach K was quoted at the end of the night saying, "if you had an opportunity to draft Ed Reed, would you pass on him?"

#2 NYJ Markis Savoie MLB, 6'0 238lbs
    [​IMG]
    The NY Jets also traded into this spot, trading young corner Kyle Wilson and this years 1st (#32) 3rd and 4th round picks. Savoie had some injury problems at the University of Iowa but there are no other linebackers at the college level that have his kind of athleticism, play diagnosis and raw power. If he can stay healthy he is a freak on the field. Freak.

#3 KC Cornel Patrick CB, 5'10 190lbs
    [​IMG]
    Rumor has it that the Kansas City Chiefs had 3 players on their board for this pick. Skinner, Savoie and Patrick. While Patrick was at the bottom of their wish list, he still represents excellent value and is the best pure cornerback in this draft. Patrick does not wow you with athleticism but he is a smooth athlete with excellent coverage and play recognition skills. He will be a very good Chief for a long time - excellent choice by Kansas City.

#4 CHI Tyrell Coleman WR, 6'2 219lbs
    [​IMG]
    The Chicago Bears have been looking for a bona fide wide receiver for a long time and they hope they have finally found him in Coleman. The big physical WR led the country last year in yards after the catch and there isn't a CB in the NFL that can jam him at the line of scrimmage. He is very, very strong and will be an excellent fit in Chicago.

#5 MIN Yvon Willis LT, 6’7 333lbs
    [​IMG]
    The Vikings have been looking for the heir apparent to Bryant McKinnie since he left town about 5 years ago and now, his replacement has arrived. An absolute mountain of a man, Willis represents excellent value for potentially the best player in this draft class. A lot of times blind side pass protectors go in the top 3 and while that wasn’t the case this year that is no indication of the talent level of Willis. He will start from Day 1 and is a as NFL ready as they come.

#6 DEN Jordan Gibson QB, 6’5 238
    [​IMG]

Jake Plummer? Jay Cutler? Kyle Orton? Tim Tebow? Jordan Gibson. Gibson has all the tools to succeed at the NFL level but some question his overall accuracy at times. His big arm has allowed him to get away with a lot of bad throws at the University of Florida that he won’t get away with in the NFL. There’s no question the ability is there but this is far from a surefire pick for the Broncos.​

#7 DAL Rob Marske OLB, 5’11 254lbs

[​IMG]

The Dallas Cowboys tragic fall from the good graces as America’s Team have been well documented. Dallas is rebuilding. No more Demarcus Ware or Tony Romo. Miles Austin was shopped but is still a Cowboy, for now. No more Jason Witten. Coach MouthBreather believes Marske can be a key building block to return this team to prominence and if they can find someone to get the football to Dez Bryant and co – they can.​

#8 BAL Artez Cousins DE, 6’2 338lbs

[​IMG]

Cousins is a rare breed. Built low to the ground and dense, he provides rare leverage and gap plugging ability along the trenches that is difficult to find. Most importantly, he has the arm length of a man two to three inches taller so while he remains low to the ground he plays like much taller player with long powerful arms to keep lineman off of him. Cousins will be a force along the Baltimore front 7, count on it.​

#9 TEN Matt Patton OG, 6’4 318lbs

[​IMG]

With one of the picks the Titans acquired in return for the 1st pick, the Titans looked to retool the offensive line. Patton will quietly be an excellent guard or center at the next level with a quiet demeanor but quality production. Very safe pick for the Titans.​

#10 CLE Stephen Cole TE, 6’4 252

[​IMG]

The Cleveland Browns went into this draft needing one thing – weapons. When Coleman went #4 overall, you knew the Browns would fire up the phone lines trying to trade out of this position – there just weren’t other WR’s with this kind of value. Unfortunately for the Browns they were unable to trade down but their consolation prize is a different kind of weapon; a seam-stretching, speedy TE. Cole has elite athleticism for the position and with pose all sorts of matchup problems for the AFC North this season.​

#11 OAK Cooper Fitzgerald DT 6'4 303lbs - Rumor has it, there was a lot of discussion here about the decision between Fitzgerald and fellow DT Jameel Smith. Smith is a better player right now than Fitzgerald but Fitzgerald will end up being the better player. Oakland was veryyyy busy last night with the amount of picks they had.

#12 GB Jameel Smith DT 6'3 297lbs - Oakland made this decision easy for the Packers. The Packers needed a plug and play type of player and Smith is just that. He will start immediately for the Packers next to BJ Raji but some say the Packers should have went WR here with the loss of Greg Jennings to free agency.

#13 NE Justin Young MLB 5'10 248lbs - Young is the best 3-4 ILB in this draft with excellent blockshedding and play recognition skills while yielding athleticism and coverage ability to a player like Markis Savoie. He's a perfect fit in the Patriots scheme and should start immediately next to Brandon Spikes.

#14 OAK Tiras Israel SS 6'2 211lbs - Israel provides, perhaps, the best value in the draft at this point at a marquee position in the NFL but you have to scratch your head a bit with Oakland already having top flight SS Tyvon Branch. Look for Israel, Huff or Branch to find there way out of Oakland before the season kicks off.

#15 TB Adonis Burchette SS 6'3 215lbs - Back to back strong safties jump of the board which leaves me wondering if Tampa didn't panic a bit when they saw Israel go off the board. Israel is no doubt the better player but Burchette still provides and excellent upgrade at a key position of need for the Bucs - nice pick.

#16 IND Jackson Gordon C 6'2 298lbs - Jeff Saturday's age was clearly the concern here and Indy jumped at the opportunity to take one of the best interior offensive lineman in this draft class without hesitation. I believe when Burchette's name was announced, Colts executives immediately turned in their pick, thrilled to get Gordon. He may start at guard at first but he will play Center for the majority of his career.

#17 PIT Devante Morris CB 6'2 195lbs - Morris is exactly what the doctor order for the Pittsburgh defense. Excellent coverage skills and a bigger corner to match the physical defense that is the hallmark of any Pittsburgh team. Morris is the player that really started the run on cornerbacks so the Steelers got excellent value here at a position of need, excellent pick.

#18 ARI Brandon Toscano QB 6'1 221lbs - Arizona simply had nothing at the Quarterback position so this was a complete no brainer when the time came for the Cardinals to make their pick. Quarterback is always a roll of the dice but the Cardinals had no choice. Toscano was the right pick.

#19 DAL Ricardo Bush CB 5'10 182lbs - Now we really started to see the corners move off the board. Bush is an excellent player and, like Morris, fits a big need.

#20 CAR Denzel Tate CB 6'2 205lbs - The run on corners continues. The Panthers grab the last corner with a 1st round grade and I'm sure they were panicking and this was their top need heading into the draft. Tate made it this far down to them, and they were thrilled.

#21 DEN Kileon Waugh WR 6'4 229lbs - A lot like Coleman taken earlier in the 1st round, Waugh is a unique athlete with freakish strength for a WR. He played TE in highschool but has matured into a big time athlete - the only reason he wasn't higher on draft boards is because he battled injuries a lot of his college career. He's big, can run, can't be jammed and can really make some spectacular plays downfield. If he can stay healthy, he'll be exciting to watch on Sundays.

#22 SD Carter Stone DT 6'4 304lbs - This was purely a need pick by the Chargers. They need someone to man the nose position and they think Stone can fit the bill. They have tried before and failed - will Stone pan out?

#23 NO Quayshon Merchant DE 6'1 260lbs - Merchant is probably the premier pure pass rusher in this draft class with speed and outside moves that make tackles really have to work. He's weak at the point of attack but has shown flashes that he can develop in that area and become a complete player. He'll get to the quarterback if used correctly, however.

#24 NYG Jocqua Lofton WR 5'9 184lbs - Lofton is an interesting player and is a lot like a Percy Harvin type player at the next level. He has excellent quickness and top end speed as well as excellent field vision and play making ability but hes very small and though he's shown at times that he understand running routes, he still has to develop. The Giants certainly don't have a player like this on their roster and in that regard, this pick makes a lot of sense.

#25 DET Eduardo Marsh CB 6'1 200lbs - One word, REACH. Detroit's largest need is clearly at corner and while Marsh has excellent athleticism and coverage skills, he simply has been on the field enough to warrant this high of a pick. Marsh can't stay healthy - he hasn't finished a full season since high school. But if he can, he can be very good.

#26 OAK Antavio Bolton HB 5'11 209lbs - You can't quite put your finger on Bolton but there's just something about him. He won't wow you with speed or power or game breaking runs but there's just something that says he's a winner. He runs behind his pads and has adequate speed. Nothing says "elite" but everything about him says he can get the job done.

#27 DAL Delonte Waters QB 6'5 228lbs - We've seen plenty of QB's like Waters and a lot of them have not been successful at the NFL level. Waters is big, fast and had adequate arm talent but does he have the mental makeup? The Cowboys seem to think so - they shipped out Tony Romo for next to nothing (for a starting caliber QB at least). Waters better be successful - or the Cowboys are toast.

#28 WAS Zac McEwen C 6'3 303lbs - Fills a big need for the Redskins and is one of the better interior olineman in this class. Very good value here, late in the draft. Not a sexy pick, but very safe.

#29 OAK Evan Smith QB 6'4 215lbs - The Raiders decision to part ways with Jason Campbell sent waves throughout Raidernation. Guess who the only other QB on the roster is now? Terrell Pryor. Whispers about Pryor finally being ready for a starting job have started to filter out of Oakland but its a smart move by the organization to hedge that bet with Smith - a guy who some say could end up being the best QB in this class if he has time to develop. I wouldn't count on him riding the bench though.

#30 SF Edwin Johnson CB 6'1 196 - Johnson had a mid to late 2nd round grade and here you see him going to the defensive back hungry 49ers. I can't argue with San Francisco badly needing a corner, I just think they should have been a little more active in trying to move down. Johnson was not worth this pick, depite the fact that he is a solid player with a high ceiling. He just needs a year to develop.

#31 DEN Montrell Gibbons HB 5'11 215 - Gibbons will be the lightning to Marshawn Lynch's thunder in Denver. Denver parted ways with the underachieving Knowshon Moreno and lucked into Marshawn Lynch. Lynch and Gibbons should be quite a punch and I can see Gibbons taking over #1 duties after his rookie season.

#32 SEA Tiger Boyd MLB 6'2 253 - The best named player in this draft class, Tiger Boyd really shines athletically on the football field. He, like Savoie, struggle with injury problems but when on the field he can be a very productive player. He flys all over the place - if he's flying to the right spot, watch out. Great pick for being this late in the 1st.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 5
  2. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

3. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Spot on with the bucs pick at 15. I like Burchette's size and hit power though. Hopefully, he pans out.

Nice job with this!

4. Keller

FUCCCCCKKKKK I JUST LOST 26-32... FUCK.

5. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

huh?

**edit lol nevermind

I thought you were playing your game for some stupid reason, just realized you lost your progress lol

6. capp34

capp34 Say Hello to the Bad Guy!

Nice.

7. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

8. SimFBallCritic

SimFBallCritic Walk On

I must say I had a good time making my picks last night, I felt like a real GM. I had to pick guys that I think can help my team, not just some random guy. I'm having a blast and We haven't even started playing yet.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

Spot on on the Colts pick =]

Was surprised I got Rodman in the 2nd too, dude has 97/97 speed and alot of his moves are over 90. Finally a RB without a deficiency.

10. I Peench

As did I. Making all those moves before the draft was sort of thrilling with the time crunch to get things done before it started. Very cool. Imagine how sweet it would be if we didn't have all the ratings and actually had to be prudent in scouting? Next year EA...as always.

11. Keller

Finally got the rest of the 1st round finished.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AzureEffect

AzureEffect Walk On

I was hoping that C Zac McEwen made it to pick #33...I wouldve successfully pulled off having the best young interior tandem in this draft. Cest La vie! Fun times. Lets finish this thing up and play some football.

I came here to do two things. 1) Chew gum and 2) Kick some ass....and Im fresh out of gum. Haha

13. AzureEffect

AzureEffect Walk On

Wait til the games begin and you get a season under your belt fam. Then you have to acquire Free Agents and build through the draft...All the while managing your cap. This is how Online Franchise should be and why for a long time...I was only playing this mode.

14. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Reach because he has bad injury? He was the best CB there. He will fit right in getting injured.

15. hoppedupford

hoppedupford Walk On

16. Keller

Just necro posting this so everyone can reminisce. I enjoyed going back and reading through it again.

17. The Natural

The Natural Public Enemy #1

Wow great write up Keller. You have me super hype for the draft now! Let's get this season over with haha.

18. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

My draft pick Patrick has been terrible this year. No pass break ups, no INT's. No nothing. And he cost me the game against the Chargers on that 80 yard TD. Maybe once he progresses he will play better, but pretty disappointing right now.:mad:

19. Keller

He'll still be good. He's only what... 80ovr? Hes just average right now, but next year he'll be better.

Not to mention, coming from someone who has probably one of the better CB groups in the league - CB is kinda overrated. A good offense is going to find open guys no matter what. I thought having elite CB's would let me go one on one more but in reality those guys get beat just as often as an 80ovr guy does. Certainly I'm not complaining, I'm just saying I overestimated their importance I think.

Skinner however is fantastic. I couldn't be happier with that pick. He jumps routes all the time - if he held on to half of the picks he gets his hands on he'd have like 12-15 INTs.

20. The Natural

The Natural Public Enemy #1

Between the Bronco's receiving core and my own you sure chose a bad division to draft a 5'10 corner with 88 jump LOL.

21. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

My CB has blown as well, and stayed healthy.

22. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Broncos specifically went out and got the height in Waugh and traded for Tarver as well as getting the extra security in Cooper to try and bolster a WR core that last year struggled really really badly. Trying to get some weapons to bolster my run game that last year was pretty damn good.

rushers24
    I know the good CB's that you have as well as what the Chargers and Raiders have so I needed a big upgrade over what I had last year was pretty damn bad and had to go get Sidney Rice and now my best weapon from last year Thomas, is out hurt for 7 weeks. So it's going to be a trying time again for me but am hoping my depth helps me in this one unlike last year where I had 0 depth.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  23. I Peench

All three of my first roun picks show substantial promise

DT Cooper Fitzgerald is a BEAST. 84 A potential he sheds blockers very easily. Stout against the run with good acc for pass rushing. Will be a dominant defensive player for the Raiders next season

SS Tiras Israel is very solid. 90 speed and good coverage skills, but very good against the run as well. Very well balanced safety, very happy to have him. He will fill in nicely for the departed Tyvon Branch.

QB Evan Smith. Very raw. 75 overall with iffy accuracy. Will say this though, easily the quickest release I've seen in M12. Its a shame TMFL can't afford him a few more years to develop, I'd be very interested to see how he progresses with A potential. Lots of promise here.

24. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

My draft worked out great.

Jackson Gordon has only allowed 2 sacks as a starter and Rodman Brooks is already over 1,300 yards.

25. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Boyd hasnt produced like i hoped he would but Bates has played great for me this year with 43 tackles but none of my picks has had a huge affect this season but the trade that got me Wilson and his 6 picks has been nice considering my safeties are the only ones above 3 besides him