Swing Meter Poll

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Redef, Mar 29, 2012.

?

Swing Meter Enabled?

Poll closed Apr 5, 2012.
  1. No

47.2%
  2. Yes

52.8%
  1. Redef

Redef Walk On

***Edit: Remember, this is for Tourneys or just the Major Tourneys, not to be done away with all together. I think having it off for important tourneys makes it a lot more realistic.***

Make sure you play at least a FEW rounds without the swing meter. Personally I think the swing meter, ESPECIALLY in Putting, is distracting and sometimes makes me over hit my putts consistently. Just my experience. Tell me what you think?

I just got done playing the daily without it, and I don't wanna go back, at least for tournaments or at the VERY least the majors. It makes the game just THAT much more immersive and as long as you practice your tempo, you can gauge pretty quickly how far back you need to bring your putter......almost like....in real life. ;)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. CapEm16

CapEm16 Walk On

Agreed about the putting. I didn't use the meter in last years version of TW so I'd be fine without it. But without the meter for the short game around the greens, it is nearly impossible to gauge how hard to swing, coupled with (IMO) a fairly poor short game swing mechanism, it would just be too frustrating without it. I've tried to just use my intuition while putting and ignore the meter.

3. Redef

Redef Walk On

With the short game, you have to look at the full distance of the club and relate it to the distance you are trying to achieve (although you probably already know this). I like the challenge and thought that has to be put into each shot. Makes the game more memorable rather than a robotic snooze fest like last year.

4. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

as an avid golfer I , who has played for almost 10 years & taken lessons , I must respectfully disagree with the swing meter not being realistic . Here is why :

If I need a wedge to only go 90 yards, my distance thought during swing is never , ever about speed, but how far of a backswing I am making ( 75% , 50 % , etc. ) . So to take that away to me is not making sense to me. Similar with putting, a coach of mine once told me that for the most part speed/ distance with putting doesn ot come from speed / hardness of put but the distance in the take back / follow through. So to think of a distacne & speed of a putt mentally I have something that does sort of look like the TW swing meter in my mind. I would really like to see these things stay. I can play without but I think it is making things hard just for the sake of it rather than being "sim".

On a side note, would guys be interested it maybe a thread showing how to hit certain kind of shots and why ? Not everyone's golf knowledge is awesome just like football & soccer, I know some guys on TSO know a lot about golf & are skilled in this game , if we put a thread together for that would guys use it ? If so like my post, no need to reply and make this thread super huge. (y)

• Like Like x 5
  5. CapEm16

CapEm16 Walk On

I understand that and agree to a point. If a full swing with my 60' consistently gives me 100yds, then it is safe to assume that a half swing will result in a 50yd shot (this isn't necessarily true even in real life, but we'll consider it is programmed this way in the game).

I personally experiment with all kinds of loft and different footing, so while the overall distance of my 60' with a half swing is 50yds, that changes quite a bit when I open my stance, put the ball back in my stance, that yardage could change drastically. Without some sort of reference I'm lost, or left with standard (boring) pitches.

I'm just providing one argument. I'll adapt either way.

6. StormJr

StormJr Walk On

Where's the "I don't care" option? ;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Redef

Redef Walk On

Right, so my point is that you should use feel to know how far back you need to go, and than don't rush it and overhit it (tempo). So it sounds like above, you are making an argument against the swing meter. (Is there a swing meter IRL?).

Yes I "visualize" the same thing IRL....and playing tourneys with no swing meter, I "visualize" it as well to account for how far back I need to go....get it?

I get EXACTLY what you are saying, because I'm the same way. I think the swing meter would be GREAT for practice to understand how far back you need for different putting distances, just like IRL, but when it's game time, there is no swing aid that tells you that......That's my only point.

8. Vlad

Vlad Inaugural Masters Champion

Featured Threads:
    Now my opinion of the whole thing it is too early to tell.For god sake 80% of the people here have only played a few rounds,and the folks over in Europe don't even have the game yet.

Like we said many many times we'll look into everything(hence collecting numbers) and try to make a decision which will create and SUSTAIN the best TW custom Tour.

I will keep this open,as it provides us with more info,as long as it doesn't turn into an endless back and forth argument.State your opinions and move on or we'll be talking about pros and cons till Christmas.

I'm also changing the answers to simple yes or no.

9. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Just my opinion, but I'm not sure you can tackle this as a one off issue. i.e. make a decision on the swing meter, then go and make a decision on difficulty.

Personally no swing meter and hard difficulty would be fine.

No swing meter and expert difficulty I think would be extreme.

10. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i think everyone should be trying the hardest difficulty out there, no swing and expert level and see how much better you can get in the next 2 weeks... how 'bout that? Then we can decide to nerf it down if needed.

• Like Like x 2
  11. RadarRider

RadarRider Montage!

I would be willing to go ahead and try playing for a short time without the swing/putt meters and I have to agree with Danthraxx: Are we trying to create a "sim" experience or are we trying to make the the game harder on our selves jsut because...? I personally think that keeping the swing/putt meters would be a good thing. Looking at the latest scores from our testing rounds it looks like we are getting numbers that vary from High scores to great Low score. (IMO) The combination of: black tees, wind gusts, tournament course conditions, CAG rating restriction, etc etc have all been great assistance in creating a sim a experience and that losing the meters would be an unnecessary additive.

12. Eaglems302

Eaglems302 Walk On

I'm pretty much in "the middle" on this one. I don't have season pass, so I've only played about 9 rounds since release day, so I know things will improve as my CAG levels up. Agree with both Redef AND Danthraxx/CapEm to a degree. It is a FEEL thing, but some visual/measured feedback helps too. Having the meter on the full & iron shots seems to help me more with swing plane than distance/power...especially if playing on Expert. The middle and full power shots are kinda easy to feel...it's that 10-15% area right before "overswing" that gets dicey and hard to nail without the meter (to me anyway). I can live without the meter when playing hard difficulty. Now the short game (chipping) is a different story for me entirely. Chipping seems flakey and jerky to me as it is and is certainly the weakest part of my game right now, so the meter kinda helps there, especially when there are so many different ball positions, stances, etc. with the different types of shots. Putting...I can take it or leave it there...sometimes it's just in the way and irrelevant, other times I like having it. So did I do a good job of muddying up this discussion or what? LOL.

I'll go with the flow on this decision and will be fine either way. I voted for the meter in the poll, but to explain the vote...I'd be OK without the meter if we play on Hard settings, but if we go Expert I think I'd like to leave it in. It's all cool though...I'm just happy to be here and having a good time.

13. Dub-ya

Dub-ya Walk On

I'm just regurgitating what I've posted else where about this topic, I don't have anything else to add, nor do I wish to push the issue....

I'm down for what ever the majority decides. I already know I'm going to be working for top 15's and 10's. Winning isn't going to happen this year (actually, it never did last year either). But here is my issue with the no swing meter. Well first, if we could have no swing meter, but a meter for putting I'd be fine. For me at least, maybe there is some jedi trick I don't know about, without a putting meter there is no way to accurately judge the putt swing. Whether I have the camera behind, to the side; the movement is so subtle I just can't judge it. I guess it's just a feel thing, but without a way to accurately judge my swing to the meter when it's on, the "feel" isn't developing for me. As far as full swings go, not problem, very easy to judge back swing......anyway, that is my 2 cents.

• Like Like x 1
  14. StormJr

StormJr Walk On

I'm cool with whatever. I'll adapt. I JUST WANT TO PLAY. :D

My name is StormJr, and I'm a TW13-aholic.

• Like Like x 2
  15. CapEm16

CapEm16 Walk On

After last night with a lot of practice, I may be changing my stance on the swing meter. I also found a trick that has helped me immensely, but unfortunately it may be seen as an exploit (or at least an oversight by EA).

I'm not sure about your policies on this site regarding leaking possible exploits, and wether admins prefer to be notified first, or if spilling the beans to the entire forum is frowned upon. Regardless, I can't post it now anyways (@ work and using my iPhone) but would be glad to pass along my info later tonight - or keep it to myself and win, mwuhaha.

Anyways, its not game breaking by any stretch of the imagination, but at least something to consider before making a final ruling on the swing meter.

(now back to work and day dreaming of Tiger Woods....er, the game)

16. SkinniePost

SkinniePost Walk On

Can I join your rehab group, I think I feel the same way, haha

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cgreen214

Cgreen214 Walk On

You can have the swing meter off and still use the practice swing to gauge how you need to hit the ball. I feel that gives the best of both worlds to everyone. Just my two cents.

18. Noles1724

Noles1724 Walk On

"You can have the swing meter off and still use the practice swing to gauge how you need to hit the ball. I feel that gives the best of both worlds to everyone. Just my two cents."

I did this too and several of my swings were identical and I would get a different reading on the meter, ESPECIALLY on putting. I would say the amount of practice swings probably added 20 minutes to my round.

19. Dub-ya

Dub-ya Walk On

I thought you couldn't use practice swings online?

20. Noles1724

Noles1724 Walk On

sorry, not online I believe I was offline trying to get some xp

21. SkinniePost

SkinniePost Walk On

Dub you can use them online in Tournaments, just not in Head to Head matches...

22. Dub-ya

Dub-ya Walk On

Oh, which button is it again?

23. SkinniePost

SkinniePost Walk On

On Xbox you click the left thumb stick, not sure on PlayStation... I will find out for you though ;)

Here is the link to the PlayStation Manual for TW13... TW13 PlayStation Manual

And it is the L3 button for Practice Swing.

24. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

lol i had no idea there were practice swings.

just played my game with expert/no meter. honestly with clubs I don't mind it and hit a bit better (since you pay attention to the swing and not the meter I felt I hit the top of the swing more often).

putting? totally different argument. went from averaging about 1.7 puts a hole to over 3 (and its the main difference between +6 and +20).

25. CapEm16

CapEm16 Walk On

Precisely. It helped me immensely. In fact, I figure it was worth 6 strokes to me, if not more. I have no issues with having the meter off now that I can use practice swings to help guess and judge my swings sweet spot, and I prefer having no meter on the greens as I find it more distracting than helpful.

That said, if you consider this is Tournament mode and supposedly as realistic as possible than you must consider using the practice swing to get immediate feedback and to judge where the "sweet spot" is somewhat of an exploit.

I agree though, it is the best of both worlds and a huge help if your struggling on tournament mode. (It does add an extra 10 mins to your round though, but the lower scores are worth it.)