T1: A Look at the Team Draft

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by MaxATX34, Jun 11, 2012.

1. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

"The more things change, the more they stay the same" - Some French guy
    2013 is fast approaching! I thought a little breakdown of the team draft would be fun, so here it is:
    1. Twister18 - Arkansas
    With the 1st pick and a :5stars: exception, Twist nabbed arguably the best team available to anyone in the league. A glance at their roster and you can see they will have plenty of talent, especially at the skill positions. If Arky can capitalize on their year 1 advantage(s) the Hogs could end up a 6 star program well before anyone else. A good W/L record and recruiting class are a must if this is to happen, as the Razorbacks will be sharing a division with tough users and beastly CPU teams.
    2. HotRod - South Carolina
    Really? We gave this guy Lattimore? Hopefully keeping players is definitely tougher than last year or expect 2 years of pain. HR is one of the better users in the league and he has one of the better teams in the league... again. I am assuming (hoping) that his proximity to the ACC will slow down his recruiting somewhat. He will also have to pry the division from two schools that seem to always be on the cusp of turning into Juggernaut programs (Tenn/Mizzou).
    3. MaxATX34 - Texas A&M
    The Texas connection is in full-effect here. A&M has been in need of a culture change since it was created, and Coach Max looks to bring a winning tradition back to College Station. The Ags have lots young talent and will be the only team in the league that resides in Texas. Doing some early damage on the recruiting trail before others can build their pipelines into the state will go a long way in helping the Aggies down the road.
    4. Gravity - North Carolina
    Raise up! Grav took the plunge and was the 1st to take an ACC team. The Heels look like the best squad in their conference as well. They have a stud at RB, but he is a (RS)Sophomore so he will be eligible for the draft at year's end. The rest of the team seems pretty talented too as their top 5 players are the RB, a MLB, FS, WR, and QB that are all between 84-93 OVR. Expect UNC, and all other ACC teams, to be in some epic recruiting battles as they build their programs.
    5. jms493 - Missouri
    "Mauk to DGB!" seems to be the theme surrounding Mizzou this release. The Tigers have some spectacular young talent to go along with their cool uniforms, and choosing them with the 5th pick looks like a nice take. Of course SC/Tenn looms in-division, and although Missouri may not be the most prolific recruiting school in real life, something tells me they will do fine in-game.
    6. Hellisan - Virginia
    Our fearless leader had the chance to swap picks and could have ended up with a SEC powerhouse, but instead chose to take the Cavaliers of Virginia. I would wonder about the pick, but after seeing what Helli did with Ole Miss in '12... Im sure the Cavs will be a premier team in short order. Their 3 best players are two OL and a RB, so there is your first year success. Like UNC, I expect the Wahoos to lock horns with ACC/SEC teams alike in ruthless recruiting battles for the duration of the dynasty.
    7. jfosh - Tennessee
    Fosh re-appears only to take the Vols @ #7. This is a great pick that could change the landscape of the league IMO. A good player with this school could turn into a loss for anybody. Tenn is one of those sleeping giant programs that recruits well and has a home stadium that makes things difficult for the visiting team. They may not have the most talented roster to start the game, but they have some weapons and good underclassmen. If fosh can start strong enough and establish a foothold in his division/recruiting, look out.
    8. mboda - Maryland
    As we reach the bottom third of the draft, most of the highly-talented rosters have been taken already. These picks are as much about strategy/potential as anything else. Maryland has potential with boda at the helm. It took him a while, but he turned Oregon State around late in the cycle by recruiting lots of speed. He may have to find a niche like that in recruiting again as he is smack-dab in the middle of ACC hunting grounds, and an attempt to venture farther South will find the Terps encroaching on SEC territory. Also, having mogriff as a divisional rival never helps.
    9. Mogriffjr - Boston College
    Passing on more talented schools like NC State and Georgia Tech, Mo headed North to take Boston College. Being somewhat geographically isolated in New England may have its advantages/disadvantages, but we all know Mo can build a winning program. He will be blessed with a talented Senior RB year 1. If that talent can be parlayed into early success, the building process may be sped-up quite a bit. It will be interesting to see how recruiting plays out for BC and Maryland.
    10. smlVICTORIES53 - Georgia Tech
    Surprising that one of the more talented, better recruiting schools in the ACC fell this far. Word is that if the fleXbox One is effective enough, smalls may indeed run it with the Yellow Jackets. Their roster has enough good players to run a multitude of different offenses though. GT's location will pit them against both their ACC rivals and SEC foes in the recruiting game. Although in a tough division, I think GT's roster has enough firepower for smalls to make it to a few CCG's. My only concern is, will he have enough RBs to start off with?
    11. Jman - NC State
    Again, I am surprised that a talented team like NC State fell this far but maybe I am missing something. The Wolfpack start off with great players at QB/RB and a mean-looking secondary. If there is one thing I know about Jman, it is that he likes to run the ball and this roster bodes well for his pursuits. NC State, along with many of the other ACC schools, havent historically hauled in tons of talent so some success on the field may be required to build them up into a National Power. This team looks to be one of the deeper squads in the conference, but sharing a division with Helli/smalls could be problematic.
    12. bravejaf - Mississippi State
    Not a bad school to be forced into at all IMO. Blessed with a stout defense and good Special Teams, the Bulldogs might have to play some "SEC-style" ball to win games at first, but it is doable. Sharing a division with big, bad Bama and the Bayou Bengals may be troublesome at first, and Coach Max has had brave's number in the past... but steal a couple of wins/recruits here and there and the Bulldogs will end up a very good team. Cowbell, anyone?
    Thoughts? Comments? How do you think your team stacks up? How will the conferences/divisions play out? Recruiting battles? Lets hear it.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
    • Like Like x 9
  2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

I think I'm gonna win every ACC championship :rolleyes:

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I decided to roll with the punches and take arguably the worst team in the batch of teams here.

I did want to avoid having red as a uni as the past two years i've been Rutgers and Nebraska, but BC also has some red in their uni's, albeit not a dominant color.

I also was sticking to the fact that I wanted to rebuild...that and my 1st team I wanted was Maryland...

5. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Playing Hotrod every year will be challenging and when the occasional win arrives it is very rewarding. I know nothing about the Tigers but I like their Uniforms. I am worried about the initial recruiting and being kept down by Tenn and SC. I look forward to new game and I am enjoying the month break.

6. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I wonder how the OOC user games will work out. An ACC-SEC challenge for bragging rights would be cool. We could have a thread dedicated to it and follow it every year.

7. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

First year could be rough as I will get (at minimum) user controlled Arkansas and A&M, plus CPU controlled Alabama and LSU. That does not count any out of divison games I play, plus out of conference games. With that said the Bulldogs will be a tough team to beat and I expect all the games to be close matches.

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Nice analysis. I was happy with the selection of these particular conferences by the league. As it turns out, looking at the teams there are obviously teams that are stronger than others, but I don't think there is anybody sitting there on a true dud. I was happy that those of us who wished to take a rebuilding team could, and those that wanted something a little more immediate like Hotrod (who clearly needs any break he can get ;) ) also had that opportunity, but without a massive disparity where you would say "man I could never beat that team."

9. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

• Like Like x 2
  11. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

Nicely done sir

• Like Like x 1
  12. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

Very nice Max

• Like Like x 1
  13. jfosh

jfosh Super

First off great write up MAx.

I feel the same way about Tennessee. They have some strengths to build upon and should be able to have a nice recruiting foot print. I am also excited about being in the same division as HotRod and JMS. The years when JMS does beat Hotrod I hope to throw a "L" his way. Hmmm... I'm thinking HotRod wont have as much success in the SEC as the PAC-10 last year.

I love mo picking his team by the color of their uniform, or lack of a color.

• Like Like x 2
  14. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

smlVICTORIES53

CPU vs. CPU fleXbox One. The CPU QB obviously cant make the correct decision...

15. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

So... Does everyone still like their team? I can't wait to hit the recruiting trail and build my squad. I want to find another Maurice Wright type QB and turn him loose.

16. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah I'm pretty hyped about it. On one hand, I wanted A&M really bad and we discussed that. But I still have a team I really like. I wonder if A&M will be in the cards some other year.

HOOS YO DADDY!

17. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Maybe... We might have to consider going with mid-majors after A&M spirals into the Sun Belt though.

18. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I had last pick so did not have high expectations. That being said, Miss. St. is far from a bad team, I just hope I can get some decent recruits in first couple seasons.

19. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

You'll be able to get some decent guys.

20. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

You were key in our conclusion of going acc and sec and it paid off handsomely for you

21. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

I like my team. I dont like anyone elses.

22. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Breaking News!!!! Gravity is a hater!

23. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

[​IMG]

24. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Way better than being stuck with Purdue. I actually would not have minded getting Northwestern since they are in a good location and have the A+ Academic pitch.

25. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

i am ready fro 2013!

[​IMG]