TCU to BigEast

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Cimmy24, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

What? Now the Big East is not only the worst BCS Conference, but it is also a geographical joke

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    My guess is that TCU is using this as a platform to jump into a better conference. I would be really surprised if the new conference that used to be known as the Big XII doesn't extend out to TCU. There are some old flames there, though. Baylor and TCU/SMU have some bad blood since baylor basically black-balled them from getting into the Big XII in the early 90s.

Could be interesting.

3. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

It could make sense for both sides. TCU gets into a conference that will give them slightly more legitimacy, and guarantee them a chance at a BCS payday every year. The Big East gets an inroad into Texas for recruiting purposes for all the other member schools of that conference, and they get a top 5 team to anchor the conference roster.

I agree though, that it makes the conference geographic alignment very odd.

4. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Really they should stay in the Mountain West with Boise St and the Automatic bid should be stripped from the Big East and given to the Mountain West. Is there any doubt at all that the Big East is somewhere between the Mac and Mountain West already?

5. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

i think the funniest part will be the ass-whipping TCU Hoops will take year in year out by the best basketball conference in the country. Obviously the Football team will have success.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

The BigEast won't lose their automatic bid, not with programs like WVU and Pitt, among others, in that conference...that's just ludacris. Personally, I agree with Drift. TCU to the BigXII-2 would have looked like a better fit. The BigXII would have gotten immediate attention from other programs like an SMU, or Houston. I think now that the TCU move to the BigEast has happened, another program will jump into the BigEast, UCF, Nova, Temple, Houston...as some possibilities. I also don't know if you will get a big gain in Texas recruits to BigEast programs, may just change a little. Texas athletes will still have Texas, Tech, A&M, Baylor, Houston, SMU...as well as UTSA and Texas State to receive offers from, now that UTSA and Texas State are going to the WAC. BigEast gains more competition, which puts lights on the conference for other programs, and the Texas TV market. Let's face it, the Big East is a terrible conference...they want to make a comeback...why not add a powerhouse and expand your viewing audience, so you can show that the comeback is getting done.

7. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

I agree that TCU joining the Big East may seem strange geographically. However, a trip from UCONN to TCU isn't that much further than say Boston College going down to play FSU.

Also, I don't know if it's been said yet, but TCU won't compete in the Big East until the '12-'13 season.

8. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Yea, but EVERY road game for TCU will be 1,100+ miles. Thats for every team/club men and women's.

9. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

TCU to UCONN is about 400 miles further than FSU and BC...so, yes...that isn't off, but it's the whole, Big "East" idea. Could involve a name change to the BigConference ;)

Yes, thanks for adding that...won't happen til 2012.

10. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Well put, I believe Louisville is the shortest distance...about 900 miles or so. Tampa is still a jaunt and I'd say at least above the 1k mark. BC also makes treks across the country to play their sports, but not what TCU will face.

Don't know...it's going to be interesting for sure to see how it unfolds and how it works...I do think them going to the BigEast is just a first step to getting to bigger plains.

11. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

I see everyone is up to date on their google maps skills :D

:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Sssshhhhhh

13. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

I feel bad for Boise. They go to the Mountain West to get more legitimacy and then all the good Mountain West teams leave. Now they are just stuck as one of the best football programs in the nation but without the legitimacy to show the nation they actually belong.

14. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5862368&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

While it seems like an odd geographical choice (although the Big East teams probably aren't much further from TCU than the average MWC team) this is a good move for both parties involved. TCU gets their automatic BCS shot while the Big East gets a good football team added to their really weak "BCS" conference.

The part I absolutely LOVE about all of this is that Boise went and joined the MWC so they could get some better competition than the lowly WAC, and with BYU, Utah, TCU, and BSU, the MWC would probably be better than the Big East, but since they've joined, the MWC has lost BYU, Utah, and now TCU. All Boise has accomplished is leaving a weak ass WAC conference for a weak ass MWC conference. As a Boise hater, I find this delicious!

15. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

From my understanding Baylor is still very opposed to TCU joining the conference.

16. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Quite frankly, they are opposed to just about everything. I don't think anyone else in the conference really cares when they throw fits.

17. King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11 Walk On

I think TCU moving to the Big East is the best thing that could have happened to them. The reason being now the are in a BCS Conference but since the Big East is so weak in football they are still going to be consistently one of the best teams in the conference. If they had gone to the Big 12 they would have been good but they will never be able to compete on a regular basis with the likes of Texas and Oklahoma. Also in recruiting they should be better because they will be able to get better quality recruits from their area (Dallas/Fort Worth) they will beat out the likes of A&M and Oklahoma State on pretty much any player that they want from there whereas now they lose out on some great players because they aren't in a BCS conference like OSU and A&M. The teams from the Big East shouldn't be able to come into Texas and steal recruits from TCU either because why would they go across the country to play the same teams and have the same opportunities as far as Bowl Games and Titles. This will also help in other sports as they will be in a better conference, so even though they will be out matched by far in other sports they will get more money and have the chance to improve. So all-in-all I think this is a great move for TCU and they are better off in the Big East than they are in any other conference.

18. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    TCU will not steal recruits from Texas A&M and Oklahoma State to go play in a weaker conference half way across the country. Not to mention that no one in that conference can hold a candle to their facilities.

19. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

^^^

20. King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11 Walk On

Maybe not every recruit but more than they do now. They would only play four or five games in the East and they would play the rest at home in Fort Worth. I just think people would rather play at home for a National Title contender, which is what TCU would be in the Big East, than go to Oklahoma State who has never even won its own division and will lose to Texas and Oklahoma more times than not. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like TCU in a BCS conference is a more attractive option than some Big 12 schools.

21. Gyrene76

Gyrene76 What does the fox say?

Jim Christian: Unhappiest person in Forth Worth​
    [​IMG]
    "What are you kidding me? TCU never won a Conference USA tile, nor have we yet to win a Mountain West title, and now we're going to the Big East. This sucks!"​

22. bamagrad

bamagrad Back to Back British Amateur Champion

Every Conference is Different in Terms of Competetion, TCU to the Big East (to me) is a better move then trying to go to the Big12, if that had happened I would Call the Big12 the Southwest2, and yes the Travel may be a Bitch, But NO Team has that Beat then Hawaii, By Far they Travel the Longer Distances and TimeZones to Play Teams in their Conference. and why is so many people downing so many teams for moving to Conferences that will land them in a BCS Bowl. to me smart move, and If many of U supported those teams u would think Good Move, Now we can at least have a Fair shot at the National Title, instead of being left out which right now is the case with the current system.

23. Masler

Masler Moderator

I was looking forward to an annual matchup between Boise and TCU. Now TCU will dominate the crappiest conference in the BCS just to get in a BCS Bowl without people complaining about them being a BCS Buster.

24. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Masler - that's assuming the Big East doesn't find a 10th school and doing the "two divisions, with a championship game" thing. Which means $$$$. If they go that route they might try and find another big name to anchor the football aspect of the conference (or finally convince Notre Dame the whole independent thing doesn't work any more) giving TCU some competition.

Give it like 10 years and I think you're going to see 4 big Mega-Football conferences. This is just another step in that direction.

25. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

yea, because I care enough about TCU to google map their Big East schedule...:rolleyes: My point was that every road game will be a long trip, and long road trips are a bitch in more ways than one.

TCU might fall off a little bit next year anyway. They lose a lot of talent, and if their play after Dalton went down with injury is any indication of how its going to be next year they could find themselves near the bottom of the Big East.