Team Changes

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by DatNDaz, Nov 10, 2009.

1. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Team Changes

With the end of the season coming up, thought it might be a good time for a refresher on the E-League's philosophy toward coaches switching teams. It's been in place since the start, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to make sure everyone is on board with it.

The bottom line is that every time someone leaves or switches teams, we lose some history/equity we've built. As an example, think about what a let down it would be if Shaun left Army this offseason and we really had no interest in following what happens with Denard Robinson. All those little pieces of history are what will make the league get better and better as we go.

You can find it in the League Description post stickied at the top of our board:

http://www.traditionfootball.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2738

Here's the text:

Team Selections: Based on the founding principals of the E-League and our goal of having an immersive league experience, and with history and interaction between teams (both on-field and recruiting) as one of the core components of this experience, switching teams is strongly discouraged. We encourage new members to select a team they want to manage for the remaining duration of the NCAA 2010 release. For this reason, we do not require that new members join certain conferences to maintain balance. Should a member have desire and a strong argument for changing teams, these moves will require approval of the commissioner. The commissioner will weigh the request based on the long-term good and continuity of the league, as well as the member's resume (don't expect to have a bad year / run a team into the ground and start fresh with a top 10 team). If a team change request is granted, under no circumstances will a second team change be allowed.

2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Only thing I disagree with is multiple moves...now we may never play long enough for this to matter, but if I wanted to go from Army, to say Vanderbilt to Notre Dame (just example of progress), what is wrong with that if it is over a sufficient time period?

3. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Sounds like you're thinking of a "progression" type of career or at least in this scenario you appear to be...I think what Dat is saying is that part of the lure of this dynasty is the build-up of rivalries, history a coach has with their team, etc. I mean, if Jello left Michigan, we'd all be left with an empty spot in our dynasty souls b/c we've all followed along with the Wolverines from Jello's excellent summaries, blog, posts, etc.

The hard part here is the balance of "good for the league" and "good for User X". Is it better for the user to be happy with the team he wants or is it better for that user to stick with a team for the good of the league, rivalries, etc.?

4. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Exactly. We never wanted to be a progression-type dynasty. The goal has always been to build interest in each other's programs. That's why the blogs were mandatory to begin with. That's also how we came to our current recruiting system. We wanted to get as many head-to-head battles as we could so that 2-3+ seasons down the line we'd know a handful of each other's guys.

Using the example of Jello, not only do I know his current team from his writeups and our 2 games, I know several of the freshmen on his roster because he took them from me in recruiting last year. The big 5* DT and SS Jerome Williams were the top guys on my list and they went to f-ing Ann Arbor. When they're starting in another season or two it adds a level of interest/depth that you don't get when guys are coming/going/changing.

This is why when we picked teams at the start, and every time we added someone new, AG was very clear about choosing the team you like in real life or are the most interested in. We didn't worry about balancing conferences or any of that. Just wanted to make sure guys could be happy long-term.

Now, if something changes somehow and you're convinced a different school would make you happier, Basis and I will consider it. We want to keep our good members even if it means losing some of the league history.

I don't want to get into too much of a discussion over what's a good reason to switch and what's not. It will be on a case by case basis. Just wanted to make sure that guys were clear on / ok with the philosophy that's been in place from the start, which is that, in general, team changes run counter to the concept behind forming this league.

5. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I am not leaving Army, I was just throwing out my opinion.:)

6. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

After the very, very disappointing 6-6 year of my beloved Buckeyes, I'm going to switch after this year and take over them so I can rebuild them.

I'm going to use this joke every year until at least half of you laugh hysterically!

7. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

My opinion is that it's better for us all to keep our teams and keep building and dealing with the ups and downs...The only exceptions I can think of is if someone joined and their team was taken then it comes open and they want to move to their team.

Ex. If I had joined and OU was taken, I'd take UCLA...One season in the OU guys leaves, I'd be salivating over taking OU and get the hell out of California and the UCLA program. Ya know?

8. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Yep, or the flip side like what happened with Bruce giving up OU so that a true fan could take them. He moved to 'Bama, and then to LSU, which nowadays most likely wouldn't be cleared without good reason.

9. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

True, true...Again, THANKS BRUCE!!!