Team Previews

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by White Walkers, Dec 8, 2013.

1. White Walkers

White Walkers Walk On

AA-LOGO-Denver-Post-Jun09.jpg

The Denver Broncos look to build on a successful 2012 season. Led by QB Peyton Manning and a solid defense, the Broncos in Mile High stadium look to win their division and claim home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Anything less would be deemed a failure in the hearts of Broncos fans.

OFFENSE

Quarterback Peyton Manning said, "Last year we were very disappointed in how our season ended. We thought we were the better team. We just didn't play our best football at the most important time."

Half backs Knowshon Moreno and Montee Ball look to share the load this season. Who will claim the most carries and lead in rushing is the main question. "I haven't lived up to my hype since I was drafted", says Moreno as he was questioned about rookie HB Ball coming in and expecting to play an important role.

DEFENSE

The defense led by line backer Von Miller is solid in every aspect. They are a great run stopping team and very good at defending the pass. They look to get a few turnovers to help the offense out.
    "Defense wins championships", veteran corner back Champ Bailey stated as he talked about how his career has helped him become the player he is today.

The defense is the key to Denver's success. Everyone knows the talent of the offense. Defense wins championships.

Broncos Zone Header HQ 5 players.jpg

Denver is ready for the season to kick off. The fans will be packed and Mile High will be rocking. This is Denver football. Never stop, never give in, never give in. Play football Bronco style. Go Denver Broncos.

AA-LOGO-Denver-Post-Jun09.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  2. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

White Walkers I think since you made this thread you can edit the title, you should just change it to "Team Previews"... going to do one quick as I am bored before bed. If not, Shaun can do it I'm sure but I would hate to pester him with it.

3. White Walkers

White Walkers Walk On

Thanks man. Hopefully Shaun can do it it won't let me change the thread title...I think.

4. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Thread tools should be a choice up under the site search bar-- upper right of page. Something at least similar to thread tools should let you.

5. White Walkers

White Walkers Walk On

Ill look tomorrow im on the mobile version with my phone and in bed. I appreciate it fellas. Good luck with the season.

6. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

2013 Arizona Cardinals Preview

So the Cardinals typically are bad, but we are going to break down this years team for you anyways. I would assume they did bad last year, so here is to hoping we don't do bad this year. Note: a * indicates the starter, and position lists are in depth chart order.

QB - Carson Palmer*, Nathan Enderle, Drew Stanton

Palmer is reaching the end of a solid career, but make no mistake he can still get the job done. He brings a veteran presence and leadership quality to the team, and has been to the playoffs so he will know what to do once we get there. Fresh off free agency, Nathan Enderle is a coach Bruce Arians is excited about, stating the Idaho Vandal just needs "a little polish." Look for Enderle to be "the guy" in a few years. Drew Stanton rounds out the position and knows the NFL ropes if Palmer goes down and Enderle isn't ready.

HB - Andre Ellington*, Rashard Mendenhall, Ryan Williams, Stefon Taylor

Rookie RB Ellington out of Clemson will get the starting gig all season. He is a nice receiver out of the back field and is a good one cut runner once he gets going downhill. Mendenhall will bring the power for short yardage situations, while Ryan Williams provides a nice spell choice. Stefon Taylor is a solid rookie that has potential if he can manage to develop- he was a good downhill runner in college while at Stanford.

FB - Jacob Hester

Arizona won't use a FB very often, but Hester is a versatile weapon and will be utilized.

WR - Larry Fitgerald*, Michael Floyd*, Andre Roberts*, Jaron Brown, Juron Criner, Teddy Williams

Everyone knows about Fitz, and Floyd is pretty well known as well. Both will provide excellent outside targets that should catch most everything that is thrown their way. Roberts is marked as a starter as the Cards will be in 3 WR sets most of the time; Andre is a good, quick route runner who will be a great target in the slot. Jaron Brown is a good all around athlete and receiver, while Criner is a good route runner and has some good hands. Williams brings raw athleticism and will return kicks as well.

TE - Nick Kasa*, Rob Housler, Niles Paul

Kasa was a great looking rookie tight end in free agency, and Arizona snatched him up. He takes Housler's starting spot, but brings a more well rounded skill set (blocking) to the tight end position. Housler and Paul are good receiving options for Arizona and will see time in spots to create favorable matchups. Look for Kasa to make a name for himself in the coming years.

LT - Bradley Sowell*, Nate Potter
    LG - Daryn Colledge*, Paul Fanaika
    C - Lyle Sendlein*, Phillip Blake
    RG - Jonathan Cooper*, Earl Watford
    RT - Bobby Massie*, Eric Winston

This should be a solid offensive line unit. No real standout guys, but I think they will perform well as a unit. Cooper and Massie are promising youngins on the O line.

RE - Darnell Dockett*, Frostee Rucker
    LE - Calais Campbell*, Ronald Talley
    NT - Dan Williams*, Alameda Ta'amu

I like this defensive line unit and would put them up against almost any 3-4 front in the NFL. Their success will depend on Williams' ability to be the anchor- Dockett is a stud and Campbell is just a freak of nature.

LOLB - John Abraham*, Matt Shaughnessy, Marcus Benard
    ROLB - Sam Acho*, Alex Okafor

Abraham will need to continue to give every last drop he has left in the tank for the OLB's to get pressure, unless the young Okafor can step up in passing situations. Acho is a well rounded linebacker as well, and Shaughnessy is a good spell linebacker. This might be our weakest position on defense (albeit on what should be a good defense).

MLB - Daryl Washington*, Karlos Dansby*, Kevin Minter, Jasper Brinkley

Washington and Dansby are a great tandem and will lead this team from their MLB positions. They will have to, and should be, tackling machines for us.

CB - Patrick Peterson*, Antoine Cason*, Jerraud Powers, Justin Bethel, Javier Arenas

Peterson is one of the headliners of this team, so you know what you are getting there. Cason is a welcomed addition to an already solid defensive secondary. CB is a fairly deep and young position for the Cardinals- should be a real strength for us.

FS - Tyrann Mathieu*, Rashad Johnson

Mathieu could quickly become a fan favorite as he is a playmaker and is always flying around the field. He is very talented for a rookie; his only limiting factor is his 5'9 height. If we weren't so deep at corner, we would probably move him there. Johnson is a great option as a backup and should see time.

SS - Yeremiah Bell*, Tony Jefferson

Bell is aging but continues to give it his all- expect rookie Tony Jefferson out of Oklahoma too be tasked with more and more responsibility as the season goes on if Bell starts to struggle. Regardless, Jefferson will need to get ready fast as Bell won't be around much longer at age 35.

K - Some guy
    P - some guy

A couple guys that should do fine.

Prediction: playoffs.

• Like Like x 3
  7. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

[​IMG]

The San Francisco 49ers are less than a week away from opening their attempt to rectify this past February's abominable mistake. The 49ers head into the 2013 season as the favorite in their division, and one of the favorites to take home the Lombardi Trophy next fall. There are plenty of storylines to consider and we'll take a look at some of them.

1. Who is the easiest player on the roster to root for?
    There are a host of players that are popular for one reason or another, but for me, the easiest guy to root for has to be linebacker Patrick Willis. He has established himself as arguably the best middle linebacker in football, and has become more nationally recognized over the years.

It is a bit of a bandwagon pick based just on talent, but Patrick Willis also has unparalled work ethic and a strong sense of humility. He had perfect attendance through the voluntary offseason, and remained at the facility even as he dealt with a broken bone in his hand. Many people would look at an underdog as the easiest player to root for, but with Willis, you get every positive trait you could want from the leader of the team.

2. If you could buy a ticket to just one game this year...
    It has to be Week 14 vs. the Seattle Seahawks. The 49ers and Seahawks have developed one of the best rivalries in football. Week 2 up in Seattle will be a madhouse, but Week 14 could very well have serious division title implications.

Although Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll claim to be fine with each other, there does seem to be some edge when they meet up. The fan bases do not like each other, and two Seahawks have detailed how they would like to get a hit on Harbaugh if he were actually playing. There is some bad blood here.

3. Which second year player is going to make the biggest leap?
    Tight End Derek Carrier would seem to be the guy with the best chance of making the leap in Year 2. He has some elite physical tools to be a top pass catching TE in the league. HE just needs to focus on his pass catching skills.

Also, seeing as the 49ers have unloaded most members of the 2012 draft class, I'll go with LaMichael James. He did not exactly impress in the preseason, but I have a hunch his speed and athleticism will add another element to the short passing game. he struggled to get on the field last year, not getting a spot until Kendall Hunter went down for the year and Brandon Jacobs basically imploded. However, I think we'll see more of him once he's healthy this year.

4. What are the odds of your head coach getting fired?
    The odds are somewhere between slim and none. I suppose if Jim Harbaugh physically assaulted a referee during a game he might, and even then I think the team would be fine just giving him a suspension. Of course, as we have seen the last two years, Jim Harbaugh does seem to be just on the edge of self-control during games.

5. What franchise or NFL records could be broken this season?
    Colin Kaepernick enters his first full season as starting quarterback, and after what we saw last season, he has a shot at setting some single season franchise records this season. In seven starts + the second half after Alex Smith was concussed + assorted mop-up duty before, Kap threw for 1,814 yards, with 10 touchdowns and three interceptions. Given that he was thrown into the fire, that's not too shabby.

Jeff Garcia holds the single season yardage record with 4,278 yards. Steve Young holds the touchdown record with 36. I don't think he sets either as the 49ers still spend a sizable amount of time running behind Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter and the dominant run blocking of the offensive line. Kap does have an excellent shot at surpassing Steve Young's 537 rushing yards, which is the franchise record for quarterbacks.

Frank Gore is 1,161 yards away from 10,000 career rushing yards.

Vernon Davis currently trails Brent Jones among 49ers tight ends by 72 receptions and 844 yards for the franchise lead among tight ends.

6. Which rookies will see regular playing time this year?
    Eric Reid
    has earned the starting free safety role. The 49ers traded up in the first round for the LSU product, and he quickly worked his way into the starting lineup. He will replace veteran standout Dashon Goldson.

Tight end Vance McDonald will operate as the team's No. 2 tight end. This is a pertinent role because the 49ers use a lot of two tight end sets. Additionally, with McDonald's experience in Rice's spread attack, he will likely get some opportunities in non-traditional tight end work.

WR Quinton Patton and OLB Corey Lemonier could see fairly regular work as well. Patton did not play until the third preseason game, but he looked strong in the last two games. He scored a pair of touchdowns, and has a chance to get some early work as the No. 3 receiver. Lemonier will be the primary backup outside linebacker behind Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks. The 49ers will look to rotate in more bodies to keep the starters fresh. Lemonier looked exceptional in the preseason as a pass rusher, and will get some opportunities.

7. Predict the order of finish in your division.
    1. Arizona Cardinals
    2. San Francisco 49ers
    3. Seattle Seahawks
    4. St. Louis Rams

It's rather predictable, but this strikes me as the pecking order in the NFC West until proven otherwise. The Rams are the biggest darkhorse, with the development of Sam Bradford being a key to where they go.

8. What do you expect your season-end record will be?
    I have to stick with my 11-5 prediction. The 49ers face a tough schedule, but this team is loaded with talent. The big question marks this offseason were defensive depth and the wide receiver position. The team loaded up on defense up and down the roster, and the wide receivers have shown some positive signs in the preseason. Much of this will come down to how Colin Kaepernick performs in his first full season as a starter. Some predict regression for the young QB, but with his talent and the brains of this coaching staff, I really think he can take this team to an elite level.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

9. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Not all original work... Ha. Thanks sb nation. Made some tweaks.

The Google sheet has been my goto for roster management the last couple cycles. Red shading means something bad.

10. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

What is bad about an 85 overall 23 year old RT?

11. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

It's trait related

12. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

This is my google sheet, used to use a notebook and pen before I switched to google docs with Madden '13

13. nellycuz

nellycuz I'm an educated fool w/ $$ on my mind.

STEELERS

[​IMG]

The Steelers might not want to be considered in a "rebuilding phase", but it looks to be that way, at least on defense. The Steelers offense only weak spot is their O Line, which isn't too terrible (at least in Madden). After getting rid of Wallace last year many thought the WR core would take a hit, but the emergence of Antonio Brown has many Steeler fans forgetting about Wallace. Brown looks to be the go to receiver in this offense. Complimenting him are 3 other speedsters, Sanders, rookie Wheaton, and FA pickup Devery Henderson (cpu did this in preseason). A lot of speed in the WR core and an every down back in rookie HB Bell, the Steelers offense is looking pretty good. Steelers may look for a bigger WR to compliment these speedsters next year.

The defense is old, really old. The DLine has veteran Casey Hampton at nose tackle, another veteran in Keisel on one DE and Cam heyward on the other. LB core is thier strong suit on defense: Worilds, Jarvis Jones (r), Timmons, Foote, and Woodley. The OLB are pass rushing machines and look to have a great year this year and for the next several. These guys won't be going anywhere for a while (only one who I may move is Worilds in final year of contract). Jones started in week 2, had 5+ tackles and 1 sack. He's set for his role as the starter on the right side with Worilds subbing in to give him a breather. Secondary is old. Troy still is Troy, but FS Clark, CB Taylor are starting to be a reliability. Look for the Steelers to focus on secondary help in this upcoming draft.

• Like Like x 1