Team USA | FM 13

Discussion in 'FIFA' started by Kasper, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

[​IMG]

I'm starting up a Football Manager 2013 career, and have decided to take up the role of USMNT head coach. I will skip all the details and get right to posting information! Hope to have some folks following, and input is welcome throughout the whole thing. Would love to hear things like "hey you should have XX called up to the team" or "why is XX playing there when you have XX on the bench"-- the more comments by yall the better this will be!

Here we go!

2. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

[​IMG]
    23 Man Roster Announced
    [​IMG]

Coach Kasperson announced his initial 23 man roster 144 days away from the World Cup Qualifier vs Trinidad & Tobago. MLS standout Omar Gonzalez is listed as the starting CB alongside Clarence Goodson, with Fabian Johnson and Edgar Castillo on the outsides. Michael Bradley, as expected, will control the defensive mid spot in Kasperson's 4-4-2 Diamond, with Landon Donovan and Demarcus Beasley playing the winger spots. Many expected Clint Dempsey to play up top with Jozy Altidore, but Herculez Gomez has reportedly impressed Kasperson and will join Altidore up top. Dempsey will control the CAM position and fuel the offense. Tim Howard, of course, will reside in goal. To round out the lineup, Graham Zusi, Matt Besler, Jermaine Jones, Nick Rimando, Geoff Cameron, Maurice Edu, and Eddie Johnson round out the subs. Reserves are also listed above, with the young Sean Johnson proving noteworthy and getting the nod over Brad Guzan.

Thoughts on the lineup and subs?

3. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

[​IMG]
    US Men's National Team Schedule Announced
    [​IMG]

129 days before next match-

The US Men's team has announced agreements for friendlies with Cuba, Australia, and El Salvador on the dates listed above. Cuba will give the team a chance to warm up before their WCQ game against Trinidad and Tobago a week later. Also of note, the latest FIFA world rankings have been released with the US squad being named 30th best in the world. Groupings for the North American World Cup Qualifiers are listed below as well:

[​IMG]

4. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Altidore Out Injured
    3/17/12

Fans of AZ Alkmaar are cursing their luck that their 22 year old striker Jozy Altidore will be out for around 4 months.

The striker suffered a hip injury during a routine training exercise and the fans at AFAS Stadion will be desperately hoping that the team can hold together without him.

Altidore, who has been labelled the next Brian McBride, arrived at AFAS Stadion from Villareal for a fee of $2M in 2011.

The injury also holds international weight, as the USMNT (who Altidore is a starting striker for) is set to take on Cuba in 75 days. A week after that matchup, they dive into WCQ games which the young striker may also miss.

Word out of camp is that Chris Wondolowski may get the call up to the starting squad, with the starting spot potentially being split between he and Eddie Johnson.

Injury Woe for Zusi
    4/1/12

Sporting KC's Graham Zusi will be sidelined for about 3 months after suffering a torn hamstring during the match against Chivas USA. Zusi signed for MLS Sporting KC in 2009. Zusi, who figured to play a decent role (at the least) on the USMNT team, will have his international progress surely delayed by this injury. Speculation out of camp is for Joe Corona to be moved to the A team to take Zusi's place.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  5. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

USA U20 3-0 Colombia U20

Jack McInerny 7' :goal:

Bobby Shou Wood 9' & 44' :goal:

The USA U20 squad had a nice showing against Colombia notching a 3-0 win at FC Dallas stadium.

USA ------- Colombia
    11 Shots 5
    3 S.O.T 0
    10 Fouls 7
    0 Yellows 0
    51% POS 49%

6. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Get Beasley the hell outta there!

7. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

Agreed. Kasper , i'd put in Zuzi on the right flank with Donovan on the left. I'd get Herc out of there replaced with Dempsey up top and bring in more of a #10 for the CAM role.

I'd also consider using the 4-1-3-2

Got to get Timmy Chandler on the left back spot.

-----------------Howard------------------------
    Johnson--Beasler--Gonzales--Chandler
    ----------------Jones---------------------------
    ----------------------Bradley-------------------
    Zuzi----------------------------------Donovan
    ----------------Dempsey-----------------------
    ----------------Altidore-------------------------

With Bradley going down, consider Holden.
    With the loss of Altidore consider Jack Mac, Johnson, or Wondo

Check out this kid as a forward, interested to see what he does this afternoon against Bosnia: http://www.ussoccer.com/news/mens-n...s-change-of-association-approved-by-fifa.aspx
    Johannsson was born in Mobile, Ala., and his family moved to Iceland when he was 3 years old. The 22-year-old striker plays professionally for AZ Alkmaar in the Netherlands’ Eredivisie.

Also another option to replace Bradley is Mix Diskerud. I really liked what I saw out of him in the Gold Cup.

Suggested Additions:
    Fabian Johnson
    Aron Johannsson - if ratings are decent
    Brad Guzan

Suggested Cuts:
    Sean Johnson
    Nick Rimando
    Maurice Edu

Just my .02

8. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I'd give Gatt some runs on the left side, especially with Zusi hurt. EJ is the logical replacement for Herc if anybody. Jack Mac still has to prove himself, maybe run him out in some friendlies. I like Dempsey in that withdrawn role in real life, you could probably get him to play similar in the game. I forget what the role is though.

9. MoonBBad

Gatt or even Torres. Worst case you could even go with Shea, but we both have our thoughts on Shea lol.

10. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

A few things- first of all though, thanks for the response. I was hoping you two would get interested in this because I would love input like this throughout the whole thing.

1) I took Timmy Chandler out of my national pool because everything I have read online indicates he has no interest in playing for team USA.

2) Gatt is on my bench and I think I will run him in the next friendly, or maybe even in the WCQ coming up (1st game summary coming up-- take a look at how I do it as I am curious if you will like the format I have planned for summaries).

3) Holden is out for over a year - the thing starts in 2012.

4) Wondo had a great first game and I like the way he and Gomez play off each other-- Gomez is great at positioning.

5) Disk isn't rated very well (or as well as he should be) but I do also have him in my holster ala Gatt.

6) Bradley is ok to play, my game locked up before I saved so it took me back before some of those injuries occured (tried to edit injury post accordingly).

7) I love how Fabian Washington plays at the FB spot, but he had a back breaker of a turnover in the friendly.

8) I really like Sean Johnson personallu, but Guzan for Rimando is something I may look at. Will also give Johannsson a look as I am also curious about him with the latest information coming out about him regarding the real USMNT.

In summation, again thanks for the input you two and I will certainly take all suggestions into consideration.

11. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

[​IMG]
    Offense Alive For USA, Top Cuba 3-2

6/1/12

Game Summary
    3' Clint Dempsey blasts a shot but it sails to the left of the goal.
    7' Donovan finds Dempsey in the box and Clint gives the US a 1-0 lead.
    16' Corner kick for USA, headed away by Cuba.
    16' Dempsey booked for a bad challenge.
    20' Phenomenal long ball by Fabian Johnson and Gomez heads it in for a 2-0 advantage.
    25' Turnover in attacking third by Bradley, but he shows his class by getting the ball back with great hustle.
    26' Cross right in front of the goal by Beasley finds no one there to finish it, goal kick Cuba.
    36' Cuba striker Arrieta loses ball in the box, but winger Ronald Quintero is there to clean up to bring the score to 2-1.
    42' Long shot by Bradley barely saved by Cuba keeper- what a rip.
    45' Bradley booked for persistent fouling.
    45' Jermain Jones in for Bradley at halftime due to the card.
    52' Martinez sends an ambitious shot wide for Cuba.
    53' Gomez with a wonderful chip of the keeper on a break but it hits the crossbar.
    55' Donovan sending some great crosses this game.
    63' Matt Besler on for Omar Gonzalez.
    64' Some great passing by USA leads to Dempsey finding Wondo all alone for his first international goal, 3-1 USA.
    66' Cuba sends a free kick from just outside the box over the goal.
    71' Gomez gets the ball on a break, but misses to the left.
    75' Joe Corona on for Dempsey, Brek Shea for Beasley, and Eddie Johnson for Gomez.
    80' Lucho injured for Cuba.
    81' Fabian Johnson with a turnover in the attacking third.
    82' Cuba capitalizes on the turnover with Obejas showing some great speed out running Johnson and finishing very well, 3-2 USA.
    85' Great block by Besler at the edge of the box, shot would have surely troubled Howard.
    89' Three minutes of added time.
    91' Coronoa through ball has Johnson on the break, but he misses just to the left.
    92' Castillo with a critical turnover in defensive third, but Howard catches the ensuing cross.
    92' Crucial tackle by Castillo with Cuba entering attacking third.
    93' Full time, game over 3-2 US.

Saw some very good things out of the US side, but they have some work to do defensively.

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
    USA - Cuba
    21 Shots 5
    6 S.O.T. 2
    57% POS 43%
    13 Fouls 6

:trophy: Clint Dempsey - 1 goal, 1 assist, 7.9 rating.

Milestones:
    HC Tyler Kasperson took charge of his first game.
    Tim Howard won his 80th cap for the US, Michael Bradley his 70th.
    Wondolowski with his 1st international goal and a promising performance.
    Matt Besler with his US debut.

GK - Howard
    DR - Geoff Cameron
    DCR - Clarence Goodson
    DCL - Omar Gonzalez
    DL - Fabian Johnson
    DMC - Michael Bradley
    MR - Landon Donovan
    ML DaMarcus Beasley
    AMC - Clint Dempsey
    STCR - Chris Wondolowski
    STCL - Herculez Gomez

Thoughts on format of summary?

12. MoonBBad

Timmy Chandler is cap tied to the US now. He's going to be playing for us or not playing for anyone. I think he's just been banged up. He's wasn't called in for the Gold Cup because those are mainly domestic players, and hasn't played in a few of the last qualifiers due to fitness.

13. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Kasper I like the write and game thread. Kind of cool to know who else rated in the 7+ range trending up or down but I am following

14. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

What?

15. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

MOTM Clint Dempsey - 1 goal, 1 assist, 7.9 rating.
    just wondering if there were some other players that rated 7+ in the game thats all

16. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I can start noting that- I wasn't sure if there was a sort of threshold (like a 7+) that qualifies noting. I can do like a top 5 performers ratings wise each game.

17. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I think I may try to make the summaries look a tad "prettier" - I just had this saved on a notepad from last night when I couldn't get the site to work.

18. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

I have no idea if 7+ is a good or bad threshold just that when looking at ratings after games on espn guys rarely get rated in the 7's even with a goal or assist...I am a noob as far as that is concerned

19. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Landon Donvan (C) & Clint Dempsey (VC) New Captains..

20. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

[​IMG]
    Defense Alive For United States In 1-0 Win
    8/6/12

Live Feed
    9' Gomez has a burst at the edge of the box but sails it wide right.
    17' Gatt with a great ball to a running Donovan, but he misses barely wide right.
    32' Donovan with a superb chance from outside the box on a freekick, but he barely misses wide.
    45' Very quiet first half, US needing a spark will sub Corona for Gomez with Dempsey going up top with Wondo.
    58' Remarkable early cross from Castillo and Wondo's header is just off the right post!
    62' Corona with a great pass to Dempsey who sends a rocket at the keeper, Wondo cleans up the deflection for a 1-0 US lead!
    63' US switch to controlling method following goal- Jermaine Jones on for a tired Bradley.
    64' Coronoa with a great through ball to a streaking Gatt, but a great save by the Trinidad keeper- corner kick US.
    65' Ball headed around and eventually lost by Corona- Trinidad on the break.
    65' Superb defending by Goodson in the box to cease the opponent's chance.
    66' Corona bringing some much needed creativity to US attack.
    67' Dempsey with a great individual effort, but a diving save by the keeper denies the goal.
    67' Corona with a quick takeaway and rips a shot that sails just barely over the net.
    68' Wondo on the break after a great header ahead by Dempsey, but just misses to the right- so very close!
    72' Jermaine Jones appears slightly injured, but will have to persevere as the US doesn't have another capable CDM.
    82' US controlling the ball very well in attacking third.
    82' Corona slips it to Wondo who rips it!! Oh right at the keeper.
    86' Cordell Cato receives a great cross but has his shot denied by a diving Howard!
    86' Cross by Villareal sails through the box with nobody to take charge of it.
    87' With Trinidad pressing high and a couple quick passes Dempsey has a look from afar and sends a rocket that is barely tipped over the goal by the keepe- corner for US.
    88' Great tackle by Trinidad and they are on the break following the corner- Jermaine Jones with a hard tackle attempt and foul will stop the break, no card.
    88' Freekick headed away by Fabian Johnson.
    90' 3 minutes of added time- Dempsey flagged for offsides on attack.. second of the day.
    93' Trinidad RB Darren Toby fields a free kick in the box and slaughters it into the corner! Oh what is this, Toby is called for a foul and the Trinidad coach is furious!
    93' That will be full time- what a finish to a defensive battle- Controversy is sure to be afoot!

Thoughts
    We looked much better defensively and Jermaine Jones did a great job filling for an oddly early fatigued Michael Bradley. Wondolowski continues to impress as his goal was the difference in this one; I was torn between taking him off for Eddie Johnson at half time but it ended up working out. Corona showed flashes at CAM, but I'm not sure he has the control and decision making the position requires at this level of competition.

USA - Trinidad & Tobago
    21 Shots 2
    6 S.O.T. 1
    58% Possession 42%
    11 Fouls 13

:trophy: Clarence Goodson - 8.1 rating

Milestones:
    Chris Wondolowski won his 10th cap for the US.

GK - Howard
    RB - F Johnson
    CB - Goodson
    CB - Besler
    LB - Castillo
    CDM - Bradley
    RM - Gatt
    LM - Donovan
    CAM - Dempsey
    RS - Wondolowski
    LS - Gomez

*Note on starting XI - I wanted to switch some things up, but the team was already submitted so I had to choose out of the guys I had. Open to ideas for the CAM if Dempsey goes up top.

Scores Around North American WCQ
    [​IMG]

Injury Update
    Jermaine Jones will be out 3 weeks with a pulled hamstring. Credit to him for mustering the strength to finish the match when we needed him.

21. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Injury Woe For USA
    USA's preperation for their World Cup North American Qualifying Section match against Grenada has been hit by the news that Landon Donovan has suffered a hip injury. With Donovan likely out for 2 months, USA will now need to draft a replacement into their team. Donovan adds to the problems for USA, who are already without Maurice Edu and Jermaine Jones.

Also of note, on the day of competition, Gatt has come down with an illness and won't be able to play. Without time to call anyone up, Break Shea will be thrust into the starting lineup.

22. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

[​IMG]
    Strong Showing For US Ends In 4-0 Win
    6/12/12

Live Feed
    2' Shea takes a shot from outside the box, but he doesn't get all of it and the keeper catches it.
    3' Foul on Grenada, freekick USA from right flank - Corona to kick.
    3' Freekick headed away and Grenada on the break- sliding tackle by Castillo cuts the break down and ball back to US.
    4' Wondo gets a look at the other end, but sails it high. Very eventful opening!
    15' Great tackling by the US today.
    22' Corona sends in the corner kick, and Dempsey header just barely sails over the net.
    23' Gomez on the break, rips a shot- Oh! it just misses to the left!
    24' Dempsey with an ambitious attempt from outside the box, misses about 5 yards to the left of the net.
    37' Fabulous passing by the US and Dempsey gets a great look but a superb save by the keeper will deny the goal.
    38' Good through ball by Castillo, but Shea's shot leaves much to be desired.
    38' Shea struggling, Corona looking good today- on cue Shea with a turnover.
    38' Corona with a timely tackle and the US has the ball back.
    39' Wondolowski with a great chip over the defense and Gomez finishes with a fantastic header! 1-0 US!
    45' US pushing for another goal, Shea with a good look but can't get it past the keeper.
    45' 1-0 lead for USA at the break.
    46' Eddie Johnson on for Gomez coming out of halftime.
    49' Free kick by Carona can't quite find anyone to finish it.
    50' Castillo and Besler with a miscue in the defensive third, Grenada gets a shot off right in the box but miss the net to the right.
    51' Omar Gonzalez warming up on the sideline. US midfield looking fatigued.
    57' Gonzalez on for Goodson.
    57' Grenada gets a break and have a one on one with Howard, but the American makes the save! Corner Grenada..
    58' Gonzalez heads it away, Besler runs with it but eventually loses it.
    64' Shea sends in a corner, Besler is all alone and is able to trap it before calmly finishing to give the US a 2-0 lead!
    73' United States playing a lot more loosely, great passes abound and chances sure to come out of this.
    74' Quality, quality 1-2-3 passing from Wondo, to Dempsey and to a running Corona and Joe finishes well to make it 3-0.
    79' Kljestan on for Bradley.
    84' A world class cross by Fabian Johnson from 45 yards out finds Johnson on the back post, 4-0 US!
    89' 2 minutes added time coming.
    92' Final whistle blows- good, solid win for the US men's team.

Thoughts
    Slow start for us, but something really sparked us in the second half; not sure if it was Eddie Johnson coming on or what. Very happy with this result and curious to see how the Trinidad vs Honduras game went.

USA - Grenada
    17 Shots 5
    6 SOT 2
    58% POS 42%
    6 Fouls 6

:trophy: Matt Besler - 8.5 rating

GK - Howard
    RB - F Johnson
    CB - Goodson
    CB - Besler
    LB - Castillo
    CDM - Bradley
    RM - Corona
    LM - Shea
    CAM - Dempsey
    RST - Wondolowski
    LST - Gomez

NAWCQ Scores
    [​IMG]

23. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

[​IMG]
    Strong Showing For US Ends In 4-0 Win
    6/12/12

Live Feed
    2' Shea takes a shot from outside the box, but he doesn't get all of it and the keeper catches it.
    3' Foul on Grenada, freekick USA from right flank - Corona to kick.
    3' Freekick headed away and Grenada on the break- sliding tackle by Castillo cuts the break down and ball back to US.
    4' Wondo gets a look at the other end, but sails it high. Very eventful opening!
    15' Great tackling by the US today.
    22' Corona sends in the corner kick, and Dempsey header just barely sails over the net.
    23' Gomez on the break, rips a shot- Oh! it just misses to the left!
    24' Dempsey with an ambitious attempt from outside the box, misses about 5 yards to the left of the net.
    37' Fabulous passing by the US and Dempsey gets a great look but a superb save by the keeper will deny the goal.
    38' Good through ball by Castillo, but Shea's shot leaves much to be desired.
    38' Shea struggling, Corona looking good today- on cue Shea with a turnover.
    38' Corona with a timely tackle and the US has the ball back.
    39' Wondolowski with a great chip over the defense and Gomez finishes with a fantastic header! 1-0 US!
    45' US pushing for another goal, Shea with a good look but can't get it past the keeper.
    45' 1-0 lead for USA at the break.
    46' Eddie Johnson on for Gomez coming out of halftime.
    49' Free kick by Carona can't quite find anyone to finish it.
    50' Castillo and Besler with a miscue in the defensive third, Grenada gets a shot off right in the box but miss the net to the right.
    51' Omar Gonzalez warming up on the sideline. US midfield looking fatigued.
    57' Gonzalez on for Goodson.
    57' Grenada gets a break and have a one on one with Howard, but the American makes the save! Corner Grenada..
    58' Gonzalez heads it away, Besler runs with it but eventually loses it.
    64' Shea sends in a corner, Besler is all alone and is able to trap it before calmly finishing to give the US a 2-0 lead!
    73' United States playing a lot more loosely, great passes abound and chances sure to come out of this.
    74' Quality, quality 1-2-3 passing from Wondo, to Dempsey and to a running Corona and Joe finishes well to make it 3-0.
    79' Kljestan on for Bradley.
    84' A world class cross by Fabian Johnson from 45 yards out finds Johnson on the back post, 4-0 US!
    89' 2 minutes added time coming.
    92' Final whistle blows- good, solid win for the US men's team.

Thoughts
    Slow start for us, but something really sparked us in the second half; not sure if it was Eddie Johnson coming on or what. Very happy with this result and curious to see how the Trinidad vs Honduras game went.

USA - Grenada
    17 Shots 5
    6 SOT 2
    58% POS 42%
    6 Fouls 6

:trophy: Matt Besler - 8.5 rating

GK - Howard
    RB - F Johnson
    CB - Goodson
    CB - Besler
    LB - Castillo
    CDM - Bradley
    RM - Corona
    LM - Shea
    CAM - Dempsey
    RST - Wondolowski
    LST - Gomez

NAWCQ Scores
    [​IMG]

24. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Standings after first round of games!

[​IMG]

25. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

[​IMG]
    United States Experiments, Ties With Australia
    8/15/12

Live Feed
    4' Dempsey breaks down the sideline, but outruns himself and runs the ball out of bounds- goal kick Australia.
    7' Dempsey receives a great ball over the top from Corona and sets a cross on a platter for Agudelo who finishes like a pro, 1-0 US.
    25' Aussies get a shot on goal but nothing to show for it.
    29' Corner kick for Australia, and the ball is laying around in fron of the goal, Williams gets his foot on it to tie things up. Many wanted an offsides call there.
    31' Pearce with the ball on the wing in the attacking third.. sends in a cross- Dempsey corrals is! Goal USA! 2-1 Americans!
    35' Australian striker Arranz has it outside the box and rips a shot- diving save by Howard!
    37' Cahill leads a break and dumps it off for a great shot, but another superb save by Howard.
    38' Brek Shea on for Joshua Gatt.
    45' USA up 2-1 at halftime, Eddie Johnson coming on for Agudelo, Geoff Cameron for Kljestan.
    54' Corner kick for Aussie's, headed away by Fabian Johnson.
    55' Eddie Johnson lays it off for a dashing Corona who rips a shot just wide right.
    68' Australia with a shot from the edge of the box, but Howard snags it.
    77' Australia gets a goal from Steve Cox on a fabulous cross from the edge and a great finish.
    80' Dempsey with a free kick from the edge of the box, hits it right to the keeper.
    84' Coach Kasperson calling for a more attacking approach here in the last 10 minutes.
    92' Game over, and we have a 2-2 tie.

Thoughts
    We tried a different lineup today, and had some guys playing in spots they weren't comfortable. I was happy to see a goal from Agudelo (even if it was on a platter form Dempsey) and I also got to try a new look in the midfield. I think if we had Bradley in with the group to play the defensive part, we would have been just fine- also possibly have our normal backline. I'm getting more and more comfortable with Joe Corona being involved in the attack. Also, a good showing from Heath Pearce who I have been curious about for a while. Finally, it was nice to see Zusi back on the pitch for the US... though he wasn't quite in shape and tired quickly, he looked good when out there.

USA - Australia
    7 Shots 15
    4 SOT 9
    11 Fouls 7
    0 Yellows 0
    44% Pos 56%

GK - Howard
    RB - Fabian Johnson
    CB - Gonzalez
    CB - Besler
    LB - Pearce