Tennessee Vols: A new Beginning

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by JCspartan2, Aug 4, 2009.

1. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Tennessee Vols: A new Beginning

This week the Vols returned to the Swap to take on #1 florida, hoping to catch them with their pants down after losing their coach. Tennesse, however, is also suffering a coaching change as Lane Kiffin had already worn out his welcome.
    The Vols obviously came out uneasy, giving up two quick scores in 3 plays to the Gators, with a Crompton INT mixed in. Tennessee tried to establish a running game early with Montario Hardesty, with varied success, but eventually had to abandon it to keep up with Tebow and the Gators.
    The passing attack has a lot of work to do, mainly from the receiving standpoint. Crompton was a measly 25-50 attempts, with 4 tds and 2 Ints. Most of his incompletions were dropped, 3 by #1 WR G. Jones. The standout performer for the Vols had to be unheralded WR Brandon Warren, who left the stadium with over 100 yards receiving.
    The turning point in the game came when the Vols had pulled within a TD, on the Florida 40 yard line, and Crompton missed a wide open Jones on a fly pattern. That play may have represented the only chance the Orange and White faithful had at pulling even.

2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Keepin' it 1hunnah.

Featured Threads:
    Good to see coach JC back.

3. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

Are you gonna tell recruits they will end up pumping gas if they play at south carolina?

4. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Haha...nope not for South Carolina...but for Bama...yes.

5. lucid947

lucid947 Guest

They'll be pumping gas for their brand new Escalades. Alabama has its share of problems, but college football player poverty isn't one of them.

6. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Rebound

[​IMG]

It's been a rough couple weeks for Tennessee. With their coach out of action for the last two games, the vols lost to MAC team Ohio University in OT, and lost a defensive battle to Auburn. Things didn't look good with #11 Georgia coming to town.

The Coach returns.

Tennessee started the game off with #1 receiver Gerald Jones going down for the game on the first play. The vols, led by 4th string receiver Austin Rodgers and RB Montario Hardesty, managed a couple of first downs but ultimately had to punt. The Volunteer D held up though, and forced a punt from Georgia on the next possession. Taking advantage, QB Crompton led the team to their first score on a ten yard QB scramble. On Tenn's next possession, Crompton was sacked in the endzone, fumbled, and Georgia recovered to tie the game. The teams exchanged blows going into halftime with a score of 17-10 in favor of Tennessee. Then things started to fall apart.
    On the Bulldog's first pos of the second half, RB King ran wild, ending with a field goal. 17-13 vols. Bulldog possession number two led to another long King run for a TD, 20-17 Georgia. On the following kickoff, Austin Rodgers fumbled, leading to another Bulldog's FG. Then, on the kickoff once again, Austin Rodgers put it on the turf for the second time in a row, resulting in a Bulldog touchdown. 30-17 Bulldogs, end of 3rd quarter.
    4th Quarter. Tennessee continued to turn the ball over. On a long 3rd down completion to Quentin Hancock, the bulldog saftey laid the lumber and Hancock lost the ball for another fumble (4th of the day for the Vols). The Tennessee defense rebounded from an awful 3rd quarter however and forced another punt. 5 minutes remaining. Crompton engineered a long drive down to the ten yard line only to throw an INT, his second of the day, only this time Crompton ran down the CB and trucked him, forcing the ball out of his hands and into the hands of a diving Volunteer. 3 min to go 30 yard line. Crompton then threw two beautiful passes, the second to Austin Rodgers for a TD. 30-24 Bulldogs, 2 min remaining. On the kickoff, M. Thornton for the vols raced down the field and punished the ball carrier, forcing yet another fumble and Tennessee fell on it. Vols ball, 30 yard line, 1:57 left. After a series of incompletions and a sack, on 4th down Crompton found Hancock for a 20 yard gain and a 1st down. After another sack, Crompton rebounded and hit D. Moore on a fly route from the slot for a TD. 31-30 Vols, 1:20 Remaining. The bulldogs opened their final drive with a long run by King, only to be called back for holding, which ended up costing them the game. On the next play, QB Cox was sacked for another loss. On 4th and 28 the Bulldog's had no choice but to go for it and came up short. The vols ran out the clock and so ended one of most exciting games I've played.

The Vols survived 6 turnovers and 2 key injuries to pull the upset.

I take my hat off for Mazzman as well. That game was frustrating for us both because of all the turnovers, but definitely exciting. It was the most sim game I've played on live. Thanks for the game Mazz.

7. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

WOW! I thought my game with BRI was something, that shit is crazy. How many fumbles in that game, 10?

8. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

I lost 4 fumbles, he lost 1, so 5 i suppose.

9. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

I lost 4 fumbles, he lost 1, so 5 i suppose.

10. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Dang that is a huge win. Good job man.

11. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Tennessee continues to turn its season around under coach JC. One game after upsetting Georgia in a wild win, the vols traveled to Alabama to take on the #7 Crimson Tide. Tennessee jumped on top with two quick scores, lead by RB Montario Hardesty and never looked back. Alabama scored twice in the 4th quarter after a couple of Jonathan Crompton turnovers to make it interesting, but the Vols defense ended that threat and hung on for their 2nd straight upset.

12. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

The Vols fourth win of the season was much less dramatic than the previous two. Tennessee jumped out to a 31-6 halftime lead behind strong running from Montario Hardesty, who averaged around 8 yards per carry. South Carolina had a couple touchdowns late, but that was mostly due to Tennessee playing prevent and not running up the score. Tennessee is creeping up in the SEC standings, watch out florida.

13. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Nice turn around. What was their record when you took over.

14. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Tenn v Ole Miss

Coach JC might have to be mentioned among the coach of the year candidates. The vols came away with their third upset of the season. Coach Perry's team was completely shut down until the 4th quarter when they finally put a drive together to pull within one score, Tennessee answered however to put the game away with a minute to go. Tennessee managed to win the game without their top player RB Montario Hardesty, who was injured on the first possession for the remainder of the game. For Ole Miss, RB Bolden was in and out of the game with injuries as well. It was a well played game on both sides, it ended up coming down to the passing game, and the Vols pulled it out behind 3 TDs from QB Crompton.

15. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Nice win. I'm glad to see you guys get it in. What was Tennessee's record when you took over.

16. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

Dude that was withut a doubt the hardest user game I have ever played. Your defense is a force to be reckoned with

17. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Tennessee was 1-1 when I took them over. I lost to florida in my first game with them (I didn't make any depth chart adjustments, the cpu had one of my tight ends returning kicks haha). And then I was out of town for a week and missed two games. So Tenn was 1-4 when I returned. I beat Maz that week by one point and the rest is history.

18. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Capitol One Bowl

It's taken me a few days to burn off the steam from this game. Tennessee could not have had worse luck against the Buckeyes. The team fumbled 5 total times...4 from Star RB Montario Hardesty, and the other coming from QB Jonathon Crompton. The biggest problem Tennessee had during this drubbing was the offensive line. A unit that had been a strength all season was manhandled by the buckeyes front 7 and Crompton had no time to throw while coming from behind. Crompton has to take plenty of the blame as well, he missed some wide open receivers and threw a couple picks. Senior WR Austin Rogers was also credited with 4 drops during the contest. All in all, a terrible performance by the vols. Crompton better be looking over his shoulder with four star QB recruit Courtney Burton coming in next year.