Tennessee Volunteers Game Summaries.

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jam., Oct 30, 2009.

1. Jam.

Jam. FIU; Sun Belt Champions!

Tennessee Volunteers Game Summaries.

Under New Coach, Vols Play Inspired Football;
    Tennessee defeats #20 LSU, 21-7

[​IMG]

University of Tennessee, TN- Much was made during the last week over the hiring of new coach, Jam1278. Mid-season coaching changes are rare, but after a 4-3 start, the Volunteers decided they needed to make a change.

Coach Jam had little head coaching experience, but he seemed like a man on a mission this week, eager to prove himself to his new fans. We were told we'd run the ball, and stop the run. We were told our defense would be suffocating and force mistakes. But most importantly, we were told we'd win games.

Well, so far, Coach Jam has been Nostradamus. The Volunteers displayed the epitome of a run-first offense, only asking Red Shirt Sophomore Micheal Rozier to throw the ball 9 times. All-American Bryce Brown showcased his talent in front of 108,194 fans, running 35 times for 167 yards and 2 touchdowns, but fumbling once.

The defense was nothing short of spectacular, holding a talented LSU team to only 7 points, their lowest total of the season (?). LSU's Senior QB Jordan Jefferson was a measly 9-19, 145 yards and a touchdown. But most importantly, he was forced into 2 interceptions by the ballhawking defensive backs of the Volunteers.

It's safe to say that Tennessee may have found a true coaching gem in Coach Jam, as they might find themselves back in the top 25 after this impressive win.

The Volunteers next game is against 1-7 (0-7) Duke at 1:00, as the soft portion of the schedule is upcoming. The Volunteers find themselves playing 1-7 Duke, at 1-6 Kentucky, and against 3-5 Vanderbilt. Its very possible for our Volunteers to be 8-3 going into their last game of the season against Texas A&M on November 26.

2. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

You did better agaist lsu than i did lol i had to comeback..too bad you took over too late...the best you can do is Recover whats left of the season get some recruits in and plan for next year. Good Job Tenn

3. Jam.

Yep thats the plan.

Sadly it looks like my two shutdown corners are leaving next year, one is a senior and the other is good enough to be drafted.

That's gonna really hurt my defense, and the computer so far hasn't been recruiting any CBs! So now I gotta get a late start on that, lol.

4. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

If i was you, I would go hard after that junior in the offseason, most the time they stay...havent had to many ever jump ship in 3 season so i think you will be good...also remember this offseason new recruits are added so a few corners may be lookin to be a vol...Ill be hurting on WR next year as i lose 3 90+ WR's and Benton Is free to leave via the draft

5. Jam.

Damn, that sucks for you. And thanks for the advice, hopefully i could persuade him to stay.

6. Jam.

Taking Care of Business; #23 Tennessee Downs Duke, 42-7

[​IMG]

Knoxville, TN - With both teams coming off big wins in their previous weeks, this game had 'let down game' written all over it for the Tennessee Volunteers. But it's hard to imagine our Volunteers to lose games against lesser teams with the way running back Bryce Brown and our Volunteer defense is playing.

Sticking to what he knows best, Coach Jam dialed up the run plays against this vulnerable Blue Devil front seven. Bryce Brown got the ball an almost obscene 48 times for 250 yards (featuring a 47 yard run;http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/12746091) and 4 touchdowns, a performance worthy of his All-American caliber. Meanwhile, QB Rozier chose his spots carefully, completing 9 out of 14 passes (with 3 drops), for 135 yards and 2 touchdowns.

But the offense isn't the only unit that dominated today. We hate to use the word 'suffocating' too often, but that is the only adjective possible for the way the Volunteer defense played this afternoon in the driving snow. The defensive line for the Volunteers absolutely manhandled the undersized offensive line of the Blue Devils.

Coach Jam was able to drop seven into coverage, as the front four was able to provide consistent pressure, and as you know, pressure causes mistakes. The Volunteers forced 1 interception while recording 4 sacks, and not allowing the Blue Devils to convert a single 3rd down (the touchdown was on a 4th down play). Redshirt Junior Steven Fowlkes had a career game, recording seven tackles (5 for loss) and 3 sacks (featuring an 8 yard sack late in the 4th quarter; http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/12746173).
    Coach Jam told us in the pregame presser that he felt Fowlkes could exploit what he thought was a mismatch for the RT of the Blue Devils, needless to say, he did not disappoint.

#23 Tennessee gears up to play against rival 1-7 (1-5) Kentucky next week.

Players of the game:

Offense: Bryce Brown; 48 attempts, 250 yards, 4 touchdowns.

Defense: Steven Fowlkes; 7 tackles, 5 TFL, 3 sacks.

7. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Bryce Brown is a Beast!

8. Jam.

Haha he was ridiculous in this game, I was notching off gains of 7-12 yards almost every running play.

9. thievaryx

thievaryx Walk On

very cool, I have to learn how to upload highlights :beernana:

10. Jam.

There is a very helpful guide in the Locker Room forum.

11. Jam.

All Smiles in Knoxville; #23 Tennessee Defeats SEC Rival Kentucky, 38-14

[​IMG]

Knoxville, TN - The Volunteers' game against Kentucky Wildcats may have answered two pressing questions about Coach Jam's coaching ability. He has proven that he has the capacity to run the ball effectively, but what if the run is taken away? Also, how well will Coach Jam's team play in front of a hostile crowd, on the road? These questions were answered today, and in earnest.

On the first offensive drive of the game, the Wildcats' defensive philosophy was apparent. Stack 8 in the box, and force them to beat you through the air. Micheal Rozier was more than happy to oblige.

Though through most of the first half Bryce Brown was held in check, the Volunteer offense did not miss a beat. Using deceptive play action as his greatest weapon, (RS) Sophomore Michael Rozier completed 14 of 17 passes for 241 yards and 3 touchdowns (including this 31 yard touchdown strike; http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/12846202). But most importantly, he threw no interceptions. Coach Jam decided to let his 6' 5" quarterback do what he could, and Rozier rose up to the challenge.

To Coach Jam's credit, he never truly abandoned his offensive gameplan, even after Rozier began really getting in sync with his recievers. He continued to grind the ball in between the tackles with Bryce Brown, and once Rozier began completing plays down the field, the running game opened up. Brown finished with 30 attempts for 160 yards and 2 touchdowns (including this 7 yard touchdown run; http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/12845917).

The Volunteer defense played well, but had trouble stopping the run throughout the game, giving up 88 yards on the ground. However, the pass defense continued its stellar work, forcing yet another interception and only allowing 157 yards through the air.

The #23 Volunteers are poised to face off against 3-6 Vanderbilt at Neyland Stadium next Saturday, before their biggest game of the season against Texas A&M.

12. Jam.

What Can Brown Do For You?; #19 Tennessee Defeats Rival Vanderbilt, 38-10

[​IMG]

Knoxville, TN - The upset was not in the cards for the Vanderbilt Commodores on this chilly Saturday afternoon in Knoxville, as the Volunteers improve to 3-0 under new their new coach, Coach Jam. It was business as usual for the Volunteers, as they continued their dominance of the ground game.

Coach Jam showed his experience in running a 'ground and pound' based attack, especially after his running plays to the outside began to be stuffed in the backfield. Tennessee mostly runs plays out of the 'Ace' formation, and Vanderbilt wisely countered this by blitzing a slot cornerback on plays where they were expecting run, effectively hampering Bryce Brown's ability to get to the outside. However, Coach Jam fixed this issue to switching to an offensive running scheme based out of the 'I' formation, with a fullback as a blocker in the backfield.

This new blocker enabled the fullback to pick up that extra blitzer, and allow Brown to continue his torrid pace on the ground. Bryce Brown truly was a renaissance man today, picking up 298 all-purpose yards. This included 34 rushing attempts for 240 yards and 3 touchdowns (featuring this 15 yard run; http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/12898060) but fumbling once. Backup RB Tauren Poole helped in the mop-up duty, using 6 rushing attempts to pick up 43 yards, and ending up with a higher average than Brown (7.1 to 7.0).

More of the same from Rozier, as he mostly handed the ball off to his talented running back, and completed a few crucial third down plays. He finished with 6 completions out of 7 attempts for 95 yards and 2 touchdowns (including this 4 yard TD throw; http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/12898150).

The defense played lights out yet again, as they held a confused Commodore offense to 10 points, and recording one sack.

The #19 Tennessee Volunteers gear up to face #24 Texas A&M, coached by Dean, in a game that will have certain bowl implications.

13. Jam.

Heartbreaker in Neyland; #15 Tennessee Loses to #17 Texas A&M (Dean), 55-52

[​IMG]

Knoxville, TN - The honeymoon is over, coach. In a shootout for the ages, Tennessee came to within 4 seconds of going into overtime, and having a chance to secure a victory.

In a game featuring a 38 points 4th quarter, Rozier throwing for 4 touchdowns and 1 interception, Bryce Brown gaining 253 yards and 3 touchdowns, and WR Allen Paige receiving for 88 yards and 2 touchdowns, the Volunteers found a way to lose.

The defense, a unit that has been a consistent shut down presence, gave up 483 yards, 19 first downs, but most importantly, 55 points. The Texas A&M running backs (which I said in my preview needed to be contained) ran wild, gaining over 150 yards.

The special teams also was terrible, with the Texas A&M average field position being the 40 yard line, and allowing a kickoff return for a touchdown.

But perhaps the most frustrating thing about this loss is it ending with Coach Jam still having 3 timeouts. With time running out, and Texas A&M obviously trying to run the clock out to kick a field goal, Coach Jam inexplicably neglected to use a timeout.

Coach Jam will have to answer many questions about the timeouts and his defense heading into this bye week before the Bowls start.

[Editor's Note: Sorry about no highlights, I forgot to save them.]

14. Jam.

Another Hearbreaker for the Vols; Tennessee loses in the Outback Bowl to Iowa, 31-28

[​IMG]

Knoxville, TN - In the last game of the year for Tennessee and Iowa, the Volunteers lose their second game in a row, and each more heartbreaking than the next. This time, coaching is not to blame, but rather the kicker (pictured above), who missed a chip shot field goal in overtime which basically guaranteed a Tennessee loss.

This was truly a memorable game, full of ups and downs. Its hard to imagine two teams more evenly matched, as the coaches were playing an intricate chess game all throughout this exciting match up. Bryce Brown ran for over 250 yards yet again, but in a losing effort.

With 16 seconds on the clock, Iowa was able to drive down the field for a game tying touchdown with only 1 second remaining. In overtime the Volunteers were unable to gain a first down which left their kicker with a 32 yard field goal from the right hash mark. He was unable to hook it to the left enough as the 14 MPH wind pushed it wide right.

Iowa's kicker was right on the money as he kicked a 32 yard field goal from the middle of the field, splitting the uprights and giving the Hawkeyes a bowl win.

In a season of "what-ifs", the Volunteers finish 8-5 and have high hopes for next season.