Tennessee vs. Virginia Tech: A coaches perspective

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Mogriffjr, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Tennessee vs. Virginia Tech: A coaches perspective

Recently we sat down with Coach Moreecemos, two time BCS champion coach and the guy who's team so happened to lose to both of the teams in the BCS championship game this year.

First off, how do you feel your team played overall this year?
    ---Well I think we played well despite some inconsistent QB play. Jeremy Cooke won the QB job out of camp but really wasn't ready to play a big time QB for us. It was a huge transition for Cooke and my staff because we were so use to having dual threat QB's run our offense. When we put Jones in there, he stabilized us. I just think we had an issue of finding our identity and part of that was my fault on the offensive side. I'ma passing coach and I should have recognized that with the improvement of Perry throughout the season and Jones being inserted into the lineup we should have ran more and I felt we DID do that towards the end of the season.

You played both of these clubs...which one was better?
    ---It's hard to decipher. When we played VT, we were a team without an true identity. We had Cooke out there and he really had a hard time with their defense. Perry didn't do much in that game so he struggled. Our defense kept giving up big games. We held the TOP over VT which either was a result of our poor defense that day or how we had to air it out to try to get back into the game.

Against Tennessee, their team speed just overwhelmed us. We had a good gameplan against them with Jones in there. We tried to keep the ball on the ground more and shorten the game. We did that of sorts but again their quick strike offense hurt us and this team wasn't a team I felt we had the horses to come back from behind and score on anyone in the country. My previous years I've been here, I felt confident we could score and put up 40+ against any team in the nation.

In the end I felt Tennessee has the better athletes but at this point, VT is the better coached team.

Any advice for the teams?
    ---Well for VaTech, after looking over the Tennessee tape, they LOVE the crossing patterns. They start track stars along their receiving corps and they'll run slants/crosses across the field to get most of their yards. Surprising enough, they really didn't test us deep and that was a shock. A team who likes to confuse like VaTech could lull UT into a false sense and can pick them off. Their run game on one drive against us was just demoralizing, pounding us run after run for 1st down and for the score. Don't be mistaken, I feel since UT really doesn't trust his RB's, he's become more of a west coast short passing team that looks to get YAC as he gets his guys into space. Also if VT can effectively flood that middle of the field and force UT to pass towards the sidelines, I feel they will have some success there.

UT's defense can be moved upon. Jenkins is a special kid at end but the best pass rush i've seen was Miami's this year. They can be ran upon and someone like Howard, who has some wheels can get yards if one of those ends get too far upfield. Burton has to show up. The key in this game on VT's side will be if that RB corps led by Burton/Heinz can keep that YAC offense off the field.

For UT, they have to watch out for quick passes. Two step drop, the ball is out to a TE or RB/WR. Howard hasn't developed into a true pocket passing QB. He likes to move around A LOT and to look for Ellis, who just had a monster game recently. Those ends have to be careful rushing around the tackles as VT will exploit that and take that open field all day. VT is more of a running team and they've become adept at running off tackle. Burton is a top freshman back right now and like I said he's the key for VT.

On defense they have to be aware of that safety. He plays similar to my guy here at GT, George Dunn. He'll look to take away that quick pass or your first option on offense. Against UT that maybe fatal because they like to A- wait for that crossing pattern to open or B- run a 2nd tier route similar across the field the same way or opposite going the other way are the things they'll have to continue to do against VT.

Who are the key players in this game?
    ---Well they are ironically two tall behemoths from each team. Jeff Ellis isn't the speedy guy but his length and height make him a bailout option if Howards needs him. He is that passing offense. You want to make VT pass to those other options as he'll rely heavily on Ellis.

For UT, it's clearly Carlson. The best WR in the nation with his speed and size combo. He hasn't racked up tons of yardage this year but he's capable. He opens up the field George and Dingle, the two other speedsters of that offense.

What's your prediction?
    ---At this point, I just feel like the SEC has that athlete advantage. Right now VT's team speed isn't there. They have to contend with that track meet over there in Tennessee and I don't feel they can do it.

UT- 35, VT- 20

2. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Good thing I can recruit, cause Mo obviously doesnt think I can coach.

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Hahaha that is what I was going to say....

The thing about Rusty is he isn't the greatest stick control guy but doesn't need to be.

What he does well is

1) Scheme

2) Recruit

3) Run the ball well on the interior and make good decisions (for the most part) in the passing game.

I think you under rate his ability to scheme. It seems like all-out aggression but there's more to it than that. you will notice it if you play him a couple more times.

4. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

When are we could to change the name of this dynasty to Tennessee vs the ACC?

5. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Bruce Burton has been out for the season with a Rotator Cuff Tear. He wont be playing.

Nice write up MO. We will be practicing and we will have a gameplan. It will be about execution and not falling behind. We feel like we need to have a lead and put the pressure on UT. We dont feel like we can comeback from a 10+ deficit.

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    well i couldn't say the guy was perfect! lol...