Texas Longhorns - Dru50

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Dru50, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Texas Longhorns - Dru50

2010 Playbooks:
    Offense - Oklahoma
    Defense - 4-3

2011 Playbooks:
    Offense - Alabama
    Defense - 4-3

2. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Offense:
    balanced on offense. Likes PA bootlegs.
    watch for slants and posts over the middle. Runs speed option with Chiles.

Defense:
    very good run defense. passing defense is good, but there are holes mid-range and downfield. will get pressure with 3 down lineman in passing situations. he was playing pass for most of our game as I fell behind early and couldnt get the run-game going so take my advice with a grain of salt.

3. Dru50

Coach Dru informed the media that John Chiles has won the starting qb job on the eve of the opening game vs Rice. Scouts speculate that this will lead to a more spread-option look from the Longhorns. Coach Dru also told the media that the team will move to a 4-2-5 defense in order to get as many of the teams senior safety's on the field as much as possible.

Offense - Florida
    Defense - 4-2-5

Although if I bomb in my first two games or vs OSU, the old playbooks from last year will see a return.

4. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Kind of funny, I switched from Florida's playbook to the Texas playbook while you did the complete opposite. Maybe we are using the wrong teams :).

5. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

I have also switched to the Texas playbook. I'm thinking of using Oklahoma's as well.

6. Dru50

The Oklahoma playbook is by far my favorite. It's very balanced and you can run about any kind of offense you want, except for option running.

With John Chiles and the 4 starting WR's I had though I was thinking I needed to use a playbook with more spread concepts, since Chiles has 95 speed and my starting WR's have speeds of 95, 93, 96 and 96. The key will be can Chiles throw well enough when the spread running game fails in user games (which I fully expect since I haven't figured out how to run successfully from shotgun this year).

If Chiles struggles, I can promote Gilbert to the starter and move back to the Oklahoma playbook after the OSU game.

7. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Yeah I had trouble getting consistent run game in user games with Florida's playbook, as you witnessed in our game. I like the Florida playbook for big plays but it doesn't work well with my current QB. Brantley is too slow to consistently run out of option and Florida's playbook only has about 20 non-option run plays (excluding Goal Line).

8. Dru50

The key to running the Florida playbook (from my limited use of it) seems to be that you have to be willing to expose your QB to running A LOT. Half the shotgun runs are qb runs, including most of the formation specific run audibles. I think I can make it work with Chiles, who is 220 lbs with great speed and breaking tackles. The concern I have is if he is carrying it 15+ times a game, how long can he stay healthy?

But I see your point that without a qb with near 90 speed I'm not sure running consistently from the Florida playbook is very possible, since the OL AI logic is so busted in shotgun running plays.

9. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Tebow took a beating all season in my first season, he was running 15+ plays per game. He actually didn't get hurt all season till my bowl game against Texas in the first season. I don't remember his final numbers but he had well over 100 carries and probably was very close to 200 carries.

Your QB is faster than all but 1 RB on my team and he is faster than most of my WR's.

10. Dru50

Yeah, he's a burner, but his throwing is a bit dicey (87 THP and 82 THA if I remember). He's like Terrell Pryor in the game except EA really was more generous to Pryor in the throwing stats department. I was tempted to play him last season after I moved him back to QB from WR but his THA was less than 80 last year.

11. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I had a CB (Joe Haden) who in real life was supposed to be a backup QB behind Tebow/Brantley. He was 95 speed and his throwing numbers were both in the 80's. Sadly I couldn't use him at QB because Mors said no and he left for draft before I could change his position.

12. Dru50

That's wierd that he said no. When I took over Texas last season I asked him if I could switch Chiles from WR to QB (he came to Texas as a QB and moved to WR in 2009 to get playing time). At the time he had 91 speed and 84 THP and 78 THA I believe, and Mors had no issue with it since he was a QB recruit initially and had the apporpriate stats to play QB, especially since he was a worse QB prospect than Pryor anyway. That sucks though for you, since it sounds like he would have been really good in the spread offense you ran last year.

13. Dru50

As mentioned in the main page, Coach Dru has elected to move away from the Florida spread option offense, as the OL and HB's can't seem to figure out how to have any running consistency from the shotgun. In an effort to keep some triple option looks in the offense, but also get as many of our WR's on the field as possible, the coaching staff is considering going with the South Carolina playbook, or may just go back to the Oklahoma playbook that was so good to us last season.

On defense, the coaches are moving away from the 4-2-5 and back to the 4-3. The backup FS and SS (who are seniors) will man the nickel and dime back spots in an effort to get them on the field as much as we can.

Regarding the defense, I'm not using the 4-2-5 or 3-3-5 because it seems that any of the blitzes in those playbooks cause the computer to lose it's marbles and throw the ball almost immediately. In 5 practice games using our sliders (including some against one of the other user teams) I never gave up more than 2 TD's in a game and the computer was consistently throwing 30-35% completions because they were just chucking it right away. It just felt 'wrong' to use this defense, so I'm going back to what I know in the 4-3.

14. Dru50

Texas is still experimenting with playbooks on offense and defense. I will have it finalized prior to the OSU gam.

15. Dru50

Offense - Auburn
    Defense - 4-2-5

Final answer (for 2011 I hope).

16. Dru50

After seeing what happens if the offense is purely spread and Chiles is hurt (ie - Gilbert isn't ready to run a spread attack), Coach Dru is moving to the run balanced playbook on offense.

As mentioned in the game summaries, the experiment with the 4-2-5 is over and I'm sticking with the 4-3. This Texas team has enough athletes that I don't think I need a gimmicky defense to generate a pass rush.

17. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

I'm probably not going to be the best at doing these because I just get into the flow of the game and don't pay as much attention to what the other guy is doing but I will give it a try.

Offense - didn't have to do much in this game because of the 5 picks his D got but seemed to mix things up pretty well with runs to the outside, inside and giving the FB a few runs as well. His passing game seemed to be mostly slants and post routes to #4 (Williams).

Defense - seemed to play quite a bit of zone, his D backs and LB's must be all former WR's because they caught everything near them, very tough against the run. Seemed to switch between LB, DT and S pretty evenly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.