Texas Longhorns -Hornfaninbama (BulgyTexas)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by hornfaninbama, Nov 17, 2009.

1. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

Texas Longhorns -Hornfaninbama (BulgyTexas)

Texas Longhorns Win Season Opener
    Dominant Second Half Leads to Rout

Austin, TX- The Heisman candidacy of Sr. QB Colt McCoy got off to a rocky start on Saturday. The QB passed for 327 yards and 3 TD but also managed to throw 3 passes to the ULM Warhawks. All three were intercepted by SR MLB Cardia Jackson.

The rest of the offense fared well in the season and home opener with Cody Johnson and Fozzy Whittaker combining for 28 carries for 179 yards and 2 TD. Johnson led the team with 17 carries for 113 yards and a TD.
    Coach Bulgy was not happy with the way his team performed on the field this week, “If we play like that against any team in the Big XII we will get beat, and not just beat, but stomped. Our starting SR QB cannot come out and play the way he did in the first half.†McCoy managed to throw 2 picks in the first half. One of the picks was in the endzone after the Horns had driven the length of the field on their first drive. The Horns redzone worries weren’t all McCoy’s. The Horns also lost 2 fumbles in the redzone. The Longhorns had 9 drives inside the Warhawk’s 20 yard line only to have 3 of them end in turnovers.

Coach Bulgy went on to say that he was happy with the way the runners were able to pound the ball all game long. “When we can have 2 guys run as hard as Fozzy and Cody did all day we have the chance to be very successful. But we can’t turn the ball over like we did today. We put our defense in some tough situations.â€ÂÂ

The defense played admirably against the run; only allowing 37 yards on 34 carries and also managed to come up with 4 sacks. 2 by OLB Kheeston Randle. They played well in pass defense too, but struggled to make tackles in open space. Warhawk QB Trey Revell only completed 12 passes but threw for 299 yards, a testament to the Horns problems making tackles. They did force 3 interceptions, 2 by MLB Roddrick Muckelroy and one by Chykie Brown.
    Coach Bulgy was adamant that his defense would perform better this week against Wyoming. He takes the team into Laramie to face the Cowboys. The Longhorns better not take them lightly as last season the dropped the Tennessee Volunteers in Knoxville.

Senior QB Colt McCoy said, “I will play better next week. I have to, this team looks to me for leadership. If I am not on, this offense can’t function to its full capabilities. When I throw well it opens up lots of lanes for the guys carrying the ball, and I need to be more careful with it.†McCoy acknowledged he forced some passes last week and that he needs to be less of a gunslinger in the pocket.

The Longhorns take on the Cowboys Saturday night at 7pm on cable channel VS.

2. hornfaninbama

Longhorns Storm Laramie

Shutout the Cowboys

Laramie, WY- The Texas Longhorns responded to Coach Bulgy’s tirade following last week’s game against the ULM Warhawks by dominating the Wyoming Cowboys in every facet of the game 58-0.
    The Longhorns had 520 yards of offense compared to Wyoming’s 65, and led 45-0 at halftime. Colt McCoy and the rest of the Longhorn starters returned from halftime in street clothes and watched the lead grow by a few more scores before final gun sounded.

“I knew our guys had it in them to play this well and they responded this week. There weren’t a lot of missed tackles and it shows in the stats.†The Longhorns forced 3 and out after 3 and out by the Cowboy offense and grabbed 4 turnovers, 3 interceptions and a fumble. The one time they allowed the Cowboys to cross midfield they still set up the offense with a short field thanks to John Chiles’ 42 yard punt return.

“John was real important to us today. He was explosive every time he touched the ball which is what we expect out of him.†Chiles had TD receiving and rushing and added 116 yards of punt return yardage.

The Horns created pressure all day, and sacked freshman QB Austyn Carta Samuels 6 times, with each sack coming from a different player. Coach Bulgy said, “That’s what we like to do. We don’t want any one player to be a key for the offense. We want them to have to account for every player on every play.†The Horns 3 interceptions also came from 3 different players with Chykie Brown, Earl Thomas, and Curtis Brown collecting errant passes. Curtis Brown managed to scamper 66 yards for a TD after his interception.

The running game got going early for the Horns. On their second drive of the game Colt McCoy kept the ball on an option play and ran for 59 yards before being brought down. That run led to a short TD run by Cody Johnson who finished with 10 carries for 56 yards, all in the first half. Fozzy Whittaker picked up the slack from there on out carrying the ball 16 times in the second half for over 100 yards. John Chiles scored a TD on a 29 yard run out of the Wildcat formation early in the 4th quarter.

“We wanted to get everyone involved in the run game. It’s called a spread offense for a reason.†The Spread offense spread the ball around in the passing game too. McCoy threw 4 TD passes in the first half; 2 to Malcolm Williams, and 1 each to DJ Grant, and John Chiles. McCoy finished 13-16 for 181, and added almost 60 yards rushing.

The Longhorns outrushed the Cowboys 303 yards to (-14) yards. And dominated time of posession 25:01 to 7:35.

The Longhorns are at home next week vs the Texas Tech Red Raiders. The Red Raiders knocked the Longhorns out of the title hunt last season, so there is some bad blood for next week’s game.

3. hornfaninbama

Texas Destroys Texas Tech

Longhorns Win 59-17

Austin, TX- The Texas Longhorns started the 2nd quarter down by 7 points and ended the second quarter up 21. Colt McCoy threw for 4 of his 5 TD passes in the 2nd quarter to turn a 10-7 deficit into a 31-10 lead.

McCoy was seen getting in his wider receivers faces when the offense began the second quarter with a 3 and out. The receiver’s responded to his challenge. The Texas defense intercepted Taylor Potts on a screen pass, and set the offense up with a short field. McCoy found TE Dan Buckner for a 22 yard TD on the first play of the drive to tie the game up.

Jordan Shipley stepped up on the next series beating single coverage on a deep route for a 32 yard TD. When the offense stepped on the field the next time Malcolm Williams made an amazing play on the ball in the corner of the endzone for a TD. McCoy floated the ball in between 2 defenders and Williams went and got it before being drilled while in the air. On first look he appeared to miss dragging a foot, but the play was reviewed and ruled a TD to get the Horns a 24-10 lead. Williams also scored the next TD to put the Horns up 31-10 and effectively kill the Tech will to win. McCoy said, “Big M just went and made a play. We know he is one of the most physically talented receivers in all of college football. He makes plays like that every day in practice. I don’t know if he was looking at his feet or not, but for him to be able to get his foot down was incredible.”

McCoy finished the game 13-23 for 223 and 5 TD with one interception. Coach Bulgy said he knows they need to get the wide receivers involved in the passing game. “The last few weeks we have been too concentrated on the slot guys, but this week in practice we made a concerted effort to get the outside guys the ball and that’s where we have the ability to stretch the defense.” Shipley ended the day with 3 catches for 84 yards and 2 TD, and Williams had 4 for 69 and also 2 TD.

The defense played well for the second consecutive week, only allowing 10 points until Tech scored with :16 seconds to go on an 84 yard TD pass from Taylor Potts to Detron Lewis. They held the high powered Tech offense to 219 yards and forced 4 interceptions, all by linebackers. Without the 84 yard play the Tech offense would have been held to 135 yards of total offense. The defense also forced 2 fumbles but both were recovered by the Red Raiders. They forced 5 sacks by 5 different players. Blake Gideon led the defense with 8 tackles and a sack. Sr. MLB Roddrick Muckelroy had a great game as well with 7 tackles 2 TFL and an interception. His interception on a screen pass really helped Texas break out of it’s funk. “Any time you can come up with the ball on defense it’s a good play and a significant momentum changer. Especially when the offense score a TD the very next play.” Muckelroy went on to say that he hopes the defense keeps playing this way the rest of the season. Coach Bulgy agreed, “Any time you can make a team one dimensional, it makes it easier to defend. Our offense can help with that by scoring, but when you can hold a team to 18 yards on 23 carries, it helps too.”

The Longhorns travel to El Paso next week to take on system rival UTEP.

4. hornfaninbama

Texas Clobbers UTEP
    Texas Dominant on the road

El Paso, TX- Some people questioned if the Texas Longhorns could perform well on the road…consider those questions answered. The offense rolled up 536 yards of offense and 56 points on the road in El Paso against system rival UTEP. The defense stifled the Miners offense only allowing 165 yards of offense held the Miners to 2 TD’s. One on the first drive of the game and one on the last.

Colt McCoy continued his Heisman trophy campaign by throwing for 260 yards and 3 TD’s on 16 of 19 passing and led the team in rushing yards with 75 and another TD on the ground. Fozzy Whittaker had another 75 yards on the ground and scored twice. Cody Johnson added 2 TD’s on 4 carries for 3 yards in short yardage goal line duty.

John Chiles caught one of McCoy’s TD passes and led the team with 104 yards to keep his name in the Heisman race following his record setting day last week against Texas Tech. The Miners were content to led freshman speedster D.J. Monroe return both kickoffs and tried to keep it out of the explosive Chiles’ hands. Chiles did return punts and nearly broke a long one but was stopped after 19 yards, by the punter.

The Longhorns dominated the UTEP offense and sacked Trevor Vittatoe 4 times. Twice by Ben Wells and once by Sergio Kindle and Lamarr Houston. As good as the Horns were against the pass, only allowing 73 yards through the air, they weren’t very good defending the run. The defense allowed David Buckram to pound away 25 times for 109 yards. His total was bolstered by a mesmerizing 58 yard scamper that saw him break 4 tackles before being brought down from behind by Chykie Brown.

The Longhorns are off next week before their second conference game of the year against Colorado.

5. hornfaninbama

Texas Slips Past Colorado​

Defensive Woes Continue​

Austin, TX- The Texas Longhorns escaped the upset minded Colorado Buffaloes 20-14 due mostly to the slippery fingered offense of Colorado.
    The offense of the Horns stalled against the stout defense of Colorado only amassing 241 total yards. The Longhorns tried to overpower the Buffalo defense with an I formation heavy game plan, but were stopped stone cold in their tracks. Two weeks ago Fozzy Whittaker rushed for 75 yards and 2 TD’s but was stonewalled against Colorado being held to 1 yard on 6 attempts. Cody Johnson carried 15 times for 67 yards. Colt McCoy had his first bad performance of the season only going 10-19 for 150 yards with 1 TD and 2 interceptions. Both of his interceptions came in the Colorado redzone and stalled possible TD drives.

One of McCoy’s interceptions came on a fade to Malcolm Williams that was an awful read. “I saw no one was one Big M on the outside and tried to look off the corner to the inside, but he jumped the fade right as I threw it and made a great play.†McCoy did connect with Malcolm Williams on one TD however.

On the first drive of the second half Colt McCoy connected with Williams over the middle. The receiver made a defensive back miss and out ran the rest of the defense for a 70 yard TD. That was the lone highlight for the Horns on offense.

The Horn’s had two interceptions from McCoy, but still won the turnover battle thanks to Colorado putting the ball on the ground 7 times. The Longhorn defense recovered 5 of the fumbles, with Deon Beasley returning one 38 yards for a score to make the game 20-7 in Texas’ favor.

Defensive coordinator Will Muschamp said, “Our defense was really dropping guys this week, they were laying the ball carrier out just about every time they touched it. On a day when the offense plays this way it’s important to step up on defense and create some points if need be.†The Longhorns allowed 318 yards through the air, but bottled up the talented Colorado running backs, only allowing 5 yards on 26 carries and just one TD.

Hunter Lawrence had a great day kicking field goals booting a 44 yarder in the first quarter and also a career long 56 yarder in the fourth quarter to extend the Horns lead to 13-7. “I couldn’t believe I made it.†Lawrence said, “I just connected really well with the ball and it carried through the uprights.†He hit a few long distance field goals in warm-ups, but according to Lawrence, “It’s a different ball game when you have 10 or 11 guys running in trying to block the kick. The line did a great job not allowing anyone to get their hands up and when it cleared them I thought it might have a chance.â€ÂÂ

Coach Bulgy got some good news later in the weekend when 6’6 240 pound Robert Warren from New Mexico gave a soft commit to offensive coordinator Major Applewhite. “I just wanted to go to a program where I would have a chance to compete for titles, both Big XII and national and Texas seemed like a great place to go. I still want to see if Texas is right for me, but I had a great time on the visit there; especially getting to see the amazing facilities they have in Austin. I know they will help prepare me for the pro’s which is important to me as well.†Warren is the #12 ranked quarterback in the class and has a huge arm. Due to his size and arm strength he has been compared to current Arkansas and former Texarkana Texas standout Ryan Mallet.

6. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

How on early did you get 5 fumble recoveries ive never got more then 2

7. hornfaninbama

I honestly have no idea. I had the defensive settings at normal. I did have a boatload of user big hits though. It got to the point where it was ridiculous. I know Shmeezil fumbled and lost the ball on consecutive offensive snaps more than once. I felt bad for him because he was going up and down the field and stopping my offense.

8. hornfaninbama

Texas Survives Comeback Scare

Defeats OU 41-37

Dallas, TX- Colt McCoy thought his day was over, but it turned out to just be beginning. Coach Bulgy felt his team had shown enough and began to melt the clock and empty his bench, only to have the arch rival Sooners close a 38-17 gap to 38-31 in the fourth quarter Saturday at the Cotton Bowl.
    Colt McCoy did a masterful job directing the offense, but true freshman Garett Gilbert did not fare as well against the talented Oklahoma defense.

McCoy led the Horns on scoring drives on every possession of the first half to take a 31-14 lead into the locker room. He was at his best on the final drive of the second quarter.

The Sooners had driven inside the Texas 10 yard line when Landry Jones threw an interception to Aaron Williams in the end zone. The ball was brought out to the 20 yard line. Texas had all 3 timeouts to work with and McCoy made the Sooners pay.

With :35 seconds on the clock every one inside the Cotton Bowl was expecting the Horns to simply run out the clock, but Colt McCoy and Malcolm Williams had other plans. On the first play of the drive Williams got behind the defense on a post route and McCoy found him for a 37 yard gain to move Texas across the 50 to the OU 47. With :21 seconds on the clock Coach Bulgy decided to go for the end zone and McCoy found James Kirkendoll on consecutive plays to move the ball to the OU 11 yard line. McCoy called Texas’ second timeout and they tried for the end zone on the next play. McCoy rolled to his right and found Malcolm Williams diving in the back of the end zone for an 11 yard TD with: 01 on the clock. That moved the tally to 31-14 in the Horns favor.

Coach Bulgy says he wants to get Garett Gilbert meaningful snaps as a true freshman so he will be ready to take over next season after McCoy graduates and he fulfilled his goal this week. Gilbert however did not seem ready to play. He finished the day 0-5 with 2 interceptions, the only 2 Texas turnovers of the day. One of his interceptions was returned 23 yards for a score by Travis Lewis. That narrowed the seemingly insurmountable lead to 38-31 with over five minutes to play in the fourth.

The first string Texas offense trotted onto the field the next series to attempt to wrap the game up. McCoy hit Williams wide open on the sideline and he scampered for 41 yards before being brought down at the OU 28. The next 3 plays were far less successful for the offense and they were forced to settle for a 38 yard field goal by Hunter Lawrence to extend the lead to 10 points with just over four minutes to go.

Landry Jones drove the Sooners down the field for a TD, and was aided by 2 personal foul penalties. A facemask penalty in the backfield on 3rd and 2 that would have halted the Sooners at the Texas 40 yard line, and a pass interference call on Earl Thomas that moved them inside the Texas 10 yard line on the next play. The Horn defense forced the Sooners to take 3:30 seconds off the clock on the drive. And with just over a minute to go OU was forced to kick the onside kick.

James Kirkendoll recovered the kick, but the drama was not over yet. The Texas offense was forced to convert 2 third downs. A 3rd and 7 where McCoy found Kirkendoll for 10 yards over the middle. And a 3rd and 3 where he found Jordan Shipley open for a 4 yard gain. Shipley appeared to fumble and the Sooners picked up the ball, but on further review he was found to have lost the ball when he hit the ground. McCoy took a knee on the next play to wind down the clock.

McCoy led the offense extremely well on the day completing 25 of his 34 attempts for 356 yards and 2 TD’s. He spread the ball around well to his receivers completing passes to 7 different receivers, 6 of whom had more than 3 catches on the day. Texas is continuing to split carries between Cody Johnson and Fozzy Whittaker and they combined for 31 carries for 128 yards and 2 TD, both TD’s being short goal line runs by Johnson. The Texas offense was faced with 18, yes that’s right, EIGHTEEN 3rd down situations, but converted on 13 of them. Overall it was a very efficient day for the Horns offense.

Roddrick Muckelroy led the defense with 6 tackles and they did a great job holding the Sooners 2 returning 1000 yard rushers to 23 yards on the ground. They continue however, to struggle against the pass giving up 319 yards to the Sooners through the air. And the second teamers were the main culprit. Nolan Brewster and Ben Wells both missed tackles on Ryan Broyles 86 yard TD catch and run. With that pass play out of the mix the Horns fared much better only allowing 233 yards through the air.

Coach Bulgy said he still has confidence in his freshman QB even though he had a shaky outing. “We all know he is going to be a great one before he gets done. People forget we have been spoiled by Vince Young and Colt being our last 2 leaders on offense. They both struggled their So. year and Vince really didn’t hit his stride until his Junior season. He’ll learn from this game, and get better.†McCoy echoed the sentiment saying, “He makes all the throws in practice, he will be very good at QB for Texas next season.â€ÂÂ

Coach Bulgy also knows that his team is in the thick of an interesting race for the Big XII title. The Longhorns have to visit Stillwater in a few weeks to take on the Oklahoma State Cowboys in what could be a Big XII south title game. And then they have a talented and very young Texas A&M Aggie team in College Station. “Both of those games will be huge but we have some other tough games to get through before we even begin to think about those games.†Coach Bulgy was echoed by his star QB, “We know both of those teams will show up to play, but we have several other games we need to worry about first.â€ÂÂ

Coach Will Muschamp knows he needs to get his defense ready for the Big XII season. Texas will be facing some very talented offensive teams, and he knows defense wins championships, “With the offenses we will face going forward we have to be on point the rest of the season. And if the guys lower on the depth chart get to play they need to play with a sense of urgency, and not allow a team who is on the ropes to get back into the game. I was very disappointed in them today, and they will feel it on Monday at practice.â€ÂÂ

The Horns will travel to Columbia to face the Missouri Tigers this week before playing the Oklahoma State Cowboys in Stillwater. It will be a tough few weeks for the Horns, but they should be ready.

9. hornfaninbama

Texas Destroys Mizzou​

Wins In Columbia 58-20

Columbia, MO- Tough defense, a power running attack, and solid special teams led the Longhorns to victory over the talented Missouri Tigers on Saturday. Cody Johnson had over 100 yards and a TD, the defense scored twice and D.J. Monroe scored on a kickoff return to lead the Longhorns.

The Horns played most of the game with a solid lead, so Colt McCoy only threw the ball a total of 14 times for a paltry 99 yards. Cody Johnson and Fozzy Whittaker carried the load on offense, toting the rock a total of 34 times for 173 yards and 2 TD’s combined. The Horns led 21-3 at the end of the first quarter and 38-13 at halftime.

The Texas defense had a very solid game forcing 7 turnovers, the second time this season they have forced that many. 4 fumbles and 3 interceptions by the Tigers doomed their offense despite outgaining the Longhorns 350 to 340 in total offense.

Mizzou cut the Texas lead to 21-10 with their first drive of the second quarter, but any hope of retaining the momentum they stole from Texas was lost on the kickoff. D.J. Monroe took the kickoff back 94 yards to negate the Tigers TD, and put Texas up 28-10. That was the closest Mizzou would get for the rest of the day. Hunter Lawrence nailed 3 field goals on the day, including a 50 yarder, to be named the player of the game. That shows how dominating Texas was on both sides of the ball.

Curtis Brown could have been named the player of the game; he had 10 tackles including a tackle for loss. Aaron Williams also had the potential to be named the player of the game; he finished with 8 tackled two passes deflected, a forced fumble and an interception. The defensive secondary knew they needed to come up big in this game, and they performed well against the spread attack of Missouri. The top 6 tacklers on the day were in the secondary. James Kirkendoll, a wide receiver even got in on the act, recording 2 tackles including a tackle for loss, and even intercepted a pass which he returned for a TD.

Will Muschamp’s griping at the low depth chart players worked this week as they kept the starters on the bench from the middle of the 3rd quarter on, and held the Tigers to 0 points. Mizzou scored a TD on returned fumble late in the 4th quarter to make the game 55-20. After that the Longhorns got the ball back and wound down the clock.

10. hornfaninbama

Longhorns Close 2010 Strong​

Texas Beats Bama in Cotton Bowl

Dallas, TX- The Longhorns closed out the 2010 season on a high note byt defeating the Alabama Crimson Tide in the Cotton Bowl.

The Longhorns sent Sr. QB Colt McCoy out on a high note by winning his final game in a Texas uniform. For most of the game it didn’t look like the Horns were going to get it done. They trailed 21-12 late in the 3rd quarter before the offense finally got on track and scored some points.

Texas jumped out to an early 12-0 lead and appeared to be heading for a rout, until the Tide scored 2 60 yard TD’s. With 1:20 left in the second quarter the Tide scored on a 65 yard pass to Julio Jones, and less than a minute later scored again from more than 60 yards out on a 67 yard catch by Marquis Maze to put the Tide up 14-12 heading into halftime.

John Chiles, the winner of the kick returner of the year award, fumbled the second half kickoff and the Crimson Tide recovered to set up a 22 yard pass from McElroy to Maze again for a 21-12 lead. From there the Texas Longhorns took over. Colt McCoy led the offense down the field and capped the drive with a 24 yard pass for a score to Malcolm Williams. The third quarter ended with the Horns still trailing 22-21, but they were moving down the field.

Hunter Lawrence kicked a 38 yard FG to take the lead with just over 6 minutes to go. Leigh Tiffin answered however a few minutes later to give Bama the lead back. Texas scored the last 3 TD of the game to win 39-24.

The Longhorn defense held the Bama offense to 45 yards on 40 carries, and except for the two long pass plays kept the Tide in check most of the day. Mark Ingram had 62 yards on 31 carries, and was stuffed on a regular basis by the Horns. They also sacked Greg McElroy 6 times. Earl Thomas led the team with 15 tackles from the free safety position. Normally a FS leading the team in tackles is a sign of a weak defense, the Horns played well all day.

The Horns scored on 125% of their redzone possessions (it’s true look it up), and John Chiles nearly took his a punt back for what would have been his first PR TD of the season, but was stopped after 51 yards when the punter took him out of bounds. He returned 3 kicks for TD this year en route to winning the KR of the Year award.

11. Wellar21

Wellar21 Walk On

Yeah PRs are so hard to return in this years game. How did you score on 125% of your redzone possessions? lol I recently had a game my QB was 6 of 5 Completion attempts not sure how that happens either.

12. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

weird aha 125% what the heck

13. SPatin

SPatin Walk On

I had a game earlier this season where at one point Jacory Harris was 9/8 passing... Was hoping to finish the game above 100% but didn't. I thought it was pretty funny though and I'm not sure how it happened. However, I've seen it occur in year's past too!

14. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

Jacory Harris = homo

- Has a high pitched, effeminate voice
    - Would rather be lithe and thin than eat meat
    - wears pink shoes
    - carves things about other dudes into his hair
    - throws the ball like a girl/fag (soft, no mustard, gentle)
    - complained about his QB at MNW before he started throwing the ball too hard and hurting his hands

"not that there's anything wrong with that"

15. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

I have noticed that sometimes I will run an option play, lateral the ball to my HB and it will show up in the stats as a completed pass/reception. Perhaps thats where the extra completion comes from...seeing as you didn't call a pass play or actually attempt a pass, you pressed the lateral button, it wouldn't register a pass attempt. I'm guessing the cpu is taking into account where the HB catches the ball, determining whether it was a forward pass or a option lateral. Just a thought.

16. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

And you said the Big 12 was full of pussies?

17. dharvey09

dharvey09 Walk On

hahahaha when Suh leaves the manlyness of the Big 12 goes down about 4 notches

18. Wellar21

Wellar21 Walk On

Good thinking but I was 6/5 and I never run the option, this game has plenty of glitches tho so Im sure its something dumb.